• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamlet

Technically Zuko can just walk into the spirit world and talk to Iroh right?

Can Iroh walk out?

I feel like they didn't think this through.

Yeah Zuko should be able to go into the spirit world and visit Iroh if he chooses to. I don't think Iroh can leave though as he doesn't have a mortal body anymore.

Chariot

Technically Zuko can just walk into the spirit world and talk to Iroh right?

Can Iroh walk out?

I feel like they didn't think this through.
Yeah, the Spirit World both being physical and spiritual is stupid. I mean, Zaheer could meditate into the Spirit World and then somebody could throw his body through a spirit gate, right? Or he could meditate into it, leave through the spirit portal and free himself.
Yeah Zuko should be able to go into the spirit world and visit Iroh if he chooses to. I don't think Iroh can leave though as he doesn't have a mortal body anymore.
Thing is, that it's physical too, since you can enter the spirit world through one gate and get out of another.

Chariot

It's been 20 yrs sine Batman TAS?? Geez. Ivy and Harley were a cool couple, although I can't remember much about them at the moment. I'm gonna assume it was good, because that show was great.
C6VuVyL.jpg

Well none of the spirits have bodies and they can come out.

At this point since Iroh is dead he's a spirit too? So he should be able to just come out and be immortal?

Dammit Bryke

Hamlet

Yeah, the Spirit World both being physical and spiritual is stupid. I mean, Zaheer could meditate into the Spirit World and then somebody could throw his body through a spirit gate, right? Or he could meditate into it, leave through the spirit portal and free himself.Thing is, that it's physical too, since you can enter the spirit world through one gate and get out of another.

Hmm Zuko should convince Iroh to test out the limits of what he can do. Because if Iroh can leave they're pretty much discovered a way to immortality in the avatar world for non avatars.

i'm sorry i'm an orphan pls dont hurt me :(

tumblr_ngvl2sdjYq1ry1sxno1_500.gif

Sigh ok then. Now let's party.

tumblr_ngta8dobz81rogcuio1_500.gif

Ochi

Neo Member
Regarding the spirit world vs the real world.

First off, the spirit world isn't the same as the afterlife, so while Iroh is a spirit, it's not guaranteed that every human spirit will go there.

It's important to note that aang, jinora, korra and zaheer "phase" into the spirit world.

First they leave their bodies as spirits and then they transition to the spirit world.

When they leave their body to become spirits, the body is vulnerable and needs protection.

That is the most important part of the process for humans because while they can go to the spirit world as spirits, they generally cannot interact with the real world as disembodied spirits so they can only go to the spirit world or in Jinora's case scout around.

If you walk into the spirit world via the portals, because you have your body you can bend, but if you project then you can't.

Unfortunately the really janky aspects of this are related to all this astral projection stuff since it implies that spirits should be able to freely phase into the physical world anyways, even if they too have to subscribe to the inability to affect the physical world without a body.

Regarding Zaheer in jail:

He astrally projects into the spirit world and could conceivably travel within the spirit world to the portals and wall out, but I guess we have to assume once he did, he'd be back in astral projection form.

As for Iroh...

There are some janky implications here. Since the only physical barrier between the spirit world and physical world is the sealed portals (except for that one time Wanshitong the spirit owl sank his library into the spirit world) the implication for Iroh's journey to the spirit world would've had to have been meditative.

So if Iroh can meditate into the spirit world, I guess the explanation for him still being there would be that he chose to meditate into the spirit world and let his physical body die... except as a spirit you're immortal...?

Blackhead

Redarse
As for Iroh...

There are some janky implications here. Since the only physical barrier between the spirit world and physical world is the sealed portals (except for that one time Wanshitong the spirit owl sank his library into the spirit world) the implication for Iroh's journey to the spirit world would've had to have been meditative.

So if Iroh can meditate into the spirit world, I guess the explanation for him still being there would be that he chose to meditate into the spirit world and let his physical body die... except as a spirit you're immortal...?
The Legend of Korra – Book 2: Spirits Audio Commentary Notes
Bryan explains that only humans who gain an extreme connection to the Spirits can transcend into the Spirit World after death. Uncle Iroh and the Painted Lady are two examples of humans who transcended into the Spirit World after death.

Commentary Summary: A New Spiritual Age
Iroh’s physical body passed away, but the Spirit World isn’t a catch-all afterlife. The crew compared him to the Painted Lady, who had also started out as a human — the idea is that special people who are imbued with spiritual energy or have cultivated a spiritual connection can transfer their personality into the Spirit World and embody some energy there (which, I’m guessing, doesn’t really impact on whatever reincarnation thing would have normally taken place). Over time, this energy becomes more and more spirit-like as the individual has been without a body for longer, which is why the Painted Lady is more ghostlike than Iroh, but it always retains the underlying personality. (I’d bet money that Jinora ends up taking this path later on in life… and it might explain why past Avatars like Kuruk seem to be able to appear in the Spirit World and affect stuff there, too)

Kangi

That "we're just like GRRM" thought process would certainly explain why the show has such a weird heaviness to it despite it not even being that dark. I've always found that it doesn't have nearly enough mature themes to justify its constant serious tone, and they tend to throw in sporadic gruesome scenes to pretend it does.

A:TLA's central element of the 100-year-long war was a mature and well-handled premise that showed up in both subtle and outwardly disturbing ways. But the average episode could still afford to be lighthearted; LoK rarely even gave being truly lighthearted a try. Maybe it's that pesky episode limit again.

Just finished the finale! I loved Kuvira. Though I don't know if any of the shows villains can top Zaheer and his elite bending team, those guys were seriously badass. Sure had a lot of Hitler references in this book. Especially the big canon!

Dat ending
x9QBG.gif

My dreams of Korrasami confirmed!

Nightbird

I finally got around to watch the Finale, and boy, oh boy, i have mixed feelings about this.

First, the good:

• The Action was top, and i loved to see everyone working together
  • Bolin, seriously i love that Guy
  • Verrick and Zhu Li
  • Prince Wu made a huge Jump upwards in my List of Favorite Characters after those Episodes. I like that Guy a lot now.
  • That unexcepted giant Shipping-Bone the Series threw at us in the Last Scene, like holy shit, they really did it!
  • Korra maturing

the mixed:

• Kuvira. I think it would have been better to not force an dramatic Backstory on her, but whatever
  • Almost no causalities for such an huge scale of destruction is a bit unbelievable. Yeah, its on Nickelodeon, but it still left a somewhat strange impression on me

the bad:
  • The Ending. Honestly, this wasn't a good end. It felt more like "Well, that's it, were done now", instead of a Goodbye to the Avatar-Universe.

So in the End, the Finale was great, i enjoyed to watch it, and while it was a really good End of the Korra-Series, i didn't really liked it as overall End to the Franchise.

Checking into the new thread.

Are we going to stick with this until 400 pages again, or are we going to make AvatarGAF in the community soon?

The OP really should've reflected Korrasami in the title. Its pretty important even outside of the show. This is the first time we've had a homosexual relationship confirmed on screen in a cartoon on a kid's network. Even more important in that its the title character.

Omikaru

Checking into the new thread.

Are we going to stick with this until 400 pages again, or are we going to make AvatarGAF in the community soon?

Since we have this new thread there's no rush for Azula and me to make the community OT. But I don't see us doing 400 pages here before I post it.

We'll do it by ear, so to speak. See how active this thread is. If people want to come here and react to Book 4, and carry on doing so, I'll hold off for a bit. At the very latest, I expect we'll want the thread live once Azula begins the community rewatch.

My mom finally watched the finale. She did'nt see the romance aspect either. But she was also still rooting for Bolin and that was over at season 1.

Your mother has great taste.
And she didn't see the Korrasami for the same cause Borra is dead: Bryke can't write a decent character development even if their lives depended on that.

Chariot

Ok, frenchies. Time do some numbers after four seasons of Legend of Korra and multiple successful threads. Everyone has awards, why not KorraGAF? So here are some mini awards to crown the best and worst things from all of Korra.

--

Rules

• You can name up to three options in every category. You can make honorable mentions, but only the first three are counted.
  • Order matters! The first choice gets (3), the second (2) and the third (1) point
  • To make counting votes easier for me, please begin your vote post with "#ChariotWheel" so I can easily find the relevant posts.
  • You can use nicknames and descriptions as long as you are sure that I can understand them. I have to count and I try to understand what I can, but please don't make it too difficult for me
  • These awards only include the Legend of Korra, characters, events, episodes; everything that only appears in ATLA or the comics is not valid.
  • You have two weeks to vote, I will not respect anything that is posted after the rewatch
--

Example lines

#ChariotWheel

Best Protagonist Mako, Bolin, Tenzin; honorable mention: Korra
Best Minor Character: Announcer, Naga, that cute dog spirit that helped Korra in S4
Best Antagonist
  1. Amon; Explanation
  2. Varrick; Explanation
  3. Unalaq; Better a damn good explanation
--

Categories:

Best Protagonist
Best Minor Character
Best Antagonist
Best Fight

Best Moment
Best Episode
Best Season
Biggest positive Surprise

Worst Protagonist
Worst Minor Character
Worst Antagonist
Worst Fight

Worst Moment
Worst Episode
Worst Season
Biggest Disappointment

Bonus
Korra and Asami - Friends or Lovers?
(you don't have to justify your vote, this is just an opinion piece!)

Daemul

I cannot wait to see some of the nominations for best and worst protagonists.

Do we need to name 3 in each category or will one do?

RedShift

Since we have this new thread there's no rush for Azula and me to make the community OT. But I don't see us doing 400 pages here before I post it.

We'll do it by ear, so to speak. See how active this thread is. If people want to come here and react to Book 4, and carry on doing so, I'll hold off for a bit. At the very latest, I expect we'll want the thread live once Azula begins the community rewatch.

A community rewatch is happening? Awesome, I already want to rewatch it all now.

Despite some of our personal feelings on the show we should recognize two things.

1. How immensely successful the franchise has been. How many cartoons on kids networks, or even TV shows in general get sequel series? The only notable examples I can think of are Rugrats and Star Trek. The fact that Avatar got one, and it ran for 52 episodes is astounding, despite Nick's attempts at sabotage.

2. How culturally significant it is for the main character of the show to be a woman and LGBT. In live action TV on the big networks you'll get this often, but on obstinately kids network? This is the first, at least the first confirmed on screen. Hopefully the immensely positive reception the ending is getting will convince these networks to be as open with homosexual relationships in their shows as they are with heterosexual ones.

Fuck that, Tarrlok was an excellent villian.

Zaheer > Amon > Tarrlok > > Tahno > Ai Wei > Unalaq = crap = Kuvira

FTFY.

Kuvira is like boo hoo i grew up without parents now i will enslave a whole nation. 5 minutes , later okay i was wrong. Stupid fucking shit villain. Say what you want about Unalaq, at the very least his battle with Korra was a series ending battle, unlike Kuvira´s battle.

@Satch, were you against Makorra or Korrasami, i can´t remember.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck that, Tarrlok was an excellent villian.

Zaheer > Amon > Tarrlok > > Tahno > Ai Wei > Unalaq = Kuvira

Amon is definitely better than Zaheer. I don't think we should vote until after the rewatch as people will prioritize more recent material. Similarly, Kuvira is probably marginally better than Unalaq.

Amon is definitely better than Zaheer. I don't think we should vote until after the rewatch as people will prioritize more recent material. Similarly, Kuvira is probably marginally better than Unalaq.

The only problem with Amon is that he was a big hypocrite or else i would have put him over Zaheer.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
On the other no stupid sequel hook that is not resolved until a mediocre comic series years after anybody cares, so at least Korra has that going for it.

Daemul

Should we wait? I've already written a big chunk of my vote, but I can't remember everyone and what they did so I have gaps in some sections, though some sections have a runaway winner(prepare yourselves for Mako jokes) so I only nominate one person. I wouldn't mind waiting until the re watch.

Omikaru

Can't really hope someone buys the shows rights either since Nick loves to hold on to IPs

Don't quote me on this as I can't find where I read or heard it, but I vaguely remember either Mike or Bryan saying at this point Nick would probably sell the IP for the right price, whatever that is.

Nightbird

Damn, there quite a few Reaction Videos to the Finale, and mostly to the Korrasami-Part.

Fun thing, i just had to search for "reaction" on Youtube to find them.

Blackhead

Redarse
Don't quote me on this as I can't find where I read or heard it, but I vaguely remember either Mike or Bryan saying at this point Nick would probably sell the IP for the right price, whatever that is.

please recall when or where mike/bryan said this. dont want false hope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom