• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only am I seeing book 1 being favoured against book 4, but book 2 is being favoured against it too?! ROFL! I can already tell that the community rewatch is going to be hilarious.

Book 3 > book 4 > book 1 > book 2
Yeah, I don't get it. The only redeeming part of Book 2 is Beginnings and the fights during Harmonic Convergence. Plus the introduction of Varrick and Zhu Li.

The probending really brought down Book 1. Spirit of Competition was really annoying.

I'd rate the books the same as you.

I'm on the 7th episode of Young Justice Invasion...I'm loving this, will probably finish by Sunday. A lot of stuff just works, they've expanded the plot more to the point where it feels like every episode is a true continuation of the previous one, it's like one giant evolving episode almost. The characters work and they're well motivated, there's like triple crossing in this and it all just works because they take the time to explain the motivations. Even the shipping oddly works. It's blatant yes, but you like the characters so it's not much of a bother for me. I love Chesire, she's like my favorite female, and Zutana. Thanks for posting some Ming-Hua gifs, I miss that armless woman.

If Korra continues in comic form I hope it's Korra's Bizarre Vacation where spirits have really wierd powers and Koh is the Dio of the story sending evil spirits after Korra. If it happens I hope Asami is more of a Caesar than a Speedwagon, I wanna see her fight more!

If Korra continues in comic form I hope it's Korra's Bizarre Vacation where spirits have really wierd powers and Koh is the Dio of the story sending evil spirits after Korra. If it happens I hope Asami is more of a Caesar than a Speedwagon, I wanna see her fight more!
Tenzin will probably turn into Speedwagon since he was damn near useless the last time he was in the Spirit world. Korra will probably find a pedophile hog monkey that controls a ship.

Welp, it's Friday. I woke up and thought, "Hey, Korra da--- oh."

:(

It's over, you guys. It's really over. :(
Yep. :(

At least Korra and Asami were finally happy in the end.

Are both seasons of Young Justice on US Netflix? I may rewatch to help take the sting out of no more Korra.

Afrocious

I'm on the 7th episode of Young Justice Invasion...I'm loving this, will probably finish by Sunday. A lot of stuff just works, they've expanded the plot more to the point where it feels like every episode is a true continuation of the previous one, it's like one giant evolving episode almost. The characters work and they're well motivated, there's like triple crossing in this and it all just works because they take the time to explain the motivations. Even the shipping oddly works. It's blatant yes, but you like the characters so it's not much of a bother for me. I love Chesire, she's like my favorite female, and Zutana. Thanks for posting some Ming-Hua gifs, I miss that armless woman.

You just made me think of something. The shipping works (especially for
Kid Flash and Artemis
) because the characters stand well on their own, and instead of being defined by who they're with, when they have their own dynamic when together that may as well be its own character itself.

Take Super Boy and Mako. Superboy is a rightfully troubled as hell teen who manages to have an arc where he defines himself several times in the face of the person he loves and those who tempt him with the very powers he wants so badly.

What does Mako have? The most characterization he ever had involves a relationship. In fact, any characterization of the guy involves relationships - be it with Korra, Asami, or Bolin. Yeah, we had that little bit about the criminals he used to work for when doing his investigation for Book 2, but whatever came out of that. We never got any scene with Mako deciding it's best for him to be a cop. We never see him be given a paycheck and realize how different it is earning money as opposed to stealing to live, or how he and Bolin live in their own apartment when their family back in Ba Sing Se can only afford one place to live all cramped up.

In fact, why does Mako become a cop? Obviously for the convenience for the plot to have that investigation bit that ultimately reveals Varrick's treachery, but other than that, why?

Hamlet

No self control?

The Last Airbender has less characters because there was only 1 big bad in Ozai and it was all building up towards that one big fight. Not to mention there were only 3 seasons.

Korra had to have a new main enemy every season.

So I don't really think what you're saying has a lot of merit.

So would you say they have the perfect amount of characters then and no unnecessary characters?
I feel at times that their scope and the amount of characters exceed what they can do within the limited amount of time 13 episodes gives them. Especially since they're only about 20-23 minutes on average.
You have to agree though that they could have better utilized that Kai time somewhere else.

Afrocious

So would you say they have the perfect amount of characters then and no unnecessary characters?
I feel at times that their scope and the amount of characters exceed what they can do within the limited amount of time 13 episodes gives them. Especially since they're only about 20-23 minutes on average.
You have to agree though that they could have better utilized that Kai time somewhere else.

A:TLA had way more characters than LoK, except it had the space and writing to deal with them in mostly satisfactory ways.

Hamlet

Welp, it's Friday. I woke up and thought, "Hey, Korra da--- oh."

:(

It's over, you guys. It's really over. :(

Feels strange not having a new episode of Korra to watch.

A:TLA had way more characters than LoK, except it had the space and writing to deal with them in mostly satisfactory ways.

Yeah the extra episodes really helped them with that. I am curious as to how it would have turned out if Bryke got the 12 episode ATLA miniseries they initially wanted before Nick forced more episodes on them.

XAL

Not at all. It's just "no self control" is a bit much, sure there might be some unnecessary characters but if anything some seasons needed more episodes to really flesh out characters.

Kai and Jinora would have been good to explore more. Really odd that Kai+Jinora was built up in book 3 only to be ignored entirely in book 4. Kuvira could have used some more screentime in book 3 and more background in book 4. Bumi and Kya needed more development.

I mean the list goes on. If there were ~18 episodes a season instead of ~12 it would have been better. Except for maybe season 1, which was pretty damn tight in terms of character development. But then again it was conceived as a 1 time 12 ep miniseries.

Afrocious

Feels strange not having a new episode of Korra to watch.

Yeah the extra episodes really helped them with that. I am curious as to how it would have turned out if Bryke got the 12 episode ATLA miniseries they initially wanted before Nick forced more episodes on them.

Yeah I'm kinda confused about the miniseries thing.

Was Book 1 *the* miniseries? And then, after that, Nick wanted more episodes? If so, that was a shitty miniseries.

Chariot

Did you just ship Zuko with Zatanna? :D

Was Book 1 *the* miniseries? And then, after that, Nick wanted more episodes? If so, that was a shitty miniseries.
The weird part is that internally Nick considers Books 1 and 2 season one and Books 3 and 4 season two.

While ATLA had better pacing and better used it's secondary characters than Korra, I'm still in the camp that prefers Korra to ATLA.

XAL

Korra was supposed to be a 12 episode miniseries. Nick ordered more.

Pretty sure ATLA was always going to be more than 1 season from the beginning.

Afrocious

Another thing that bothers me since we're comparing YJ to Korra directly:

Considering LoK was made referencing several successful works, did Bryke not look at these same shows/movies/anime to see how they were written?

For Book 4, anything concerning the Amestris government within Fullmetal Alchemist minus Father would've worked just fine. Even a carbon copy.

You just made me think of something. The shipping works (especially for
Kid Flash and Artemis
) because the characters stand well on their own, and instead of being defined by who they're with, when they have their own dynamic when together that may as well be its own character itself.

Take Super Boy and Mako. Superboy is a rightfully troubled as hell teen who manages to have an arc where he defines himself several times in the face of the person he loves and those who tempt him with the very powers he wants so badly.

What does Mako have? The most characterization he ever had involves a relationship. In fact, any characterization of the guy involves relationships - be it with Korra, Asami, or Bolin. Yeah, we had that little bit about the criminals he used to work for when doing his investigation for Book 2, but whatever came out of that. We never got any scene with Mako deciding it's best for him to be a cop. We never see him be given a paycheck and realize how different it is earning money as opposed to stealing to live, or how he and Bolin live in their own apartment when their family back in Ba Sing Se can only afford one place to live all cramped up.

In fact, why does Mako become a cop? Obviously for the convenience for the plot to have that investigation bit that ultimately reveals Varrick's treachery, but other than that, why?
Every character on the show can technically stand on their own two feet, with or without their ship mate, which is the great thing. None of the characters are actually weak as people, they either have their own identity or are finding it and they could do it by themselves. The relationships they wind up being in teaches them a lot. Especially the one regarding
Superboy and Ms. Martian
. He needed to be in that relationship, because his connection to her really did soothe him, but after seeing her abuse her powers it was something that he ended in an attempt to teach her a lesson, you can tell he still loves her though. I really find the one between
Cheshire and Red Arrow
interesting though. I hope they show more of that one.
Did you just ship Zuko with Zatanna? :D
Cheshire with Zatanna...yum...oh I spelled her name wrong. I always get her and her fathers name all mixed up.

Chariot

Another thing that bothers me since we're comparing YJ to Korra directly:

Considering LoK was made referencing several successful works, did Bryke not look at these same shows/movies/anime to see how they were written?

For Book 4, anything concerning the Amestris government within Fullmetal Alchemist minus Father would've worked just fine. Even a carbon copy.
Would've been amazing. Zaofu could've worked pretty well as North Garrison.
I really find the one between
Cheshire and Red Arrow
interesting though. I hope they show more of that one.
*snicker*
You won't be disappointed.

Afrocious

The weird part is that internally Nick considers Books 1 and 2 season one and Books 3 and 4 season two.

While ATLA had better pacing and better used it's secondary characters than Korra, I'm still in the camp that prefers Korra to ATLA.

I knew the ordeal about the seasons. Strange.

Korra was supposed to be a 12 episode miniseries. Nick ordered more.

Pretty sure ATLA was always going to be more than 1 season from the beginning.

Of course ATLA was always intended for more books, where the books were actual seasons.

What I'm asking is: that miniseries LoK was to be intially: Was Book 1 that miniseries?

Hamlet

Not at all. It's just "no self control" is a bit much, sure there might be some unnecessary characters but if anything some seasons needed more episodes to really flesh out characters.

Kai and Jinora would have been good to explore more. Really odd that Kai+Jinora was built up in book 3 only to be ignored entirely in book 4. Kuvira could have used some more screentime in book 3 and more background in book 4. Bumi and Kya needed more development.

I mean the list goes on. If there were ~18 episodes a season instead of ~12 it would have been better. Except for maybe season 1, which was pretty damn tight in terms of character development. But then again it was conceived as a 1 time 12 ep miniseries.
I will agree with that. They certainly could have used more episodes and nick ordering them all at once would have helped a great deal also.

From Bryan himself

Initially, Nickelodeon picked up Korra as a 12-episode miniseries. Their idea was to do 12-episode arcs that were more standalone than the original Avatar series. Mike and I were cool with this idea, as we had originally wanted the seasons to be 12 episodes long instead of 20, and creatively we liked the idea of doing tighter story arcs.

The original plan was that if Nickelodeon wanted more episodes, they would order them 12 episodes at a time. But while we were in production on Book 1, Nickelodeon decided to change their season lengths from 20 episodes (like Avatar had) to the more standardized international length of 26 episodes. They liked how Book 1 was coming out and decided to round out the order to fit their new 26-episode mold, and we got a 14-episode pick-up, which became Book 2.

Then, the network wanted even more Korra, so they picked up another order of 26 episodes. Mike and I wanted to stick with the shorter “books,” so creatively we are splitting the second order of 26 into Books 3 & 4, 13 episodes each.

What makes this even more confusing is that the network considers each block of 26 episodes a “season,” which is another reason we try to stick to calling these Korra arcs “books.” So for the network’s purposes, Books 1 & 2 are Season 1, and Books 3 & 4 are Season 2.

Also what I was referring to was that Mike and Bryan initially pitched for ATLA to be 12 episodes for each book, But Nick wanted more episodes so we ended up with 20 episodes a book for ATLA.

XAL

I will agree with that. They certainly could have used more episodes and nick ordering them all at once would have helped a great deal also.

From Bryan himself

Also what I was referring to was that Mike and Bryan initially pitched for ATLA to be 12 episodes for each book, But Nick wanted more episodes so we ended up with 20 episodes a book for ATLA.

Ah I misread that then. Thanks for the clarification.

Afrocious

Initially, Nickelodeon picked up Korra as a 12-episode miniseries. Their idea was to do 12-episode arcs that were more standalone than the original Avatar series. Mike and I were cool with this idea, as we had originally wanted the seasons to be 12 episodes long instead of 20, and creatively we liked the idea of doing tighter story arcs.

The original plan was that if Nickelodeon wanted more episodes, they would order them 12 episodes at a time. But while we were in production on Book 1, Nickelodeon decided to change their season lengths from 20 episodes (like Avatar had) to the more standardized international length of 26 episodes. They liked how Book 1 was coming out and decided to round out the order to fit their new 26-episode mold, and we got a 14-episode pick-up, which became Book 2.

Then, the network wanted even more Korra, so they picked up another order of 26 episodes. Mike and I wanted to stick with the shorter “books,” so creatively we are splitting the second order of 26 into Books 3 & 4, 13 episodes each.

What makes this even more confusing is that the network considers each block of 26 episodes a “season,” which is another reason we try to stick to calling these Korra arcs “books.” So for the network’s purposes, Books 1 & 2 are Season 1, and Books 3 & 4 are Season 2.

I did not know about that bolded part. They fucked that up big time, and that was from their own volition. My defense of Bryke just got weaker. I had no idea they had the choice between two normal sized books or the smaller books we got. I had no idea it was their decision to go with the criminally short books they couldn't work with successfully.

So let me get this straight: The Book 1 we saw was NOT the miniseries. That was AFTER Nick ordered more episodes?

Sorry if I'm sounding like a broken record, I'm just trying to figure out the order in which things were decided.

Chariot

As far as I'm understood they wrote book 1 as a mini-series and just tweaked it so it won't be the end, which is why the end is a bit wonky and sudden ("btw Korra, here have your powers back and the power to restore everyone else's power").

Book 1 was almost done and airing when Nick ordered more episodes. So Book 1 was the miniseries. That's why it ended with Makorra and Korra getting her powers back. They wanted a succinct ending with no loose ends.

Hamlet

I did not know about that bolded part. They fucked that up big time, and that was from their own volition. My defense of Bryke just got weaker. I had no idea they had the choice between two normal sized books or the smaller books we got. I had no idea it was their decision to go with the criminally short books they couldn't work with successfully.

So let me get this straight: The Book 1 we saw was NOT the miniseries. That was AFTER Nick ordered more episodes?

Sorry if I'm sounding like a broken record, I'm just trying to figure out the order in which things were decided.

Book 1 was originally a one off miniseries and that explains why it had that scrappy conclusion in case it was a one off thing.
Book 2,3 and 4 were the extra episodes that Nick had ordered.

Afrocious

As far as I'm understood they wrote book 1 as a mini-series and just tweaked it so it won't be the end, which is why the end is a bit wonky and sudden ("btw Korra, here have your powers back and the power to restore everyone else's power").

I think that's backwards since Book 1 can stand alone quite well. Cue the kiss and her powers returning from talking to Deus Ex Aang. There you have it.

Book 1 was almost done and airing when Nick ordered more episodes. So Book 1 was the miniseries. That's why it ended with Makorra and Korra getting her powers back. They wanted a succinct ending with no loose ends.

Got it.

That said, damn that was a shitty miniseries. I thought a miniseries was supposed to have long as hell episodes, but not many of them. Kind of like Sherlock.

Also, regardless of the number of episodes, Book 1 was only hampered by having so few episodes.

I think that's backwards since Book 1 can stand alone quite well. Cue the kiss and her powers returning from talking to Deus Ex Aang. There you have it.

Got it.

That said, damn that was a shitty miniseries. I thought a miniseries was supposed to have long as hell episodes, but not many of them. Kind of like Sherlock.

Also, regardless of the number of episodes, Book 1 was only hampered by having so few episodes.
It was written as a miniseries that Was aired as a half season show, and a mini-series doesn't have a set length or number of episodes

Got it.

Well we are talking about 22 minute animated episodes here. Overall Book 1 is about the same length as the Battlestar Galactica miniseries.

I don't know of any show that Nick ever made that ran longer than 22 minutes an episode (most run 11 minutes), baring double billings (like season premiers and finales).

Doing the math and comparing it to normal miniseries, Book 1 has twelve 22 minute episodes, or six 44 minute episodes, or three 88 minute episodes. On par for miniseries.

Afrocious

It was written as a miniseries that Was aired as a half season show, and a mini-series doesn't have a set length or number of episodes

I was under the impression a miniseries was to be shorter than your standard show that spans for episodes into seasons.

I know there are some Stephen King miniseries that are like fuck long movies if you watch them in their entirety, but are ultimately shorter than watching a whole season of a show.

That said, the more I sit and think about it, I'm beginning to see similarities between Bungie's Destiny and The Legend of Korra lul.

Well we are talking about 22 minute animated episodes here. Overall Book 1 is about the same length as the Battlestar Galactica miniseries.

I don't know of any show that Nick ever made that ran longer than 22 minutes an episode (most run 11 minutes), baring double billings (like season premiers and finales).

Doing the math and comparing it to normal miniseries, Book 1 has twelve 22 minute episodes, or six 44 minute episodes, or three 88 minute episodes. On par for miniseries.

three 88 minute episodes makes sense. Sounds just like Sherlock in that case.

I was under the impression a miniseries was to be shorter than your standard show that spans for episodes into seasons.

I know there are some Stephen King miniseries that are like fuck long movies if you watch them in their entirety, but are ultimately shorter than watching a whole season of a show.

That said, the more I sit and think about it, I'm beginning to see similarities between Bungie's Destiny and The Legend of Korra lul.

three 88 minute episodes makes sense. Sounds just like Sherlock in that case.
Both are highly ambitious and underwritten.

Hamlet

Just a little niggle but for Books 1 & 2 the average length of the episodes was around 23-24 minutes and then Nick went and cut 1-2 minutes from the Book 3 & 4 episodes.
I believe to make room for made advertising. Great move there Nick.

Times for the books.

Book 1 - 4 hr 49 min
Book 2 - 5 hr 32 min
Book 3 - 4 hr 57 min
Book 4 - 4 hr 57 min

DedValve

Banned
I hope so, worst case scenario I'll try to do like this guy on DeviantArt and make it myself (sadly I'm not that good making 3D models).

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Avatar-Korra-355926604

I need this. I have a 3D printer at work being unused and have been bugging a guy to make me Korra
asami
3d model I can print.

Just a little niggle but for Books 1 & 2 the average length of the episodes was around 23-24 minutes and then Nick went and cut 1-2 minutes from the Book 3 & 4 episodes.
I believe to make room for made advertising. Great move there Nick.

Times for the books.

Book 1 - 4 hr 49 min
Book 2 - 5 hr 32 min
Book 3 - 4 hr 57 min
Book 4 - 4 hr 57 min

- cuts time from books to make more room for commercials
- removes the show off the air and makes it online only

phaze

Soooo what the hell happened to Zuko's mother ?

Also thanks to all the people who recommended going into AtLA before Korra, saved me from spoiling myself on everything from the first series

Afrocious

Also thanks to all the people who recommended going into AtLA before Korra, saved me from spoiling myself on everything from the first series

It's covered in the post ATLA comics. I forget the name of it.

Hamlet

You will find your answers in the ATLA comics. Specifically The Search.

DedValve

Banned
I've read the promise but I haven't read the search yet. Spoiler tag pls.

I'm waiting for the rift hardcover to come out (and money) so I can get both those and marathon all 3 books again.

The promise was good, great to see the Gaang again and the art looked phenomenal. Straight out of an episode. It really feels like Book 4.

phaze

It's covered in the post ATLA comics. I forget the name of it.

The Search. It's the only ATLA comic that's worth reading in my opinion.

You will find your answers in the ATLA comics. Specifically The Search.

Oh they actually covered it ? I was fuming through the entirety of Korra S3 when they brought in Zuko and he never mentioned her. Will have to read those. Thanks.

Interesting. I hear the comics weren't that good. What did you think?

I've only read the Search as well.
I felt a disconnect between the comics and the show. They (except The Search) almost felt... unnecessary. ATLA was so close-ended, except the park about Zuko's mom, I just didn't really feel any investment in them.

Afrocious

I've just been reminded that TTGL has 27 episodes.

This is a show that starts from a kid digging holes deep underground to folks using the past and future like one would use a cartesian coordinate plane.
And throwing entire solar systems like shrukeins (sp?)

#DammitBryke

Can I share my Korra cosplay I'm working on, or is that looked down upon in here :x?

Yay show it.

This is a free country you can do whatever you want.

Hey man, I dunno I can never tell!

7Dk2VzO.jpg

Viola~! Need some finishing but the main pieces are in place. I wanna make her green outfit from book 4 too, as well as the dress at the end of the series. I can't find any good shots of it yet, but I'm sure they will emerge.

Mononoke

Banned
Hey man, I dunno I can never tell!

Viola~! Need some finishing but the main pieces are in place. I wanna make her green outfit from book 4 too, as well as the dress at the end of the series. I can't find any good shots of it yet, but I'm sure they will emerge.

Looks awesome! Also the green outfit was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom