• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrocious

The cool thing about Unalaq was that he wasn't written to grandstand on some political agenda. He just wanted power.

He was basically a waterbending Ozai. I also don't recall him flaking or having their character ruined by the end unlike the other three villains. He just became super duper and died like any reliable villain would do in any modest series.

Bryke had no business writing Amon or Zaheer since that was 2deep4them. Kuvira was a nice middle ground sans the orphan shit.

wtf I just praised Book 2 for something.

You post more received stuff than I do. I talk about sexuality but I may as well be Zoidberg with a tumblr lol.

Well, that and post a bunch of great fanart, doing god's work by filtering out the bad art.

I don't think the things you post are bad, and the some of the fan art is cool, I'm just really sick of the total domination of Korrasami in terms of conversation. Keep in mind, that domination is not being blamed on you at all, but it is part of the reason I started posting so many gifs. Just changing it up a bit. Besides, we had some nice talk going about comparing the different Books as wholes. It was nice.

The cool thing about Unalaq was that he wasn't written to grandstand on some political agenda. He just wanted power.

He was basically a waterbending Ozai. I also don't recall him flaking or having their character ruined by the end unlike the other three villains. He just became super duper and died like any reliable villain would do in any modest series.

Bryke had no business writing Amon or Zaheer since that was 2deep4them. Kuvira was a nice middle ground sans the orphan shit.

wtf I just praised Book 2 for something.

6ozUKYl.gif

Whoops double post. My bad.

Mononoke

Banned
I don't think the things you post are bad, and the some of the fan art is cool, I'm just really sick of the total domination of Korrasami in terms of conversation. Keep in mind, that domination is not being blamed on you at all, but it is part of the reason I started posting so many gifs. Just changing it up a bit. Besides, we had some nice talk going about comparing the different Books as wholes. It was nice.

Yep. Korrasami dominating all discussion of the series, just shows how messed up this fan base is, and how messed up the writing was. It shows how shallow the overall writing was in this show, and what people really cared about in the end. I mean, there is so much wrong with the finale and the overall series, and yet people only care about Korrasami. Even if people don't think the finale had issues or the series had overall problems. The show was not Korrasami. And at best, it was a side relationship that only barely got introduced in Book 3 (and wasn't even close to a main focus of Book 4. It legit had almost no screen time).

So that people are satisfied with everything solely because Korrasami, and it's what the show is being 100% defined by....it's a big let down, to be quite honest. I don't think everyone has to agree that there were issues. Or that people need to discuss the flaws either (there is wisdom in just, enjoying something. And only focusing on the positives). But I feel like even that, people aren't talking about anything else the show was about (the positives).

And this is coming from someone that loves Korrasami. Who shipped them back in Book 2. Who dreamed about them being together. Who thinks the actual Spirit Portal scene is beautiful. But that, it's what everything is about now, I just find baffling.

Why even watch the show, if the world of avatar (the characters, the mythology, the themes)...didn't matter and all you cared about was about romance. I dunno. I don't get it. I also think Bryke are super lazy, and really just copped out of finishing up the series properly. They knew this is what would set off the fan base, and what would dominate the discussion. I really think they just gave up (ran out of ideas), and used Korrasami as their ace in the hole to kind of fix all their Book 4 issues.

SMH.

Yep. Korrasami dominating all discussion of the series, just shows how messed up this fan base is, and how messed up the writing was. It shows how shallow the overall writing was in this show, and what people really cared about. I mean, there is so much wrong with the finale and the overall series, and yet people only care about Korrasami. Even if people don't think the finale had issues or the series had overall problems. The show was not Korrasami. And at best, it was a side relationship that only barely got introduced in Book 3 (and wasn't even close to a main focus of Book 4. It legit had almost no screen time).

So that people are satisfied with everything solely because Korrasami, and it's what the show is being 100% defined by....it's a big let down, to be quite honest.

And this is coming from someone that loves Korrasami. Who shipped them back in Book 2. Who dreamed about them being together. Who thinks the actual Spirit Portal scene is beautiful. But that, it's what everything is about now, I just find baffling.

Why even watch the show, if the world of avatar (the characters, the mythology, the themes)...didn't matter and all you cared about was about romance. I dunno. I don't get it. I also think Bryke are super lazy, and really just copped out of finishing up the series properly. They knew this is what would set off the fan base, and what would dominate the discussion. I really think they just gave up (ran out of ideas), and used Korrasami as their ace in the hole to kind of fix all their Book 4 issues.

SMH.

Pretty much how I felt.

qG7H0b7.gif

Daemul

Welp, the Korrasami fan art has reached this point faster than I thought it would lol. Before anyone loses their shit, the kids are adopted, no biological mumbo jumbo was involved here :p

Can I also say that the artist is amazing, I thought it was an official picture for a moment.

tumblr_nh6r09WbLl1rb5e48o1_500.png

1108.gif

I'm ok with this.

Is smh "shaking my head" or "so much hate"?

I agree on the principle that Korrasami shouldn't be the only thing talked about. But I am also in the camp that genuinely loved Book 4 for the most part and finale overall.

Obviously I love Korrasami. But as I've stated before I never shipped, I never really cares about romances in shows. The ending was just so powerful and moving to me.

I appreciate that everyone has a right to their own opinions and I won't judge them for that.

Mononoke

Banned
Pretty much how I felt.

qG7H0b7.gif

Man, I hate Book 2. But it had some pretty sweet fighting scenes.

I kind of with they would have went into more depth, with the family aspect of the plot. Like the really painful/bad blood between Korra's sad and Unalaq. Korra feeling absolutely gutted at her uncle having her trust, and using her (and wanting to kill her).

I almost find it odd that, Korra wasn't broken like she was after Book 3, by having a relative want to kill her. I mean, Korra didn't really seem to react too much after the events of Book 2. Well, she was bummed about the spirit connections being lost. And she was trying to find her next purpose after Republic City didn't want her there anymore. But I dunno. It's like damn, your own flesh and blood wanted you dead.

Well, I do understand, but as a guy not too fond of heights, I sympathize.
I have a thing against heights as well. Lin should have just gagged the guy or do one of those anime knock out punches and then flung him over.
Welp, the Korrasami fan art has reached this point faster than I thought it would lol. Before anyone loses their shit, the kids are adopted, no biological mumbo jumbo was involved here :p

Can I also say that the artist is amazing,

1108.gif

I'm ok with this.
And here I was thinking Mako was the sperm donor.

Can I also say that the artist is amazing,

1108.gif

I'm ok with this.

But why is Korra wearing the necklace? Shouldn't Asami be?

Fuck it. Remember how Tonraq is fucking sick?

ice-boom-dad-vs-zaheer.gif

Azula said:
Man, I hate Book 2. But it had some pretty sweet fighting scenes.

I kind of with they would have went into more depth, with the family aspect of the plot. Like the really painful/bad blood between Korra's sad and Unalaq. Korra feeling absolutely gutted at her uncle having her trust, and using her (and wanting to kill her).

I almost find it odd that, Korra wasn't broken like she was after Book 3, by having a relative want to kill her. I mean, Korra didn't really seem to react too much after the events of Book 2. Well, she was bummed about the spirit connections being lost. And she was trying to find her next purpose after Republic City didn't want her there anymore. But I dunno. It's like damn, your own flesh and blood wanted you dead.

I agree, but at the same time Unalaq and her were never that close, or at least that's the vibe I got. She always got weirded out by them (especially Eska and Desna). I mean, I have an aunt whom I despise to the point that I physically shake if she and I are in the same room, so if she had wanted me dead I wouldn't be so broken up about it.

Mononoke

Banned
Is smh "shaking my head" or "so much hate"?

I agree on the principle that Korrasami shouldn't be the only thing talked about. But I am also in the camp that genuinely loved Book 4 for the most part and finale overall.

I've always used it as shaking my head. I didn't know it could be used as So much hate lol.

Anyways,I totally am okay with people being happy about Korrasami. I mean again, I get what the relationship means. But even if it wasn't important for gay representation, people that ship and like romance, would have been ecstatic about their favorite couple ending up together. People just generally love that stuff. And that's fine.

But damn. I think there is a problem if that is like 100% of the discussion. Something isn't right, if you have a 4 season series. And like, you have a side relationship only barely introduced in Book 3, and not even close to being a big part (not even a medium part) of Book 4. And yet, that ends up being the thing that anyone talks about the ending. TLOK had a lot more going on plot wise, mythology wise. I dunno. Bryke kind of left things really strange for all that stuff. I still don't feel we got proper resolution for a lot of the plot/themes and a lot of the side characters.

So I almost can't blame people for only focusing on Korrasami, when that is the way they chose to end the entire series. I just find it so bizarre. Looking back on the show Korra is 50% of the show away from her friends, and the group is almost split up for 50% of the show. It's just a weird story in that regard. How in the end, it really kind of just...faded away from being a show about friends. And then ended up being a show about a single person and their single romance. Like even Bolin and Mako were just off living their own lives by the start of Book 4. Everyone was just kind of off on their own. Weird stuff.

EDIT: I'm talking about the overall discussion and what people are focusing on (I'm not saying this specific thread, or singling anyone. I do think, even on this forum the Korrasami stuff was a bit too much, considering the finale/overall show was more about other things, and Korrasami wasn't even a main focus of Book 4 or the series. But I don't think it's a problem right now.)

Toa TAK

Banned

Can I also say that the artist is amazing, I thought it was an official picture for a moment.

Kids are adopted? YEAH RIGHT

But holy cheese that's pretty amazing art.

Astral Dog

Unalaq had a better overall story (even if it was worse in terms of execution). But Kuvira had a better design and fighting technique. Unalaq was just a generic design and was a moustache twirling villain with a bland design.

I guess I can see why Kuviras stoic personality came off bland though to some

I put them around the same, I dont think the design of Kuvira is anything special either, her battle style is much better, for the two times she fights, but at least we know what Unalaq was, an evil, power hungry sadistic bastard, but who the hell is Kuvira ? a dictator with good intentions, or a power hungry racist ?

Whats the deal with the labor camps? or the " i always get what i want" or her attitude when she fights Korra the first time? why kidnap Wu? why not use her firebender and waterbender citizens as weapons, instead of whatever she does?

Afrocious

I posted that mary sue article about Korrasami and the space to possibly critique it in a way that benefits folks who are happy about representation, but that got ignored :/

Toa TAK

Banned
This is Avatar. I'm sure Korra can spirit bend or some shit to make her preggars.

"Korra Spirit bends to impregnate herself" is another fanfic in the making.

Man, Tumblr and Fanfiction.net readers must be weeping tears of joy with all the ideas in this thread.

Trey

Romance is easy to talk about, especially one with such intrigue beyond the show's universe. Besides, there's been a range of topics discussed in this thread since the finale. I don't find the Korrasami stuff overbearing or dominating discussion at all.

The most common refrain of this thread has been taking turns chastising Mike and Bryan, and Nick.

Daemul

Kids are adopted? YEAH RIGHT

But holy cheese that's pretty amazing art.

Yo, I thought some magical bullshit happened too, until I read the artists blog, turnws out to be just simple adoption lol

But yeah, this is probably the best Korrasami fanart I've seen, it looks like something you'd see Bryke themselves come up with.

He would just be adding one more L to that trophy case.

Dude has been screwed over too much, Bryke have to go easy on him now.

Afrocious

Just saw that pic of them with kids.

First thought: What the fuck

Second thought: Goddamn that's good

Third thought: damn I love gay happy tumblr

Romance is easy to talk about, especially one with such intrigue beyond the show's universe. Besides, there's been a range of topics discussed in this thread since the finale. I don't find the Korrasami stuff overbearing or dominating discussion at all.

The most common refrain of this thread has been taking turns chastising Mike and Bryan, and Nick.

This is also true

Afrocious

I have to agree with this.

I mean, we did talk about YJ for a bit which is fine, but that's kind of a testament to how cyclic this OT is becoming :/.

Mononoke

Banned

I do. It's literally the majority of what people talk about. Also, Trey you disagree with me on everything. Christ balls. I've never met someone that is lock in step against everything I say. Lol

It might not be the only thing ( nothing is absolute). But it's certainly is the most talked about thing (especially if you go off this forum and head over to other places). And it's really quite sad/bizarre that this side romance is really what is defining the ending and the show, when the show was about other things.

EDIT: You were talking about this thread. I think some of the Korrasami stuff was overbearing at first. But yeah it's died down in this thread. I agree there is discussion about other things. I was talking about the overall discussion even beyond this forum (and what people are generally focusing on). That is what I meant.

So to be clear, I was not aiming my post at anyone on this thread. I'll edit my post, so that is made clear.

Yo, I thought some magical bullshit happened too, until I read the artists blog, turnws out to be just simple adoption lol

But yeah, this is probably the best Korrasami fanart I've seen, it looks like something you'd see Bryke themselves come up with.

Dude has been screwed over too much, Bryke have to go easy on him now.
I guess. Maybe he'll shack up with the anti Korra when she gets out of prison. Given his lingering feelings for Korra he's a bit of a masochist, it could work.

Mononoke

Banned
I put them around the same, I dont think the design of Kuvira is anything special either, her battle style is much better, for the two times she fights, but at least we know what Unalaq was, an evil, power hungry sadistic bastard, but who the hell is Kuvira ? a dictator with good intentions, or a power hungry racist ?

Whats the deal with the labor camps? or the " i always get what i want" or her attitude when she fights Korra the first time? why kidnap Wu? why not use her firebender and waterbender citizens as weapons, instead of whatever she does?

When I say design, I just liked her uniform and her bending style. The whole religious/robe water tribe look, didn't do anything for me. And also Unalaq like actual look (his face) was just kind of meh to me. But, I can see where you are coming from. I'm not really sure Kuvira herself looks special. Looks like a regular person, and her personality was really bland (it had potential, but they did nothing with it).

DedValve

Banned
stop it with these book 1 gifs. That's the most depressing book for how much potential it had ;_;

Fuck now I'm depressed at what Korra could have been.

When I say design, I just liked her uniform and her bending style. The whole religious/robe water tribe look, didn't do anything for me. And also Unalaq like actual look (his face) was just kind of meh to me.
When I first saw season two I seriously thought Unaloq was Tarlock.

Trey

I do. It's literally the majority of all people talk about. Also, Trey you disagree with me on everything. Christ balls. I've never met someone that is lock in step against everything I say. Lol

We probably agree on 90 percent of things about this show and this community. People tend to give more weight to the disagreements, as they stick out more.

Similar to how it feels like Korrasami is talked about a lot, because you recall the discussion surrounding that more readily than the stuff about the animation being good, Nick sucks, order of the seasons, Mako got shafted, Mike and Bryan suck, KorraGAF goes to Japan, KorraGAF goes to NY/SDCC, Young Justice, order of the villains, etc. (all of this was discussed over the last 24 hours; I'm probably forgetting more).

Afrocious

I know the feeling mate.
Here's something to make you a feel a bit better
tumblr_nh7ecwJN6Z1qm8wf8o1_500.gif

Yay.

Also, I do feel like the opinions of the finale are way too binary to be ignored, especially given the questionable quality of the show and the potential reprecussions of the ending onto other shows on TV.

I'll quote myself from (p)ages ago for anyone interested in reading this Mary Sue article. Not to say that the ending was queer baiting, but I do think underrepresented folks should demand more FAIR representation as opposed to the amibiguous scenes we received in Korra.

I can definitely see how LoK should honestly be the barest of bones of representation, but more fleshed out non-hetero relationships, the better.

Here's the article I've been mentioning: http://www.themarysue.com/legend-of-korra-ending-scene/

I've been going back and forth with myself on why exactly the ending of LoK made me as happy as it did regardless of the criticms I could find easily within it, the book itself, and the whole show it concludes. I think it's because there's actual representation of a minority group within a children's show on a network that had every ability to nix any sign of bisexuality.

That said, regardless of myself and others knowing full well the pairing was true at the end before Bryke both came out to reaffirm it, we all honestly felt there could've been more to build up it. Either to help some audience see where the 'crazy shippers' were coming from or to give folks who geninuely saw Korra and Asami compatible together some more tangible and concrete to see how close the two really were, there could've been more even if the two never kissed. Potentially, this would've been something sprinkled throughout the show in their own small three or four minute segments as opposed to this extravagant display of Korra and Asami at the end.

Them hugging or admitting they loved each other right before the colossus attack or something. Anything. When you think about it, if such a moment existed between the two characters, then the reception of Bryke's blog articles about Korrasami being canon wouldn't have been as big as it was, you know? Even I got hyped about it.

I can't say for sure if Nick censored Bryke's plans to have the two interact more intimately (they definitely were on par for the course, you'd think), but I think we should take into consideration that the writers shot themselves in the foot when they, again, decided they should make shorter books and write them with underwhelming stories for all four books.

Here's a part of the article I'll probably reference for a long time:

And here’s the biggest frustration with the finished result. Because while it’s clear to me that it’s not platonic, I wanted there to be no ambiguity. I wanted the writers and animators to have been able to include just one more detail to that moment to sell home that “This isn’t a fluke. This isn’t coincidence.” Of course to parallel A:TLA’s finale I’d want them to kiss in the last shot, but even a kiss on the cheek when they spoke at the wedding would have helped. Even an “I love you” from one to the other as they stepped into the portal (which the network could in good faith interpret as a platonic sort of love if they wanted to feign ignorance. Or, I don’t know, tell themselves the girls are cousins). Even just a little bit more to take away the naysayers. I feel like maybe we’re even missing a scene somewhere around the time of the clip show, something where Korra and Asami relay their feelings to each other but put it aside because they need to stop this dictator before anything else. Because everything is set up perfectly except for confirming each other’s feelings.

Yes, I interpret the intent of the last scene to be romantic and I respect the fans shouting to the heavens that it’s “100% canon” to describe that ending moment, but at the same time I don’t want LGBT+ fans settling on anything less than explicit because dang it, queer relationships deserve proper representation. This shouldn’t be the closest we get to explicit confirmation.

As both a minority (a black man) and a writer, that last paragraph notes something I've always wanted but never actually experienced. I've never looked at representation as being lackluster considering it happens so little, but the writer makes a damn good point IMO.

Well... did you see season 2?
She kinda dies and he has not relationship from there on. So he could easily get attracted to another boy. Maybe it's something they wanted to play with in season 3. :(

God I forgot how relentless YJ was with its characters.

*sigh* Season 3....

You know, I'm wondering if it's even worth putting a show on a network. Granted, I don't like RWBY but that show is popular enough without needing to be on any channel.

Mononoke

Banned
We probably agree on 90 percent of things about this show and this community. People tend to give more weight to the disagreements, as they stick out more.

Similar to how it feels like Korrasami is talked about a lot, because you recall the discussion surrounding that more readily than the stuff about the animation being good, Nick sucks, order of the seasons, Mako got shafted, Mike and Bryan suck, KorraGAF goes to Japan, KorraGAF goes to NY/SDCC, Young Justice, order of the villains, etc. (all of this was discussed over the last 24 hours; I'm probably forgetting more).

I edited my post, but I was talking about the overall discussion and what fans are focusing on. Wasn't talking about this thread. Also I do think even on this forum it was a bit much, given how little it was a focus in the story. But yeah, recently it's not been awful or anything. I was just talking about this idea that, the series is now being defined by this, and it's what everyone seems to be focusing (especially outside this board). And that to me is kind of...sad, and telling of the overall writing of the show.

Also, we may agree on a lot of things. But lol 99% of your posts are disagreeing with me. Shit be cray.

DedValve

Banned

Korrasami dominated the first few days since the finale but by midweek there was a lot more discussion on how awful book 4 was.

So basically we either keep talking about Korrasami or talk about how awful book 4 was. Or post fanart of what the show could have been.

Bring on the awesome fanart for my headcanon!

EDIT: Aqualad is gay in the comics? Aqualad was like the hottest in young justice. Hot damn I feel robbed.

stop it with these book 1 gifs. That's the most depressing book for how much potential it had ;_;

Fuck now I'm depressed at what Korra could have been.

LoK could have been a lot of things. A tragedy(Books 1 to 3) where a sheltered Avatar only had one dream and one meaning to her existence, to live up to the legacy of the past avatars. Only in the end left crippled and broken, seeing her existence became moot before her eyes. Or perhaps a neat summery of the Interwar period (1920s - 1930s), a great shift ideology and destruction of ancien regimes. A great many number of things LoK could have been...

Trey

Disagreements are bound to happen. That's the largest reason I stuck around in this community, because many viewpoints differed from mine. It allowed me to expand my critical lense of the show; it also allowed me to appreciate the fair amount of things Korra does right all throughout its run.

Afrocious

Korrasami dominated the first few days since the finale but by midweek there was a lot more discussion on how awful book 4 was.

So basically we either keep talking about Korrasami or talk about how awful book 4 was. Or post fanart of what the show could have been.

Bring on the awesome fanart for my headcanon!

I have to head out of town after I get out of work, but I'll post an entire post of fanart just for you!

LoK could have been a lot of things. A tragedy(Books 1 to 3) where a sheltered Avatar only had one dream and one meaning to her existence, to live up to the legacy of the past avatars. Only in the end left crippled and broken, seeing her existence became moot before her eyes. Or perhaps a neat summery of the Interwar period (1920s - 1930s), a great shift ideology and destruction of ancien regimes. A great many number of things LoK could have been...

Bryke couldn't pull off Korra confirmed.

:(

Disagreements are bound to happen. That's the largest reason I stuck around in this community, because many viewpoints differed from mine. It allowed me to expand my critical lense of the show; it also allowed me to appreciate the fair amount of things Korra does right all throughout its run.

This is important and the same thing happened to me within this thread. I woudn't have given Book 1 the time of day if it wasn't for this thread.

Folks need to be in more disagreements. Being around people who say yes all the time makes you soft.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

they shouldve asked mako for a favor

Mononoke

Banned
I should totally find some Beach episode Azula and make a transparent Avatar. She looks funny in casual clothes. Also, that was the episode where she tried getting a boyfriend. LMAO

Although something about my current Avatar makes me want to keep it. I dunno. Something about her smile is funny to me. Just the expression. Hate fuckin Assassin's Creed Unity though.

DedValve

Banned
I hope this makes it top of the page but lets make a list (preferably limited to 5) of the best fights in korra. I'm a bit busy so I'll only post my favorite at the moment and I'll need to refresh myself on book 1 fights (but Korra/Lin vs Amon is definitely unforgettable).

1. Tenzin vs Zaheer - We FINALLY get to see how a master airbender roles and an airbender on airbender fight was such an amazing treat. Seeing Tenzin not just wipe out Zaheer but Ming Hua and Ghazan SIMULTANEOUSLY made him own up to those tattoos. I always loved Tenzin but man this fight made me giddy all the way through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom