• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
imagine if bumi had been bumbling around the whole season and then BAM, he reveals he was actually an amazing badass and not a living "bumdling uncle" joke. You could add the Yakety Sax to that whole scene and it wouldn't change a thing in tone.
This is true but from the second you see Bumi you could tell the man doesn't take shit seriously. Besides he let himself get out of shape. A true soldier doesn't let himself get that fucking fat. Imagine snake with a beer gut. You can't because he wouldn't let it happen.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
This is true but from the second you see Bumi you could tell the man doesn't take shit seriously. Besides he let himself get out of shape. A true soldier doesn't let himself get that fucking fat. Imagine snake with a beer gut. You can't because he wouldn't let it happen.

i was going to post a pic but surprisingly google didnt help and im not going into tumblr for that

Afrocious

Nah, that was a good moment, it would be a shame to retcon it

Yeah it was a good moment, no doubt, but for the sake of future Avatars? I think Korra should've tried to do something about it.

EDIT: Found an artist who liked AC3.

AFnV7B9.jpg

Toa TAK

Banned
Be quiet.

I'm...so sorry. I'm not sure how it came to this :(

The cogs started to turn slowly when I started to think of the season outside of Korrasami.

At least Unalaq was a character with a backstory, a family, and a coherent plan/goal.

Indeed. We got 39 seconds of flashback with Kuvira. Unalaq was more fleshed out than Kuvira.

Unalaq was more fleshed out than Kuvira.

Unalaq was more fleshed out than Kuvira.

HOLY SHIT

DedValve

Banned
I'm slowly starting to think Kuvira might actually be a worse villian than Unalaq.

Well Unalaq was a dunce but he had clear goals from the beginning. He wanted to fuck shit up and cause chaos.

Kuvira wanted freedom, or power, or world domination, or the death of the avatar, or more chaos, or unity....well it's safe to say that Kuvira wanted something. She got the earth kingdom together and actually forced free elections tho so thats something. Even if it was all completely by accident. Hmm...Kuvira is also a dunce.

But Kuviras prettier so Kuvira wins. And she has cooler fight scenes.

Unalaq also loses for royally screwing up the dark avatar plot. That could have been SO GODDAMN AMAZING but nope, he ruined it.

Mononoke

Banned

Lol her story was worse. Both Unalaq and Kuvira were flat/dull psychopaths who only motivation was power. Initially both had plot that seemed more than it was.

Unalaq at first believes the world is out of spiritual balance. That people have ruined the spirits. And he believes Wan made a wrong decision separating the worlds. So he has deep spiritual beliefs even if a fanatic. But then the dude wants to kill Korra and be the only Avatar. So there goes the whole balance argument.

I could believe that over time he was corrupted by Vaatu. But then it doesn't explain why Unalaq was early on willing to betray his brother and had this vast plan to use Korra later on in life and then kill her. So basically, he descends into a raging psychopath that only wants power.

Kuvira implies she really cares about the Earth Kingdom and wants to restore balance. But then she quickly descends into a psychopath that only wants power. Slave labor camps. Mass deaths. Eugenics. I always get what I want. Then at the very last minute they shoe horn in a mother issue.

Both are bad. I can't decide which enemy is worse. I still hate Unalaq's design and his bending style. And Book 2 was a much worse story in execution. Although the actual plot was better. For one it had a plot hahah.

Actually I think Book 4 technically had a worse execution than Book 2. I mean in terms of how the plot played out. Book 2 just had sloppier writing for each episode which made it less enjoyable. Book 4s plot was a disaster of epic proportions. While the finale was much better than Book 2s purely in terms of action and pacing, and was more entertaining. The plot and just where the season went was awful.

AniHawk

i really hated how bumi accidentally saved the day and presented more or less as a joke instead of bumi going all Solid Snake and taking down the base with strategy and his trusty uncle's boomerang

i don't think bumi suddenly being super awesome would have worked with the character presented until then. perhaps in his younger days he actually had done most of the things he said exactly as he'd said, but it's clear from him storming the base that he has good reactive instincts (when to fight and when to run), and that he tends to embellish his stories a little to make himself look better. it's not like he's a coward - he fights a spirit one-on-one and infiltrates a base on his own. it's not like he's a fool either - he forms a plan before that and has to think on his feet when it doesn't exactly work out.

in book 4 you see he's slimmed down a bit. so part of it could have been that years without war and fighting had made him pudgier than his younger days. in book 3, when he fights ghazan, he mostly fights dirty, using airbending to again flee, but mostly to get close to the guy so he could do some real damage.

the storming of the air temple in book 3 might be one of my favorite moments of that season. the different styles of fighting - zaheer more acrobatic, tenzin more learned and focused, and bumi undisciplined and unpredictable, were very engaging.

Magwik

Banned
Lol her story was worse. Both Unalaq and Kuvira were flat/dull psychopaths who only motivation was power. Initially both had plot that seemed more than it was.

Unalaq at first believes the world is out of spiritual balance. That people have ruined the spirits. And he believes Wan made a wrong decision separating the worlds. So he has deep spiritual beliefs even if a fanatic. But then the dude wants to kill Korra and be the only Avatar. So there goes the whole balance argument.

I could believe that over time he was corrupted by Vaatu. But then it doesn't explain why Unalaq was early on willing to betray his brother and had this vast plan to use Korra later on in life and then kill her. So basically, he descends into a raging psychopath that only wants power.

Kuvira implies she really cares about the Earth Kingdom and wants to restore balance. But then she quickly descends into a psychopath that only wants power. Slave labor camps. Mass deaths. Eugenics. I always get what I want. Then at the very last minute they shoe horn in a mother issue.

Both are bad. I can't decide which enemy is worse. I still hate Unalaq's design and his bending style.
From a pure perspective standpoint though Unalaq had motivation, goals, backstory, and held his own against Korra when she wasn't crippled. Are the some holes? For sure, but Kuvira then is a one noted piece of Swiss cheese

wildfire

Banned
People speed up the video in order to get around YouTube's content ID system which listens for patterns in video/audio.

Pretty sloppy of Google to not account for something like that.

I'm slowly starting to think Kuvira might actually be a worse villian than Unalaq.

Well she is. She's worse because she's flat and doesn't have any growth as a character where she learns from anything. In fact it can be argued she regresses with the last 2 episodes.

Mononoke

Banned
From a pure perspective standpoint though Unalaq had motivation, goals, backstory, and held his own against Korra when she wasn't crippled. Are the some holes? For sure, but Kuvira then is a one noted piece of Swiss cheese

Yeah technically speaking he's better. I still think he's a terrible character. I think he was extremely flat and his motivations were laughable. I mean once you realize he was full of shit and I guess was just born evil and just wanted power (they never showed us how he became that way). Had they actually ran with his spiritual fantacism it would have worked better. But too many of his actions contradict that and he's reduced to a psychopath that only wanted power.

But you are right, he had much more going on then Kuvira. And the actual Harmonic Convergence plot was epic. The sad thing is, I still find Book 4 and 4s finale more enjoyable simply because book 2 writing was so bad. Like the pacing and structure was a mess.

But fuck if Book 4 basically had no plot or emotion. The most dull/limp way the show could have went out. And Kuviras character and plot was a train wreck of epic proportions. So while i personally enjoyed Book 4s finale more, yeah technically Unalaq and the concept of Book 2 was way better than Book 4 and Kuvira.

wildfire

Banned
Yeah technically speaking he's better. I still think he's a terrible character. I think he was extremely flat and his motivations were laughable. I mean once you realize he was full of shit and I guess was just born evil and just wanted power (they never showed us how he became that way). Had they actually ran with his spiritual fantacism it would have worked better. But too many of his actions contradict that and he's reduced to a psychopath that only wanted power.

Let's be real here. Unalaq's set up and eventual plot twist was Amon set up and plot twist cranked up to 11. The show runners decided to be too clever and ruined the basis for a high potential villain.

The same goes for Vaatu. They really screwed up the idea of spirits and their relationship with humans after Beginnings.

DedValve

Banned
So Korrasami...

In Chariots absence allow me

korrasami_wallpaper_by_vanja1995-d56iux2.jpg

EDIT: Damn this pic makes me wish we got an episode of Korrasami on a wacky adventure of JUST those 2. Amazing that they had an entire episode together in book 3 WITH BONDAGE and yet they don't really talk a lot. That plot wrote itself. Korra was in a position where being the avatar didn't help, in the middle of nowhere and only Asamis ingenuity could have gotten them out. How could they fuck up so badly on all the potential interactions?

They finally fixed that in Book 4 but they where only together for like 1 episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom