• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrocious

At this point, it would be like rescuing Star Wars from George Lucas.

It would probably only help.

Hey pal, now I get what you're saying, but I don't think LoK is even in the same ballpark as the SW prequels as far as badness goes.

If LoK was anything like the SW prequels, this whole thread would be far more negative.

Afrocious

Who's Greg Weisman?

Also, thinking about Star Wars made me think about how the internet collectively sighed at seeing that crossguard lol.

Toa TAK

Banned
Who's Greg Weisman?

Also, thinking about Star Wars made me think about how the internet collectively sighed at seeing that crossguard lol.

The man behind Gargoyles, The Spectacular Spider-Man, and Young Justice to name a few.

He's, like, a god at children's animation.

If they had him the show wouldn't have gone past the awful season 2.
But they would at the very least be 2 very good seasons.
Holy shit, he's the guy behind both Gargoyles and Young Justice?

Dude needs to get his own web series pronto.
Yeah he really should get off the networks, but knowing his luck the internet would burn down shortly after. I'm convinced they kicked him off Star Wars Rebels so the show could actually stay on the air.

Hey pal, now I get what you're saying, but I don't think LoK is even in the same ballpark as the SW prequels as far as badness goes.

If LoK was anything like the SW prequels, this whole thread would be far more negative.
It's comparable in that LoK is a lot of flash but not a lot of substance

Afrocious

Letting Bolin's VA make up his own lines was an awful decision. This managed to make Bolin a worse character when he didn't need to be.

Letting Bolin's VA make up his own lines was an awful decision. This managed to make Bolin a worse character when he didn't need to be.
It really was. You can take notes or feedback from the actor to fine tune something that might not work, but you don't use him as a crutch to just adlib something. That explains why Bolin didn't work half the time. Focus the character and have more control over the scripting.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Korra is nowhere near SW prequels levels, it's actually watchable for the most part.

Not a lot of substance is more than no substance.

Also the four plots in Korra make more sense than what we have going on in Eps 1 and 2. Especially 1.
I'm not saying theyre qualitatively the same as the prequels. As in they're not just as bad. I'm saying that there is a drop in quality with the writing compared to the original while there's an increase in presentation. Hence more flash, less substance. Also being better than the prequels isn't really a huge feat, is it?

The comparison just exists as far as "this piece of media being made years after the original isn't remotely as good as the original and the creator(s) seem to be kind of up their own ass(es)".

Daemul

I saw a topic on /co/ where people were comparing Bryke to Lucas because of the whole Korrasami thing, but I think it was just the saltiness talking.

LoK is in no way shape or form as bad as SW Episode 1

I saw a topic on /co/ where people were comparing Bryke to Lucas because of the whole Korrasami thing, but I think it was just the saltiness talking.

Nobody wants Bolin dead like they want Jar Jar dead, and they still fucking dragged Jar Jar out for the subsequent Clone Wars show knowing good and god damn well that he added fucking nothing to the show and that the fans hated him.

lol. Really? Korrasami broke the camel's back? Not the reasons why it lacked weight except that it happened, e.g. the whole bloody finale+lead up. Horrid villain motivations, mangled pacing, and etc. Put some pepper with that salt, but I guess that is considered George Lucasing in their eyes as well.

Afrocious

Yes, there is a drop in the quality of the whole show in LOK compared to TLA, but you can still see where the writers tried. They stumbled more often, but they have noble effort.

The SW prequels were an insult to anyone watching them, even as stand alone movies. With these movies, it's not so much a simple drop in quality as it is lazy and irrational writing for the sake of selling toys.

Yes, there is a drop in the quality of the whole show in LOK compared to TLA, but you can still see where the writers tried. They stumbled more often, but they have noble effort.

The SW prequels were an insult to anyone watching them, even as stand alone movies. With these movies, it's not so much a simple drop in quality as it is lazy and irrational writing for the sake of selling toys.
Only thing saving prequels is some of the fight choreography.

360pages

I compare Legend of Korra and ATLA to Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z.

Both Korra and Dragon Ball Z have some great moments, but they both have a tendency to have some really weird writing choices. That hamper the experience, though I do think Z remains and I would put it above Korra.

(Legit though, when Vegeta finally admitted Goku was better than him was easily the most powerful moments in the series, along when Goku first turning SS)

Only thing saving prequels is some of the fight choreography.
Not even. None of the fights had any gravity to them. Part of it is being prequels we know how the fights must play out, but part of it is also how stilted and dumb they were.

The only good fight is the Yoda/Palpatine fight. Everything else was either flat out boring or had a stupid and groan-worthy end (Vader/Obi-Wan).

Not even. None of the fights had any gravity to them. Part of it is being prequels we know how the fights must play out, but part of it is also how stilted and dumb they were.

The only good fight is the Yoda/Palpatine fight. Everything else was either flat out boring or had a stupid and groan-worthy end (Vader/Obi-Wan).
I'm not denying that. I at least found the Maul, Qui Gon, Obi Wan one fun to watch along with Dooku, Anakin Obi Wan and Dooku vs Yoda fun to watch. They're hard to defend and I'm not even going to try. I'm not really one to fight a losing war.

Daemul

Makorra was better than Anakin and Padme.

But that's obvious.

And sad.

superman-dad-death-reaction-Kevin-Costner-1387241798Q.gif

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves now. :p

Jaded, I got to the part where your avatar now makes sense. That shit was crazy.
I keep telling people Kill La Kill isn't that bad. Satsuki was awesome, far more grounded than Ryuko. Glad you're enjoying it.
Makorra was better than Anakin and Padme.

But that's obvious.

And sad.
Anakin fell for an older woman that he's has known since he was ten. Korra fell for a hot head that she has known for like 4 months or whatever. Granted both were executed poorly with Anakin's constant simpering. Dude simped hardcore.

Toa TAK

Banned
Older woman are great, though, so I'm with (a non simping) Anakin on this one.

Also, Bryke emotionally scarred by taller women confirmed.

RedShift

Anyone who seriously compares Korra to the Prequels should be forced to watch Episodes I-III. They've obviously forgotten just how beautifully awful they are.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
At least Korra doesn't retroactively put plotholes into TLA, unlike the prequels.

Afrocious

Nah. Remember that the 3D Clone Wars is also part of the prequels, and the romance between Anakin and Padme was done much better there than in the movies( as well as a lot of stuff tbh).

Only talking about the movies, where Padme says she can't love because she's a senator and Anakin tells her how he killed families of Sand People.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom