• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

360pages

Cell Saga got a bit out of hand when he shitted out those Cell Jr's and then it went through a couple of extensions after that. They never really knew when to end the damn sagas.

I will say, that every Saga ended with a bang though. Nothing ever felt "Wait...that's it?"

True they did climax well.

That's really the best part of the show. The Gohan vs Cell Kamehameha is just so damn epic.

For me as a kid watching on Toonami, the Cell (and Android) sagas had been going for MONTHS. And it culminated in this 45 minute long battle of wills (and strength). When Gohan finally disintegrates him it was the hypest moment of my childhood. The little kid had finally overcome.

The music was great too. When Cell starts charging his Kamehameha the Faulconee version of his theme is so sinister, impending, final. It was a great moment.

Tldr DBZ has good payoffs/climaxes.

Veelk

Banned
Yamcha vs God.

It's interesting because if we assume God is both benevolent and omniscient, would he give Yamcha the W knowing he needs it?

XAL

Real life Korra has a Naga dog.

O. Oh.

B47TLadCAAAayCo.jpg

Yamcha vs God.

It's interesting because if we assume God is both benevolent and omniscient, would he give Yamcha the W knowing he needs it?

Probably not, lmao. Even he wouldn't want to be the guy who lost to Yamcha.

Real life Korra has a Naga dog.

O. Oh.

B47TLadCAAAayCo.jpg

Sandra Prikker is really starting to think she's Korra... If she does, then by all means go and find a Asami *sips water*

When mouth guy hit the floor he immediately got back up.

Yamcha can't win against a character who at the most got about 30 seconds of combined airtime?!?

Probably not, lmao. Even he wouldn't want to be the guy who lost to Yamcha.

Sandra Prikker is really starting to think she's Korra... If she does, then by all means go and find a Asami *sips water*

Yamcha can't win against a character who at the most got about 30 seconds of combined airtime?!?
Bruh, what's wrong with you? She needs to track down a Kuvira!
whats-wrong-with-you.gif

The problem with DBZ, and a lot of shonen at a certain point, is that it became all about the hype moments. What used to be a huge, massive hype moment in DB, turned into the norm in DBZ. It was no longer about martial arts, because everyone can do high speed martial arts. It became about power levels, and in that was the problem. Giant energy attacks were a direct show of how high a power level was, and if your power level wasn't good enough you'd transform in order to raise it.

Granted, the transformations weren't that big of a deal early on. Up until Frieza, all that was there was Kaioken, and even that could be argued to just be a temporary boost and nothing more. You also had the Great Ape, but that showed up once (Vegeta) and it wasn't a surprise since it got used in DB. Then Frieza shows up, transforms three times, and whoops ass until Goku does what? He transforms in order to raise his power level significantly. Then the Cell saga had Saiyan transformations and Cell transformations EVERYWHERE. The Buu saga was even more ridiculous, since it increased the amount of Saiyan transformations, included the Majin stuff, Fusions, and on top of that, Buu transformed a shit load.

But like I said, this is a shonen problem in general. Transformations are supposed to be a big deal because there has to be a downside. The problem is that with stuff like DBZ, where they train constantly, the transformation loses its downside. The only way to mitigate this is by having the transformation become the norm, so then the transformation without a downside becomes a necessity. Bleach and OP suffer from the same damn thing. The thing is, OP gets away with it a bit more because the abilities within the world are so varied, that blatant power levels isn't a thing. It isn't as transparent, but even then OP became about constant transformations and big attacks and "trap card"-esque reveals. Oda can't write/draw an interesting fight to save his life, I swear. Bleach is sort of an in-between. The power level stuff is blatant, but the abilities are so varied that at the very least, the fights are still somewhat interesting.

YYH and HxH don't really suffer from this too much. Since, while the power levels increase, neither series becomes all about strictly the hype moments. Big energy blasts and transformations don't dominate the landscape (though the trap cards are insanely present. Especially in HxH).

I think Dragonball Yamcha would at least try a Wolf Fang Fist.
Nope he'd be too scared to fight himself. And himself from the future. And himself from the future who isn't with Bulma.
This is what happens when the author of something is a complete fanboy for his main character. He can't use some logic and let a side character have a moment to shine. It's like with Kakyoin in Stardust Crusaders or Lisa Lisa in Battle Tendency. Granted based on what I've read Araki gets a lot better with that in later chapters though.
The problem is that Toriyama always uses "the fans wanted it" as a cop-out, which basically means "I'm not responsible for my storytelling, because I just do the things that the fans want."
Yamcha vs. Foamy Mouth Guy

Who we got???
Foamy Mouth Guy, because he isn't Yamcha
Yamcha vs God.

No, because even the universe and all celestial beings do not respect Yamcha

The problem is that Toriyama always uses "the fans wanted it" as a cop-out, which basically means "I'm not responsible for my storytelling, because I just do the things that the fans want."
This alone makes me lose a good portion of respect for Toriyama. Don't get me wrong I know the fanbase keeps you fed but have some god damn integrity please. Best thing about YYH is that fucking cast doesn't job, not even goofball Kuwabara. Yeah he'll get his ass kicked by the big bad if it's called for, but he has actually won fights. Hiei curbstomps fools until you get to Chapter Black and the Spirit Tournament arc and even then he didn't fucking job, just had to not hold back and make some risky plays. Kurama was no fucking joke either. That cast my god that cast knew how to put in work.

TTGL EP 25:

Yoko's kiss of death strikes again. Go get some cats Yoko.

This is what happens when the author of something is a complete fanboy for his main character. He can't use some logic and let a side character have a moment to shine. It's like with Kakyoin in Stardust Crusaders or Lisa Lisa in Battle Tendency. Granted based on what I've read Araki gets a lot better with that in later chapters though.

He wasn't though since he did give them shots (hell he fucking wrote the end of an arc solely to push a fucking character and made a fucking clone of another as a delaying tactic) but apparently no one gave a shit and given the nature of those views/status/sales he just took what could be seen as the easy way out.

He wasn't though since he did give them shots (hell he fucking wrote the end of an arc solely to push a fucking character and made a fucking clone of another as a delaying tactic) but apparently no one gave a shit and given the nature of those views/status/sales he just took what could be seen as the easy way out.
I mean I get what you mean, but ugh, it just seemed to harm the show in the long run, then again what the hell do I know since the show is still damn popular. I guess it's just predictable the point that it's a joke now. I guess the fans are the bigger problem and less Toriyama himself.

I mean I get what you mean, but ugh, it just seemed to harm the show in the long run, then again what the hell do I know since the show is still damn popular. I guess it's just predictable the point that it's a joke now. I guess the fans are the bigger problem and less Toriyama himself.

I guess fans gonna like what they like. I wouldn't be surprised if DBZ = Goku to 99% of the people who hears about it (even though Goku has his "issues" lol)

And Toriyama isn't blameless in this though since i think there could have been a better way to handle this but hey i wasn't there when that stuff was being discussed :p

I guess fans gonna like what they like. I wouldn't be surprised if DBZ = Goku to 99% of the people who hears about it (even though Goku has his "issues" lol)

And Toriyama isn't blameless in this though since i think there could have been a better way to handle this but hey i wasn't there when that stuff was being discussed :p
I'm pretty sure Veelk will parachute in like he normally does and throw down a sermon. I just can't believe an anime that helped get me into anime as a kid just couldn't maintain its luster as I got older. I can still enjoy and look forward to watching Gundam Wing, but not DBZ. I don't hate it, but god damn it hasn't aged well.

I'm pretty sure Veelk will parachute in like he normally does and throw down a sermon. I just can't believe an anime that helped get me into anime as a kid just couldn't maintain its luster as I got older. I can still enjoy and look forward to watching Gundam Wing, but not DBZ. I don't hate it, but god damn it hasn't aged well.

I think its still okay since it was always about the hype but you are now older to criticize the bad parts surrounding that.

As for Gundam Wing that series kinda ruined me on the series as a whole since i fucking love the thing but its weak compared to the others and i just don't care about them.

Bailed on 0079 due to the garbage animation and Amuro being a asshat, watched Char's Counterattack though
since he grew the fuck up
and it was pretty dope overall, watched Stardust memories, 0083 (not a fan) and 2 episodes of Unicorn (which i really dug being a UC Gundam series)

You all should be giving this thread more hits.

its best that thread stays forgotten

You guys know he's right, right? A waifu is someone who is, at least, the waifuer's equal. Toa isn't. He's her slave, openly and willingly. She's not his waifu, he's her second bataar.
Not our fault we thought he had enough confidence to put himself on her level.

360pages

I think people like DBZ because it never really goes out of its way to delve deep into certain issues. It's simplicity is its best feature. Unlike Naruto or other series which try to have deeper meanings and sometimes fall flat. People usually are their just to see good fights. Which is fine.

Not every series needs to make you think about right and wrong and actions ect. Sometimes we need, (This guy is evil, beat him up!)

Toa TAK

Banned
You guys know he's right, right? A waifu is someone who is, at least, the waifuer's equal. Toa isn't. He's her slave, openly and willingly. She's not his waifu, he's her second bataar.

What the fuck?--nooooo!

Get out of here Veelk. Don't you have school stuff to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom