• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
The fellow who drew those film-esque posters for season 4 just posted this

tumblr_nhd94nbRb61qjcqgvo1_r1_500.png

Soooooo good! Now do a poster of Korrasami at the spirit portal pleeeeease!

Astral Dog

I know! lets talk again about how Amon was a waste of potential.

He was obviously the villain the creators took longer to conceptualize, you can notice this Amon was threatening, mysterious, had a scary design/voice, always won when he appeared, a cool voice,a sad backstory, he had supporters that were able to take on the Avatar without help, a great music theme.

he was awesome until the end, where his face had paint! then he just escaped. took his brother and died, not before Korra throwing him out the window with magic airbending.

The worst ending of the series it was the worst to me because after the last three episodes of Book 1, i had very, very low expectations coming to Book 2.

I cant even see Amon and Noatak as the same characters, all the backstory or development was for Tarrlock, he said it all. Amon was just the villain Korra had to beat.

At least he wasnt a "simple" antagonist like Unalaq or Kuvira.
3168990-4665539173-chara.jpg

See? Positive feelings! Also, I really don't get why people think Chapter Black is a bad saga. I always enjoyed it, I just wasn't a fan of Sensui's ultimate reason for entering the Demon World, which was "I want to die at the hands of a worthy opponent." Granted, they're different reasons, but it made me like Sensui significantly less. I liked the whole "fallen angel" archetype that they went with. Bombed out at the end with it, though.
The thing with Sensui is that he's the mirror version of what Yusuke was. Had he grown up differently Yusuke could've turned out like Sensui but he views the world in more terms of grey so the real world didn't warp his fucking mind. That and the fact that Yusuke in general is nowhere near as philosophical. I thought Sensui wanted to die at the hands of a worthy opponent because he was going to die from some sort of sickness any way? I think it's something his lover brought up.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
As odd as it may be for to say this on the surface, I do think Legend of Korra would have benefited more and have shed a whole host of its flaws if it were an actual anime title.

There's no way of knowing that. Definitely would have opened up the lore and made the transition into Spirits a bit easier. Still, I liked Amon and Tarrlok's backstory, and bloodbending is fucking terrifying to watch.

Can't really think of non-asspull ways of defeating Amon. I mean maybe if season 1 went more deep with Korra exploring spirituality, specifically unlocking the charkas. By accepting Mako's possible fate, she was able to obtain full control of the Avatar State. Then this can lead to Korra+Mako failed relationship, where Mako just sees Korra the person and not the Avatar in season 2. Instead of what we got... Of course Asami would be more accepting of Korra' identity which would eventually lead to Korrasami. Basically, same old same old, LoK could've been better planned out.

Afrocious

I wouldn't mind a villain who was one-note and simpler if they put in work honestly. That's why I like Ozai. Guy was bad to the bone and came pretty close to his goal. He didn't come across as a jobber, too.

Then you have folks like Moriarty and The Joker who ruin things just because.

The villains I truly detest though? Folks like that 'Meth Damon' guy from Breaking Bad. Couldn't stand that dude. Gus was terrifying, but this guy felt like a kid trying to prove himself the entire time by doing some fucked up shit.

Veelk

Banned
No, no no, meth Damon was fascinating because he was genuinely a nice guy that was a monster. He was kind and considerate to everyone, even if they were rude to him. He simply placed no value on life. He is another good example of sociopaths because they're values are so alien, because normal people have trouble processing how someone can so genuinely polite and friendly while being so depraved. The contrast is fascinating.

Toa TAK

Banned
Him and Lydia? Fuck both of them!

Well written antagonists. Holy shit I couldn't stand either of them.

Meth Damon didn't give two fuck about anything until he thought about banging Lidia.

Hahaha, now that was a ship I could get behind.

But seriously, if we start talking about Breaking Bad now, I'm just gonna have to scrap the whole OP.
No, no no, meth Damon was fascinating because he was genuinely a nice guy that was a monster. He was kind and considerate to everyone, even if they were rude to him. He simply placed no value on life. He is another good example of sociopaths because they're values are so alien, because normal people have trouble processing how someone can so genuinely polite and friendly while being so depraved. The contrast is fascinating.

Hold up, I'll raise you one:

If he didn't have any value on anyone's life, being nice or not, wouldn't that be the same as not feeling whatever happens to them?

Afrocious

Precisely. That's why I detested him. Like grossed out even.

He reminded me of a real boy wanting approval. He looked up to his uncle, amidst of all the fucked up shit they both did.

Hahaha, now that was a ship I could get behind.

But seriously, if we start talking about Breaking Bad now, I'm just gonna have to scrap the whole OP.

If he didn't have any value on anyone's life, being nice or not, wouldn't that be the same as not feeling whatever happens to them?
Sociopaths don't exactly process empathy. He was nice not to draw suspicion but he didn't exactly care about people. I haven't seen that season in a long time though so I haven't exactly analyzed him that much.

Veelk

Banned

Yeah.. Sorta. Honestly, between him and his uncle jack, it seems as though the neo nazis as a whole possess some ethics but not morality. Like both Jack and Todd were polite to others, even to the point where they don't gain anything from it. But they don't place value on people the same way normal people do.

I'll elaborate on this later, since I'm on my phone and about to lose the signal anyhow

Sociopaths don't exactly process empathy. He was nice not to draw suspicion but he didn't exactly care about people. I haven't seen that season in a long time though so I haven't exactly analyzed him that much.
Not true. He was nice plenty of times where it didn't benefit him in anyway. Same with Jack. To him and Jack, niceness is more of a matter of principle, not practicality.

Daemul

As odd as it may be for to say this on the surface, I do think Legend of Korra would have benefited more and have shed a whole host of its flaws if it were an actual anime title.

It would have gotten a hell of lot of extra leeway that's for sure.

Yeah.. Sorta. Honestly, between him and his uncle jack, it seems as though the neo nazis as a whole possess some ethics but not morality. Like both Jack and Todd were polite to others, even to the point where they don't gain anything from it. But they don't place value on people the same way normal people do.

I'll elaborate on this later, since I'm on my phone and about to lose the signal anyhow

Not true. He was nice plenty of times where it didn't benefit him in anyway. Same with Jack. To him and Jack, niceness is more of a matter of principle, not practicality.
I did warn that I haven't seen it in awhile. I've only seen most of Breaking Bad once so portions of that or at least some of the subtext I don't exactly have the best grasp on. So yeah I'll definitely take the L on that one. In other news the prep time of David Xanatos is hilarious. Nothing really happens without the guy already pre planning it and even when it looks like he's losing it's like "just as I planned." Everything works to his advantage...rich bastard lol. How can you not like evil parallel universe Commander Riker.

360pages

Maybe, the seasons probably would have been longer.

I think it comes down to the fact that it needed an over reaching plot or a monster/bender of the week set up. It tried to merge both an failed as a story as a result. 13 EP per villain was just asking for trouble honestly.

I just woke up. I had a dream that in the spirit world, Korra and asami decided to be one person because they love each other. They combined their physical body and personality through some spirit power shit. When they came back to the real world, Korrasami ended with Mako. Crazy, I know.

On first viewing I once thought the Chapter Black Saga in Yu Yu Hakusho was "bad." It took a second viewing to see that it's damn good and challenged the protagonists immensely.

I love Yu Yu. I was just mad that
Genaki didn't throw down at all after bringing her back from the dead
and that after the Toguro fight, the final fights were all about power levels. I'd like to see a team beatdown for the final villain in one anime, but Yu Yu and Dragonball all just focused on one character being the victor.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
did amon always put on his makeup before going anywhere just in case someone called bs on his story
or was Endgame just his lucky day

I love Yu Yu. I was just mad that
Genaki didn't throw down at all after bringing her back from the dead
and that after the Toguro fight, the final fights were all about power levels. I'd like to see a team beatdown for the final villain in one anime, but Yu Yu and Dragonball all just focused on one character being the victor.
At the very least the team in Yu Yu actually brought down a decent amount of mooks and side characters. Hiei and Kurama cleaned house in the Dark Tournament. Way more efficient than anybody in the Z crew. Regarding Genkai, none of the other fights were as personal to her as Toguro. She essentially just pulled a Toph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom