• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Alienous

I think it's getting a 95+.

Also Horizon is at 88.

Also Nioh is very bland janky and boring IMO. It's like playing an off brand knock off souls game

It takes a lot to get 95+, namely more 10s than 9s and 8s. I don't quite see that happening - I'm expecting 94.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
It's like one day one of the thread shitting weirdos get banned then another one shows up the next day. Strange.

I vote for a spoiler thread title change. I don't trust myself.

EDIT: yep, that title works lol

Caelus

I'm scared. Can someone who's been in there tell me what spoilers are out there? Have major plot points been revealed? I heard yesterday that we know the name of the final boss now.

No major plot points, just a cutscene from the first hour of the game.

Also... fairly sure the final boss is just Calamity Ganon, what we don't know are the forms it might take, which would be pretty serious spoilers.

MTC100

Banned
Lol it's not getting a 95+

I'm gonna say 90-93. Anything lower I can see happening too since this Zelda is more of a wildcard than others.

Lol, it's getting a 95%+ Score. I'm gonna say 95-97% even. Anything higher I can see happening too since this is the best Zelda yet.

I think it's getting a 95+.

Also Horizon is at 88.

Also Nioh is very bland janky and boring IMO. It's like playing an off brand knock off souls game

Agreed, I love that it's physics and not some scripted tree lock in bridge crap
i don't think it's getting a 95+ because i don't think that's really possible anymore

the witcher missed it, uncharted missed it... the only two games this gen to hit 95 or above have been the last of us remastered (which was already a 95 on ps3) and GTA V (which, again, was already a 97).

nothing this gen that came out new has ranked above 95.

This game isn't going to get perfect scores across the board even if the game is as great as the previews are. The Polygon and Giant Bomb reviews will be low in terms of Zelda scores.

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
I'm not going to sit here and pretend like Zelda hasn't been overhyped by media and overrated by reviewers for decades now. Every major Zelda release gets 10's by a majority of major publications and I'm particularly tired of having to read 'better than Ocarina' in every perfect review. And this is as a Zelda fan.

That said, come the fuck on! This isn't Skyward Sword, this looks like legitimately one of the greatest games in the series and is seriously mixing things up for the first time since the series went 3D. I'm expecting a well deserved 95+.

RedSwirl

So in a sense, MGSV's dynamism might be the base potential we're talking here.

That's kinda what I was trying to suggest. MGSV basically took the Ubisoft/Far Cry structure and tighter controls and a greater sense of dynamism. BOTW might do the same for the open-world/survival genre as we currently know it.

That spoiler tag on the thread was very much needed and appreciated.

March 2nd I'm pretty much going to have to stay off the internet (should be easy since I work all day) until I get my Switch and Zelda. Hopefully reviews are pretty safe.

Caelus

Uh l'd say that one spoiler everyone talked about is a pretty fucking major plot point.

Sure, I mean no major mid or late game plot points. The stuff discussed in the spoiler thread is info told to you early in the game, though it's fair if no one wants to know about it til they play it.

i don't think it's getting a 95+ because i don't think that's really possible anymore

the witcher missed it, uncharted missed it... the only two games this gen to hit 95 or above have been the last of us remastered (which was already a 95 on ps3) and GTA V (which, again, was already a 97).

Yeah those don't count. No game for this generation has a 95+ like you said. I think BotW has a slight chance, but there's another game that's coming this year that has a better chance of getting a 95 or higher.

Jobbs

Banned

1) The Witcher and UC4 are, in the minds of many, terribly boring. I'd give UC4 a 6/10 and W3 a 7/10. They'd be far down my picks for 95+. :)

2) A lot of reviewers grew up with OOT and remember its perfect scores and I just think a lot of them will decide if any time is the time to drop a 10/10, it's now

I'm not big on Zelda at all, but from what I've seen and read, a 95+ MC is possible. Game looks like a love letter to Zelda fans. I actually can see it being the highest reviewed game of the year for any console game.

1) The Witcher and UC4 are, in the minds of many, terribly boring. I'd give UC4 a 6/10 and W3 a 7/10. They'd be far down my picks for 95+. :)

2) A lot of reviewers grew up with OOT and remember its perfect scores and I just think a lot of them will decide if any time is the time to drop a 10/10, it's now
but that's exactly the point.

botw, in the minds of some, may be terribly boring. more outlets = more opinions = less homogenised opinions. also review scores in general are heading downwards, so i really don't think anything is guaranteed.
Yeah those don't count. No game for this generation has a 95+ like you said. I think BotW has a slight chance, but there's another game that's coming this year that has a better chance of getting a 95 or higher.
Yeah, I think BOTW probably has the best chance - unless I'm missing something? :p

(would like to know there's a probably super good game coming out that i've completely missed)

TrueBlue

I think technical issues will prevent the game from scoring such heights as 95+, assuming of course there's acclaim across the board.

So quick question, has there been confirmation that portable mode also has FPS dips?

The gameexplain video seems to point to only docked mode.

Uc4 and tw3 are very story driven and the presentations in both are extremely well done. It's not for people who don't enjoy narrative heavy games tho.

PrimeBeef

MSGV did and by most accounts so far BotW is superior to it.

Top Bottom