• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrocious

When she was connected to her past lives, she knew energybending. Plus, why bother when you have bending itself? I mean, she has all 4 elements. It's an unnecessary skill.

Considering chi blocking could be used in an actual fight, it would be useful to know when fighting another bender. Kuvira would've been done in that first duel.

I dunno. Seems practical to me to render an enemy's tool useless swiftly, even though temporarily. Getting the jump on someone with it would be too good.

Granted, of you do get that close, you could probably kill outright.

What the hell ever happened to them? I'd hate to think they morphed into the Equalist army.

Kyoshi Warriors were an independent group in the comics. Mercenaries, basically. May asked them for a favor to act as bodyguards for Zuko during The Promise.

Considering chi blocking could be used in an actual fight, it would be useful to know when fighting another bender. Kuvira would've been done in that first duel.

I dunno. Seems practical to me to render an enemy's tool useless swiftly, even though temporarily. Getting the jump on someone with it would be too good.

Granted, of you do get that close, you could probably kill outright.

I am in no way saying it's a useless skill, just seems...why bother? It just doesn't seem like it was a necessary tool to add to an already massive skill set. Plus, Kuvira probably wouldn't have been done. Korra still didn't want to fight and was still weakened from the very-recent-removal of mercury, so having the skills to block chi would have effectively done nothing.

More real talk: How did they get more sky bison? The only one left was Appa. Or was that not the case?

Keasar

Just got back from holiday family visit, saw the last episode, did not expect the final shot.

Pretty cool of them to end it like that. Also Kuvira/Korra fight was damn awesome.

Daemul

tumblr_nhcvdz1tbx1shlkbso1_1280.jpg

There are three comics, right?

Are they available online?

If you searched around a bit you could probably find them.

Got this in the mail today. Books 2 & 3 DVDs still en route.

Uh, wow, did not expect the comics to be so large, but that explains their cost I guess.

Well you got the library editions. Dark Horse does those. I have them for other series from them as well. 5 volumes of Hellboy and 1 volume of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Luigi87

Well you got the library editions. Dark Horse does those. I have them for other series from them as well. 5 volumes of Hellboy and 1 volume of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Ooh, okay.
Hm, yeah I don't think any comics I've bought before were Dark Horse published come to think of it.
... Hyrule Historia is probably the only other thing I bought that they published, lol

Ooh, okay.
Hm, yeah I don't think any comics I've bought before were Dark Horse published come to think of it.
... Hyrule Historia is probably the only other thing I bought that they published, lol

Well, you could get individual issues. The issues for the Avatar comics are pretty thick for individual issues. At least the ones for the ones you have. Those, and The Rift.

is the rift going to be the last comic for aang? i wonder if they'll move on to korra afterwards.

Nope.

Aaaaaand now I'm remembering early Spirits issue...everyone is a huge dick. Korra's pissed at Mako (and pretty much everyone), Eska and Bolin is the worst relationship, Lin is pretty much a huge bitch, the two asshole detectives on the bombing case, Unalaq is evil as fuck, Mako is a dick to Bolin, Tenzin is kind of a jerk...damn. Good thing it only lasts for some of the Book, and not all of it.

Nope.

Aaaaaand now I'm remembering early Spirits issue...everyone is a huge dick. Korra's pissed at Mako (and pretty much everyone), Eska and Bolin is the worst relationship, Lin is pretty much a huge bitch, the two asshole detectives on the bombing case, Unalaq is evil as fuck, Mako is a dick to Bolin, Tenzin is kind of a jerk...damn. Good thing it only lasts for some of the Book, and not all of it.
Everybody pretty much acts like they're from New Jersey for a good portion of that book.

Everybody pretty much acts like they're from New Jersey for a good portion of that book.

It's just weird. Most shows wait before a season where the characters are unlikable dicks. Supernatural had Seasons 4, 6, and 9; Buffy had Seasons 6 and 7; Angel has Season 4. Just throwing these out there.

And, while Raiko's isolationism is understandable, it reaches a ridiculous level. Tons of shit is happening in Republic City's jurisdiction, and you're still not doing anything? Fuck, General Iroh is raring to go!

Daemul

I am not looking forward to reaching LoK S2 during the community re watch. Having to deal with so many douchey characters and having to watch the lovely Asami get screwed all over again is going to be hard.

Gotta make sure I have some alcohol next to me when we reach that point.

I am not looking forward to reaching LoK S2 during the community re watch. Having to deal with so many douchey characters and having to watch the lovely Asami get screwed all over again is going to be hard.

Honestly, it makes sense why Lin and Mako are the way they are. The Civil War is causing trouble for the police, and Mako is dealing with both that and Korra. Plus, he's right about the entire thing and Lin keeps peddling it off on those shitty detectives.

Daemul

Honestly, it makes sense why Lin and Mako are the way they are. The Civil War is causing trouble for the police, and Mako is dealing with both that and Korra. Plus, he's right about the entire thing and Lin keeps peddling it off on those shitty detectives.

Those detectives annoyed me greatly, thankfully it seems that they were sacked and had to settle for playing in Tahno's band.

Daemul

I don't ever feel like watching season 2 again.

Other than beginnings anyway.

Come on, don't tell me you aren't looking forward to seeing Bolin becoming a Mover Star
tLQ8B.png

Nah, I'll re watch season 2 with every one else, and then we'll all bitch and moan about it whilst getting drunk in an attempt to forget what we've just seen.

Afrocious

I made Kuvira as my Inquisitor in Dragon Age. I plan on basically doing Kuvira right. And yes that includes some smugness whenever the game allows me.

Awesome :) I need to play DA: I eventually. I still haven't beaten origins from way back when.

Hmm, if I'm playing Korra Shepherd, then I guess irrational renegade would suit for ME1 and probably 2, with some paragon in 3.

Where are you folk watching Korra anyway? Nick.com?

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
It's amazing how Nick has the worst media player ever, they should be given a prize for how shitty and non functional it is.

Korra season 2 rewatch reaction:
CX1c6Ko.gif

CDiggity

Man, the more I look at the show and its fan art, the more I realize that this show is biased against ugly people. They are people too you know.

Korra season 2 rewatch reaction:
CX1c6Ko.gif

In my opinion, if you like a show and it has a bad season, that season is even more worth a re-watch than others. The reason I say that is because your expectations get tempered and your opinion can change based on that. Won't work for everyone, but that's how I view it.

Daemul

It's amazing how Nick has the worst media player ever, they should be given a prize for how shitty and non functional it is.

It's amazing, I've never used a more shitty media player in my life. It practically drove me to use illegal sites to watch Korra, even though I could have watched it legally and for free on Nick's own site.

Nick what the fuck?

Well for you here's the basis for the pic,
tumblr_ngy9k4uoUZ1qjcqgvo2_r1_500.png

Ah, so the artist just went back and added Mako and Bolin to his/her original drawing. No wonder they look out of place lol

In my opinion, if you like a show and it has a bad season, that season is even more worth a re-watch than others. The reason I say that is because your expectations get tempered and your opinion can change based on that. Won't work for everyone, but that's how I view it.
On first viewing I once thought the Chapter Black Saga in Yu Yu Hakusho was "bad." It took a second viewing to see that it's damn good and challenged the protagonists immensely.

I rewatched the book 1 Korra finale and it's amazing at how underwhelming it is. For a martial arts cartoon, you expect some great fight choreography for the final battle between the show's protagonist and antagonist and it's...Amon casually walk into a room, takes Korra's bending, gets electrocuted by Mako, then gets punched twice and kicked once with air from Korra. It's just so lame.

Like I want to know what the thought process was here? I'm sure they've mentioned in the Book 1 commentary, but I never bothered to listen to all of them. It's just, I'm an adult, I think this is super lame. What would a kid think watching this? I would think they'd be pretty disappointed by this.

Daemul

On first viewing I once thought the Chapter Black Saga in Yu Yu Hakusho was "bad." It took a second viewing to see that it's damn good and challenged the protagonists immensely.

Yeah....I don't think that's going to happen with season 2 lol. But....

This is true. I may end up having a less hostile opinion of season 2 by the end of the rewatch. I won't ever do a 180 and love it, but I can see myself hating it less and beginning to tolerate it more.

Yeah....I don't think that's going to happen with season 2 lol. But....

This is true. I may end up having a less hostile opinion of season 2 by the end of the rewatch. I won't ever do a 180 and love it, but I can see myself hating it less and beginning to tolerate it more.

See? Positive feelings! Also, I really don't get why people think Chapter Black is a bad saga. I always enjoyed it, I just wasn't a fan of Sensui's ultimate reason for entering the Demon World, which was "I want to die at the hands of a worthy opponent." Granted, they're different reasons, but it made me like Sensui significantly less. I liked the whole "fallen angel" archetype that they went with. Bombed out at the end with it, though.

I rewatched the book 1 Korra finale and it's amazing at how underwhelming it is. For a martial arts cartoon, you expect some great fight choreography for the final battle between the show's protagonist and antagonist and it's...Amon casually walk into a room, takes Korra's bending, gets electrocuted by Mako, then gets punched twice and kicked once with air from Korra. It's just so lame.

Like I want to know what the thought process was here? I'm sure they've mentioned in the Book 1 commentary, but I never bothered to listen to all of them. It's just, I'm an adult, I think this is super lame. What would a kid think watching this? I would think they'd be pretty disappointed by this.

Yup. I saw that today, but that comes from the problem of having a bender like Amon. How do you do a cool sequence between a stunted Avatar and an overpowered bloodbender? Tarrlok was a cool fight, but he was trying to mask his bloodbending. By the time they confront Amon, he's already decided "fuck it, let's bend bitch." It's a fundamental problem with the writing of Amon's character.

Toa TAK

Banned
Man season 3 was awesome. How is it that the same people made season 2, failed season 1's finale, and topped the series off with Book 4?

I don't understand.

Astral Dog

I liked the first two episodes of Book 2, along with the Wan episodes, i dont remember them as bad, the dark spirits and the festival was interesting visually, Book 2 had a distinct look to it, like Book 1,while Book 3 and 4 look similar.

360pages

On the flip side I went back and rewatched GT thinking it couldn't have been as bad as I remembered...I was right, it was much worse.

(It had a good ending though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom