• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Frankly, I'm worried that Red Dead Redemption 2 is going to pale in comparison to Zelda's accomplishments. It's going to have good graphical fidelity and great art and attention to detail. But will it just be more Red Dead Redemption structurally?

In this video (note SPOILERS) , the guy encounters a rather intimidating looking boss that has a fitting theme.

Yeah this stuff so far for the battles feel fine in context which is what's important. I guess I'm just really itching to know if the bosses and boss tracks are great. It's the one major unknown for me so far. Random enemy encounter music out in the wild can be whatever as long as the boss tracks are great.

I thought Wind Waker had exceedingly shitty boss music, aside from the final boss music which is randomly one of the best in the series if not the best.

Like holy shit what the FUCK is this random garbage

But then this from Skyward Sword is simply incredible with an immediately memorable melody-- it's ACTUALLY epic and stirring

Jobbs

Banned
but that's exactly the point.

I agree, but I think if any game can escape this it's zelda -- Due to its history, reviewers being the perfect age to have very fond childhood memories of OOT, and the general appeal of Zelda -- It's less divisive than story driven games starring unappealing characters like TW3 and UC4.

Again -- that's just my feeling on it, and you may disagree, but I'd actually bet money on it getting a 95+ mc. We'll find out soon!

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Super Mario 3D World is the highest rated Wii U game @ 93.

Will Breath of the Wild beat it or will Mario remain quality king?

If it gets a HD Switch remaster it will for sure. "remember when Zelda games were linear? Why can't Nintendo make them like they used to.." (Skyward Sword is great)

"I've always liked Skyward Sword, I was just not present when brandonh83 was foolishly defending it like a love slave"

Emitan

Yeah this stuff so far for the battles feel fine in context which is what's important. I guess I'm just really itching to know if the bosses and boss tracks are great. It's the one major unknown for me so far. Random enemy encounter music out in the wild can be whatever as long as the boss tracks are great.

I thought Wind Waker had exceedingly shitty boss music, aside from the final boss music which is randomly one of the best in the series if not the best.

But then this from Skyward Sword is simply incredible with an immediately memorable melody-- it's ACTUALLY epic and stirring
But Wind Waker also has one of the best!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEcOx__-xa0

Kthulhu

LoZ: BotW |OT|
007_thumb.png

Ooh I like that one.

Persona 5?

There's only two games I think that can hit 95 or higher that we know of and that have said to be coming this year- Super Mario Odyssey and RDR2.

I love Persona and Persona 4 is one of my favorite games of all time, but I feel it will end up around 93, maybe even 94.

SMO is going back to the sandbox style that soooo many people wanted from 3D Mario. RDR was loved by many (including myself it's a top 10 game for me in gen 7). As long as RDR2 has no problems and continues on the same path it'll get high scores.

Kinsei

Banned

Molgera's theme is the best boss music in the series.

Man, Skyword Sword was so good. I really can't understand the complaints. Best dungeons of the whole series, yes...I'm serious.

I refuse to believe anyone can think the Earth Temple is good. The rest of the dungeons are good though.

Frankly, I'm worried that Red Dead Redemption 2 is going to pale in comparison to Zelda's accomplishments. It's going to have good graphical fidelity and great art and attention to detail. But will it just be more Red Dead Redemption structurally?
Red Dead was by far the best open world of last gen, so if RDR2 (still hate that title) is just more, I'd be satisfied but left wanting more. BOTW may do for RDR2 what W3 did to Fallout4.

Nanashrew

Banned

I hope you got nothing bad to say about Molgera's theme.

TrueBlue

what technical issues? some rare frame drops? GTAV had an awful framerate and still got high scores. And that's just one example.

Some reviewers may feel stronger about those drops than others. I also imagine there will be some critique regarding graphics and whatnot. Small margins of course, but it all might add up.

Of course, this is assuming the game is generally acclaimed anyway.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Persona 5 looks great but isn't it just more of the same?

I feel like it could hit the mid-80s honestly. It's not different enough from Persona 4 and reviewers will use that as a negative.

watershed

Banned
GameXplain has a sample of the basic battle music up:
https://youtu.be/A5NDp08ePVM

Its funny that they call it EPIC when the music isn't even close to epic and isn't even trying to be. It's not particularly memorable but I assume it will go well with the game. In game it works dynamically with more layers added as the battle prolongs.

-Horizon-

If they weren't already including horse strafing, they are now. ;)
The years of the bow have come to a close. Time for the era of horse drifting.

There's only two games I think that can hit 95 or higher that we know of and that have said to be coming this year- Super Mario Odyssey and RDR2.

I love Persona and Persona 4 is one of my favorite games of all time, but I feel it will end up around 93, maybe even 94.

SMO is going back to the sandbox style that soooo many people wanted from 3D Mario. RDR was loved by many (including myself it's a top 10 game for me in gen 7). As long as RDR2 has no problems and continues on the same path it'll get high scores.
I want to BELIEVE tho

If it gets a 98 on Metacritic, I get to make another sex tape.

Still waiting on Horizon to reach 90 so I can make the first.
80c.gif

Some reviewers may feel stronger about those drops than others. I also imagine there will be some critique regarding graphics and whatnot. Small margins of course, but it all might add up.

Of course, this is assuming the game is generally acclaimed anyway.

Yeah that could be true. Still, I don't care about technical issues as long as the gameplay is fantastic. I mean...I grew up with the NES, SNES, N64....I' ve played OOT and MK 64 with awful framerates.

Maybe I'm just old but I think it's pretty sad that many gamers prefer a better framerate or image quality over amazing gameplay.

Persona 5 looks great but isn't it just more of the same?

I feel like it could hit the mid-80s honestly. It's not different enough from Persona 4 and reviewers will use that as a negative.

I couldn't disagree more. People want more Persona 4 and more built on that. Persona 5 is doing that. Persona 5 will be an easy 90+. I loved everything about Persona 4 and I want more of the same lol.

The setting is unique enough I don't think that'll really matter, especially since the first game isn't available on PS4 or PC. Zelda is already sorta competing with Horizon, Skyrim, Dragon Age, and Witcher. Red Dead has no competition. It could be more of the same and so long as it's bigger, prettier, and has a good story and it'll still be great.

Top Bottom