• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Maxinas

94-97 score imo. Too many reviewers try to be contrarian these days for the sake of clicks/views, that it would be a miracle for a game to ever reach 98+ ever again.

94-97 score imo. Too many reviewers try to be contrarian these days for the sake of clicks/views, that it would be a miracle for a game to ever reach 98+ ever again.
mmm i think its not good to consider scores that are outside the main range "contrarian".

if the reviewer genuinely doesn't like something, should they not give it what they think it deserves?

Dystify

Is there one word or short phrase that summarizes the EDGE review well? I'm preparing something for the final review thread (different from this thread) and would like a very short quote.

I couldn't disagree more. People want more Persona 4 and more built on that. Persona 5 is doing that. Persona 5 will be an easy 90+. I loved everything about Persona 4 and I want more of the same lol.

Agreed. I feel the only thing preventing Persona 5 from hitting 95+ is the fact that it's an enhanced PS3 game with some low res textures in some areas. I also feel some reviewers won't like how stylish the UI is. As long as it gets 90+ though, I'm good.

Is there one word or short phrase that summarizes the EDGE review well? I'm preparing something for the final review thread (different from this thread) and would like a very short quote.
Skyward Sword.

Agreed. I feel the only thing preventing Persona 5 from hitting 95+ is the fact that it's an enhanced PS3 game with some low res textures in some areas. I also feel some reviewers won't like how stylish the UI is. As long as it gets 90+ though, I'm good.

Yeah I can see the UI being a turn off for some, especially since it's something you constantly see.

Caelus

Rather, the design teams have studied the competition, identified the genre's staples, its peccadilloes and its problems, and addressed them with the same flair that goes into a Mario or linear Zelda game. The results are breathtaking.

Maybe?

I'd imagine a few reviewers will give it a 7 or 8 due to wanting more out of the dungeons

Why would that drag the score all the way down to a 7? I think people are overstating the importance of "main" dungeons in this game.

Big One

Banned
I'd imagine a few reviewers will give it a 7 or 8 due to wanting more out of the dungeons
The dungeons are likely big as well since Monolith Soft likely did a lot of the overworld work for the team. Aonuma knows how to get his games some memorable dungeons.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

"Nineteen years on, Ocarina is still held up as the high-water mark of one of gaming's best-loved - and greatest - series. Now it may have to settle for second place."

Not that short buuuut...

phanphare

Banned

I'd go with that whole quote, though it is a bit longer

We've tried, over the years, to get Nintendo executives to talk about other companies' work. The house of Mario has long cultivated the impression that it's profoundly uninterested in what goes outside its own walls. Breath of the Wild producer Eiji Aonuma admits that younger members of the team play lots of games, and studied other open worlds in preparation.
Yet this is no copycat work. Rather, the design teams have studied the competition, identified the genre's staples, its peccadilloes and its problems, and addressed them with the same flair that goes into a Mario or linear Zelda game. The results are breathtaking.

Jobbs

Banned
Nintendo really seems to have had a total saturation strategy with promoting Switch and Zelda on Youtube. They must have sent out units to hundreds if not thousands of smaller youtubers -- I've seen ones with as few as 10k subs get their hands on it.

Man. I don't really like the vast majority of the Zelda music I've heard, but this was fantastic. Thanks for the link. I hope BOTW will have some music more like that.

You're welcome. Dragon Quest 8 has maybe the most memorable VG music of all time and it's worth checking out more of the soundtrack if you're so inclined!

Maybe?

Why would that drag the score all the way down to a 7? I think people are overstating the importance of "main" dungeons in this game.
Different people want different things in Zelda. For people who see Zeldas core components as dungeon solving and aren't interested in open world stuff they might be disappointed judging by the edge review

Caelus

I wouldn't consider that a short phrase, lol.

Not since Ocarina of Time have we set foot in a world that seems so mind-boggingly vast, that feels so unerringly magical, that proves so relentlessly intriguing.

Different people want different things in Zelda. For people who see Zeldas core components as dungeon solving and aren't interested in open world stuff they might be disappointed judging by the edge review

Sure. That doesn't explain the justification for docking several points when the game still has dungeons, mini-dungeons and mazes. A score of 7 suggests serious flaws with a game, personally, even if it's technically a "good" score.

Sure. That doesn't explain the justification for docking several points when the game still has dungeons, mini-dungeons and mazes. A score of 7 suggests serious flaws with a game, personally, even if it's technically a "good" score.
game reviews don't really work like that, tho. there isn't a scoreboard somewhere, most reviewers will assess the technical and artistic elements and then come up with their conclusion.

a 7 doesn't necessarily mean they took away points for any specific issues, it could just be what the reviewer feels the game deserves.

a 7 could be "this game is held back by something" or it could be "in terms of enjoyment i got a 7 out of it", even if nothing is technically wrong with it.

I think it's going to be 95% plus easily, with plenty of GOAT claims being flung around. All the previews read like they want to call it already but they can't because they are on!Y supposed to talk about the first five hours.

TP and SS always had that slight whiff of disappointment about them. TP was too much by the numbers and SS was too restrictive and had the divisive waggle factor. Not to say that either was bad but the faults were obvious. This is something completely different.

Also feels like the last three big games (WW, TP and SS) were all on the same engine and it was noticeable. No chance of that here.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Let's wait for the review thread to guess review scores pls.

At least guessing particular people will rate it low might be weird, even though I hate Jim sterlings content I know that dude loves Zelda so him giving it low would be more surprising than anything.

a 7 could be "this game is held back by something" or it could be "in terms of enjoyment i got a 7 out of it", even if nothing is technically wrong with it.

Well, there's a 7/10, which is a pretty good, above average score, and then you have the NeoGAF 7/10

giphy.gif

rockx4

I accidentally clicked the spoiler thread earlier today before heading out (title wasn't changed yet), mistakes were made... I was left feeling depressed during my drive :(

rockx4

I know the game was leaked, is everything being spoiled now?

There were spoilers on story cutscene content, and seemed really important from what I read. Do not click it :\

This is from a 2 hours ago.

I thought I was clicking on this thread and wanted to catch up, I fucked up lol

Justinian

Maybe I'm just old but I think it's pretty sad that many gamers prefer a better framerate or image quality over amazing gameplay.

Frame rate IS GAMEPLAY. It's literally the sole factor that can give you a consistent and smooth gameplay experience. When it fluctuates or dips, it affects controller response which results in a terrible gameplay experience.

Those other games you mentioned ran at a low frame rate but at least they were CONSISTENT.

I can't believe how few people understand this...

Top Bottom