• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrocious

If we get a canon comic with Korra and Asami booed up for even one scene, the whole comic could be the worst piece of written drivel ever and I'd be fine with that.

I might have to watch ATLA again, but I felt the censorship in both shows were wonky. While ATLA only had less than a handful of scenes that censorship came about, I felt the show was better written to not approach the subject with how ambiguous it was with what obviously happened to Jet, though I'm not sure how he died considering he was just hit hard in the chest with a rock I think.

In LoK, characters said 'take out' way too much for my liking in Book 3 and 4. I thought it was funny. LoK wouldn't ever say someone killed someone, but it definitely would allow characters to state if someone died.

Korra always felt hamstrung by being on a children's network. There is a lot of missed potential that is directly the fault of Nick, but for what it was I love the show.

Imagine what could have been done if it was on Cartoon Network. They seem to have a higher tolerance for violence and adult situations, see Young Justice, I don't know if "kill" is banned though. Or if it was a Netflix exclusive, or somewhere else that wouldn't shy away from "kill" or homosexual relationships.

Plus not knowing if they would get another season and being limited to 13-4 episodes a season really hampered the show.

Korra always felt hamstrung by being on a children's network. There is a lot of missed potential that is directly the fault of Nick, but for what it was I love the show.

Imagine what could have been done if it was on Cartoon Network. They seem to have a higher tolerance for violence and adult situations, see Young Justice, I don't know if "kill" is banned though. Or if it was a Netflix exclusive, or somewhere else that wouldn't shy away from "kill" or homosexual relationships.

Plus not knowing if they would get another season and being limited to 13-4 episodes a season really hampered the show.

Yeah but CN won't accept it if it doesn't sell enough toys. Or if it's action. They don't like action. There's a reason why the action-heavy cartoons get canceled and the comedic ones go FOREVER.

If we get a canon comic with Korra and Asami booed up for even one scene, the whole comic could be the worst piece of written drivel ever and I'd be fine with that.
I hope no one at Nick is reading this, because we don't need them thinking they can get away with pumping out more crap as long as they keep this train going.

Afrocious

Young Justice was so fucking awesome. It's a shame that show got shafted by CN as well. But yeah, YJ straight up had murder in it as well as that one scene where Miss Martian and Superboy made out while in those costumes that made folks think they were brother and sister.

But yeah, Nick deserves little to no credit to any of the success LoK had considering how they seriously tried their hardest to ruin what miraculously managed to be a decent show in the end. I used to think this show was garbage, and finally understanding what Bryke had to work with, it's no wonder why.

I hope no one at Nick is reading this, because we don't need them thinking they can get away with pumping out more crap as long as they keep this train going.

Don't worry. I know I'm cancer. I do agree with you though on that.

Kinvara

Young Justice was so fucking awesome. It's a shame that show got shafted by CN as well. But yeah, YJ straight up had murder in it as well as that one scene where Miss Martian and Superboy made out while in those costumes that made folks think they were brother and sister.

But yeah, Nick deserves little to no credit to any of the success LoK had considering how they seriously tried their hardest to ruin what miraculously managed to be a decent show in the end. I used to think this show was garbage, and finally understanding what Bryke had to work with, it's no wonder why.

Yeah, I'm not saying I would shift the blame entirely onto Nick.

But Nick's involvement definitely made things a whole lot harder. Writing is stressful enough as it is without a third party breathing down your neck.

Remember when Miss Martian used to pretend to be Black Canary and "train" Connor? Because that's what got him hard.

You know, for kids.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
"Talked her down" they talked alright but it was such horrible cliched crap that the de-escalation was almost unearned.

Plus if Korra could energy bend in the first place she could have avoided the destruction of the whole city and the stupid robot fight, but of course to dramatize the matter Korra could only do it after diving in front of Kuvira to save her from being killed by her own arrogance.

I dont think she thought she would live to be far, I think she did it almost on impulse and lucked out

Did they ever actually say "I'm going to kill you/They're going to kill us" etc on Young Justice? I can't remember.

Another show ended before its time.

Yes, they did. Quite a lot actually.

Well there we go, and it was a Saturday morning cartoon too wasn't it?

Nick took Korra off of the Saturday morning slot (where it was outdoing Spongebob I believe) because of Tarrlok and Amon's murder/suicide, from what I understand.

Daemul

And then he had another chance and fucked it up too, with the same woman, because he didn't bother to tell him that they've broken up.

And then he drove that woman to lesbianism with the women he cheated on.

Mako is a true human being.

The dude's in a league of his own. He had the mythical "second chance" with the most perfect girl in the world and fucked it up. Dafuq?

Ah well, at least the lovely Asami bagged the heroine in the end.

Yeah when I first saw it I wasn't expecting anything that powerful at all to come from the show. The scene alone is better than the past 3 seasons of Korra.

PREACH

Man, Young Justice too good.

Why does DC do so well with their cartoons? I can't think of a single bad one (from Batman TAS and onwards). Even The Batman was decent. Was Superman and The Legion of Superheroes good? I think it only got 13 episodes.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So I didnt know nick had cut the budget on S4 and thats why we ended up with that (ultimately funny) clip show at episode 8, what the hell?

Why does DC do so well with their cartoons? I can't think of a single bad one (from Batman TAS and onwards).

Bewarethebatman-promotional.jpg

Magwik

Banned
PREACH

Man, Young Justice too good.

Why does DC do so well with their cartoons? I can't think of a single bad one (from Batman TAS and onwards). Even The Batman was decent. Was Superman and The Legion of Superheroes good? I think it only got 13 episodes.

Aside from Young Justice you can thank Bruce Timm and Paul Dini

Hamlet

Wait, so it turns out that some short minutes were actually cut out of the finale?
This is where that information about the extra 6 minutes originally came from.

It was stated that there were supposed to be an extra 6 minutes in an interview with Bryan and Mike. Must have gotten cut, though. I don't have a link, though.

Can you post a link to this interview as from what I can tell neither Mike or Bryan have done an interview for a while now.

Prove they could fool people to retroactively thinking Korrasami was a beautifully written, fleshed-out romance? Or convince people that that was a great ending?
Look, when I initially saw all those moments between Korra and Asami Book 3 and 4, I didn't think much of it. Like many, I thought they were just close friends. But after that final scene, it caused me to think about their past interactions. On the surface, it seemed like they were just being friendly to one another, but now...it's like it was right in front of me the entire time, and it only took the finale for me to pick up on the subtext.

Do I think it was beautifully written or fleshed-out? No. But you know what? I don't really have a problem with that. Why? Well, disregarding the fact that there's no way Nickelodeon would let them expand on that relationship in the show, I appreciate the fact that it's there while not interfering with the story. It is not front and center for everyone to see, it is downplayed for the sake of focusing on the plot. We don't really need an episode or two of them dating or whatever padding out the show when there are so many other, more important plot threads they can, and could have, covered. It's there, it's downplayed, and I'm fine with that.

Do I think it was a great ending? Hell yeah I do. Between this show and A:TLA, that final scene got the biggest reaction out of me. Never in a million years did I think they would have the balls to go there. I never took the Korrasami ship seriously until that moment. And I really do hope it helps pave the way for more LGBT representation and acceptance in children's shows. And for me, yeah, this completely overshadows all that was wrong with the show. I recognize that the flaws still exist mind you, but I'd rather accentuate the positive than allow all the flaws to overshadow all the good stuff.

Look, when I initially saw all those moments between Korra and Asami Book 3 and 4, I didn't think much of it. Like many, I thought they were just close friends. But after that final scene, it caused me to think about their past interactions. On the surface, it seemed like they were just being friendly to one another, but now...it's like it was right in front of me the entire time, and it only took the finale for me to pick up on the subtext.

Do I think it was beautifully written or fleshed-out? No. But you know what? I don't really have a problem with that. Why? Well, disregarding the fact that there's no way Nickelodeon would let them expand on that relationship in the show, I appreciate the fact that it's there while not interfering with the story. It is not front and center for everyone to see, it is downplayed for the sake of focusing on the plot. We don't really need an episode or two of them dating or whatever padding out the show when there are so many other, more important plot threads they can, and could have, covered. It's there, it's downplayed, and I'm fine with that.

Do I think it was a great ending? Hell yeah I do. Between this show and A:TLA, that final scene got the biggest reaction out of me. Never in a million years did I think they would have the balls to go there. I never took the Korrasami ship seriously until that moment. And I really do hope it helps pave the way for more LGBT representation and acceptance in children's shows. And for me, yeah, this completely overshadows all that was wrong with the show. I recognize that the flaws still exist mind you, but I'd rather accentuate the positive than allow all the flaws to overshadow all the good stuff.
I was saying it was coming since the end of Book 2, not because I shipped it, but because I knew. I don't have to go back and look at those moments because I already saw them that way. It wasn't built to well at all, and if it wasn't LGBT then people all over would be talking about how unsatisfying it was in the end.

You shouldn't ignore how poor something is done just because it supports message you like.

Hamlet

It's interesting how now almost four days later neither Mike or Bryan have done an interview yet about the show finishing. Compared back to Book 3 where they did a media blitz once that finale had ended.
Would have expected at least one interview now about it finishing. Wonder if Nick is preventing them from talking about it or something?

Welp then I'm full of shit, I guess because I got nothing.

No worries
tumblr_msyrenL8d41ss14mho3_500.gif

Chariot

Well there we go, and it was a Saturday morning cartoon too wasn't it?

Nick took Korra off of the Saturday morning slot (where it was outdoing Spongebob I believe) because of Tarrlok and Amon's murder/suicide, from what I understand.
I am not an american, so I don't really know. But wikipedia indicates that season 1 ran fridays while season 2 went to saturdays. When exactly I can not tell.

Yeah when I first saw it I wasn't expecting anything that powerful at all to come from the show. The scene alone is better than the past 3 seasons of Korra.
Ayup. So bitter.

I was saying it was coming since the end of Book 2, not because I shipped it, but because I knew. I don't have to go back and look at those moments because I already saw them that way. It wasn't built to well at all, and if it wasn't LGBT then people all over would be talking about how unsatisfying it was in the end.
I'd say it was done decently enough if you saw it that way from the get-go and it wounded up that way. But in this case what you take as not being built well, I take more as being subtle.

And I agree, if it had been Mako or Bolin or something, I would find that to be a really dull note to end on. It would have been more predictable, which is all the more reason why I appreciate that it ended with her and Asami instead. Not a curveball to some, but it completely caught me off guard.

Hamlet

I am not an american, so I don't really know. But wikipedia indicates that season 1 ran fridays while season 2 went to saturdays. When exactly I can not tell.

Ayup. So bitter.

Book 1 of Korra was on Saturday mornings and then for Book 2 Nick moved it to Friday nights. But they kept changing the time that it aired throughout the season, which didn't help it on the ratings front.

Bryke talk about ratings and such in this interview around the 1hour 18minute mark.
According to them Nick always move shows around after the first season.

Daemul

Mako got screwed so bad though. His ex's have eloped, his lil bro has a girl, and he's stuck babysitting Wu. lol

I'd say it was done decently enough if you saw it that way from the get-go and it wounded up that way. But in this case what you take as not being built well, I take more as being subtle.

And I agree, if it had been Mako or Bolin or something, I would find that to be a really dull note to end on. It would have been more predictable, which is all the more reason why I appreciate that it ended with her and Asami instead. Not a curveball to some, but it completely caught me off guard.
It's both, what they present is subtle but there's still not enough to make the relationship feel deserved. Subtlety isn't an excuse to leave things out.

And really, saying it would be worse if it was the same but with Mako or Bolin doesn't count for much except admitting the double standard

Neo Dark

Couldn't they have faked it better.. by you know... spelling Asami's name right? -_-

Korra and Aang really are opposites. Aang starts by running away from the world and being involved with the world. Korra starts by wanting to be involved in the world and now wants to run away with Asami to never be seen again and the world can deal with it

I wonder if the vacation bit was also a reference to the real world in how the series is going to take a break for a while. Maybe hinting that the series will continue with Korra one day.

Depending on you point of view, the ending in itself could be seen as a bang.

at this point i no longer have the patience for subtlety.

I stuck around the entire muddy series and i think i was owed a definitive understanding of things.

a lot of questions left unanswered. I would assume they probably left material for books and stuff, but i don't like to mix my mediums for story points.

i'm done. closing this chapter in my entertainment life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom