• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omikaru

So I've decided to watch K-On as my new show. A change of mood, sure, but two episodes in and I love how laid back and silly it all is. Good for a giggle, methinks.

The more I think about the pairing the more salty I get. I feel like it came out of nowhere.

Considering how the series handled all the other blossoming relationships, Varrick and Zhu Li aside, I think it was fine. In that context.

Really, Korrasami points to a larger problem with The Legend of Korra, not just in romance, but in character relationships in general. They had a lot of plot which they had to cram in, and this came at the expense of letting the characters get to know each other. Each season needed another 3-4 episodes to just give it some breathing room. They could spread the happenings out a bit thinner and inject some character moments in there.

I feel that Korrasami itself is fine within the context of this show, and it's signposted in ways that any other romance wouldn't have been.

Of course that's just a base observation, since there are other things The Legend of Korra itself suffers from, like having too many characters and arcs not planned out so well across the seasons (i.e. they kinda winged 'em).

I will get to writing about this in more detail, but for now I need sleep (work is tiring).

Haha! I saw the original movie but not the actual tv series. I did watch Angel for a time though.

I was referring to the series, so the question is irrelevant. There's a...similar relationship that people love to ship and I will never understand why. Those things are never healthy. Ever. At best, you're getting used to it, not actually enjoying it.

Sounds like your comparing this to season 6 Buffy and Spike. Those two brought a house down.

As much as I enjoyed that little...arc, I will never understand the shipping logic that is required for that. I mean, she didn't love him and he KNEW that. That shit was abusive beyond all belief.

I just don't get it.

As much as I enjoyed that little...arc, I will never understand the shipping logic that is required for that. I mean, she didn't love him and he KNEW that. That shit was abusive beyond all belief.

I just don't get it.
Yet I do believe Spike thinks he had something with her. I believe both relationships were brought up in a fifth season episode of Angel. Buffy moved on from both of them.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I was referring to the series, so the question is irrelevant. There's a...similar relationship that people love to ship and I will never understand why. Those things are never healthy. Ever. At best, you're getting used to it, not actually enjoying it.

Ahhh gotcha.

Yet I do believe Spike thinks he had something with her. I believe both relationships were brought up in a fifth season episode of Angel. Buffy moved on from both of them.

You're referring to The Girl in Question. Spike was in love with her, but he knew whatever that thing was, that it wasn't genuine. He was obsessed and frustrated to the point that he tried to rape her. She eventually came around to loving him, but it wasn't what he wanted. They both knew that. The Girl in Question was an incredibly strange episode where they played the rivalry for laughs, even though it's kind of dumb, considering their final conversations with Buffy at that point. I enjoy and dislike that episode. On one hand, it's a big pace breaker in terms of plot and character arcs, but then again that's par for the course with both BtVS and Angel (pre-finale episodes destroying the momentum). On the other, the arc with Illyria and Fred's parents is really good, and the episode is definitely one of the funniest episodes between both series.

You're referring to The Girl in Question. Spike was in love with her, but he knew whatever that thing was, that it wasn't genuine. He was obsessed and frustrated to the point that he tried to rape her. She eventually came around to loving him, but it wasn't what he wanted. They both knew that. The Girl in Question was an incredibly strange episode where they played the rivalry for laughs, even though it's kind of dumb, considering their final conversations with Buffy at that point. I enjoy and dislike that episode. On one hand, it's a big pace breaker in terms of plot and character arcs, but then again that's par for the course with both BtVS and Angel (pre-finale episodes destroying the momentum). On the other, the arc with Illyria and Fred's parents is really good, and the episode is definitely one of the funniest episodes between both series.
Seeing just how well Illyria can mimic Fred is a bit heart breaking though. I never believed the relationship Spike had with Buffy even came close to how Angel and her felt. Two different types of circumstances and levels of respect between the two of them. I kind of have the belief that in their heyday Buffy would die for Angel, I never got that sense between her and Spike and I do believe that there's a element of disgust in that relationship. I think she only really dealt with Spike because she was at a point of self loathing from being resurrected.

Daemul

I remember watching Buffy but I can't remember a single thing about it, I was still in primary school when it aired. God damn, that was a hell of a long time ago.

He cheated on her...like twice. Just the fact that they didn't set his house on fire is surprising. Only to set up Korrasami instead is just a massive kick in the crotch, granted one he needed, but he still kept sticking his neck out for them. To be honest, yeah he probably should've just left them alone in season 3 and they contrive a reason for him to go with them. Though the first ep of Season 4 it seemed like he cleared the air with Asami pretty well, but when Korra shows up again it does seem like he harbored something still for her. Mako really should've just moved on from Korra because he was only going to keep getting hurt by dealing with her. He should just waste a pay check on some Republic City hookers and just move on.

The thing about Mako and Korra not working was basically both of them were jerks in the beginning of the story. They were both hot headed and too self absorbed to have worked together. It felt like they got together based on pure physical attraction. They are both beautiful powerful benders but nothing else besides worked with them. Ironically, Makorra is proof positive why Zutara was such a terrible pairing.

But I also feel that Both Korra and Mako were very different people at the end of the story, and had they met then Makorra could have actually worked out.

The thing about Mako and Korra not working was basically both of then were kinda jerks in the beginning of the story. They were both hot headed and too self absorbed to have worked together. It felt like they got together based on pure physical attraction. They are both beautiful powerful benders but nothing else besides worked with them. Ironically, Makorra is proof positive why Zutara was such a terrible pairing.

But I also feel that Both Korra and Mako were very different people at the end of the story, and had they met then Makorra could have actually worked out.
Yeah they were both shallow people that were essentially DTF in the beginning, but I still don't even think it would've worked out. Even whatever chemistry they had barely worked when they meet again in Reunion. All he essentially did was annoy her. Some people just don't work together no matter how much you want it to. I would like to think both characters realized that.

Daemul

The thing about Mako and Korra not working was basically both of then were kinda jerks in the beginning of the story. They were both hot headed and too self absorbed to have worked together. It felt like they got together based on pure physical attraction. They are both beautiful powerful benders but nothing else besides worked with them. Ironically, Makorra is proof positive why Zutara was such a terrible pairing.

It did feel as if Makorra was an attempted apology from Bryke to Zutara fans that their favourite ship didn't sail in ATLA, but the whole thing was a complete clusterfuck. Mako's and Korra's relationship was poisonous, they had no business being together.

Maybe it could have worked now, 4 years later, but the bridge was long burnt and Korra had found Asami, with Mako being used as bait in order to set up their relationship.

What a terrible(and karmic) end to Mako's story.

Afrocious

That feel when Korra passes Mako in push ups.

vJDvQC6.png

Seeing just how well Illyria can mimic Fred is a bit heart breaking though. I never believed the relationship Spike had with Buffy even came close to how Angel and her felt. Two different types of circumstances and levels of respect between the two of them. I kind of have the belief that in their heyday Buffy would die for Angel, I never got that sense between her and Spike and I do believe that there's a element of disgust in that relationship. I think she only really dealt with Spike because she was at a point of self loathing from being resurrected.

Yeah, everything about Illyria is heartbreaking as shit.

Well, their arc continues in Season 7, but she primarily is using him for comfort in a rough time, and he knows that. So even though she went through the revelation of "Oh my god I'm using Spike" she does it anyway. And he allows it because it gives him a bit of purpose and helps him deal with the pain of his soul. The relationship is still empty as shit though.

Yeah, and also cooks for him.

That was an odd point made significant in the book. That he couldn't cook.
Bruce can't cook or Bateman? Because Bateman seemed pretty cultured so him not being able to cook seems weird.
Yeah, everything about Illyria is heartbreaking as shit.

Well, their arc continues in Season 7, but she primarily is using him for comfort in a rough time, and he knows that. So even though she went through the revelation of "Oh my god I'm using Spike" she does it anyway. And he allows it because it gives him a bit of purpose and helps him deal with the pain of his soul. The relationship is still empty as shit though.
As sad as it was I enjoyed Illyria's character. Acker brought a lot to that role to make her enjoyable. I think Spike never really got passed, well he did, but I'm pretty sure he still thinks about it, his relationship with Dru and then getting defanged essentially in season 4 and getting his soul later on that dude was just confused and had a lot of guilt regarding his existence. The relationship with Buffy was simply just a convenient outlet and probably a way to stick to Angel a bit.

Afrocious

Bruce can't cook or Bateman? Because Bateman seemed pretty cultured so him not being able to cook seems weird.

Bateman can't cook at all. In the book he
attempts to make sausage out of this consort he picks up after doing all sorts of inhumane shit to her. Then at the end he realizes he doesn't know what to do since he's never had to cook anything in his life.

attempts to make sausage out of this consort he picks up after doing all sorts of inhumane shit to her. Then at the end he realizes he doesn't know what to do since he's never had to cook anything in his life.
Bateman you rich cultured douche take some cooking lessons, not like he can't afford them.

Lethe82

Banned

Doesn't he also have no fucking clue what he's talking about when it comes to music?Like he buys all the music just to have it but has zero actual ability to understand and contextualize the discography?

Afrocious

Doesn't he also have no fucking clue what he's talking about when it comes to music?Like he buys all the music just to have it but has zero actual ability to understand and contextualize the discography?

I thought he did. There were whole chapters dedicated to him analyzing artists like Tina Turner.

Granted, I have no idea if he hit the mark on them. I just looked at the chapters as him calming down after doing some insane shit. The chapters always came after him committing an atrocity.

SArcher

Banned
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I've been wondering if Zaheer would have let Korra join the Red Lotus if she decided to? Or was he completely committed to killing her?

Astral Dog

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I've been wondering if Zaheer would have let Korra join the Red Lotus if she decided to? Or was he completely committed to killing her?

Unalaq wanted to kidnap Korra when she was young, then the Red Lotus was captured and they changed their plans to kill her, Zaheer tries to "convince" her but at that point they were determined to use the poison..

He was trying to recruit her at a very early age. If she just joined willingly I highly doubt he would mind too much.

SArcher

Banned
Unalaq wanted to kidnap Korra when she was young, then the Red Lotus was captured and they changed their plans to kill her, Zaheer tries to "convince" her but at that point they were determined to use the poison..

Mmm, this is what i was getting at. I guess we'll never know what would have happened if he actually did manage to convince Korra.

Also what I was thinking. In a way the Avatar represents order which is exactly what Zaheer is fighting against.
Not really, Red Lotus was fighting against world leaders, Korra never wanted to rule the world(neither most did Avatars), she was just in the way.

Afrocious

How would you folks feel if we got a direct-to-TV movie for Korra, serving as an epilogue with its own self-contained plot taking place some time after Book 4? Maybe some weeks, months, or a year?

I'm thinking something similar to FMA's Conqueror of Shamballa sans the giant 'fuck you' of an ending. The Korra equivalent of that would be Asami dying and Korra flying away (no more tethers) into the sunset into the spirit world never to return.

Astral Dog

How would you folks feel if we got a direct-to-TV movie for Korra, serving as an epilogue with its own self-contained plot taking place some time after Book 4? Maybe some weeks, months, or a year?

I'm thinking something similar to FMA's Conqueror of Shamballa sans the giant 'fuck you' of an ending. The Korra equivalent of that would be Asami dying and Korra flying away (no more tethers) into the sunset into the spirit world never to return.

I would prefer if they dont kill Asami.
Other than that, sure, why not? it could give the epilogue book 4 needed.

A movie would be nice, but it doesn't matter, because it won't happen.

As sad as it was I enjoyed Illyria's character. Acker brought a lot to that role to make her enjoyable. I think Spike never really got passed, well he did, but I'm pretty sure he still thinks about it, his relationship with Dru and then getting defanged essentially in season 4 and getting his soul later on that dude was just confused and had a lot of guilt regarding his existence. The relationship with Buffy was simply just a convenient outlet and probably a way to stick to Angel a bit.

Fucking with Angel was the dude's primary motive at points. Kind of infuriating, since Angel was just trying to get shit done most, if not all, of the time.

Afrocious said:

Sure, why not? Thing is though, when it comes to animation, doing an ending AFTER the fact doesn't always turn out super well. As you pointed out Conqueror of Shamballa did fuck all and in fact made that ending worse. Kill la Kill's OVA wasn't bad, really, but it wasn't really worth it either. I liked the closure it gave, but that little closure wasn't worth the whole 30 minutes that it took up.

We really don't need it, and if we do get it, I'd prefer it to be just a single, 22 minute episode. That's all we need. Just a 14th episode would be fine. Any longer, and you're getting into unnecessary, which it would already be.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

You had me until the kill Asami part. Hell no! I would love a movie focused on Korrasami and their spirit vacation though.

Hamlet

Yeah I wouldn't mind a TV movie for Korra even if it's pretty unlikely. Just not the killing off Asami part. She's already suffered enough.
Some chibi shorts for the Book 4 blu-ray would be nice also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom