• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt they did it for attention, but the fact the a 54 EP series is probably going to be remembered the most for 30sec of time is sad.

ATLA/ Batman TAS/ Both Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball z all will be remembered for the things they did. The fact that Z managed to get a remake and have a new movie take 6th place in rankings 11 years after the first run ended over here shows something.

Legit, 10 years from now, do you think Legend Of Korra is going to get a movie.

I don't even think the series is bad, just meh.

That's not really fair, you're comparing a 54 episode series with a franchise that is practically a national treasure and ran every week with nearly 300 episodes. Of course Dragonball is getting new movies. That was never going to be in the cards for Korra. It's not a reflection of the writing, it's just not as popular. I'm glad to think in 10 years it will still be remembered for something, rather than be forgotten.

Ochi

Neo Member
Don't remind me of the The Last Airbender film.

what_a_twist.jpg

Blackhead

Redarse
One more blush, another tentative handhold would have GONE MILES to making the ship a far more believable occurrence.
No it would not. These are arbitrary requests for more foreshadowing or whatever. Either you see it or you don't.

The hair thing was lame because it's stereotypical (girls and their hair, amirite?) and even on a "gender normative" issue Korra is almost never complemented on her looks in Season 2 (post break up) or 3 IIRC.

All I would've wanted would've been ONE more scene with the two getting some serious discussion and the sort of doubt that comes with placing your trust and faith in another human being prior to entering a relationship.
*shrug* don't care. Relationships and their depictions run the whole gamut and that's okay. Sometimes you show two people giving each other a smile and then cut to them having sex in the next scene.

One more blush, another tentative handhold would have GONE MILES to making the ship a far more believable occurrence.

The hair thing was lame because it's stereotypical (girls and their hair, amirite?) and even on a "gender normative" issue Korra is almost never complemented on her looks in Season 2 (post break up) or 3 IIRC.

All I would've wanted would've been ONE more scene with the two getting some serious discussion and the sort of doubt that comes with placing your trust and faith in another human being prior to entering a relationship.

The scene right at the end of book 3 was telling enough. Asami was helping an ailing Korra with her hair for the ceremony. There was enough context there to suggest they has something blooming together. And the fact that Korra wrote only Asami, not anyone else. Another blush would just be adding in an anime trope that wasn't needed.

The scene right at the end of book 3 was telling enough. Asami was helping an ailing Korra with her hair for the ceremony. There was enough context there to suggest they has something blooming together. And the fact that Korra wrote only Asami, not anyone else. Another blush would just be adding in an anime trope that wasn't needed.

People can help their friends with hair without it being romantic. I think the letters were more telling.

Also I wonder if their romance sort of culminated at the end there or they had already declared their feelings off screen or something. Or if that last shot literally was the first outward manifestation.

People can help their friends with hair without it being romantic. I think the letters were more telling.

Of course they can. But in that scenario it's more than just looking pretty. It's that Asami was one of the few people Korra would allow close enough to her to see how weak she still was after the fight with Zaheer. Korra was prideful, she hated the thought of someone helping her get dressed and having to push her around in a chair. Only the person you trust most is going be that close to you in your weak and dark hour.

360pages

I legit have nothing against the series. But it is easily heading towards being remembered for its ending rather than the whole.

Even with Naruto and its shipping clusterfuck ending, there was still more to talk about since it introduced a new generation of characters.

The ending left nothing, no real future plans for the characters, no nothing.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I legit have nothing against the series. But it is easily heading towards being remembered for its ending rather than the whole.

Even with Naruto and its shipping clusterfuck ending, there was still more to talk about since it introduced a new generation of characters.

no real future plans? korra and asami have just entered a relationship, i think that counts as something

Kinvara

It's not like we got that sort of ending with A:TLA.

We had no idea what kind of kids the characters in A:TLA would end up having. Or what they would actually do during peacetime.

Daemul

Don't remind me of the The Last Airbender film.

I remember watching that movie sometime, but I barely remember any part of it except for Asami and Slumdog Millionaire being in it.

It must have been alright, because I'm certain I would clearly remember it if it sucked, unless it sucked so bad that I've pretty much erased it from my memory, which could be why I'm struggling to recall any part of it.

Yeah, it probably sucked.

Chariot

Can't wait for the Legend of Korra live action movie.

Starring:
Kristen Steward as Korra (blankstare with action can only work)
Michael Sera as Bolin (Almost fitting)
Justin Timberlake as Mako (I don't know, he is white)
Jeese Eisenberg as Tenzin (People thought he could be Lex, so why not Tenzin)
Shah Rukh Khan as Amon (He is evil, of course his skin is dark, he will also sing a lot)
Aaron Paul as Amon's Lieutenant ("Yeah, equality, bitch!")

360pages

It's not like we got that sort of ending with A:TLA.

We had no idea what kind of kids the characters in A:TLA would end up having. Or what they would actually do during peacetime.

We know Zuko was Fire Lord, TYlee joined the warriors

Iroh opened his tea shop, Zuko was planning on looking for his mom. Add to the fact we got to see the entire team interact one more time as a group also helped.

Shouta

What other hints could they add? There's clear emotional intimacy and also signs of attraction. The only thing left is physical intimacy and if they can't even hint at a kiss I'm not sure how they are supposed to avoid the censors there

More than what they did in the first 3 seasons.

But serious answer, they would have to do a lot more beyond just adding a few things. They'd need to rework the series, which probably would have the additional effect of making the series around it way better than it is now.

Also I wonder if their romance sort of culminated at the end there or they had already declared their feelings off screen or something. Or if that last shot literally was the first outward manifestation.

The hair is common with girls and it's likely Mako and Bolin don't know how to do long hair anyway.The letters thing wasn't very telling to me because of the way they setup the relationships around Korra. Considering her feelings on what happened, it very much ruled out Tenzin, Mako, and Bolin as folks she could communicate with. That left her only female friend, Asami for her to confide in.

Kinvara

The hair is common with girls and it's likely Mako and Bolin don't know how to do long hair anyway.The letters thing wasn't very telling to me because of the way they setup the relationships around Korra. Considering her feelings on what happened, it very much ruled out Tenzin, Mako, and Bolin as folks she could communicate with. That left her only female friend, Asami for her to confide in.

eh, Korra is not the kind of person that has people over to do makeovers.

We know Zuko was Fire Lord, TYlee joined the warriors

Iroh opened his tea shop, Zuko was planning on looking for his mom. Add to the fact we got to see the entire team interact one more time as a group also helped.

The Zuko's mom thing was incredibly frustrating and unnecessary. Either way we still don't know what the majority of the cast ended up doing after the war.

Daemul

"I feel like I've just begun."

The ending is open ended, it allows any future stories to either pick up right where the show leaves off or do a new Avatar. Though I'd prefer more Korra.

I would love to see more Korra books, if only because the "The End" would neeed to be removed for subsequent re showings of the episode lol.

I worry that with more books, Bryke would eventually fuck up the whole Korrasami thing though(I don't trust their writing), it might be best just to leave the series where it is.

Blackhead

Redarse
More than what they did in the first 3 seasons.

But serious answer, they would have to do a lot more beyond just adding a few things. They'd need to rework the series, which probably would have the additional effect of making the series around it way better than it is now.
Why do you keep doing that? They don't have to setup Korrasami from the very first season, especially considering that the characters first had other relationships

Well there you have it. Asami and Korra are extremely well established as close friends. Close friends deciding to try a romantic relationship is extremely believable and rarely needs much more justification. The reason for the disconnect is because they are a same sex friendship. If the asami character was male you would accept the hints so far. Wanting the writers to first justify/hint/explain that they are gay/lesbian/bi/queer before revealing the romantic relationship is... well I'll just say that I don't think that justification is needed. It's not a lust/love at first sight relationship.

Can't wait for the Legend of Korra live action movie.

Starring:
Kristen Steward as Korra (blankstare with action can only work)
Michael Sera as Bolin (Almost fitting)
Justin Timberlake as Mako (I don't know, he is white)
Jeese Eisenberg as Tenzin (People thought he could be Lex, so why not Tenzin)
Shah Rukh Khan as Amon (He is evil, of course his skin is dark, he will also sing a lot)
Aaron Paul as Amon's Lieutenant ("Yeah, equality, bitch!")

TBH Jane from Jane the Virgin would be a good Korra imo

CDiggity

I hope that you realize that even though this is a relationship between two girls who care for each other very much, it ultimately came from the fantasy of a man who wanted them together for his own personal amusement. He obviously did it because of fetishistic reasons and not because of profess because Bryke are part of the patriarchy whether they know it or not. They perpetuate the concept of women HAVING to be in romances because they are too helpless to be independent, but they also force this mentality by showing that being single as a woman leads you to be cranky and irritable. Bryke are pushing a misogynist agenda under the guise of progress but you all are too blind because of some nice words and blush.

If you think I'm serious you're crazy

That's different, your mom just has an aversion to violence and drugs. It's not that she doesn't understand it because of her world view (well, I don't know your mom, so I'm assuming) she just doesn't like it.

Yeah it's not the best example. My main point of needing a certain mindset in order understand writing (which is ultimately what decides what's good or bad anyway, since things like this are subjective) applies, I think. "Hetero-lens" still has a degree of validity. I think a lot of people are taking it the wrong way, anyhow.

Why do you keep doing that? They don't have to setup Korrasami from the very first season, especially considering that the characters first had other relationships

Well there you have it. Asami and Korra are extremely well established as close friends. Close friends deciding to try a romantic relationship is extremely believable and rarely needs much more justification. The reason for the disconnect is because they are a same sex friendship. If the asami character was male you would accept the hints so far. Wanting the writers to first justify/hint/explain that they are gay/lesbian/bi/queer before revealing the romantic relationship is... well I'll just say that I don't think that justification is needed. It's not a lust/love at first sight relationship.

Azula made a good post pointing out that at the end of S2 Asami is pretty peeved at Korra for taking Mako back from her, and before that they were never really friends, they didn't have much interaction at all in S2 and in S1 they weren't too into eachother cause they both wanted that Mako. Cut to S3 and they're buddy-buddy as hell almost over night.

After that they built up the friendship a reasonable amount, but you can actually see the moment Bryke spun on their heels and decided they wanted it to be a thing.

DedValve

Banned
Rather than hints I just wish we had more korrasami time. They spent a lot of time together in Book 3 but didn't really interact much at all. The car scene was great and so was torturing Mako but after that they fight a few thugs, get lost in the desert (not really interacting all that much) and I think thats it unless I forgot something. Book 4 had the opposite problem where we barely saw Korra or Asami but the few times we did we had some great interactions like the flirting, bickering like an old couple, letter writing, etc. Most of that was from 1 episode. Just 1.

Korra and Asami needed way more interaction between each other especially since they have so much chemistry and work well together. Look at how much effort was put into Bolin and Varrick in book 4, imagine if just half of that was dedicated to more Korra and Asami?

Also let Asami fight some more. Did she even get one in book 4?

Asami in general was horribly managed, she's such a great character to when she's not being shitted on. I just realized that while book 3 did nothing to her book 4 repaid that with the death of her father lol. I mean, at least she got the girl at the end.

Kinvara

*love* gina from jane the virgin but imo any actress for Korra needs to be tall and somewhat muscular. I'm thinking beyonce/naomi campell/grace jones types not that slim emily blunt type. Same for Asami

Korra is like 5'7".

Asami is taller than her so she's like 5'10".

Blackhead

Redarse
Azula made a good post
oxymoron
pointing out that at the end of S2 Asami is pretty peeved at Korra for taking Mako back from her, and before that they were never really friends, they didn't have much interaction at all in S2 and in S1 they weren't too into eachother cause they both wanted that Mako. Cut to S3 and they're buddy-buddy as hell almost over night.

After that they built up the friendship a reasonable amount, but you can actually see the moment Bryke spun on their heels and decided they wanted it to be a thing.
Huh at the end of S2 Korra broke up with Mako. That lead to the clearing the any over any rivalries for his affections. Any way Korra and Asami were friends before that. We should get started on that LoK rewatch

Korra is like 5'7".

Asami is taller than her so she's like 5'10".
Hmm... I thought Korra was like 5'10"

but still Gina is only 5'3"

Hamlet

*love* gina from jane the virgin but imo any actress for Korra needs to be tall and somewhat muscular. I'm thinking beyonce/naomi campell/grace jones types not that slim emily blunt type. Same for Asami

No need to hire another actress for Asami as the voice actress Seychelle Gabriel for Asami already makes for a great Asami. Only issue is the height I suppose.

Vlaphor

Speaking of the movie, I recently discovered that there is a link between the movie and LOK. Seychelle Gabriel was both Princess Yue in the movie, as well as the voice of Asami. Just a neat little thing I found recently

Kinvara

Hmm... I thought Korra was like 5'10"

but still Gina is only 5'3"

Height isn't a big issue in casting (when it's only a matter of inches.)

Robert Downey Jr. is only 5'9" so he wears heels to make himself taller.

Besides, Gina Rodriguez is 30 and not Native American or Asian.

Blackhead

Redarse
Height isn't a big issue in casting (when it's only a matter of inches.)

Robert Downey Jr. is only 5'9" so he wears heels to make himself taller.

Besides, Gina Rodriguez is 30 and not Native American or Asian.

yes, and Tom Cruise is only 5'7" but is an action star. I just really don't want the Korra/Asami actresses to be petit

Water Tribe is Inuit or Native America. Gina is PuertoRican. But I think Avatar Korra was more muscular than the other water tribe women in the show

Shouta

I meant it as "Let's do each other's hair and make-up!"

Didn't know there was more than one meaning.

I thought you were referring to the letters and in that case I thought what you meant was that Korra wasn't the type of person to talk-up a storm while doing hair and make-up, lol

Azula made a good post pointing out that at the end of S2 Asami is pretty peeved at Korra for taking Mako back from her, and before that they were never really friends, they didn't have much interaction at all in S2 and in S1 they weren't too into eachother cause they both wanted that Mako. Cut to S3 and they're buddy-buddy as hell almost over night.

Mr. Fahrenheit answered for me but yeah. The problem is that in the first two seasons, they were antagonistic to each other due to Mako and had little in the way of friendship or onscreen time. Season 3 had a few times where they got paired up to kick ass but that's about it other than complimenting each other a few times. Then we jump to S4 where they're supposed in love with each other in some fashion.

This is the main problem with the series, they tell you X but don't show you Y. If Korrasami was supposed to be a thing from the get go then they should show the base of their relationship throughout the 4 seasons. It doesn't need to be the relationship outright but showing them as good friends that depend on each other to overcome things would be a hue step because we'd see why Korra or Asami would fall for each other. Fictional romances usually have that part of the equation. You get to see why they would like each other before they get together, lol.

Rather than hints I just wish we had more korrasami time. They spent a lot of time together in Book 3 but didn't really interact much at all. The car scene was great and so was torturing Mako but after that they fight a few thugs, get lost in the desert (not really interacting all that much) and I think thats it unless I forgot something. Book 4 had the opposite problem where we barely saw Korra or Asami but the few times we did we had some great interactions like the flirting, bickering like an old couple, letter writing, etc. Most of that was from 1 episode. Just 1.

Korra and Asami needed way more interaction between each other especially since they have so much chemistry and work well together. Look at how much effort was put into Bolin and Varrick in book 4, imagine if just half of that was dedicated to more Korra and Asami?

Also let Asami fight some more. Did she even get one in book 4?

Asami in general was horribly managed, she's such a great character to when she's not being shitted on. I just realized that while book 3 did nothing to her book 4 repaid that with the death of her father lol. I mean, at least she got the girl at the end.

Yeah, that's what I mean when they'd need to go back and change the first 3 seasons. They don't interact. They sometimes occupy the same space but interact? All of this stuff really adds up to it feeling forced. It'd be fine to have it but at least properly write the show.

Daemul

Speaking of the movie, I recently discovered that there is a link between the movie and LOK. Seychelle Gabriel was both Princess Yue in the movie, as well as the voice of Asami. Just a neat little thing I found recently

I remember watching that movie sometime, but I barely remember any part of it except for Asami and Slumdog Millionaire being in it.

It must have been alright, because I'm certain I would clearly remember it if it sucked, unless it sucked so bad that I've pretty much erased it from my memory, which could be why I'm struggling to recall any part of it.

Yeah, it probably sucked.

Coach-Mick-Mcarthy-Look-at-Camera-Smile.gif

That's where my celebrity crush for her VA first began. When I heard Asami speak for the first time in S1 I instantly recognised the voice and she became my fave character.

I keep saying this but if it was reality Korra and Asami would've thrown down in front of a bar. There's no way in hell that quarrel wouldn't have ended in either a drunken brawl or somebody's shit getting set on fire.

Blackhead

Redarse
Mr. Fahrenheit answered for me but yeah. The problem is that in the first two seasons, they were antagonistic to each other due to Mako and had little in the way of friendship or onscreen time. Season 3 had a few times where they got paired up to kick ass but that's about it other than complimenting each other a few times. Then we jump to S4 where they're supposed in love with each other in some fashion.

This is the main problem with the series, they tell you X but don't show you Y. If Korrasami was supposed to be a thing from the get go then they should show the base of their relationship throughout the 4 seasons. It doesn't need to be the relationship outright but showing them as good friends that depend on each other to overcome things would be a hue step because we'd see why Korra or Asami would fall for each other. Fictional romances usually have that part of the equation. You get to see why they would like each other before they get together, lol.

Korrasami was not supposed to be a thing from the get go.

Korra and Asami were antangostic before they became team Avatar midway in S1 after that they were friends. They are "supposed in love with each other" at the very end, the last scene of S4. Not sure what the problem is, ffs Korra and Asami were much closer friends compared to 'married' Eska and Bolin

Kinvara

yes, and Tom Cruise is only 5'7" but is an action star. I just really don't want the Korra/Asami actresses to be petit

Water Tribe is Inuit or Native America. Gina is PuertoRican. But I think Avatar Korra was more muscular than the other water tribe women in the show

Of course. If an actress were to play Korra, they should have to go through a strict training regimen. Just like Chris Pratt did for Guardians of the Galaxy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom