• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
You never know. At any rate, while I don't think anyone will pick up the ATLA universe, I think there are plenty of people waving money around who would want to work with Bryke. Hopefully they will be able to make something new with a good budget that isn't hamstrung by Nick in the many ways that Korra was.
No, Netflix stated they were not betting on animation as an object to pull subscribers in so they weren't going to invest much into it. In any case I fear TLOK will send a signal to other studios to stay away from competent and mature animation in the future.

So, what was Su's relationship with Kuvira exactly? Given that she found her when she was nine, I(like many others I'd assumed) figured it was a mother-daughter kind of thing, but the more the season went on, it appeared that Su had no kind of sympathy for Kuvira, and immediately wanted to end her life at almost every opportunity(granted for good reason), but would a mother not want to save her child if their relationship was indeed like that? It began to make me think that maybe whatever that nature of their relationship(which probably wasn't as positive as I or the cute fan-art liked to believe), Kuvira harbored her sentiments of being an orphan, or more importantly not being cared for, well after being taken in by Su. Which brings me to my last question:

Is Suyin the the biggest fuck-up in LoK? She fucked up Lin. She fucked up Kuvira. She fucked up the Earth Nation by not intervening. And by proxy of the last two, she almost fucked up the world at large.

But I won't deny she is the hypest metal bender.
tumblr_ng3vz9rVBd1rnm9t7o4_400.gif

Crayons

Banned
That was very well put together DreamyDrop. Maybe now we'll stop seeing people saying that they're just going on vacation together because they're friends.

No, Netflix stated they were not betting on animation as an object to pull subscribers in so they weren't going to invest much into it. In any case I fear TLOK will send a signal to other studios to stay away from competent and mature animation in the future.

Didn't Netflix just launch an original animated series?

Astral Dog

So, what was Su's relationship with Kuvira exactly? Given that she found her when she was nine, I(like many others I'd assumed) figured it was a mother-daughter kind of thing, but the more the season went on, it appeared that Su had no kind of sympathy for Kuvira, and immediately wanted to end her life at almost every opportunity(granted for good reason), but would a mother not want to save her child if their relationship was indeed like that? It began to make me think that maybe whatever that nature of their relationship(which probably wasn't as positive as I or the cute fan-art liked to believe), Kuvira harbored her sentiments of being an orphan, or more importantly not being cared for, well after being taken in by Su. Which brings me to my last question:

Is Suyin the the biggest fuck-up in LoK? She fucked up Lin. She fucked up Kuvira. She fucked up the Earth Nation by not intervening. And by proxy of the last two, she almost fucked up the world at large.

Yeah, Suyin never answers for her mistakes, she should be taken to jail, along with her "daughter"

Omikaru

It doesn't have to be Netflix necessarily. As stated before, Studio Mir are working on four TV shows, with 78 episodes each. Maybe Bryke could be working on one of those? They certainly have the connections and the working relationship, and Dreamworks seem pretty serious about this investment too.

If I still did avatar bets, I'd make one that Studio Mir or Dreamworks gets Bryke in to make their next thing with them. :p

Bit-Bit

Su didn't start an entire metal clan city, raised multiple prodigal children, and most importantly, able to put up with Toph's shit by being a "let's hug everything out" type of mom. She is a ruthless killer who will put down an ungrateful B like Kuvira like she would a dog.

And betwen Lin and Su, it's clear that Su is the better bender.

What would you like to talk about?

I worded my sentence wrong, its just that the Avatar subreddit has two separate threads for both korrasami discussion and the finale discussion and I feel something like that would work here as well due to there being a noticeable divide between two groups in the community discussing different things. Although I guess KorraGAF isn't as big as the Avatar subreddit so there probably couldn't be enough traffic to support two threads.

MartyStu

Actually much better on a re-watch. I ultimately enjoyed it about as much as the TLA finale.

All the emotional moments mostly land now that my expectations/adrenaline are not interfering.

While awkward, the way things ended with Kuvira is pretty subversive. I really appreciate the effort. It mostly works.

The Korrasami stuff is fine. Even while I think it is sweet, I wish it was not there as it will pretty much be the sole legacy of this series.

Honestly, the biggest issues I had with these two episodes are not directly their fault; the series up to this point is mostly to blame.

Lastly, I am REALLY happy that the overall plot was kept simple. LoK succeeds a lot more when it lets the action do the work. This is pretty much the same approach that made Season 3 a success. The fact that Season 4 retreated from this until the end hurt it greatly.

tl;dr: The writers for LoK are not great and they should have let the animators take up the bulk of the work for much more of the series's run.

Lethe82

Banned
So as someone who hasn't seen past like a third of this season, did Korra and Asami has moments this season that could be interpreted as building a relationship aside from Asami being the only one Korra wrote, and Asami offering to go with her to the Water Tribe?

Oh, yeah. I tend to not mention my gender unless asked. Season 3 Kuvira would be easier, but I like her season 4 look better. Maybe if I could find someone to help me.

I think one reason Tales fans lean female is that there's so much, er... subtext, in the games. Now that I think about it, the arguments over whether Korrasami is canon are pretty funny to me because they remind me of people arguing ships in other fandoms I've been in.
Isn't there a shipping war with Estelle and Rita from Vesperia? There is nothing wrong with that one because both characters complimented each other really well. I love Rita.

Gravidee

So as someone who hasn't seen past like a third of this season, did Korra and Asami has moments this season that could be interpreted as building a relationship aside from Asami being the only one Korra wrote, and Asami offering to go with her to the Water Tribe?

rkbijdnm8hqhlobb6iio.jpg

The Korrasami stuff is fine. Even while I think it is sweet, I wish it was not there as it will pretty much be the sole legacy of this series.
Whats wrong with the show breaking boundaries and being the first kids show with a non-white, woman, and LGBT protagonist? I really like that being the show's legacy.

Ending was good, kinda rushed but still good.

Also, I laughed my ass off at the Korrasami ending, I don´t really think they are lesbians, more like Heterosexual life partners, but allright, if they are lesbians that is cool too. it works in the context and it was given enough forshadowing, so sure.

Bisexuality is a thing.

Kinda hope that if the series ever continues in any form they do touch on that. Shit is a spectrum.

Not jumping on you, or anyone really, but yeah.

Didn't Netflix just launch an original animated series?
That flash animated Bo-Jackman show or the newly released Madagascar spinoff show?

It doesn't have to be Netflix necessarily. As stated before, Studio Mir are working on four TV shows, with 78 episodes each. Maybe Bryke could be working on one of those? They certainly have the connections and the working relationship, and Dreamworks seem pretty serious about this investment too.

If I still did avatar bets, I'd make one that Studio Mir or Dreamworks gets Bryke in to make their next thing with them. :p
That Dreamworks deal is very likely to be connected to the netflix deal that Dreamworks has with them too. Those four shows are incredibly likely to be spinoff shows of existing Dreamworks properties such as Madagascar, kufu panda, Shrek, and HTTYD. I'd be very surprised if any of those four shows are actually original IPs.

Lethe82

Banned
Whats wrong with the show breaking boundaries and being the first kids show with a non-white, woman, and LGBT protagonist? I really like that being the show's legacy.

I think it might be more that it literally is the final note without any buildup (apparently?) had it happened organically throughout the season (or the last two), and then been a known quantity prior to the climax that felt like a part of the narrative, it wouldn't overshadow everything else as much. As is it is the period on the series, kind of out of nowhere, following a relatively weak season for a series that was very disjointed. Having it run through the entire season might have actually helped obstetrical the relatively weak villain and make the final season more even about Korra herself, but I guess there are severe limits on what they can do with a kids show, currently. Most people aren't complaining because 'ew teh gays' it's because it will be the shows legacy even though it apparently wasn't done very well. Missed potential and all that.

But I haven't finished the season so I can only speculate.

Daemul

Well just talk about it and people will reply.

Yep, you can talk about anything here. We even had a huge Mako sympathy convo last night, something which really took me by surprise, but it happened. Poor guy got suckered.

Also, I am glad Korrasami happened, but it would have been about a million times better with some organic progression. I guess we can just interpret everything as unspoken, and something that Korra and Asami sort of realized maybe around season 3 ish, but eh.

Yeah, it could have been done better, though I think it was enough. I did suspect something was going on during season 3, and season 4 started getting my alarms ringing, but I brushed it away as an insane idea. Boy was I wrong.

There are four seasons worth of material and the only thing that anyone is ever going to say about it until the end of time is something that honestly had nothing to do with anything else in the show. Great for social justice and all, but it's not what the show was about and its not the reason anyone watched it (at least up until now).

MartyStu

Because it stops short of actually committing. I do not think it deserve all the props it is currently receiving.

I do not appreciate half-measures. And I think this show covers equally rich ground that I expect to be forgotten. Lost in the void.

Korra's recovery arc for example. Allegorically speaking it was almost a pitch perfect representation of a sexual abuse survivor's recovery.

I am much more appreciative of that than the frankly half-assed romantic ending.

Su didn't start an entire metal clan city, raised multiple prodigal children, and most importantly, able to put up with Toph's shit by being a "let's hug everything out" type of mom. She is a ruthless killer who will put down an ungrateful B like Kuvira like she would a dog.

I suppose that's quite true. I just thought it was weird that she didn't even appear to try, given what we have seen of her parenting, especially in Book 3.

I think it might be more that it literally is the final note without any buildup (apparently?) had it happened organically throughout the season (or the last two), and then been a known quantity prior to the climax that felt like a part of the narrative, it wouldn't overshadow everything else as much. As is it is the period on the series, kind of out of nowhere, following a relatively weak season for a series that was very disjointed. Having it run through the entire season might have actually helped obstetrical the relatively weak villain and make the final season more even about Korra herself, but I guess there are severe limits on what they can do with a kids show, currently. Most people aren't complaining because 'ew teh gays' it's because it will be the shows legacy even though it apparently wasn't done very well. Missed potential and all that.

But I haven't finished the season so I can only speculate.

It's not that it's completely out of nowhere, but with the limited build up it got, it just wasn't worth being the period of the entire series.

Lethe82

Banned
So is Korra a more powerful bender than Ang? I mean the things she was doing in Avatar mode at the end of season 3 was insane. Granted the poison took a lot out of her but this was when the poison was actively killing her on top of it all.

http://youtu.be/lQf-PhnPJn8

It's not that it's completely out of nowhere, but with the limited build up it got, it just wasn't worth being the period of the entire series.

Hey fair enough, as someone that wanted Korrasami to happen since basically halfway through season 2 though I will freely admit that (at least form my perspective) a lot of Korasami fans were reading REALLY HARD into any scene they could. XD

She is a fantastic skeleton for a character. And yes, she would have been much better from the beginning.
If they put more time into her actual character and motivation she would've been a really good character. They had the skeleton right but she was anorexic, thanks Bryke.

SalvaPot

Bisexuality is a thing.

Kinda hope that if the series ever continues in any form they do touch on that. Shit is a spectrum.

Not jumping on you, or anyone really, but yeah.

Hehe, sorry, yes, I know bisexuality is a thing, just typed lesbians because that was the endgame situation.

Anyway, now that I read some opinions and analysis, and a re-watch, I think it was clear that they are romantically involved now. Oh, and by laughing my ass off I meant that in a good way, I love when a show is not afraid to end a story they way they want.

Oh I thought the ending was nice enough, but I hope it doesn't overshadow all the other aspects. Hopefully Balance represents the theme of the season...including the analysis and valuation of all of the components that made these complicated characters and story arcs so good.

Oh I thought the ending was nice enough, but I hope it doesn't overshadow all the other aspects. Hopefully Balance represents the theme of the season...including the analysis and valuation of all of the components that made these complicated characters and story arcs so good.

Nope. This is what the show is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom