• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my Netflix adventures I returned to Justice League Unlimited and, aside from the hilarious amount of innuendo, I was reminded of how liberally they use "die, death, kill, etc." and how it annoyed me to death they seemed to have to slide around the language even if the intent was there in LoK. Is it a network thing?

I keep telling people Kill La Kill isn't that bad. Satsuki was awesome, far more grounded than Ryuko. Glad you're enjoying it.

Yea, I see why ya' made the Kuvira comparison a while back. I like Satsuki more lol.

On my Netflix adventures I returned to Justice League Unlimited and, aside from the hilarious amount of innuendo, I was reminded of how liberally they use "die, death, kill, etc." and how it annoyed me to death they seemed to have to slide around the language even if the intent was there in LoK. Is it a network thing?

Yea, I see why ya' made the Kuvira comparison a while back. I like Satsuki more lol.
JLU was a primetime show. I believe it was typically shown at the tail-end of Toonami at 8pm. That makes all the difference. Korra was envisioned as a Saturday morning show and that doesn't fly.

It probably would have changed if everything wasn't already recorded when it got shifted to online.

Kuvira ain't got shit on Satsuki!!!! You don't ask the Kuvira how the Satsuki-sama soars!
Anakin was a much better character in The Clone Wars than in the prequel movies he appears in.
That scene with Ashoka at the end was god damn heart breaking.

JLU was a primetime show. I believe it was typically shown at the tail-end of Toonami at 8pm. That makes all the difference. Korra was envisioned as a Saturday morning show and that doesn't fly.

It probably would have changed if everything wasn't already recorded when it got shifted to online.

oooooo ok. That makes sense. I was curious 'cause it was weird to hear after coming off of Korra. lol

Kuvira ain't got shit on Satsuki!!!! You don't ask the Kuvira how the Satsuki-sama soars!

Yea, she was pretty cool. And bordered on Batman levels of preparedness.
That false toenail of the same material as he blade got me good. lol

In Gargoyles Xanatos has the quote, "If you pay a man enough money he'll walk barefoot into hell."

Is it technically a swear in that sense? In JLU, Wonder Woman almost uses it like that but she is cut off.

Yea, she was pretty cool. And bordered on Batman levels of preparedness.
That false toenail of the same material as he blade got me good. lol

Is it technically a swear in that sense? In JLU, Wonder Woman almost uses it like that but she is cut off.
Satsuki is prepared for like every fucking contingency it's hilarious. Regarding Gargoyles. It was a "children's" cartoon yet I think it has more blood than a lot of DCAU stuff, a lot more than Korra. They mess around with slight gun violence use of the words death, murder and suicide I do believe as well. Regarding that hell quote, he was using it in regards to buying a building, used in the first episode, wasn't cut off either. OG Gargoyles wouldn't fly with the current FCC guidelines.

Judging by how Nick handled the show this season, unlikely.

Which is disappointing to me, but at least we got two great shows.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd much rather a fresh project from Bryan and Mike than more Avatar. Only thing I want out of Avatar is another Platinum game. Comics are cool, too.

Think of Zuko Alone. Zuko was able to easily take out non-benders without bending. He was forced to use bending when fighting a no-name bender.

Being able to shoot fire/rocks/water gives you a pretty huge advantage in combat no matter how skilled you are.

True that bending gives an advantage, but Zuko was also trying to deny who he was and was at a psychological disadvantage. He was a bender trying to deny his bending. Look at Ty Lee, May, the Kyoshi Warriors, and Hakoda's Water Tribe squad. They were all fucking monsters (although the Kyoshi Warriors got chumped by Azula's team).

Has there ever been a bending farmer in Avatar?

No seriously, go look at how many bending farmers there are in either show. You could probably count them on one hand. And this isn't because there's a lack of farmers; we see plenty of them, they're just all nonbenders.

The vast majority of benders we see are in other positions. Architecture, military, craftsmen, politics, etc. In the militaries and politics they conspicuously tend to outrank non-benders.

You are definitely not wrong. The Fire Nation had a distinct favoritism towards benders though, because of Ozai. The Earth Kingdom was pretty scattered as well. We never really get to see their inner politics aside from Ba Sing Se, and that scenario existed because the Earth King was incompetent and easily manipulated.

I compare Legend of Korra and ATLA to Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z.

Both Korra and Dragon Ball Z have some great moments, but they both have a tendency to have some really weird writing choices. That hamper the experience, though I do think Z remains and I would put it above Korra.

(Legit though, when Vegeta finally admitted Goku was better than him was easily the most powerful moments in the series, along when Goku first turning SS)

I've made this comparison before, and it's not uncommon for a show or series to go from being focused on the world and characters to being focused on plot and action. I'd disagree on DBZ being better than TLoK though, only because the pacing and legitimate just shitting on characters makes it impossible for me to watch DBZ. The action bores me, and the reliance on power levels and overall just samey-ness of the powers is boring as fuck to me. I'll talk about that shit for days, though. Same with Star Wars. Loved it as a kid, boring is fuck now, though. Will see Episode 7.

And oh my goodness at some of the critiques, some of you act like TLoK is the end of all that is good and holy in the world lawd have mercy

That world must be terrifying though. Like, they have spider-rats. The fuck are those? Terrifying beasties, that's what.

God the Lieutenant is such a jobber

tumblr_m5rxwuQWqJ1rnryvao3_400.gif

And I just finished Air. About to re-watch Spirits. Let's see how this holds up. Or doesn't. I'm unclear as to what my re-expectations are.

Satsuki is prepared for like every fucking contingency it's hilarious. Regarding Gargoyles. It was a "children's" cartoon yet I think it has more blood than a lot of DCAU stuff, a lot more than Korra. They mess around with slight gun violence use of the words death, murder and suicide I do believe as well. Regarding that hell quote, he was using it in regards to buying a building, used in the first episode, wasn't cut off either. OG Gargoyles wouldn't fly with the current FCC guidelines.
Well cable networks aren't required to abide by the FCC's content guidelines. Only broadcast networks. They only mirror them because it's what their advertisers expect and/or the fear of backlash from parents groups.

There is nothing legally stopping Syfy from showing the original unedited version of Spartacus if they wanted. Even at 10am. It's self-regulation.

Ashoka and Anakin had such good chemistry. Too bad events had already been pre determined by the movies so we couldn't get more of them together.
Still hoping Rebels gives me the dream team of Ashoka and Asajj. The moment I hear about that shit happening I'll start watching Rebels.

360pages

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd much rather a fresh project from Bryan and Mike than more Avatar. Only thing I want out of Avatar is another Platinum game. Comics are cool, too.

True that bending gives an advantage, but Zuko was also trying to deny who he was and was at a psychological disadvantage. He was a bender trying to deny his bending. Look at Ty Lee, May, the Kyoshi Warriors, and Hakoda's Water Tribe squad. They were all fucking monsters (although the Kyoshi Warriors got chumped by Azula's team).

You are definitely not wrong. The Fire Nation had a distinct favoritism towards benders though, because of Ozai. The Earth Kingdom was pretty scattered as well. We never really get to see their inner politics aside from Ba Sing Se, and that scenario existed because the Earth King was incompetent and easily manipulated.

I'd disagree on DBZ being better than TLoK, only because the pacing and legitimate just shitting on characters makes it impossible for me to watch DBZ. The action bores me, and the reliance on power levels and overall just samey-ness of the powers is boring as fuck to me. I'll talk about that shit for days, though.

And oh my goodness at some of the critiques, some of you act like TLoK is the end of all that is good and holy in the world lawd have mercy

That world must be terrifying though. Like, they have spider-rats. The fuck are those? Terrifying beasties, that's what.

God the Lieutenant is such a jobber

tumblr_m5rxwuQWqJ1rnryvao3_400.gif

I think DBZ Kai removed a lot of pacing issues. (Along with some character moments) though it's a weird thing for me. One thing that bothers me about Korra, is how it really tries to act smart, but constantly does nothing. I think I can let a lot of stupid moments in DBZ slide, since it really is trying to be an action series.

I think DBZ Kai removed a lot of pacing issues. (Along with some character moments) though it's a weird thing for me. One thing that bothers me about Korra, is how it really tries to act smart, but constantly does nothing. I think I can let a lot of stupid moments in DBZ slide, since it really is trying to be an action series.
Kai can never unwrite how useless most of that cast is. I think a character gets one awesome moment an arc unless it's Yamcha where is claim to fame is getting killed by a Saibaman.

360pages

Kai can never unwrite how useless most of that cast is. I think a character gets one awesome moment an arc unless it's Yamcha where is claim to fame is getting killed by a Saibaman.

True, everyone gets at least one moment per. Like when Krillen saved the mother and daughter from Cell. (That was cut from Kai) or when Tien held Cell back.

To be fair, the only legit completely useless character is Yamcha

I still think this is more of an issue with the fans than it is with the show, but that's just me. To each their own. I still have to watch Kai. Been meaning to. It may fix my issues with DBZ. May.

Daemul

I still think this is more of an issue with the fans than it is with the show, but that's just me. To each their own. I still have to watch Kai. Been meaning to. It may fix my issues with DBZ. May.

I'm not a fan of Kai. It cut's out filler, but it also cuts out some great character arcs, like most of Gohan's training.

I prefer to watch the filler episodes instead.

True, everyone gets at least one moment per. Like when Krillen saved the mother and daughter from Cell. (That was cut from Kai) or when Tien held Cell back.

To be fair, the only legit completely useless character is Yamcha
Did Kai edit out Piccolo essentially raising Gohan or does Goku keep his absentee dad status? I always found that shit hilarious.

Well cable networks aren't required to abide by the FCC's content guidelines. Only broadcast networks. They only mirror them because it's what their advertisers expect and/or the fear of backlash from parents groups.

There is nothing legally stopping Syfy from showing the original unedited version of Spartacus if they wanted. Even at 10am. It's self-regulation.

Well, that is an interesting piece of info. Never would've known.

I loved all of DBZ until the show ended with the Cell Saga, I've recently rewatched the entire show and only skipped a few episodes. Kai was also pretty good except for the lack of the original Funimation music.

I also love all of Korra except Spirit of Competition and the first half of Book 2.

I loved all if DBZ until the show ended with the Cell Saga, I've recently rewatched the entire show and only skipped a few episodes.

I also love all of Korra except Spirit of Competition and the first half of Book 2.
I'm fine with most of it except for Gohan getting so weak as a teen and the whole Buu saga thing. I just didn't like him as a villain. His dub voice being so annoying helped nothing. I did enjoy the lead up to the romance with Videl though, thought it was cute.

360pages

I'm not a fan of Kai. It cut's out filler, but it also cuts out some great character arcs, like most of Gohan's training.

I prefer to watch the filler episodes instead.

Yeah, them cutting out Gohan's training arc was awful, since that was easily one of the best arcs in the series it also cuts out the human's training with King Kai, Butchered Vegeta's death against Frieza.

Cut the other world tournament...a lot of great moments removed, I know it was for the sake of flow. But it makes the series feel super jumpy.

I'm fine with most of it except for Gohan getting so weak as a teen and the whole Buu saga thing. I just didn't like him as a villain. His dub voice being so annoying helped nothing. I did enjoy the lead up to the romance with Videl though, thought it was cute.
Buu saga? Never heard of it.

I wish.

Yeah, them cutting out Gohan's training arc was awful, since that was easily one of the best arcs in the series it also cuts out the human's training with King Kai, Butchered Vegeta's death against Frieza.

Cut the other world tournament...a lot of great moments removed, I know it was for the sake of flow. But it makes the series feel super jumpy.
Is the world tournament the lead in to the Buu saga or is that something else? How could they cut out Gohan's actual parenting? That's pretty much what leads Piccolo to care about Gohan and then sacrifice him. So pretty much in Kai Gohan only has absentee dad Goku for a father?
Buu saga? Never heard of it.

I wish.
Don't blame you. That was essentially Toriyama screaming "please let me stop writing this already."

360pages

Is the world tournament the lead in to the Buu saga or is that something else? How could they cut out Gohan's actual parenting? That's pretty much what leads Piccolo to care about Gohan and then sacrifice him. So pretty much in Kai Gohan only has absentee dad Goku for a father?

No, I'm talking about the tournament right after the Cell Saga, when Goku was still in the otherworld. They held a tournament for all the dead fighters.

Goku fought Pikkon in the finals

No, I'm talking about the tournament right after the Cell Saga, when Goku was still in the otherworld. They held a tournament for all the dead fighters.

I don't even remember that. Was it part of the original Funimation dub that aired on Toonami?

Man Unalaq is such a shady fuck from the moment he shows up. "Yes, coincidentally the evil spirits showed up right as I, the man with the only knowledge of spiritual purification, also showed up. Also, I totally am not trying to use you Korra. I do have plans for you though."

"You have plans for me? Already? Like, this has only been an issue within the past few hours."

"Whaaaaaaaaaat? Nooooooo. I don't...what? Noooooooo."

Oh ok that thing. Yep I remember that. It's I do believe when he goes SSJ2 and then eventually starts training to become SSJ3 under that old dude Kai.
I don't even remember that. Was it part of the original Funimation dub that aired on Toonami?
Definitely.

Sayian Saga
Namek Saga
Ginyu Squad Saga
Freiza Saga
Trunks Saga
Android Saga
Cell Saga

That's all I really remember or like of the show. I never understood where the Cell Games fit in. Is it part of the Cell Saga or is it it's own?

Also, if you haven't already check out DBZ Abridged on YouTube. It's really funny yet it sticks to the actual story pretty well.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Man Unalaq is such a shady fuck from the moment he shows up. "Yes, coincidentally the evil spirits showed up right as I, the man with the only knowledge of spiritual purification, also showed up. Also, I totally am not trying to use you Korra. I do have plans for you though."

"You have plans for me? Already? Like, this has only been an issue within the past few hours."

"Whaaaaaaaaaat? Nooooooo. I don't...what? Noooooooo."

It seemed that Unalaq was intended to play off the idea of Korra being young and inexperienced, and vulnerable to manipulation by teacher figures since she had grown to trust Tenzin implicitly. He was her role model for an elder offering advice and training.

Unfortunately Unalaq was so hammy and [OBVIOUSLY EVIL] to the audience it just made Korra look incredibly dumb.

Pretty much, though I really don't mind them since none of them really contradict anything in the series persay.

I enjoyed the arcs for what they were.
Those arcs are short and inoffensive. I actually found that spirit world tournament to be fun since you get those moments of Goku being himself with his childlike fascination. Garlic Jr arc allows the other characters to solve a problem without Goku.

360pages

Sayian Saga
Namek Saga
Ginyu Squad Saga
Freiza Saga
Trunks Saga
Android Saga
Cell Saga

That's all I really remember or like of the show. I never understood where the Cell Games fit in. Is it part of the Cell Saga or is it it's own?

Most people just condence them into 4 arcs.

Sayian
Freiza
Cell
Buu.

I think Buu Saga suffers the most from bad writing.

The only reason things got so bad is because characters kept making dumb choices. Vegeta having his mid-life crisis awoke Buu.

Goku could have killed fat Buu, but he wanted o let everyone else have the chance. (Not this is the creature that killed Vegeta and owned Gohan, and he wanted two 8 year olds to handle it)

Gotenks played around too much.

Gohan was acting like a dumbass wasting time to finish him off letting Buu get even stronger..

Most people just condence them into 4 arcs.

Sayian
Freiza
Cell
Buu.

I think Buu Saga suffers the most from bad writing.

The only reason things got so bad is because characters kept making dumb choices. Vegeta having his mid-life crisis awoke Buu.

Goku could have killed fat Buu, but he wanted o let everyone else have the chance. (Not this is the creature that killed Vegeta and owned Gohan, and he wanted two 8 year olds to handle it)

Gotenks played around too much.

Gohan was acting like a dumbass wasting time to finish him off letting Buu get even stronger..
Nothing new for the franchise considering that Vegeta could've killed Imperfect Cell but chose not to. Goku trying to let his other son, whom he just met after being dead for years is just another example of his shit parenting, considering that he only died again because he forced Gohan into the same fucking scenario with Cell.

Real talk: Could an earthbender bend glass?

I've frequently asked that question. I have no answer, but I might assume so. Assuming they go by glass being made from sand hit by extreme heat, then a sand bender might. If the glass is dyed using metallic dyes, then I would assume all answers point to "yes."

I also totally forgot how early on in Spirits that Jinora's spiritual affinity is foreshadowed.

360pages

Nothing new for the franchise considering that Vegeta could've killed Imperfect Cell but chose not to. Goku trying to let his other son, whom he just met after being dead for years is just another example of his shit parenting, considering that he only died again because he forced Gohan into the same fucking scenario with Cell.

At least the Cell Situation made sense, since he legit couldn't beat Cell.

(Still glad Piccolo told him off thought)

However, the Buu situation made zero sense, since he could have killed Buu right there, without much trouble.

At least the Cell Situation made sense, since he legit couldn't beat Cell.

(Still glad Piccolo told him off thought)

However, the Buu situation made zero sense, since he could have killed Buu right there, without much trouble.
I actually thought Cell was one of those "I could've but chose not to" fights since he seemed to be better than him the first time they went at it. When Cell came back again with some of Goku's DNA being the Goku can't stop him version. Goku didn't have access to SSJ2 at that moment did he?

360pages

I actually thought Cell was one of those "I could've but chose not to" fights since he seemed to be better than him the first time they went at it. When Cell came back again with some of Goku's DNA being the Goku can't stop him version. Goku didn't have access to SSJ2 at that moment did he?

Nope, Cell was legit holding back against Goku for most of the time.

That and Goku wasted is one chance to kill Cell.

Goku was a shit parent, but he legit knew he was out matched in that situation.

How come Korra never learned how to block chi?
Cause she never studied under Ty Lee. Ty Lee's chi blocking and the Equalist form of it were pretty different.
Nope, Cell was legit holding back against Goku for most of the time.

That and Goku wasted is one chance to kill Cell.

Goku was a shit parent, but he legit knew he was out matched in that situation.
Thanks I had no clue about that. I haven't seen DBZ in a long ass time, it's just not on my occasional rewatch rotation these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom