• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mononoke

Banned
You know what else older demographics enjoy to buy? It's this silly little toy called MUSIC. OSTS. SOUNDTRACKS. CDS. SOUND OF ANY KIND.

Hah yes. Should have included that in my list. OMG. I mean...the fact that they won't even allow Zuckerman to release the music digitally. FUCKIN DIGITALLY.

Just wow. Fuckin wow.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
like, making toys for Avatar must be one of the easiest things in the world. Just get Aang and some air thingies that can be detached, Zuko with his dual swords + fire, Katara with waterfalls, Toph with rocks, Sokka and his boomerang. For the other peeps there's also OSTs, posters with amazing art. You can even make some airbender staffs which are literally pieces of wood, some Blue Spirit masks, etc. Can't believe Nick fucked that up.

Kinvara

There was no excuse for the merchandising. Again, if they didn't want toys because the age demographic was older, where the fuck were the backpacks, shirts, hoodies, keychains, posters, pens etc. Nick basically didn't give a shit about this shows demographics and it shows.

They didn't give a fuck about the timeslot. Didn't give a fuck about the merchandising.

Then they complain when the shows ratings drop or doesn't do well financially. Gee I wonder why. I bet Nick right now thinks its the shows fault that it didn't do well $$$ wise. In their heads, they think it just proves their belief that the $$$ is in the younger demographics (the direction they are going). They have their heads so far up their own ass, they don't realize they tanked their own show and ruined its chances of being financially successful. But in their minds, its the older demographic/mature show that was to blame.

Isn't Nickelodeon struggling right now when compared to the other networks?

They lean on shows that are long past their prime (Fairly Odd Parents, Spongebob) and don't produce enough new content and mishandle the shows they do have.

I hate to be THAT person but 1990s Nickelodeon had much better programming because the network was still young and they were willing to invest in new/different things in order to draw viewers.

They lean on shows that are long past their prime (Fairly Odd Parents, Spongebob) and don't produce enough new content and mishandle the shows they do have.

I hate to be THAT person but 1990s Nickelodeon had much better programming because the network was still young and they were willing to invest in new/different things in order to draw viewers.

I wonder if the switch to online release for Korra was experiment. I mean, I kind of want to commend them as I think a lot of other networks (coughcartoonnetworkcough) would simply cancel the series altogether.

Okay, here the near-final version of the financial section. I'm going to both email and snail mail the letter.

Yet, I do understand that Nickelodeon is a business and you are beholden to your shareholders. The world of Avatar has an amazing potential to be both financially successful as well as  progressive. General convention holds that boys won’t play with female toys, this is untrue. I believe that if properly advertised and properly used, Korra could do well with action figures aimed at both a male and female demographic. Socially progressive toys would be a great press relations boon, as stereotypically gendered toys are coming under intense criticism. As well, higher-end action figures would likely be well received among Korra’s older viewership, not to mention clothing, backpacks, posters, soundtracks, books, pens, video games, so on and so forth for both demographics.

In changing Korra’s original timeslot the attached demographic, rather than the target, was ignored. Korra should have been given top billing on Saturday mornings, a time when both the target demographic, children, and the attached demographic, teenagers and young adults would be able to tune in. Book 1 of Korra did so amazingly well in ratings (averaging 3.7 million viewers per episode!), yet when the show was removed from Saturday mornings, was inadequately advertised, and the ratings dropped, it was never rectified. Korra still holds great financial and social potential if it can be tapped.

Mononoke

Banned

Could be. Maybe it was just a financial thing, so they are less likely to take risks, or spend money. But it's like, why spend money for a TV show, and then not spend money to support it.

Can't make money without spending money. And you can't expect a show to succeed if you aren't going to put things into it. I just look at how massively successful Book 1 was, and it blows my mind how they take that, and just run it into the ground.

Okay, here the near-final version of the financial section. I'm going to both email and snail mail the letter.

Good stuff. Honestly, I think your letter is pretty damn solid overall now. I'm not sure if they will read it, or care. But you did go about it the right way. You criticized them for not supporting a show that had a massive social impact on people (that really impacted peoples lives in a powerful way), while also hitting them where it hurts (financially, and explaining why it could have made them money, and why they are responsible for not making money). I honestly think that is the only approach to this sort of thing.

So great job. :)

Can't make money without spending money. And you can't expect a show to succeed if you aren't going to put things into it. I just look at how massively successful Book 1 was, and it blows my mind how they take that, and just run it into the ground.

Sometimes I wonder if there was bad blood between Nick and Bryke somewhere.

Mononoke

Banned
Sometimes I wonder if there was bad blood between Nick and Bryke somewhere.

I've had that thought too. I do know that Nick originally, didn't want Korra to be female. They rejected the idea of their next show having a female protagonist. They didn't think it would be successful among young males (which is their core demographic). And I know they originally gave Bryke resistance, even after they told Bryke they could have freedom to do what they wanted, as long as it was in the Avatar universe.

Nick eventually caved in. But I imagine, this kind of set things off on the wrong foot. That they already didn't have faith in a female protagonist, and were already feeling iffy on Bryke's new show before it aired.

And just based on some of the shit Bryke has said in interviews and on tumblr, it seems like there is bad blood there. I mean, given their budget cuts, time limitations, and Nick not supporting it, I can only imagine how Bryke felt after the amount of work they put in.

But lol Fuck Nick. From the very beginning they were against a female protagonist. They are anti-progression.

So I see y'all had a conversation about Buffy while I was away. I'm a little saddened by that.

tumblr_inline_neoux72QMA1qhn1ev.gif

Toa TAK

Banned
You know what else older demographics enjoy to buy? It's this silly little toy called MUSIC. OSTS. SOUNDTRACKS. CDS. SOUND OF ANY KIND.

Hah yes. Should have included that in my list. OMG. I mean...the fact that they won't even allow Zuckerman to release the music digitally. FUCKIN DIGITALLY.

Just wow. Fuckin wow.

If they don't release it digitally Zuckerman needs to "leak" it accidentally

lol. Someone hacked my computer.

He can just blame it on the North Koreans.
PLLLEEAAASE!! :(

Afrocious

But lol Fuck Nick. From the very beginning they were against a female protagonist. They are anti-progression.

This too.

Not to say you shouldn't send your letter SG-17, but I'm not seeing how it's better to tell Nick "This is how you failed to get money, and this is how you could get more if you do these things so we can keep watching this show."

Nick sucks, CN sucks, Disney sucks, they all suck.

Bryke should hop on the kickstarter bandwagon. I'm funding dudes who worked on The Boondocks who are coming up with their own comedy-fantasy show with people of color.

I'd rather do that than try to convince a monolithic company of anything.

Barf yeah, how do they even come back from this? Even if they eventually want to do more after a while, I wouldn't be surprised if Nick says "no more avatarverse" because of Korra's weaker ratings...which can mostly be attributed to their own poor handling of it.

This too.

Not to say you shouldn't send your letter SG-17, but I'm not seeing how it's better to tell Nick "This is how you failed to get money, and this is how you could get more if you do these things so we can keep watching this show."

Nick sucks, CN sucks, Disney sucks, they all suck.

Bryke should hop on the kickstarter bandwagon. I'm funding dudes who worked on The Boondocks who are coming up with their own comedy-fantasy show with people of color.

I'd rather do that than try to convince a monolithic company of anything.
I know, I know. This is why I'm doing it. I love the world they built so much, as much as I'd support Bryke in any new projects, I don't want Avatar to be gone. It's too good for that.

Do Bryke own the IP or does Nick?

Afrocious

Do Bryke own the IP or does Nick?

Nick.

Let's just have Bryke make their equivalent of Bioware's Dragon Age, since Bioware apparently couldn't just run with Dungeons and Dragons settings and lore anymore like they did with Baldur's Gate.

Everything will be better because of it.

Mononoke

Banned
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I realize it'll probably do nothing, but I had to do something.

I didn't mean to come off like, it won't (or that it's pointless). It could. Honestly, it's a great thing you are speaking your mind and getting your feelings out there. It does mean something, in that regard. Also in my experience, you would be shocked at how little people actually write letters. You should consider typing this up, and mailing it to them (vs email). You can do both. But I do recommend sending an actual letter.

Corporations usually don't expect people taking the time to either hand write a letter, or physically send a typed letter in the mail. They are almost more likely to read that or take notice, since it shows you took some effort. I've seen people get free shit, get responses, or even make change happen through this.

Just because again, most people don't do this anymore.

Even if it doesn't change the network, it's still you making them read your opinions. And you never know, it could make them think about what they've done. That alone, would be worth it. So I say, kudos to you for taking the time to write all that out. I say it's beautiful.

She got Bryked

Became stupid in season 2, shit on in season 3 and 4
It's like she had a brain aneurysm in season 2. Bryke really do shit on their strong female cast a lot too, damn fucking shame too because they know how to design...well Bryan does since he's the art director, but whomever signs off on how they write them drops the ball.
Pema must really got the moves, then.
No. Tenzin just wanted to be in a relationship where he was capable of being the man in it.

Toa TAK

Banned
I strongly reccomend you taking the time to mail it in as well. I know I said I haven't written letters to business, but when I was a kid I used to send some fanmade comics of Bionicle to LEGO and they sent me letters back, so that was cool.

Mononoke

Banned
I strongly reccomend you taking the time to mail it in as well. I know I said I haven't written letters to business, but when I was a kid I used to send some fanmade comics of Bionicle to LEGO and they sent me letters back, so that was cool.

I know people that have sent letters in person, who have gotten results better then Email. Recently too. Especially in the last 10 years. People just don't send letters anymore. So use that to your advantage.

Toa TAK

Banned
I know people that have sent letters in person, who have gotten results better then Email. Recently too. Especially in the last 10 years. People just don't send letters anymore. So use that to your advantage.

It's a shame, too. I love writing letters.
I was planning on doing both. I just can't hand write it since my handwriting is worse than a doctor's.

Haha, I know that feeling. Sometimes I wonder how my friend can even read mine.

Fedelias

Finally finished marathoning season 4! Wow, that ending though. I actually thought Kuvira was pretty good as a villain, not as good as Amon, but better than Unalaq and Zaheer. Is Nick for sure not producing ANY Avatar anymore? I really need my avatar fix :(

Mononoke

Banned
I was planning on doing both. I just can't hand write it since my handwriting is worse than a doctor's.

Just type it up on Word or some program, print it out. And sign your name at the bottom. It's probably better to do it that way (since not everyone can read each other's writing, and typed is always easy to read).

It's more so, physically sending it in that matters. Good luck!

Finally finished marathoning season 4! Wow, that ending though. I actually thought Kuvira was pretty good as a villain, not as good as Amon, but better than Unalaq and Zaheer. Is Nick for sure not producing ANY Avatar anymore? I really need my avatar fix :(

Whoooooooo....can I ask why? Legitimately? Like, I know people think I'm crazy because I liked Unalaq more than Kuvira (it's a camp with a population of one, as far as I'm concerned), but why Zaheer?

tumblr_naqu3k6uiQ1tbb8x0o1_500.gif

Toa TAK

Banned

Whoooooooo....can I ask why? Legitimately? Like, I know people think I'm crazy because I liked Unalaq more than Kuvira (it's a camp with a population of one, as far as I'm concerned), but why Zaheer?

I was so tempted to post this yesterday.

Also, good on you Fedelias, to recognize the greatest antagonist ("villain" is a loaded word) in the history of the series.
kuviraroundup_by_doomslicer-d81md7z.gif

Mononoke

Banned

Unalaq had a better overall story (even if it was worse in terms of execution). But Kuvira had a better design and fighting technique. Unalaq was just a generic design and was a moustache twirling villain with a bland design.

I guess I can see why Kuviras stoic personality came off bland though to some

No. Tenzin just wanted to be in a relationship where he was capable of being the man in it.
Damn. Would pay for Young Tenzin/Lin flashbacks.
Last night there was a momentary book one renaissance in the thread. We were all posting book one gifs

So beautiful ;_;7
You know if there was one moment in book 1 I could've been around GAF for, It would probably be when Amon resists Tarrlok's bloodbending. Just for the reactions. Had me thinking he was some unholy, dark spirit or something.

Unalaq had a better overall story (even if it was worse in terms of execution). But Kuvira had a better design and fighting technique. Unalaq was just a generic design and was a moustache twirling villain with a bland design.

I guess I can see why Kuviras stoic personality came off bland though to some

I'm not saying I dislike Kuvira, but I made a shitload of posts back on like, pages 52 and 53 (maybe 54 as well?) on why I like Unalaq more.

They were lengthy.

Mononoke

Banned

I guess I can see why Kuviras stoic personality came off bland though to some. Zaheer is still the best overall villain. His only flaw was that his ideas needed to be fleshed out more. Like even if you think his chaos idea was dumb, he still had a lot of conviction and passion and truly believed it was the right thing.

If we had like seen how he came to believe these things it would have made him better. Amon had the best overall design and presence. But his story fell the fuck apart. Although I think Zaheer had better fights. Even if he wasn't a skilled fighter the way he moved and knew how to flee made fights intense.

Edit: double post. And I'll go back and read you lengthy posts on why you like Unalaq more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom