• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fedelias

I feel like the whole series could have been potentially better if all four books followed one single arc (like in TLA). Of course it could still be good switching antagonists every season, but maybe it would have been easier for Bryke to develop a story that had 4 books of antagonist development rather than just one.

Mononoke

Banned
I hope this makes it top of the page but lets make a list (preferably limited to 5) of the best fights in korra. I'm a bit busy so I'll only post my favorite at the moment and I'll need to refresh myself on book 1 fights (but Korra/Lin vs Amon is definitely unforgettable).

1. Tenzin vs Zaheer - We FINALLY get to see how a master airbender roles and an airbender on airbender fight was such an amazing treat. Seeing Tenzin not just wipe out Zaheer but Ming Hua and Ghazan SIMULTANEOUSLY made him own up to those tattoos. I always loved Tenzin but man this fight made me giddy all the way through.

Oh shit. Yes. Top 5 fights. It's on. How about we do a top 10 fights, and include ATLA too? And then list an order.

Omikaru

I know the feeling mate.
Here's something to make you a feel a bit better
tumblr_nh7ecwJN6Z1qm8wf8o1_500.gif
Some fans are crazy talented. Emphasis on both crazy and talented.

Afrocious

I'm not because people have to invent this instead of use material from the show. That is one of the frustrating things about how paper thin korrassmi is.

What happened to scenes like these?

tumblr_m8zpeumZ4W1rss05ao1_500.gif

eb3ab08dc4f7183eabed59bab0cd67291c32cdfe6bb52005ea05258f40a1c39c.jpg

Zuko-and-Katara-zuko-8671943-250-188.gif

KJyHbE2.png

latest

Pema_with_Tenzin_after_giving_birth.png

tumblr_inline_n7xdnhcGw21rctz6z.png

It's legitimately a shame. But hey, at least A DOOR is open despite it only being a crack it seems.

I don't think it matters so much if Bryke gets credited for beginning the move of minority rep in shows as long as we, well you know, get more minority rep in shows!

You know what's the biggest fucking travesty of this thread?

That I love Bayonetta 1 and 2, and own MGR:R and I haven't even put the damn disc in my PS3.

I think I even have it on Steam too.

I should totally find some Beach episode Azula and make a transparent Avatar. She looks funny in casual clothes. Also, that was the episode where she tried getting a boyfriend. LMAO

Although something about my current Avatar makes me want to keep it. I dunno. Something about her smile is funny to me. Just the expression. Hate fuckin Assassin's Creed Unity though.
That's a hilarious episode. I loved the volleyball match. Within 3 weeks Azula would've been wearing her boyfriends skin like a cape.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
If we wanted a single arc thoughout the show, get rid of Ravaa and Satan, start with Unalaq as the sole antagonist of Book 1, do not sever the past lives, have him when defeated say something about the Red Lotus. Korra still opens the portals up and airbenders start popping up, with Korra still not having mastered airbending. Come Book 2, we get Zaheer and his crew, I would be fine with just Book 3 as we got it. Insert timeskip.

Then new Book 3 we get Kuvira reuniting the Earth Kingdom, but hopefully with some more development on her part. Then last season we get Amon with hopefully a better backstory, but this time adult Korra and Krew face him instead. Series ends, Korrasami is still a thing, everyone's happy.

DedValve

Banned
Oh shit. Yes. Top 5 fights. It's on. How about we do a top 10 fights, and include ATLA too? And then list an order.

I was thinking that but we all know that EVERYONES #1 would be Azula vs Zuko. The payoff was so ridiculously good it simply cannot be matched. Impossible.
Tenzin vs Zaheer is #2.

Kataras daughter vs Zaheer was epic.

phaze

Whoooooooo....can I ask why? Legitimately? Like, I know people think I'm crazy because I liked Unalaq more than Kuvira (it's a camp with a population of one, as far as I'm concerned), but why Zaheer?

tumblr_naqu3k6uiQ1tbb8x0o1_500.gif

You're fighting a lonely battle so I'm going to throw in some moral support. Unalaq is the best villain of Korra and Atla because he was an actual threat, impervious to the ordinary Avatar state Deus Ex Machina. He's also the only bad guy to do lasting damage to Korra and her avatar brethren. His powers were not a complete asspull like Amon's and Zaheer's and the writers spared him from a shitty attempt at making him "deep".

<runs away>

Afrocious

1. Zuko/Katara vs Azula
2. Aang vs Ozai
3. Aang vs Zuko and Azula
4. Tenzin vs The Red Lotus
5. You folks will have to help me remember this, but I recall this one episode in ATLA where it was basically every main cast bender vs Azula and her crew in an abandoned village.

I thought that was neat as hell.

I might not be remembering clearly.

Trey

1. Zuko/Katara vs Azula
2. Aang vs Ozai
3. Aang vs Zuko and Azula
4. Tenzin vs The Red Lotus
5. You folks will have to help me remember this, but I recall this one episode in ATLA where it was basically every main cast bender vs Azula and her crew in an abandoned village.

I thought that was neat as hell.

I might not be remembering clearly.

The Chase.

DedValve

Banned
Making this into a list of Atla and Korra fights just highlights how Korra executes the choreography and animation flawlessly but fails to have half the emotional impact of even the weaker ATLA fights.

Toa TAK

Banned
Making this into a list of Atla and Korra fights just highlights how Korra executes the choreography and animation flawlessly but fails to have half the emotional impact of even the weaker ATLA fights.

It's kinda like how SWEpisode III had the Anakin vs Obi Wan fight compared to SWEpisode VI with Luke vs Darth Vader.

I should totally find some Beach episode Azula and make a transparent Avatar. She looks funny in casual clothes. Also, that was the episode where she tried getting a boyfriend. LMAO

Although something about my current Avatar makes me want to keep it. I dunno. Something about her smile is funny to me. Just the expression. Hate fuckin Assassin's Creed Unity though.

I'm developing stockholm syndrome for mine too. I'm getting an average 1 avatar quote per day as well, so well done.

Bit-Bit

I actually commend the writers for having not just the balls to do Korrasami, but even more so to have the balls to keep the connection to the past lives disconnected. It allows Korra to stand on her own as the first Avatar of the next 10,000 years generation. It's sort of beautifully poetic in a sad way.

RedShift

I swear this thread is moving faster now than it was during the season.

I've decided to go into denial about Avatar being over.It's too awesome for them to not make more.

Whoooooooo....can I ask why? Legitimately? Like, I know people think I'm crazy because I liked Unalaq more than Kuvira (it's a camp with a population of one, as far as I'm concerned), but why Zaheer?

tumblr_naqu3k6uiQ1tbb8x0o1_500.gif

Was I the only one terrified in Book three when Tenzin was getting the shit beaten out of him, but wouldn't back down, then the camera pans away?

I was legit white knuckled crying thinking they just offed him ;_; Then when he was ok I was like "OH THANK GOD."

Tenzin and Lin are my favorite characters :x

I actually commend the writers for having not just the balls to do Korrasami, but even more so to have the balls to keep the connection to the past lives disconnected. It allows Korra to stand on her own as the first Avatar of the next 10,000 years generation. It's sort of beautifully poetic in a sad way.

I agree with this. That scene in book two was PAINFUL. It's when you realize Aang, Roku, Kyoshi, etc. They are all truly gone now. And they didn't retcon later in the series by having Korra meditate really hard, or wish them back with the Dragonballs.

Afrocious

I agree with this. That scene in book two was PAINFUL. It's when you realize Aang, Roku, Kyoshi, etc. They are all truly gone now. And they didn't retcon later in the series by having Korra meditate really hard, or wish them back with the Dragonballs.

I kinda wish there was a Book dedicated to Korra fixing the connection.

I think that's something major.

EDIT: Not fanart, but I laughed.

IDO4hPR.jpg

Kinvara

I lost all respect for the man when Lin was rescuing him and he was wailing like a crybaby leading them to getting caught.

#hater

He's a brilliant architect who has a phobia of heights. Not everyone in the Avatar world can be a martial arts master.

Yeah, they made a pretty controversial decision to do that but I commend them for sticking to it.

wildfire

Banned
Equalist Revolution Begins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6ZYpawbAP4

The Sato connection is revealed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQhJj7r29o8

Airbenders vs Red Lotus

WTF. No one has the fight on youtube?

On a technical level these fights are amazing.

Bumi's Bullshit Stories are legit?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pvVTgfXqQU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW9YVcuM-aY

These fights are an achievement at matching the established narrative. It is so easy to mess these fights up such that they would make all the previous dialogue building up tp these moments fall flat on rewatches.

Bit-Bit

Airbenders vs Red Lotus

These fights are an achievement at matching the established narrative. It is so easy to mess these fights up such that they would make all the previous dialogue building up tp these moments fall flat on rewatches.

Yeah, people can bitch all day about nuances in the story that they didn't like or disagreed with, but one of the primary reasons that people love Korra so much is because most of the time, they nail the music, atmosphere, and pacing of great set pieces like these.

Afrocious

Airbenders vs Red Lotus

Is it just me, or are the voices high pitched in some of these. I feel like I'm listening to Sonic and friends talk.

#hater

He's a brilliant architect who has a phobia of heights. Not everyone in the Avatar world can be a martial arts master.

Yeah, they made a pretty controversial decision to do that but I commend them for sticking to it.
I respect the man's science but he could've got them all killed. Kuvira only found out what happened because of his wailing.

AniHawk

season 2 was the biggest disappointment of the show for me, but it has a lot to like. aside from beginnings, i think bumi accidentally saving the day was my favorite scene.

DedValve

Banned
My MAN.

Fuuuuuck. Fwiw I loved that fight in the theater.

You also like AC3 and where convinced that Bryke wouldn't royally screw over Kuvira. Your opinion is as invalid as Kuviras redemption scene.

Oh wow I just channeled my inner Ozai there.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
season 2 was the biggest disappointment of the show for me, but it has a lot to like. aside from beginnings, i think bumi accidentally saving the day was my favorite scene.

i really hated how bumi accidentally saved the day and presented more or less as a joke instead of bumi going all Solid Snake and taking down the base with strategy and his trusty uncle's boomerang

DedValve

Banned
Solid Bumi would be pretty badass in a world where there are no more badass nonbenders anymore.

At least we had a few amazing non benders in ATLA like Sokka, Sokkas master, Jet & crew, and even Zuko when he was the blue spirit.

i really hated how bumi accidentally saved the day and presented more or less as a joke instead of bumi going all Solid Snake and taking down the base with strategy and his trusty uncle's boomerang
The guy shoryunkenned a spirit and then performed Aqua lung for it what more do you need. Besides it seems consistent with their portrayal of Bumi.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
The guy shoryunkenned a spirit and then performed Aqua lung for it what more do you need. Besides it seems consistent with their portrayal of Bumi.

imagine if bumi had been bumbling around the whole season and then BAM, he reveals he was actually an amazing badass and not a living "bumdling uncle" joke. You could add the Yakety Sax to that whole scene and it wouldn't change a thing in tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom