• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should have just called themselves the Xanatos Collective instead of the Light.
You think you won? It was part of my plan all along. I love Lex Luthor in Young Justice. Red Arrow tried to arrest him and Lex told him to speak to his lawyer.
I'd believe it. I'm at the middle of season 1, the fighting is ok, team interaction is what interests me the most.
The dialogue is good and the dynamics of the team regarding interaction and actual planning are all pretty good. Everybody supplements the team pretty well, even the bigger team in part 2 isn't even that bad.

Afrocious

It's probably the best decision Bryke made after the characters were conceptualized.

It's also why I can never agree with people who said 'I forgot she was even a part of team avatar'. What there was on her, her plotlines and her chemistry with Korra is one of the highlights of the series. I never forgot even if she wasn't taking part in the big fight sequences. Heck "Asami is so cool" is something that my girlfriend said more than a few times throughout the series.

It wasn't so much I forgot she was part of the team, but that she was underutilized in Book 2. I feel in Book 3, things got better with her fixing things and fighting.

She honestly was the character I tolerated the most in Book 2 of the team. Mainly because everyone else was damn annoying.

Daemul

She honestly was the character I tolerated the most in Book 2 of the team. Mainly because everyone else was damn annoying.

Asami is the only character I've tolerated over entire series, everyone else annoyed the hell out of me at one point, some more than others. No need to name them, you all know who I'm talking bout.

Afrocious

Just to clarify I meant no disrespect. :p

No worries.

I'm beginning to wonder though: did we really need Mako and Bolin?

Crazy question, I know. Probably one that can't be answered.

I mean in Book 4 yeah, but thinking about it, both of them were kind of there for Book 1 and 2, and then had to fight in 3 and help take out the robot in 4.

Personally, I felt Asami's use in 3 was to make up for her treatment in 2. Similarly, I think Mako and Bolin were just given something to do and a good scene to be inserted for them, so they were written to take out the robot's core.

Asami is the only character I've tolerated over entire series, everyone else annoyed the hell out of me at one point, some more than others. No need to name them, you all know who I'm talking bout.

Same here.

So I'm wondering if this issue of extraneous characters extends all the way to Team Avatar itself.

Asami's plot had to do with the overall plot of Book 1, so she's important there.

I'll need to rewatch the series (and I will soon) but all I seem to remember was Mako being there for romance stuff and tagging along with Korra to do important stuff, and Bolin tagging along with Mako and making shit humor.

RedShift

I need a hug KorraGAF. :p

xnZXhc4.gif

Neo Dark

*hugs*
Here is an animated gif of a hug
What did you need it for though? And that would be KorrasamiGAF

*gives you a noogie as well*
Missed out on your PS4 giveaway. Been busy lately so I only really been skipping around this thread and apparently missed your post on the giveaway. Nice of you to do so though

Mononoke

Banned
For the record, I'm not going anywhere.

I was going to leave, hence the self-ban. I only came back to give away my PS4. But I'm not leaving anymore. I was hanging on to so much guilt and sadness over a relationship that fell apart on GAF. I can't get into details. BUT...I no longer feel guilt, because I think the other person is a piece of shit.

I made mistakes. But I always had the courage to talk it out and never abandon them. I gave them so much support, but when it came to things becoming hard on my end, they just cut and ran. Didn't even have the guts to say goodbye or explain things. I had to find out by messaging someone else.

I can't talk about it more then that. And tbh I don't want to. I won't. But I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm not going anywhere.

Omikaru

*hugs* :3

I'm about to head out for new year's celebration myself. It's only 4pm here, but I'm meeting up with a friend before the party begins to discuss some of my writing, and we're heading out straight after that so I had to get ready now. :(

Hope you all have a nice new year, KorraGAF.

Let's all play some games together in 2015, folks.

Daemul

It's also why I can never agree with people who said 'I forgot she was even a part of team avatar'. What there was on her, her plotlines and her chemistry with Korra is one of the highlights of the series. I never forgot even if she wasn't taking part in the big fight sequences. Heck "Asami is so cool" is something that my girlfriend said more than a few times throughout the series.

She really was cool, way too cool for the series tbh. Everyone around her was a buffoon.

What really grates me the most was how ill treated she was. I have a lot of beef with the first two seasons of Lok, but what really pissed me off most was how Asami constantly got screwed in them.

I've said this before, but Asami is the only reason why I even bothered watching the show again after the trainwreck that was season 2. She was the personification of my dream girl, to a tee. She was smart, wealthy as fuck, unbelievably beautiful, incredibly nice, sometimes unrealistically so, and she was into car racing and sports(pro bending). I mean, it was like Bryke had looked into my brain and taken the idea for Asami from there, which is I always got angry when she got fucked over.

It was like they had given me my dream girl, but then they chose to be funny and constantly fuck her over, which I made the mistake of taking personally since I know it wasn't like that, but man, did it hurt.

They're lucky as fuck that they ended the finale with Asami getting a happy ending, because I was about to go on a massive rant about how, ONCE AGAIN, Asami had to take the biggest L by watching the father, whom she had only just recently reconciled with, die horribly.

Seriously, class A trolling from Bryke.

Afrocious

She really was cool, way too cool for the series tbh. Everyone around her was a buffoon.

What really grates me the most was how ill treated she was. I have a lot of beef with the first two seasons of Lok, but what really pissed me off most was how Asami constantly got screwed in them.

I've said this before, but Asami is the only reason why I even bothered watching the show again after the trainwreck that was season 2. She was the personification of my dream girl, to a tee. She was smart, wealthy as fuck, unbelievably beautiful, incredibly nice, sometimes unrealistically so, and she was into car racing and sports(pro bending). I mean, it was like Bryke had looked into my brain and taken the idea for Asami from there, which is I always got angry when she got fucked over.

It was like they had given me my dream girl, but then they chose to be funny and constantly fuck her over, which I made the mistake of taking personally since I know it wasn't like that, but man, did it hurt.

They're lucky as fuck that they ended the finale with Asami getting a happy ending, because I was about to go on a massive rant about how, ONCE AGAIN, Asami had to take the biggest L by watching the father, whom she had only just recently reconciled with, die horribly.

Seriously, class A trolling from Bryke.

I'm beginning to think Jinora had more use than either Mako and Bolin after reading this post.

Fuck.

Afrocious

What? Bolin I could see, but Mako was there in every finale putting in work. More so than anyone else on Team Avatar anyway.

By use, I meant within the plot. If a character is going to be prominent, they should be part of what's going on overall.

Yeah, he was fighting alongside Korra, but what else? I know in Book 2, he had that whole mystery he solved that lead up Varrick's hilariously obvious reveal. But that felt like he was simply given something to do as opposed to being the person who had to absolutely resolve it. I felt Lin should've been the person handling all of that considering she's already a cop to begin with.

I suppose I could make the same argument for Bolin in Book 4, but I felt more convinced about that one since he had a personal investment in the Earth Kingdom because of his family, so he decided to help Kuvira.

Once we finish TLA let's just do a community watch of FMA:B and pretend Korra doesn't exist.

I am so down with this.

Neo Dark

I was going to leave, hence the self-ban. I only came back to give away my PS4. But I'm not leaving anymore. I was hanging on to so much guilt and sadness over a relationship that fell apart on GAF. I can't get into details. BUT...I no longer feel guilt, because I think the other person is a piece of shit.

I made mistakes. But I always had the courage to talk it out and never abandon them. I gave them so much support, but when it came to things becoming hard on my end, they just cut and ran. Didn't even have the guts to say goodbye or explain things. I had to find out by messaging someone else.

I can't talk about it more then that. And tbh I don't want to. I won't. But I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm not going anywhere.
Aww that sucks. Well glad you're here to stay and also that you gotten over it with the new year coming in. It's a new year, a new start so make the best of it (happy new year btw to everyone that has already leaped into 2015). Go take a drive if you need to. Like Asami says, it's relaxing... as long as you don't drive like Korra. If you do... let me know where you live and I'll be sure to stay away from that area =P

See avatar.

I really should have avatar quoted you. Such a missed opportunity

cb34c26ed22ad2c680103e8c03d11b2569c892dbac423ed54df35bcf39e7bf43.jpg

I haven't watched TLA in years, it'll be good to refresh my memory of it.

Once we finish TLA let's just do a community watch of FMA:B and pretend Korra doesn't exist.

See this is the reason why people did drive-by posts calling the community negative. Y'all act like The Legend of Korra is actually a bad show. I envy you if this is a bad show for you. I truly, truly do. The means you haven't seen some of the shit I have. It's a good action series with a few missteps here and there.

milena87

So I just finished watching Korra and I really loved it. Yeah, I wished Korra had awesome friends like Aang did, but I even came to like Mako and Bolin over the years.

And now I'm kinda sad because it's over. I think I'll need to watch some Buffy in the next couple of days. Buffy always helps :p

See this is the reason why people did drive-by posts calling the community negative. Y'all act like The Legend of Korra is actually a bad show. I envy you if this is a bad show for you. I truly, truly do. The means you haven't seen some of the shit I have. It's a good action series with a few missteps here and there.

I was mostly joking. But I do think the writing and how characters were handled was quite poorly executed.

Currently watching Young Justice and Cowboy Bebop so that may make Korras problems seem more egregious.

I don't really watch a whole lot of TV or anime. I'll usually catch peoples most recommended series so I guess I end up watching really good shows which make Korra seem bad.

It's a fun show to watch, but it's also fun to poke fun at what they get wrong. I actually wasn't so analytical with this show until I joined this site. We should do a community watch of some of the truly bad shows you're thinking about.

Afrocious

I was mostly joking. But I do think the writing and how characters were handled was quite poorly executed.

Currently watching Young Justice and Cowboy Bebop so that may make Korras problems seem more egregious.

I don't really watch a whole lot of TV or anime. I'll usually catch peoples most recommended series so I guess I end up watching really good shows which make Korra seem bad.

This is kind of where I stand.

I think Korra has more than a few missteps. It was ultimately an entertaining show, but it's only passible as far as quality goes.

I have no shame in admitting I've watched some damn good shows and use them as references.

It's a fun show to watch, but it's also fun to poke fun at what they get wrong. I actually wasn't so analytical with this show until I joined this site. We should do a community watch of some of the truly bad shows you're thinking about.

God no. I don't want other people to watch that shit.

Also, there's a point where a person becomes over analytical, and creates issues where there really aren't any, but hey I'm constantly fighting a losing battle anyways.

360pages

I think chemistry is important as hell when making a group of characters do things. I mean these are characters that are or should be together for the majority of the series. If they don't interact well with one another than a lot of down time would just be boring to watch.

Also, Korra as a series isn't bad, but just okay.

I think chemistry is important as hell when making a group of characters do things. I mean these are characters that are or should be together for the majority of the series. If they don't interact well with one another than a lot of down time would just be boring to watch.

Which is why Korra is strange. A lot of the time Team Avatar is split up doing different things.

The only season where they are all together for the majority of the season is book 3, IIRC.

Yeah character interaction is what makes you actually care about the characters. There's nothing wrong with non action filler as long as it's written well. Even DBZ had filler eps like Gohan in high school and Goku and Piccolo learning how to drive. YYH cast and the Jojo casts wouldn't be memorable if they never acted liked friends or gelled well.

Daemul

Hmm.....

tumblr_m590ftE2v41r7coaeo1_250.jpg
tumblr_m590ftE2v41r7coaeo5_250.jpg

tumblr_m590ftE2v41r7coaeo6_250.jpg
tumblr_m590ftE2v41r7coaeo7_250.jpg
tumblr_m590ftE2v41r7coaeo8_250.jpg

Li and Lo - Imperial Concubines

Or things that we can totally sneak past the censors if we never say them outright.

First, I’d like you to take a close look at the number of layers on Li and Lo’s robes: Three.

The only people we ever see wearing three layers like that is the Fire Lord and Iroh as General in the field (when he was still crown prince) i.e. high ranking Fire Nation royalty.

So what does that mean: Li and Lo have to be high ranking.

Zuko, even as crown prince Ozai you dick only gets two layers. The same goes for Azula.

Yet Li and Lo are never addressed as family, no title of cousin, aunt, grandma etc. Iroh, on the other hand is frequently referred to as uncle, as is Lu Ten as cousin.

Neither do they seem to hold a court title. They are not Sifu Li and Lo, even though they supervise Azula’s firebending training. They are not addressed as minister or general or get any other title throughout the series but their names.

Taking into account their high rank, and how trusted they are, as well as the official duties (Like welcoming the prince and princess back) they have, the conclusion I have come to is that their title was omitted to sneak it past the censors.

Also noting that we get specifically told how hot they were when they were young, my conclusion is that they were Azulon’s concubines.

And later Ozai’s since traditionally in Imperial China the heir did inherit the concubines of his father XD and then Azula, and then Zuko.

Not inherit in that way, you pervs, that was rare (but did happen occasionally). But in the ‘keep living at court kind of way’.

Empress Wu (625-706)

Wu became a junior concubine at the age of twelve. When her Emperor died, she became the concubine of his successor, and later his Empress.

oh_gif.gif

I don't think it's fair to say "few missteps" when some of the missteps were fairly huge. LoK definitely isn't bad, but I can see how some people would be pretty disappointed.

360pages

Yeah character interaction is what makes you actually care about the characters. There's nothing wrong with non action filler as long as it's written well. Even DBZ had filler eps like Gohan in high school and Goku and Piccolo learning how to drive. YYH cast and the Jojo casts wouldn't be memorable if they never acted liked friends or gelled well.

I loved Gohan going to Highschool, legit best part about the Buu Saga.

Yeah all that stuff with him trying not to be OP in high school was pretty funny. I also liked the introduction of Videl because she was a bit like Chi Chi with how she was a fighter as well...though I wonder who would win that fight?

Daemul

Apart from season 2, LoK wasn't really that bad. My main beef was with the ill treatment of Asami. I would certainly recommend the show to others if they enquired about it.

Daemul

Yeah all that stuff with him trying not to be OP in high school was pretty funny. I also liked the introduction of Videl because she was a bit like Chi Chi with how she was a fighter as well...though I wonder who would win that fight?

The Gohan in high school mini arc was hilarious. The series needed that sort of comedy relief after the long and brutal(in a good way) Cell arc.

RedShift

Apart from season 2, LoK wasn't really that bad. My main beef was with the ill treatment of Asami. I would certainly recommend the show to others if they enquired about it.

Even Season 2 isn't anywhere near as bad as some people make out. It had Beginnings, and that episode in the Spirit World, and Varrick. It had flaws but it's still watchable.

360pages

I like Videl a hell of a lot more than ChiChi.

ChiChi's character was shot to shit in Z. Where a Majority of the time was just spent with her complaining without actually contributing to solutions unlike say Bulma and other characters.

Even Season 2 isn't anywhere near as bad as some people make out. It had Beginnings, and that episode in the Spirit World, and Varrick. It had flaws but it's still watchable.
Even after 70 years the Wan Shi Tong is still a dick. If anybody ever goes to that library again he's just going to be like, "fuck off human."
I like Videl a hell of a lot more than ChiChi.

ChiChi's character was shot to shit in Z. Where a Majority of the time was just spent with her complaining without actually contributing to solutions unlike say Bulma and other characters.
Does Chi Chi even have much of a personality? I only remember her child form in Dragonball I didn't see the last arc where she fought in the last tournament. Videl is pretty fun. She even joined Gohan as Saiyawoman. I guess I'll have to watch Ball and Z again at some point...GT...most likely not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom