• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toa TAK

Banned
Kuvira spin off would be nice. But my heart still holds out for a spin off focusing on Red Lotus.
Maybe we should just have a spinoff dealing with the early years of Kuvira trying to fix the Earth Kingdom and dealing with the remnants of the Red Lotus there.

Boom. Another comic in the making.

I should probably get to reading those ATLA ones, too.

Trey

I hope not considering Bryan even said that Makorra was the original endgame for the show.

This is quite evident considering that all (or the grand bulk) of season one was created under the premise that it would be a self contained story.

Love triangles don't even have to be bad. It's just that Bryke are bad at writing romance. The season one romance doesn't really make sense at all. Mako and Asami getting back together somewhat made sense in season 2, but then the Mako scumbaggery after Korra comes back with amnesia is so bad. Like really Bryke? Do you even realize how much a douche you made one of your main cast look like? The cheating thing in season one was ehhh, okay I guess he was confused, it's teenage romance, whatever. But then having him do it AGAIN? WTF ARE YOU DOING BRYKE? IS MAKO GOOD OR BAD? ARE WE SUPPOSED TO LIKE HIM?

Thankfully they stopped with the romance in book 3 and 4.

Hamlet

This is quite evident considering that all (or the grand bulk) of season one was created under the premise that it would be a self contained story.
In a perfect world Nick would have ordered all of the season at once and hopefully quite a few of these issues wouldn't have happened sigh.

Love triangles don't even have to be bad. It's just that Bryke are bad at writing romance. The season one romance doesn't really make sense at all. Mako and Asami getting back together somewhat made sense in season 2, but then the Mako scumbaggery after Korra comes back with amnesia is so bad. Like really Bryke? Do you even realize how much a douche you made one of your main cast look like? The cheating thing in season one was ehhh, okay I guess he was confused, it's teenage romance, whatever. But then having him do it AGAIN? WTF ARE YOU DOING BRYKE? IS MAKO GOOD OR BAD? ARE WE SUPPOSED TO LIKE HIM?

Thankfully they stopped with the romance in book 3 and 4.

Classic Mako
1LKLz1Y.png

Hamlet

Mako is the unsung hero of Korra

most useful member of team avatar, i will argue this to the end

I wouldn't go that far as he could have used his lightning bending a tad more though ha. Plus Asami is always giving nifty gadgets to the team.
Still he's not that bad of character nowadays compared to those early books.

Why do people keep saying this?

The only reason they had no "chemistry" (whatever the fuck that means), is because they weren't written well.

Makorra is just an awful romance. No more no less.

Korrasami was nonexistent until the last 5 minutes and a Tumbler post later but its what happened.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Korrasami was nonexistent until the last 5 minutes and a Tumbler post later but its what happened.

its not ike, you know, they could do much considering it's nickelodeon
still had more chemistry in those 5 minutes than mako and korra in 2 seasons

its not ike, you know, they could do much considering it's nickelodeon
still had more chemistry in those 5 minutes than mako and korra in 2 seasons

Whether that's true or not, is besides the point. Korrasami fans needs to stop trying to cliam it was some obviouse beautifully written romance. Beside's Superman: The Animated Series had a confirmed lesbian couple years before TLOK.

Trey

bryke didn't know what else to do. lin was already the cop.

Making Mako a cop was smart move. Gives him his own thing and is the logical step given the show's backdrop and Mako's backstory. Of course, the execution - like many good ideas in the show - was less than satisfactory. But on the whole it's one of the lesser offenses in the Legend of Korra.

Afrocious

bryke didn't know what else to do. lin was already the cop.

I know right?

I actually wanted more info on Mako's time with a gang. Like he owed someone money but got out of a life of crime before paying it back. IDK. Something. Him being a cop wasn't even expanded upon.

I really wanted to like Mako :(

Whether that's true or not, is besides the point. Korrasami fans needs to stop trying to cliam it was some obviouse beautifully written romance. Beside's Superman: The Animated Series had a confirmed lesbian couple years before TLOK.

NYsZJ76.gif

My eyes literally rolled out of my head and now I'm having to look for them.

Hamlet

I meant across seasons. Season 1, 2, 3 ,4. Solid performances in all of them.

Didn't Asami get relegated to staying with Bumi in season 2?

Ah I see and Korra told Asami to go bring Tonraq back to Katara and Pema to heal him. Bumi,Kya and tenzin go looking for Jinora in the spirit world and meet that talking mushroom. Plus I doubt Asami would have been able to help much in the subsequent Spirit fights that happen in the next two episodes.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

i dont see what this has to do with makorra being shit

Making Mako a cop was smart move. Gives him his own thing and is the logical step given the show's backdrop and Mako's backstory. Of course, the execution - like many good ideas in the show - was less than satisfactory. But on the whole it's one of the lesser offenses in the Legend of Korra.

Greatest offence was all of the unrealized potential this show had. It by all rights should have been one of the greatest western animated show in history along side The Last Air Bender. A large reason for that rest with the short initial run Nick green-lit for it. But most the the blame fall squarely on the terrible pacing the nonexistent character development.

Unfortunately its over now and The Legend of Korra won't be remembered for its fantastic animation, music and great character design. It'll just be remembered for a hamfisted, last minute ass-pull of a romance between Korra and Asami that had to be later confirmed on Tumbler.

I know right?

I actually wanted more info on Mako's time with a gang. Like he owed someone money but got out of a life of crime before paying it back. IDK. Something. Him being a cop wasn't even expanded upon.

I really wanted to like Mako :(

NYsZJ76.gif

My eyes literally rolled out of my head and now I'm having to look for them.

These two. Maggie Sawyer was awesome.
2D7ffaH.jpg

Afrocious

Ok so if they do make another series, they should let have him/her married from the start so this shipping crap doesn't happen.

Unfortunately, it's a fact of life nobody likes married people together.

If I wanted to watch a fantasy about people living in the middle of their lives, I'd watch ABC.

These two. Maggie Sawyer was awesome.
2D7ffaH.jpg

I'm not going to post anything lengthy because I'm sick and tired, but I'll tell you to sincerely think about what you're posting. I've noticed your posts throughout this thread and you seem to have a chip on your shoulder about these two fictional characters being confirmed as a couple in their own stories. Almost obsessive even.

For that pic you just posted, I don't think anyone knows or cares who they are considering LoK literally ends with two women of color as leads of their own show in a relationship.

If you had posted anything about Xena: Warrior Princess, I would've let you slide but that Superman TAS shit is such evidence of scraping at the bottom of the barrel to try to make a point in a discussion (talking about Makorra) that has no place in it kind of makes you look kinda crazy.

Kinvara

googleplex's hate boner for Korrasami is super annoying at this point.

Why do people keep saying this?

The only reason they had no "chemistry" (whatever the fuck that means), is because they weren't written well.

Makorra is just an awful romance. No more no less.

no chemistry = awful romance

They're pretty much interchangeable.

Makorra is your typical teenage romance built on raging hormones rather than emotional compatibility.

no chemistry = awful romance

They're pretty much interchangeable.

Makorra is your typical teenage romance built on raging hormones rather than emotional compatibility.

Meanwhile Mako and Asami actually made some sense not only in terms of personality but also a plot device (with Hiroshi's hate for benders. Ironically Asami ended up with THE bender).

I don't hate Korrasami. I hate the execution of it or lack there of. I've been pretty consistent on that point since the finale aired. I have to feel anything for it to hate it. Outside of fan works, Korrasami just falls flat.

Jacob

I don't hate Korrasami. I hate the execution of it or lack there of. I've been pretty consistent on that point since the finale aired. I have to feel anything for it to hate it. Outside of fan works, Korrasami just falls flat.

I get what you're saying, though I think this is even more true of Kuvira. It sometimes feels like this thread is more about the fan art and comics that people like rather than the show itself, which tended to squander its potential at most turns.

Afrocious

Meanwhile Mako and Asami actually made some sense not only in terms of personality but also a plot device (with Hiroshi's hate for benders. Ironically Asami ended up with THE bender).

You just reminded me of this terrific post someone made earlier in this thread. I wasn't able to comment on it because I had to drive out of town and then forgot all about it.

I can try and dig for the post, but someone wrote an article that reviews the final episode and the show as a whole, and I gotta say: in retrospect, Korra did do a lot for marginalized folks in her universe. Due to this, it's almost fitting (and I dare say, poetic) for the show to end with a bisexual couple between two main women.

After all, we’ve just watched four seasons about groups who’ve been denied their voices and representation. We’ve seen in varied detail the frustration and hurt that such an environment creates, and we’ve come to understand (along with Korra) that we can and should support these marginalized groups, responding not with violence but with compassion and understanding to help create a more balanced world.

And so, after all of that, Bryke & Co. present us with a happy couple who would be marginalized in our own world… and promptly close the curtain. It’s a lovely, clever way of passing the torch out of the Avatarverse and into our own (the fact that Korra and Asami vanish into another world themselves is indicative of that in a delightfully meta way), and asking us what we’ll do with it. Have we learned along with Korra, or are we still the privileged, short-sighted kid who came riding into town on the polar bear dog, all those episodes ago?

http://www.themarysue.com/korra-relationships-with-women/

Jacob

It's kinda hilarious that that article mentions the anti-bending revolution as part of its discussion about TLOK exploring the difficulties faced by marginalized groups, considering the show brushed the whole thing aside as "lol nonbenders got fooled by Amon, what a bunch of chumps".

Afrocious

I'm actually extremely fucking disgusted at the audacity of that Superman: TAS post.

Literally grossed out.

I cannot look at that and that rationalization.

Trey

I think Mike and Bryan got too cute with the fourth wall breaking.

They had lines that straight up only exist to talk to the viewer and fanbase. Jin as a character is 100 percent meta.

Kinvara

It sometimes feels like this thread is more about the fan art and comics that people like rather than the show itself, which tended to squander its potential at most turns.

After two Official threads, there really isn't much left to say.

We're just waiting for the official community thread at this point.

Both Mako and Korra were equally guilty of that.

At least Korra has the excuse of being raised in complete isolation. She literally had no friends until she moved to Republic City.

It's kinda hilarious that that article mentions the anti-bending revolution as part of its discussion about TLOK exploring the difficulties faced by marginalized groups, considering the show brushed the whole thing aside as "lol nonbenders got fooled by Amon, what a bunch of chumps".

Eh... the Anit-bending thing never made sense to me given the world we've been shown from TLAB and TLOK. We've never seen benders oppressing non-benders and bending has always been shown to be a integral part of the world they live in. The Benders of the world of Avatar aren't like the Mutants of the Marvel universe. It was obvious that Amon was a con artist for the get go. But we have real life examples of large groups of people being fooled and moved into action against a scapegoated minority group throughout history.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I think Mike and Bryan got too cute with the fourth wall breaking.

They had lines that straight up only exist to talk to the viewer and fanbase. Jin as a character is 100 percent meta.

...the fuck's a jin

GamerSoul

I just recently started to watch this again. I made it to Book 4, the episode where Korra lost the 1 on 1 fight to the Earth Empire, kinda hawt in a weird power hungry kinda way, chick. I'm liking it so far but damn Korra has been through some things. I mean shit. >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom