• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toa TAK

Banned
Viola~! Need some finishing but the main pieces are in place. I wanna make her green outfit from book 4 too, as well as the dress at the end of the series. I can't find any good shots of it yet, but I'm sure they will emerge.

Looks great so far. But yes, you should totally do her Earth outfit. That one equally amazing.

Mononoke

Banned
Looks great so far. But yes, you should totally do her Earth outfit. That one equally amazing.

Yeah I really liked her green outfit. Would be cool to see someone do that outfit at a Con. Speaking of Cons I've legit never been to one. I've always lived 1 hour 20 out of San Diego but never been to comic con.

I don't cos play so I think it would be weird going as regularly dressed person. Although I did see people randomly cosplay while I lived in Japan.

Yeah I really liked her green outfit. Would be cool to see someone do that outfit at a Con. Speaking of Cons I've legit never been to one. I've always lived 1 hour 20 out of San Diego but never been to comic con.

I don't cos play so I think it would be weird going as regularly dressed person. Although I did see people randomly cosplay while I lived in Japan.
I wouldn't be surprised if people just randomly cosplayed to go to the deli in Japan.
Hey man, I dunno I can never tell!

Viola~! Need some finishing but the main pieces are in place. I wanna make her green outfit from book 4 too, as well as the dress at the end of the series. I can't find any good shots of it yet, but I'm sure they will emerge.
Nice detail. I've always liked Korra's suede fur skirt looking thing. I also like her season 2 look.

Toa TAK

Banned
I should really try to go to SDCC one of these days. I mean, I live in LA, how can I not?

Though I'm personally not into cosplay, either. Though I don't mind being dressed normally.

Mononoke

Banned
I should really try to go to SDCC one of these days. I mean, I live in LA, how can I not?

Though I'm personally not into cosplay, either. Though I don't mind being dressed normally.

Lol LA has some anime cons. I almost went to one. Almost. I feel like I wouldn't fit in with anime con people lmao

Muh waifu

Yeah still haven't been to a con. Then again I did survive the weirder places in Tokyo. And it can get really weird.

Just a forwarding to you guys :/ SDCC is a monster. If you don't have tickets for 2015 now, you're not getting in. Unless you're media, or you know someone you can do special *favors* for. Anime Expo is in Anaheim, might be a better first con experience?

I don't live too far from New York City, I should go to NYCC next year.

But I'm worried I won't be "hardcore" enough or everyone will be like /co/ in person.

Toa TAK

Banned
Lol LA has some anime cons. I almost went to one. Almost. I feel like I wouldn't fit in with anime con people lmao

Muh waifu

Yeah still haven't been to a con.

I feel you. I went to a COD:Modern Warfare 3 midnight launch, thinking "Hey these would be my people." NOPE.

How a bunch of nerds can make another nerd feel like he's "Too cool" even for them is AMAZING. I just had my friend drive us back home. Nope nope nope.
Just a forwarding to you guys :/ SDCC is a monster. If you don't have tickets for 2015 now, you're not getting in. Unless you're media, or you know someone you can do special *favors* for. Anime Expo is in Anaheim, might be a better first con experience?

Ah screw this then, they put up almost everything on YouTube anyways. =(

Mononoke

Banned

Yeah, you have to get your pass a year out. One of the reasons I never went. I've also heard about it getting more and more over crowded. I lived in So Cal most of my life so I remember when Comic Con wasn't as popular and you could get in easier. But I never went. Now I feel like there is no point. So every year the passes go up I'm tempted to try, but don't.

Yeah I heard the Anaheim was is a good first time con too. I almost went to that big Anime con in LA this past year. But it happened when I was in Tokyo.

Hamlet

Hey man, I dunno I can never tell!

Looks great.

Mononoke

Banned
Speaking of Japan im going to be heading out there first week of January. If anyone here wants anything let me know. Will be in Kyoto, Tokyo and Osaka.

It's just that the big shows are a madhouse, everyone's running (literally) to get to a panel or get the toy/exclusive/merchandise they want.

If you can ever make it, PAX is really fun. Most nerds there are welcoming and nice!

I don't live too far from New York City, I should go to NYCC next year.

But I'm worried I won't be "hardcore" enough or everyone will be like /co/ in person.
I think you would be fine, just be prepared for the "no deodorant" crowd. I've never been but I've heard stories.

Mononoke

Banned
It's just that the big shows are a madhouse, everyone's running (literally) to get to a panel or get the toy/exclusive/merchandise they want.

If you can every make it, PAX is really fun. Most nerds there are welcoming and nice!

Reminds me of Coachella Festival in So Cal. Started out small then became this massive event. I used to know people in the industry that worked it in the early day, so I would get in free. And I saw it go from this small festival to this massive thing. The boom in attendance was insane.

I stopped going eventually. But at least they made Coachella 2 weeks so it spreads the people out.

Mononoke

Banned
Ooh nice. How long are you going for?

Well supposed to be a week. But honestly, I don't have plans anymore back home. And I kind of just need to get away from things. So I honestly don't know. I have family in Tokyo so I have a place to crash if it comes to that.

You are allowed to stay up to 2 months as a non citizen (well at least if you are American).

So at the most 2 months. But possibly a week.

Well supposed to be a week. But honestly, I don't have plans anymore back home. And I kind of just need to get away from things. So I honestly don't know. I have family in Tokyo so I have a place to crash if it comes to that.

You are allowed to stay up to 2 months as a non citizen (well at least if you are American).

Too bad Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship last I checked.

Afrocious

Wait a damn minute.

Young Justice.

Aqualad is gay?

What *rubs eyes*

*I was going to comment on the cosplay pic, which I can't see because I'm at work. I'm reading The Mary Sue's comment on the Korra finale (which I think this thread should read in regards to why I think criticism is healthy regardless of the doors opened by Bryke at the end of LoK) and blam I see stuff about Aqualad being gay, so now I'm all distracted*

Mononoke

Banned
Too bad Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship last I checked.

Yeahhh. Even if you have family there you only get a temporary 2 month stay then have to leave. It's easy to get work there though if you speak English. Not good work mind you.

But if you are desperate to stay. But 2 months is a lot of time to travel and get yourself away from shit.

No self control?

The Last Airbender has less characters because there was only 1 big bad in Ozai and it was all building up towards that one big fight. Not to mention there were only 3 seasons.

Korra had to have a new main enemy every season.

So I don't really think what you're saying has a lot of merit.
ATLA has less characters because it was an episodic journey where the cast was going someplace new and meeting someone new every episode. There was no obligation for any characters from these stories to return, but when they did, it was nice.

There was nothing forcing them to create loads and loads of characters for LoK. So many characters are completely superfluous in this series and their roles could have been filled in by the main cast. They didn't HAVE to create loads and loads of characters. They wanted to and the result is poor.

Mononoke

Banned
A ticket to come with you
:<

And anything Bayonetta 2 related!

lol I wonder if someone on GAF would legit take me up on buying them a ticket and going on a trip with me to Japan. :p

I'll get some Bayonetta swag for you. If anyone else wants anything from Japan actually just PM me so I can keep a list.

Chariot

Wait a damn minute.

Young Justice.

Aqualad is gay?

What *rubs eyes*
Huh? No, he isn't. I think Young Justice stayed out of homosexual relationships. Although things get weird, if you get into comic canon where Monsieur Mallah and the Brain have a relationship.

For context: they are an intelligent ape and a brain in robot.

Afrocious

Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but I'd like to investigate this little bit here about how Aqualad apparently was intended to be queer.

Dude did have a girlfriend, but I never got any vibe from him being bisexual.

Then again, I haven't tried digging into commentary on YJ.

Mononoke

Banned
ATLA has less characters because it was an episodic journey where the cast was going someplace new and meeting someone new every episode. There was no obligation for any characters from these stories to return, but when they did, it was nice.

There was nothing forcing them to create loads and loads of characters for LoK. So many characters are completely superfluous in this series and their roles could have been filled in by the main cast. They didn't HAVE to create loads and loads of characters. They wanted to and the result is poor.

Yep. Bryke has no excuse with the insane amount of side characters and side plots they kept piling on. They were writing for a 22 episode format. And they are to blame.

They needed to accept the limitations of the format and cut back on the world building. When you are running out of time for the main plot and the main cast, you don't have the luxury of these other things.

And as you said, TLOK was a more linear story so these new characters were then in the way.

Huh? No, he isn't. I think Young Justice stayed out of homosexual relationships. Although things get weird, if you get into comic canon where Monsieur Mallah and the Brain have a relationship.

For context: they are an intelligent ape and a brain in robot.
Maybe everyone is confusing Aqua Lad with Lagaan or however the hell you spell his name. That dude really tries too hard to act tough so that revelation wouldn't surprise me.

Chariot

Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but I'd like to investigate this little bit here about how Aqualad apparently was intended to be queer.

Dude did have a girlfriend, but I never got any vibe from him being bisexual.

Then again, I haven't tried digging into commentary on YJ.
Never heard of that. He always stroke me as someone who is married to work, which was part of why his relationship with Tula didn't work out well. I mean, he might be, but I am missing indicators.
Maybe everyone is confusing Aqua Lad with Lagaan or however the hell you spell his name. That dude really tries too hard to act tough so that revelation wouldn't surprise me.
Jesus, that guy annoyed me so much. But he's pretty straight too.

Afrocious

Yep. Bryke has no excuse with the insane amount of side characters and side plots they kept piling on. They were writing for a 22 episode format. And they are to blame.

They needed to accept the limitations of the format and cut back on the world building. When you are running out of time for the main plot and the main cast, you don't have the luxury of these other things.

And as you said, TLOK was a more linear story so these new characters were then in the way.

I actually just learned today that it was Bryke's decision to actually split ordered seasons in half, which brought about the reduced chapters in books.

Honestly, looking back at everything we've picked apart in this thread, I think that has to be the worst creative decision made that actually kept the show from reaching any sort of potential.

Afrocious

You guys are so confusing me. AQUA LAD. SOMETHING GAY.

What is this. What world am I in.

Haha sorry. Basically I'm reading an article analyzing the end of LoK and the writer goes on to mention how common it is for networks to censor anything representing anything regarding LBGTQ folks, issues, and lives. In it, she just drops that YJ had a similar issue in which Aqualad (one of the lead characters of YJ) was intended to be queer. In the show, he has/had a girlfriend.

Mononoke

Banned
I actually just learned today that it was Bryke's decision to actually split ordered seasons in half, which brought about the reduced chapters in books.

Honestly, looking back at everything we've picked apart in this thread, I think that has to be the worst creative decision made that actually kept the show from reaching any sort of potential.

Yeah, they have said in multiple interviews they actually pushed for the 13 episode format in ATLA. But that Nick wanted more.

So this was always a format THEY wanted. So that is why I lose a lot of sympathy and excuses that are made for them. Like, okay. You wanted this format. Why are you writing like it's a 22 episode format.

Haha sorry. Basically I'm reading an article analyzing the end of LoK and the writer goes on to mention how common it is for networks to censor anything representing anything regarding LBGTQ folks, issues, and lives. In it, she just drops that YJ had a similar issue in which Aqualad (one of the lead characters of YJ) was intended to be queer. In the show, he has/had a girlfriend.

I was just kidding. That said, you don't need to apologize. Sounds like a topic worth discussing. I was just uninformed. My bad.

Chariot

Well... did you see season 2?
She kinda dies and he has not relationship from there on. So he could easily get attracted to another boy. Maybe it's something they wanted to play with in season 3. :(

Mononoke

Banned
Season 1 Superboy would've thrown him into the sun. Season 2 Superboy mellowed out, a lot.

Go watch Young Justice.

I wanted to. But finding out it's been cancelled....

The one thing I hate more then shows being disappointing, is shows that have no end/resolution. That just takes a part of your soul. And you are always waiting. Like it's a perpetual never ending hell. That feeling of WHAT was next.

Can't believe you guys. Trying to do that to me. So cruel.

Hamlet

Ah sucks about the two month limit. Have fun with the trip as you definitely deserve it.

Chariot

That explains that hilarious mission briefing conversation they had regarding the all girls team. Though I figured they were going to give him Zataana...Babs works too though.
Zatanna get's really weird, since she is older in the comics. She also often chooses weird people like Constantine and Etrigan. I mean, seriously, why would anybody date Etrigan (he is a demon from hell who constantly rhymes). So that would been very interesting to see in the show too :D

Zatanna get's really weird, since she is older in the comics. She also often chooses weird people like Constantine and Etrigan. I mean, seriously, why would anybody date Etrigan (he is a demon from hell who constantly rhymes). So that would been very interesting to see in the show too :D
When Zataana showed up I was like "Didn't Batman bang her in the animated series." That chemistry with Etrigan sounds like it would've been really fun.

Chariot

When Zataana showed up I was like "Didn't Batman bang her in the animated series." That chemistry with Etrigan sounds like it would've been really fun.
Haha, she wishes. But Batman friendzoned her hard in the comics. I figured the same happened behind the scenes in JLU. Bruce sleeps around a lot (oh, Wallers "leaving his liquids all over Gotham"-comment slayed :D) , but he don't do it with people he knows and actually cares for. Ask Catwoman.

Of course there is Talia, but I am not really sure how that happened.

Haha, she wishes. But Batman friendzoned her hard in the comics. I figured the same happened behind the scenes in JLU. Bruce sleeps around a lot (oh, Wallers "leaving his liquids all over Gotham"-comment slayed :D) , but he don't do it with people he knows and actually cares for. Ask Catwoman.

Don't ask questions when it comes to Talia and Bruce. There are no answers. It simply was.

Now, Bruce and Diana was something else. I really hate that they paired her off with Clark in the nu52.

Bruce and Talia is great, especially that one Batman Beyond episode.
I think Bruce knew Diana would never allow him to just dump her and just sleep around randomly. You don't exactly ditch a woman that can throw a fucking school bus at you and flies. She'd be like Superman Returns' stalker Superman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom