• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamlet

They did cut something like 6 minutes from the finale, I wonder if Kai and Jinora were part of the stuff that was cut.

The toph plot did go nowhere, but I guess she had firmly committed to being a cranky dirty loner hobo so I'm not really surprised.

I thought the spirits had withdrawn from the mortal plane because a tyrant was fucking with spirit energy and the spirits were just content for the humans to wipe themselves out so they just fucking gg'd back home.

A lot Toph was just fanservice for the fans. I still liked it though. Also there was never any official confirmation that the episodes had an extra six minutes.

Daemul

Jinora did nothing but get captured again. I don't even hate her character, but sometimes it doesn't feel like she earned her tattoos. She knows that spirit stuff and helped Korra take down Zaheer, but you would think she would captured again. And yeah I would've liked seeing her and Kai interact once before the series ended since I like Kai. I thought he turned his shit around pretty well at the end of last season and turned into a nice young man after blasting off into puberty.

I will forever maintain that giving Jinora her tattoos is the worst decision Tenzin has ever made. It made no fucking sense then, it makes no fucking sense now.

Wanderer5

Ah the memories. A lot people seemed so certain she was part of Red lotus after this particular reaction.

PkV6J6Q.gif

Evil Opal stuff was pretty funny too, especially when it seem to came to be due to the look she gave at that dinner scene.XD

XAL

The creators have basically stated that korrasami was only a thing during season 3 & 4. There wasn't an intent to ship them until after season 2, merely to end makorra.

Yup? My 2.5 was meant as two and a half seasons.

A lot Toph was just fanservice for the fans. I still liked it though. Also there was never any official confirmation that the episodes had an extra six minutes.

I just wanted Toph to destroy the spirit cannon with some god tier metal bending.

They managed to building a ridiculously huge mecha, why not another proto spirit canon that could have the kinks fixed soon after they succeeded in making the train one? Wouldn't have been that much of a stretch.

Evil Opal stuff was pretty funny too, especially when it seem to came to be due to the look she gave at that dinner scene.XD

e11.jpg

Toa TAK

Banned
No that finale bar the last 5 minutes was awful. CGI everywhere, kuvira...idk wtf she was doing, korra hardly using the avatar state to wreck shit like last time, the "big" moments didn't feel very big outside of mako and meelo, talk no jutsu was trash, asamis father's sacrifice was whatever at best, spirits never showed up again, suyin still sucks.

The last 5 minutes where pretty much the only redeeming factor. And it was very good.
Naaah.

But then again, I loved the Kaiju battle in Book 2. So I'm probably wrong I guess.

I have the worst taste in all of Korra fandom.
LSQdQIY.png

post-46067-charlton-heston-laughing-gif-I-M2zI.gif

Sorry for the constant Mako ribbing, this shit is just too hilarious.
I love how at the bottom it rubs salt in the wound by having an article saying "how bryke is real".

I blame Su for everything that went down in season 4.

I know it's a popular thought but if Su doesn't want to take the next three years of her life trying to restore peace to the earth kingdom, she really doesn't need to. It's not her fault everything fell into ruin, it's not her responsibility to fix it. Just because she din't take the job doesn't mean she is to blame. I'll never get that logic.

Book 4 finale was dumb fun man, giant robot was so boring to watch. Bender on bender fights are what I love about Avatar and all we really got was a weak Korra vs Kuvira fight where Korra didn't use Avatar state for some dumb reason.

XAL

Naaah.

But then again, I loved the Kaiju battle in Book 2. So I'm probably wrong I guess.

I have the worst taste in all of Korra fandom.

I love how at the bottom it rubs salt in the wound by having an article saying "how bryke is real".

Found this on tumblr hhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Varney's reaction is fucking priceless.

tumblr_naw0mbUGYu1qez005o1_250.gif
tumblr_naw0mbUGYu1qez005o2_250.gif

tumblr_naw0mbUGYu1qez005o3_250.gif
tumblr_naw0mbUGYu1qez005o4_250.gif

Varney settin' that Mako nonsense straight.

Daemul

I actually kind of feel bad for Mako. I think you could make an argument that he was the most useful team Avatar member after Korra. He should have no probs picking up ladies though but its a bit weird to see a character have no potential interest at the conclusion.

I think it's just weird how Korra and Asami eloped, like that's a pretty big escalation after only just discovering your romance. Mako and Bolin didn't even get an invite, or a goodbye as far as we saw.

We had a discussion about this in OT1, but Mako and Bolin got completely ignored in the end, especially Mako. Bolin at least has Opal, so it won't really affect him much, but Mako, after that speech pledging eternal loyalty to Korra, got made to look like a sucker. To quote Azula, he took the biggest L out of everyone.

Omikaru

The hypocrisy here is kind of understandable, actually, at least from Su's perspective.

Now if Bataar Jr. gets off without any punishment in the eyes of the law for the shit he's done, then that's a different matter entirely.

The way I see it, him and Kuvira will be spending a long time behind bars for their crimes.

Hamlet

LSQdQIY.png

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-46067-charlton-heston-laughing-gif-I-M2zI.gif

Sorry for the constant Mako ribbing, this shit is just too hilarious.
Poor Mako.
Yup? My 2.5 was meant as two and a half seasons.

I just wanted Toph to destroy the spirit cannon with some god tier metal bending.

They managed to building a ridiculously huge mecha, why not another proto spirit canon that could have the kinks fixed soon after they succeeded in making the train one? Wouldn't have been that much of a stretch.
Yeah that would have been fun. Still I found her reasoning for not doing it solid enough I suppose. Would have been nice to see her still stay on as a Mentor or something.
Totally evil
j1TdpaBQSu8Y7.jpg

The hypocrisy here is kind of understandable, actually, at least from Su's perspective.

Now if Bataar Jr. gets off without any punishment in the eyes of the law for the shit he's done, then that's a different matter entirely.

The way I see it, him and Kuvira will be spending a long time behind bars for their crimes.

Well Su got off for bad stuff she's done in the past so like mother like son maybe?

Hamlet

tumblr_nh2a8bRg1V1rptk5lo1_500.jpg

tumblr_nh2a8bRg1V1rptk5lo2_500.jpg

tumblr_nh2a8bRg1V1rptk5lo3_500.jpg

Howdy, friends. It’s been a doozy of a year for me. Lots of ups and downs, though thankfully much more of the former than the latter. Lots of work, lots of travel, lots of monumental benchmarks, all leading up to a lot of major changes in my life and career. I’m going on a couple long road trips in the coming weeks with my best buddy Gunther, and I am looking forward to *finally* getting back to taking photos again along the way. Hopefully my long-dormant photography Tumblr blog will start getting some regular updates as a result.

I want to thank all of the absolutely incredible people I have had the pleasure of working with over my many years at Nickelodeon since I started working there over 14 years ago. So many people throughout the company, in both Los Angeles and New York, have shown an intense passion for the two series Mike and I created together. We couldn’t have done it without them. And thanks to all our friends at Studio Mir and Studio Reve for their invaluable contributions to the animation production on Korra. I wish you all the best on your future animated projects.

Thanks especially to all the wonderful Avatar and Korra fans out there in the world. I really can’t put my feelings into words. So, just… thank you. Take care of each other! I leave you with my storyboards for the final shot in the finale. I hope you all have a happy, safe, and wonderful end of the year, and an even better 2015!

Love, Bryan
Bryan

Astral Dog

Asami deserved that ending more than Mako, poor girl only suffered through the series, Make didn' t even apologize for what he did to her.

Mako should have something else, like a medal, or be made a hero along with Bolin.

Korra and Asami had a bond from S1... aang and katara were allowed very explicit foreshadowing e.g. almost kiss in 'The Cave of Two Lovers episode'. That type of overt physical comedy/dramatic romance of Aang+Kataara, Vaarick+Zhuli, Bolin+Eska etc is not allowed for same-sex couples on Nick. Instead Bryke had to show the the bond in other ways. The bond between Asami and Korra is very obvious by the final battle:

*shrug*

There would have been a mostly acceptable amount of build up if they hadn't tried to make it the end end of the series. It wasn't important enough in the series to warrant that spot. If they had done it at any other time it would have been fine.

Kangi

A result of a reddit poll asking what people ship. Assuming the LoK results will come later, but for now the TLA results:

I am extremely disappointed by the low Aang / Zuko and Toph / The Duke results.

Dear lord, lol.

And Mako is surely pulling all da girlz after all that.
Just the fact that nobody has even tried to introduce Mako to a woman is sad. It's worse than with Lin because Mako doesn't have Lin's hang ups. And I don't exactly equate emotional happiness to being with someone, I just hate seeing people that alone.

Su opted to chill out in Zaofu as people in Republic City asked to help bring peace to the Earth Kingdom. There was really no logical excuse she gave either just said no. This provoked Kuvira to do what she did. Many people have been pretty critical of her nonchalant behavior towards it. I would've been fine with her not doing it personally if she sent a couple of experienced advisers to oversee Kuvira and aid her in quelling the bandits half the crap she did probably would not have happened, but nope she just disowned her and tried to absolve herself of the whole situation while being critical of it as well.

A person is never too late to take a shit on Book 2.

You can't blame Su for Kuvira's escalation. That's bullshit. Raiko and (as far as we know) Tenzin supported Kuvira. What's Su gonna do? Like she expected Kuvira to go insane and power-hungry? That's bull. She didn't approve of Kuvira, but she had no reason to go against her. In fact, up until Kuvira did her big "I'm not giving back the power" the only people that had beef with her were the Beifongs (minus Lin). It was strictly a personal beef.

Didn't say that but it was really awful. Kuvira is wasted potential, the whole toph plot led nowhere really, the finale was trash, whatever happened to the spirits? There where no big character moments like there was in book 3 of last airbender and the finale only gave the spotlight to bolin and mako. Kai and jinora do nothing or are gone.

At least meelo and ikki had their moment.

But book 4 was awful. Zaheer and crew should have been endgame.

No that finale bar the last 5 minutes was awful. CGI everywhere, kuvira...idk wtf she was doing, korra hardly using the avatar state to wreck shit like last time, the "big" moments didn't feel very big outside of mako and meelo, talk no jutsu was trash, asamis father's sacrifice was whatever at best, spirits never showed up again, suyin still sucks.

The last 5 minutes where pretty much the only redeeming factor. And it was very good.

Your complaints about the spirits...I'm not getting. You're upset because they didn't show up? I mean, they did after Korra opened up a new portal, but the spirits straight up said they weren't going to get involved in this war. I agree that considering opening the portals was apparently a big deal, it really didn't SEEM like it was but that was a missed opportunity overall. Can't really put all of that on the finale.

Also, there was no "Toph plot." I'm not sure if that's even a valid complaint. Her "plot" was to assist Korra and bail out and reconcile with her family. Not really any "plot" at all. Not even a character arc, really.

The rest sounds like a lot of general, vague complaining save for Kuvira being wasted potential. I hardly think you'll find someone who'll disagree on that point, though.

Just the fact that nobody has even tried to introduce Mako to a woman is sad. It's worse than with Lin because Mako doesn't have Lin's hang ups. And I don't exactly equate emotional happiness to being with someone, I just hate seeing people that alone.

One of the many things they didn't have time for in the finale. Maybe comics one day.

Flandy

A result of a reddit poll asking what people ship. Assuming the LoK results will come later, but for now the TLA results:

Zutara is way too low
I call bullshit on this poll

:lol at Zuko/Honor

You can't blame Su for Kuvira's escalation. That's bullshit. Raiko and (as far as we know) Tenzin supported Kuvira. What's Su gonna do? Like she expected Kuvira to go insane and power-hungry? That's bull. She didn't approve of Kuvira, but she had no reason to go against her. In fact, up until Kuvira did her big "I'm not giving back the power" the only people that had beef with her were the Beifongs (minus Lin). It was strictly a personal beef.
But they asked Su to help, not Kuvira, Kuvira took it upon herself to do something that she wasn't even asked to do. Raiko only seemed to approve of Kuvira because she was getting results and cleaning the area so he could later install a puppet regime under Wu. Nobody expected Kuvira to go off the handle, but she wouldn't have been the one doing anything had Su "stepped up" and took it upon herself to do it like she was asked to. The Bei Fongs had a problem with Kuvira because Kuvira caused a rift in their family and they had an idea what was going on in her regime with the labor camps. If Su didn't just flat out banish Kuvira the way she did she could've helped Kuvira find a better way at managing the whole situation. Suyin never helped in that situation, all she did was judge without offering any kind of solution.

CDiggity

That's what disappointing you? Sokka/Boomerang only had 5 votes. Boomerang always comes back, they are the best ship.

Ugh Eska and Bolin. It did have a few amusing moments.

But seriously once again. "Show, not tell" is the main thing. Just look at Varrick and Zhu LI, the other couple that got together in the end. Do you see how defined their relationship is? That's the thing that is necessary. All we knew about Korra and Asami are 'We're friends and we fight together!"

Even if they weren't meant to be a thing from the get go, at least build the relationship between the two so it could work. Bryke couldn't even do that >=(

mm, I really agree with you. I don't know if they showed enough chemistry between the two for it to feel believable for me. It's a nice pairing that was kind of let down by the poor build up and writing.

But they asked Su to help, not Kuvira, Kuvira took it upon herself to do something that she wasn't even asked to do. Raiko only seemed to approve of Kuvira because she was getting results and cleaning the area so he could later install a puppet regime under Wu. Nobody expected Kuvira to go off the handle, but she wouldn't have been the one doing anything had Su "stepped up" and took it upon herself to do it like she was asked to. The Bei Fongs had a problem with Kuvira because Kuvira caused a rift in their family and they had an idea what was going on in her regime with the labor camps. If Su didn't just flat out banish Kuvira the way she did she could've helped Kuvira find a better way at managing the whole situation. Suyin never helped in that situation, all she did was judge without offering any kind of solution.

Why should Su have gotten involved? I understand why she'd maintain an isolationist position, especially in a time of chaos where keeping her city and family safe was extremely important in that time. To rule Ba Sing Se and put the kingdom in order is tons of extra responsibility, so what would be the point of calming it down if she didn't want that? Go in, clear it out, and then hand it over to Raiko? I bet that would've ended up so much better. On top of that, she'd be supporting a system she didn't approve of.

You're blaming Su for a chain of events that could have broken at any moment in time. Should she have acted sooner? Probably, assuming that she knew about it before the whole speech in Republic City because as far as we're concerned that's when she found out. Did she make some poor decisions? Yup, mostly of the assassination variety. There's no way blaming her for everything is valid.

Also, what was the reason why Raiko didn't just use the United Republic army? I ask, because I don't remember if he even gave a reason and if he did, I don't recall it.

It's just Mako, bro, he has legions of tumblr fans all to himself.
So, Kuvira will be fine, too. :p
Mako is destined to become the male version of Lin.
What would you rather happen to you: Being emotionally(and literally) scarred by your mother and sister, or having two people you previously dated seemingly switch sexual orientation to be with each other?
Prince Wu

5xs5Wbg.gif
lewd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom