• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

360pages

I find it helps to write something every week.

Granted, I haven't written anything in a month due to job hunting and working on code screening assignments. I usually write journal/diary entries or short stories.

I think I've started a novel like a hundred times. Having a macbook that opens up every damn document when you turn the machine on is a constant reminder of this.

I never did finish Season 4 of Buffy. I don't know why. I liked it, too.

I wrote about 40000 words for one story and about 100000 words for original content, if anyones interested.

Mononoke

Banned
You know if we can't do Japan....

How about some place here in the USA?

Comic-Con meet up perhaps?

2015?

Pitch in for a hotel?

Yes. I would love that. I mean, we could still do a Japan type thing like in the future. But in the short term, why not some place in the USA?

We just need to pick like an event that is sort of a ways out (so we can plan for it, and save up for it). And yeah, I would totally pitch in for a hotel. Would be so much fun to hang out with some of you guys.

EDIT: Hamlet actually is in Aus. But he's a buddy of mine. I would pitch in to pay for his ticket. So I would definitely try to get him to fly out. He could stay with me too (before the hotel or after). I have a nice house with a ton of space. He's never been to the US before and wants to visit. So would be totally perfect time to do it.

TAK lives close to me, so that would be easy.

OmegaX

You know I never did follow comics much. What was supposed to come of the stuff with Lex and Darkseid at the end?

In the DCAU the Anti-life equation that Darkseid was looking for makes both Lex, and Darkseid disappear for reasons unexplained. I don't think the writers even knew what the anti-life equation was supposed to do or what it was.
In the comics, Darkseid gets the anti-life equation and uses it to control every person on Earth.

Edit:
Nothing.
They became a part of the Source Wall.
Wait, that was what happened?

Daemul

I'll be the guy in the back of the writer's room making sure your storytelling makes sense as I smh

That's usually my job :p

That's what I'm saying.

If anything, we should be recommending things that have endings :/

Yeah, this is why I doubt I'll ever watch Young Justice, I don't want to invest time into something which concluded without an end. it would be something that would torment me for the rest of my days.

Chariot

In the DCAU the Anti-life equation that Darkseid was looking for makes both Lex, and Darkseid disappear for reasons unexplained. I don't think the writers even knew what the anti-life equation was supposed to do or what it was.
In the comics, Darkseid gets the anti-life equation and uses it to control every person on Earth.
In interpreted it as in that both became enlightened and became a part of god (I know it has a name, but I can't remember what the name of the being equal to an almighty god was).

Yeah, this is why I doubt I'll ever watch Young Justice, I don't want to invest time into something which concluded without an end. it would be something that would torment me for the rest of my days.
You must. I you let it be forgotten, it will repeat. Take that anger and channel it, so such an atrocity will never happen again.

Afrocious

That's usually my job :p

I mean, it's not like the end of the second Hobbit movie. Most things are resolved by the end of Season 2 of YJ and the unresolved things are brought up somewhat by the respective characters that concern them.

The main plot of Season 2 is concluded and then that segues into what Season 3 would be about for the last few seconds.

So it doesn't sting so much from the ending but the fact that such a good show as cancled.

Take it from me. I actually liked both Kid Flash and Artemis together. I know what pain is concerning YJ.

Mononoke

Banned
I've totally bailed on Shingeki no Kyojin. I know it's typical for Manga to go on this long. But I've lost interest. Shingeki is like LOST to me. But imagine LOST going on for 20 years. NOPE. Only so much mystery and slow revelation I can take.

The worst part is, it's like imagine 10 min of a 44 min LOST episode only airing ONCE a month. So you only get 10 min of it ONCE a month. FUUUUUUCK THAT.

Yes. I would love that. I mean, we could still do a Japan type thing like in the future. But in the short term, why not some place in the USA?

We just need to pick like an event that is sort of a ways out (so we can plan for it, and save up for it). And yeah, I would totally pitch in for a hotel. Would be so much fun to hang out with some of you guys.

EDIT: Hamlet actually is in Aus. But he's a buddy of mine. I would pitch in to pay for his ticket. So I would definitely try to get him to fly out. He could stay with me too (before the hotel or after). I have a nice house with a ton of space. He's never been to the US before and wants to visit. So would be totally perfect time to do it.

TAK lives close to me, so that would be easy.

I live in NC, so I'd have the hardest time getting to San Diego :p

But oh well, screw it.

Buffy is really raw in the early goings. It was really spectacular for its time, its place in television, but earlier on it was definitely... yeah, raw. Some awesome episodes though, and the character chemistry is pretty wonderful.
It didn't get its shit straight till season 2, 3 is the high point. 4 urgh, got better in the 5th though, don't ask me about 6, was ok in 7, but I remember that like a blur...which means barely.

Mononoke

Banned
I live in NC, so I'd have the hardest time getting to San Diego :p

But oh well, screw it.

I could help with your ticket too. I don't know if comic con would be the best given how packed it is. Also it's super hard getting badges. So we would all need to get lucky and score. If this is 5-6 people meeting up that is a lot of luck needed.

Does anyone know of any other cons in So Cal that are decent attendance and cool? When is it? What is the con about.

I would be down to do comic con though. I've always wanted to go. So maybe we just have a back up con.

We could also do NYC or east coast. One bonus of so cal is I could actually house people at my place for free and drive everyone around in my car.

Mononoke

Banned
I live and work in Raleigh, NC.

Well so far we have two people in NC, and two people in So Cal. I guess we should probably take a tally of where people are coming from. Would help pin point the best place to do this. What is more convenient overall.

I am clueless with the cons that happen yearly. So if anyone has any ideas, PM me or post? I will certainly organize it. Also if we do end up coming to so cal I'll house you guys free or drive you around. I can help people with their plane tickets too. But if it makes more sense to do this on the east coast, I'll fly out that way. I can help TAK with his ticket. We could get our tickets together and take the same flight. So I'm flexible.

Well so far we have two people in NC, and two people in So Cal. I guess we should probably take a tally of where people are coming from. Would help pin point the best place to do this. What is more convenient overall.

I am clueless with the cons that happen yearly. So if anyone has any ideas, PM me or post? I will certainly organize it. Also if we do end up coming to so cal I'll house you guys free or drive you around. I can help people with their plane tickets too. But if it makes more sense to do this on the east coast, I'll fly out that way. I can help TAK with his ticket. We could get our tickets together and take the same flight. So I'm flexible.
NYC and I'm not exactly swimming in money.

Toa TAK

Banned

I'll pay for mah own ticket, bro.

DedValve

Banned
Why not. If you are seriously a writer, I would love to work on some stuff. Anyone on GAF that wants to do it, I'm always down. Just PM me. We could use google documents. Honestly, you never know if an idea will spark, and chemistry will fly between two writers. You could really have something. It's always worth a try.

Awesome. If you do ever get down there, I'll eventually be there the time you would be there. We should go meet up.

EDIT: I actually still think it would be amazing, if a group of GAF people kind of saved up over time. And then went to Japan together as a group. Like, just put aside $100 a month. And set a goal for like a year from now. Or two years. And then do it. Would be so much fun, and would be a once in a life time kind of thing. Traveling Japan really is something else. That said, I know not everyone has money. And putting aside cash is easier said then done. I can dream though.

I like this idea. Both the google docs and japan thing.

Ok time to start a shared google doc with korra gaf. What shall book 5 be?

Book 5: Potential

Chapter 1: Zaheer's day off

Synopsis: Saving up his prisoner credit Zaheer earned enough to pay for 1 day off but with a catch. He has to be chained to Korra for the entire day. Meanwhile Korra plans a romantic dinner for Asami to confirm their relationship but can she with Zaheer strapped to her hip or will Zaheer prove to not only be a competent Airbender but a lovebender as well?

EDIT: I live in NYC so I can go to any and all NYC conventions...if I save up for it.

Toa TAK

Banned

Synopsis: Saving up his prisoner credit Zaheer earned enough to pay for 1 day off but with a catch. He has to be chained to Korra for the entire day. Meanwhile Korra plans a romantic dinner for Asami to confirm their relationship but can she with Zaheer strapped to her hip or will Zaheer prove to not only be a competent Airbender but a lovebender as well?

Oh my God: YESSSSS
aVHmXHj.gif

Daemul

I feel so empty inside with no more Korra, I haven't touched my Xbox in a week and I can't even remember what it was I used to do on Fridays before S4 aired.

Which is actually a very interesting question, what the fuck did I used to do on Friday's before Korra S4 aired? I can't fucking remember. Let get me get out my calendar and try and track back time, because this is worrying lol

DedValve

Banned
I feel so empty inside with no more Korra, I haven't touched my Xbox in a week and I can't even remember what it was I used to do on Fridays before S4 aired.

Which is actually a very interesting question, what the fuck did I used to do on Friday's before Korra S4 aired? I can't fucking remember. Let get me get out my calendar and try and track back time, because this is worrying lol

I usually dedicated fridays to korrasami talk. Not much has changed.

EDIT: I live in NYC so I can go to any and all NYC conventions...if I save up for it.
Guru Laghima recommends that when you go down on Asami you airbend with your mouth.

Afrocious

Something tells me Katara did some bloodbending on Aang back in the day to give him hope that they'd have an airbending kid.

Take what you will from that.

Does Zaheer have #TheMane tho?

DedValve

Banned
"You know Korra me and P'li used to go to Kyoshi Land to visit the wonderful amusement park. Or at least we did...BEFORE YOU BLEW HER FACE OFF."

Zaheer fueled by rage comes to the conclusion, he would sabotage Korrasami while also tricking Korra into going to KyoshiLand to check out the various roller coasters and junk food.

Zaheer will have full hair of course. Half the budget will go to hair animation.
the other half to beard animation

Toa TAK

Banned
Awesome. Sorry didn't mean to offend. Just want to hang out with you :)

But if we do make this happen we are totally taking the same flight. Going to beat you at some card games sucka.

It's all good, and I appreciate it. :)

Card games? Like Go Fish?

Afrocious

"You know Korra me and P'li used to go to Kyoshi Land to visit the wonderful amusement park. Or at least we did...BEFORE YOU BLEW HER FACE OFF."

Zaheer fueled by rage comes to the conclusion, he would sabotage Korrasami while also tricking Korra into going to KyoshiLand to check out the various roller coasters and junk food.

Zaheer will have full hair of course. Half the budget will go to hair animation.

And no budget for the writing.

Nick: Good enough for us! Let's fund it!

DedValve

Banned
Book 5 also needs more Lin episodes. I can see Lin retiring and then immediately loathing her decision as she's stuck either being alone, going to the air temple island, being with Suyin or *gulp* spending time with her mother!

Can Lin BeiFong find peace in retirement?

Afrocious

You know what episode I liked in TLA a lot? Tales of Ba Sing Se.

LoK needed an ep like that, among many other things talked about across these 50~ pages.

Have Lin go on a date with someone.

And no new music, they'll have to use the stock clips from Ren and Stimpy

>Korra and Asami dancing to Happy Happy Joy Joy

Toa TAK

Banned

And no budget for the writing.

Nick: Good enough for us! Let's fund it!

Book 5 also needs more Lin episodes. I can see Lin retiring and then immediately loathing her decision as she's stuck either being alone, going to the air temple island, being with Suyin or *gulp* spending time with her mother!

Either these episodes come to life or you guys need to make this fan fiction happen.

DedValve

Banned
Book 5 will have a laugh track btw. People love that shit.

And cutaway jokes. There will be plenty of cutaway jokes. The cutaway jokes will be re-used scenes from books 1-4 in order to spend more money on hair animation.

I'm writing a letter to Nickelodeon about the end of Korra, for no other reason than I feel I need to do something. I don't expect anything to come of it.

I'd like constructive criticism and suggestions.

In light of the recent conclusion of The Legend of Korra, I felt the need to write to you about the importance of the series and its impact on its viewers, as well as the way it has been treated by Nickelodeon as a whole. I believe that there was much potential missed as the result of the way the series was handled. From information gathered in interviews and blog posts by Mr. Bryan Konietzko and Mr. Michael Dante DiMartino, it is made clear that Nickelodeon never had a clear goal in mind for the series. From the very beginning where the series was in jeopardy of ever being made due to outmoded gendered thinking that boys would not watch a show starring a woman, to the constant shuffling of the show’s timeslot, to the recent moving of the show to online only, and the budget cuts, the impression is made that Nickelodeon at best was woefully ignorant of the potential they had, or at worst was maliciously acting against the continuation of the show. I choose to believe the former out of goodwill.

In my experience growing up watching Nickelodeon, the network never made any serious attempts to producing or acquiring animated content aimed at older viewers. Despite original intentions, that is what The Legend of Korra was. The majority of the show’s fanbase were children or young teenagers when Avatar: The Last Airbender first aired in 2005. We grew up with Avatar and Korra matched us by creating characters that were of similar age to ourselves. The recipient audience of Korra was never what was intended. That said the show was never given the proper treatment to match its true audience. In my understanding, unlike other children’s networks, Nickelodeon does not focus much of its efforts in selling toys of its shows. The shows are an end in and of themselves. This fact is what likely allowed an intense, plot-driven show like Korra to last as long as it did. This fact is also what makes it a grand shame that there are no longer any similar shows airing or being produced (to public knowledge) on Nickelodeon.

The Legend of Korra and the Avatar universe in general was something special, something unique. It created a world free of earthly racial, and gender stereotypes, free of biases on sexual orientation. It tackled issues never done seriously before in “children’s” media; war, genocide, oppression, class struggles, trauma, harmony, and real love. It wasn’t perfect, it wasn’t free from shortcomings in writing, but it was truly a wonder to behold. The end of The Legend of Korra and the reaction to it demonstrates something profound.

In contrast to what I presume is the standard operating procedure of children’s programming, Nickelodeon allowed Mr. Konietzko and Mr. DiMartino to portray the titular character Korra and her best friend Asami as romantically involved as bisexual couple. This by itself is a momentous event in television, Korra and Asami are the first confirmed on-screen LGBT characters in children’s media. The reaction is even better. Korra has been continually praised by the press and fans for its progressiveness in breaking both gender stereotypes and furthering the representation of LGBT characters. I hope the reception to this is encouraging for you and your network. I hope that Nickelodeon will not shy away from portraying LGBT relationships in the same manner that straight relationships are portrayed. 2015 is nearly upon us, gay marriage is legal in over 40 states and in the federal government. The tide has shifted; you and your network have nothing to fear anymore. Korra broke the mold and set you free.

In that respect, I believe it is unwise to allow The Legend of Korra and the Avatar universe in general to end. Whether it continues with more seasons of Korra, television or silver screen movies, or even at the very least in more comic books, Korra deserves to live on. In the short time that it has been on the air, the show has made a tremendous impact on the lives of many of its viewers. In breaking gender stereotypes, the show being led by a strong woman of color, it gave women and girls a role model unlike any other they’ve had before. In breaking the LGBT ceiling, it gives men and women, boys and girls, who live in a world where media tells them that straight is normal and LGBT is abnormal, an example of normality for themselves. I can’t understate how culturally significant this show has been and how much more it could be if it was given another, stronger chance at life. Sometimes the world changes only with small steps, sometimes it needs a big push. Give it that push, bring back Korra.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope you take it to heart and see the positive impact The Legend of Korra has made on so many lives.

Mononoke

Banned
It's all good, and I appreciate it. :)

Card games? Like Go Fish?

Like poker or War hahah.

I also have an iPad air that has digital board games. When I flew to Japan it was like a 15 hour flight. So playing games with my friend was godsend. I guess flying across the U.S. wouldn't be that long of a flight. Would still be fun.

Btw we should hang out in person sometime soon. I know you are busy with work and school. But sometime you could come stay at my place or I could just meet you out in your area. Would be fun.

Mononoke

Banned
I'm writing a letter to Nickelodeon about the end of Korra, for no other reason than I feel I need to do something. I don't expect anything to come of it.

I'll read it and give some pointers. Give me like 20 min.

On a side note, I really wish I felt the same way as you. I love Korrasami but still hated that ending. I'm so let down :(

But I do agree with the sentiments in your letter. It's beautiful. Let me read it again.

Lin will probably just start hitting up Bumi...or Kya.
"Why don't we do bird calls!"

*hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahah*
Gets bitch smacked out the airship by Tonraq.

Afrocious

Two things:

1) I'd leave that part out about the toys. I think that requires some hard proof, but I don't think it has a place in the letter you want to send. Instead, how about mention the success of ATLA or their animations in general?

2) Change 'a strong woman of color' to 'women of color'. All the characters in the Avatar-verse are, to us, people of color. Because we have a ton of lead women in LoK, say 'women of color'.

DedValve

Banned
Dang ya'll meetin up

We need to get together to bounce ideas off each other.

All in favor of Kyoshi Island being reconstructed as an awesome amusement park as KyoshiLand?

Just think about it, Varrick creates all the rides and everything is going swell, when suddenly SPACE BENDING GENETICALLY ENGINEERED DINOSAURS WITH FEATHERS break out. Can Korra save the day? Probably not since she's in the spirit world but whatevs.

Why would Varrick create such a thing? Why not. Seems like him.

We need to get together to bounce ideas off each other.

All in favor of Kyoshi Island being reconstructed as an awesome amusement park as KyoshiLand?

Just think about it, Varrick creates all the rides and everything is going swell, when suddenly SPACE BENDING GENETICALLY ENGINEERED DINOSAURS WITH FEATHERS break out. Can Korra save the day? Probably not since she's in the spirit world but whatevs.

Why would Varrick create such a thing? Why not. Seems like him.
They get Kuvira to do it as part of her sentence is to fix shit while Korra is on vacation, just like the last time Korra went on vacation.

Toa TAK

Banned

I saw it and I'll properly respond to this in a moment.
Radioactive.

Radioactive.
I don't even know what that song is about, but I loved it in this.
Like poker or War hahah.

I also have an iPad air that has digital board games. When I flew to Japan it was like a 15 hour flight. So playing games with my friend was godsend. I guess flying across the U.S. wouldn't be that long of a flight. Would still be fun.

Btw we should hang out in person sometime soon. I know you are busy with work and school. But sometime you could come stay at my place or I could just meet you out in your area. Would be fun.

Sounds like a plan. Hopefully my Spring Semester should clear up a bit.

I'm trying to go to SDCC this year if I can get a pass!

I tried last year but didn't realize you needed to preregister in order to register!

Hopefully I can get one this year. I lived in San Diego for university yet never was able to go.

Daemul

God damn, this thread is moving so damn fast, you'd think it would have died by now, especially since it's the holiday's. But dat ending though.

On the writing, I used to write, like, 10 years ago when I was 12. I wrote full scripts and everything, but I pretty much gave it up when I started focusing more on girls and my sports activities.

I could probably pitch in a few ideas here and there though, and make sure the story actually makes sense.

I usually dedicated fridays to korrasami talk. Not much has changed.

Talking about my sports activities reminded me what I used to do before S4 aired, I used to play Volleyball on Fridays. Sadly my Volleyball group has recently broken up, since people were busy and numbers dwindled, so I pretty much have nothing to do now.

FML

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom