• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Mistle

I accidentally clicked the spoiler thread earlier today before heading out (title wasn't changed yet), mistakes were made... I was left feeling depressed during my drive :(

damn there's spoilers for this game that are that unexpected? i don't know if any other Zelda could be full on "spoiled" with an image or something. maybe small things here and there that would be better not knowing but nothing game-changing.

hope i can manage avoid big spoilers. i already saw the leaked costumes/weapons and yeah lets just say I hope some of the things I saw were just easter eggs/novelty and not crazy story points!

Anyone else prefer the dungeon music when it tended to be a bit creepier and/or mysterious? Or a bit of both?

Zelda II: Adventure of Link Palace Theme
Link's Awakening: Eagle Tower

And then you have one of the most out of place for Zelda but incredible and spine-tingling Skull Woods dungeon theme from A Link Between Worlds.

If that weren't enough, there's also the Dark Palace theme from... yep, A Link Between Worlds! I didn't expect to hear such bizarrely creepy dungeon music in this game.

Eria

This is gonna be the game of the generation isn't it? Bloodborne and now this... Damn, what a time to be alive!

rockx4

Anyone else prefer the dungeon music when it tended to be a bit creepier and/or mysterious? Or a bit of both?

And then you have one of the most out of place for Zelda but incredible and spine-tingling Skull Woods dungeon theme from A Link Between Worlds.

If that weren't enough, there's also the Dark Palace theme from... yep, A Link Between Worlds! I didn't expect to hear such bizarrely creepy dungeon music in this game.

Yea I love the Palace theme from Zelda 2.

Speely

Banned
I'd just stay away from most social media and youtube altogether this week if being spoiled is a fear of yours. I have a feeling that even surprise thumbnails are going to be spoilerific.

Play some games, catch up on that podcast you like, read a book, etc. Shit's only going to get worse before Friday.

Kinsei

Banned

I prefer music that gives you a sense of what the dungeon used to be. Stuff like this.

Desert Palace (LBW): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2mXzBJONu8

Stone Tower Temple (MM): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab60XEyA5OQ

Yeah, I prefer Forest Temple's soundtrack to any others in OOT for its eerieness.

Nanashrew

Banned

Yeah, I love creepy, haunting, mysterious kind of music.

One reason I also still really enjoy the forest temple theme in OoT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmsZyC0UXUU

Spirit temple is also good. Has a feeling of enchantment and mystery https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEWOeiUmFgA

Ehh, Bloodborne is great, but I wouldn't call it GOTG. It's just another Souls game, albeit with far less build variety.

It's easily my GOTG so far, it might be in my top 10 even. The reasons people love Bloodborne so much go well beyond it being "just another Souls." It feels different than Souls, but there's the art direction which is just baffling, the environmental design and how everything connects, just how organic it is. The atmosphere, the Lovecraftian influence which is just damned brilliant, score, bosses, just everything. I think it's quite a bit better than the other Souls games, partially because of it taking the Souls formula, making it faster, more about offense rather than defense, as well as its gothic horror and Lovecraftian setting and lore.

Those things just all snowballed a bunch of my greatest tastes together into one game, and the series was already one of my favorite gaming series. It just took that and ran amok with other things I love, namely the horror genre and, again, H.P. Lovecraft influence. It just feels like it was made for me and many others feel the same. As much as I'm going to love Zelda, and as big a Zelda fan I may be, I'm not 100% convinced that it's going to surprise me in the same ways Bloodborne did. And that's perfectly okay. A game can not be as surprising or amazing as Bloodborne, to me, and still be one of the best games ever made.

I'll probably like Zelda more, but it's absolutely an uphill battle for me. Also keep in mind that Bloodborne ever so slightly, if maybe not more than slightly, scratched a few Castlevania itches for me. So that's also a big deal.

really not feeling this

none of the music I've heard so far has impressed me that much

I hold Zelda music standards higher than any other game series.
I'm liking it, but I feel most game music besides 8 bit tracks never resonate with me unless I have played the game and had the music work in tandem with the gameplay.

Luigiv

It doesnt matter if it gets a 95-97

The thread is going to be about that one negative review or Horizon.

Good thing the game comes out the next day and we will be in the Zelda OT
Yeah the threads going to be dominated by discussion of the one reviewer who rated it below Horizon or explicitly says it's not as good as Horizon.

Yeah, I prefer Forest Temple's soundtrack to any others in OOT for its eerieness.

One reason I also still really enjoy the forest temple theme in OoT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmsZyC0UXUU

Yep the Forest Temple, well, everything about it is a treasure. The music was phenomenally abstract, weird, yet creepy and memorable. Not weird enough to be off-putting though. I feel like some Zelda tracks are sometimes just too weird.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I've suggested it before, but I really hope for

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT| I wonder what GANON'S up to

The wait for proper Wii U impressions is killing me. I really really really hope it's not that different from the Switch port.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Looks very different to Persona 4 to me. Dungeons for instance look good.

I couldn't disagree more. People want more Persona 4 and more built on that. Persona 5 is doing that. Persona 5 will be an easy 90+. I loved everything about Persona 4 and I want more of the same lol.

We already got a "Persona" with better dungeons than Persona 4 last year though:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE.

That's what I mean, reviewers may be burned out. A Persona 4 clone with Toyko Mirage Sessions quality dungeons isn't as fresh and original as what Zelda is bringing to the table. BOTW will likely score higher than Persona 5.

NewGame

Banned
This stuff happens a lot in the industry- even though video games don't 'go anywhere' it's perfectly legit to play them one after the other, just because they all come out around the same time people like to monofocus their time on a single game, deriding all others.

LoZ: BotW |OT|

007_thumb.png

This has to be it with this image in the OT please Dystify.

Nintendo This Friday:

s97x5wI.jpg

Aspiring

Yeah the threads going to be dominated by discussion the one reviewer who rated it below Horizon or explicitly says it's not as good as Horizon.

Seriously going to be annoying just as it was in Horizons thread. I dont understand why the need to compare. I'm sure they will both be amazing games for different reasons. I mean sure we all will have our preference but who cares if one scores slightly higher than the other. Fact is we are getting these 2 amazing games so close together and we should enjoy both. Its a great time to be a gamer!

Astral Dog

It's easily my GOTG so far, it might be in my top 10 even. The reasons people love Bloodborne so much go well beyond it being "just another Souls." It feels different than Souls, but there's the art direction which is just baffling, the environmental design and how everything connects, just how organic it is. The atmosphere, the Lovecraftian influence which is just damned brilliant, score, bosses, just everything. I think it's quite a bit better than the other Souls games, partially because of it taking the Souls formula, making it faster, more about offense rather than defense, as well as its gothic horror and Lovecraftian setting and lore.

Those things just all snowballed a bunch of my greatest tastes together into one game, and the series was already one of my favorite gaming series. It just took that and ran amok with other things I love, namely the horror genre and, again, H.P. Lovecraft influence. It just feels like it was made for me and many others feel the same. As much as I'm going to love Zelda, and as big a Zelda fan I may be, I'm not 100% convinced that it's going to surprise me in the same ways Bloodborne did. And that's perfectly okay. A game can not be as surprising or amazing as Bloodborne, to me, and still be one of the best games ever made.

I'll probably like Zelda more, but it's absolutely an uphill battle for me. Also keep in mind that Bloodborne ever so slightly, if maybe not more than slightly, scratched a few Castlevania itches for me. So that's also a big deal.
BoTW and Bloodborne are too different to compare anyways,i think im going to like Zelda much more,and Bloodborne is one of the best games of the gen with impeccable level design,art direction and atmosphere.
Zelda simply will excel in other areas. scratching that open world Zelda itch.

Better bring up Horizon for comparisons though 😉

BoTW and Bloodborne are too different to compare anyways,i think im going to like Zelda much more,and Bloodborne is one of the best games of the gen with impeccable level design,art direction and atmosphere.
Zelda simply will excel in other areas. scratching that open world Zelda itch.

Oh yeah I'm looking forward to Zelda for completely different reasons. Not really comparing. Was just outlining why Bloodborne is my favorite game this gen so far and it's really not even close. Like second place... there's a huge gulf between it and Bloodborne. I have a feeling Zelda will replace it, but then the gulf between 1st and 2nd will be quite smaller :p

It's ok but I don't think it's anything special. Honestly I've never liked the normal battle themes for any of the zelda games.

Agreed. Honestly I'd rather have no random encounter music. I don't even like the music beats on the weapon hits in Wind Waker. I forget if Skyward did that or not. Would prefer just having an overworld theme and that theme continuing to play even during encounters. I don't really need the music to be like uh oh it's a skeleton! But boss music, yes, I need my amazing boss tracks.

No, Dragon Quest music is generally very generic orchestral music. There is mostly nothing special about it.

That's because you are probably used to the shitty DS midi versions or something.
But DQ8 ps2 versions music is sublime.

Don't mean to sound like a hole, but that just triggered something in me, lol

Hindl

Any new Twitter quotes that will make me drool and also piss me off that it's still Sunday?

Seconded.

Most everyone has gotten their initial impressions out and we won't hear much till the reviews. But here's Giant Bomb's Dan Ryckert. At this point he's 50 hours in

Dan RyckertVerified account
‏@DanRyckert
I need to sit in an empty room and talk to a wall about Breath of the Wild until the embargo lifts.
10:18 PM - 25 Feb 2017

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Which of these 3 excellent games had the biggest backlash on NeoGAF:

- Bioshock Infinite
- Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Each has critical acclaim and were loved at launch by fans and critics alike. Then the "fans" turned on them.

Yeah the threads going to be dominated by discussion the one reviewer who rated it below Horizon or explicitly says it's not as good as Horizon.
Yep and it all comes down to one real reason. Both are exclusives.

- Bioshock Infinite

Each has critical acclaim and were loved at launch by fans and critics alike. Then the "fans" turned on them.
To be fair these 3 games start off very promising. Hype blinds.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
really not feeling this

none of the music I've heard so far has impressed me that much

I hold Zelda music standards higher than any other game series.
I listened to like 3 seconds of music from one of the towns, it sounded gorgeous.

However, I'm hoping there are some melodies that are just flat out great, lush instrumentation alone can only take a soundtrack so far.

Any podcast impressions for Zelda? I've only listen to Waypoint, but I have access to a computer right and need something to listen to while I finish a short essay for class tommorow

I loved Bioshock Infinite and Skyward Sword.

Metal Gear had great gameplay that I wasn't invested in because it was too big, had a lacking story, not one character I gave a shit about, and bogged down with repetitive missions to the point where you have to re-infiltrate the same bases. Mechanically fantastic, but so lacking in everything else that my disappointment in those regards seeped over into me even enjoying the mechanics. It was a struggle to finish it and was mainly me hoping that it got better.

But it just got worse with a limpdick climax/ending and then a messy, unfocused second chapter.

- Bioshock Infinite

I felt like MGS4 ranks pretty well up here too. Funny because apparently it won GOTY 2008 on GAF two times and yet people here hate its guts still.

Most everyone has gotten their initial impressions out and we won't hear much till the reviews. But here's Giant Bomb's Dan Ryckert. At this point he's 50 hours in

6/10, no one to talk about it with.

I honestly can't remember seeing reactions like this about any game. I was kinda joking over the past year that this will wind up being unanimously considered the greatest game ever made but these reactions are kinda scaring me since that could be true...

Like, this might be one of those defining moments of this industry. Hold me Gaf.

Top Bottom