• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

marrec

Banned
I just

I dunno, man. I just don't get this. It's always so extreme :(

When you have such a by the numbers shooter being justified by a completely awful story it makes for a rather poor game.

Especially when the beginning held so much promise that was then squandered by attempting to recreate the lightning in a bottle that made Bioshock so seminal but ignoring the promise of the first few hours.

I could write so much about the promise and disappointment of Bioshock Infinite. :(

None of these are excellent games.

I say this as a huge Zelda and Bioshock fan.

SS certainly had its flaws, but it was still an excellent game imo. Not GOTY or GOTG worthy, but an exceptionally polished game that showed off the true potential of motion controls within the context of a well done action-adventure title.

I feel people are unduly harsh on it's linear progresssion, and as a result don't give credit to other aspects.

I understand you may feel differently, but I feel like dismissing the game as mediocre or too flawed to be recognized as an excellent title is a bit of an over exaggeration.

skypunch

Banned
GameXplain has a sample of the basic battle music up:
https://youtu.be/A5NDp08ePVM

Its funny that they call it EPIC when the music isn't even close to epic and isn't even trying to be. It's not particularly memorable but I assume it will go well with the game. In game it works dynamically with more layers added as the battle prolongs.

This is fantastic music, but maybe not the kind of music the average video game fan who just want "epic shit" would appreciate or like. It sounds like Steve Reich in places, which is awesome.

It's a clash of ideas that doesn't gel. The gameplay is really bad to boot.

When you have such a by the numbers shooter being justified by a completely awful story it makes for a rather poor game.

I tried to save face and change my post subject into something entirely different lol

Oh well. I just disagree. Completely. I thought it all gelled and was a fantastic game. I can get into it and stick with a playthrough much easier than I can with say The Last of Us which is just mostly a slog to me.

marrec

Banned
I tried to save face and change my post subject into something entirely different lol

Oh well. I just disagree. Completely. I thought it all gelled and was a fantastic game.

That's fine. Reasonable and intelligent people can disagree about the quality of media.

Except BOTW it's going to be GOTG or I'll gouge your eyes out

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I dunno, but if I had to guess, it's probably about how they are conveniently placed for Link ?

I think big rocks placement is worse.

0m5WYNe.gif

9vyNCQ0.gif

Very convenient for Link.

A few people earlier complained about the earlier GIFs where Link would shoot an arrow and explode barrels near an enemy camp, saying it's dumb for them to be positioned there to begin with.
Usually I would agree. Except I love that these bastards throw these at you so it actually makes sense to have explosive barrels. Plus Zelda explosion look pretty sweet.

I hope that selfie thing from WW is back.

LotusHD

Banned
Usually I would agree. Except I love that these bastards throw these at you so it actually makes sense to have explosive barrels. Plus Zelda explosion look pretty sweet.

I hope that selfie thing from WW is back.

Exactly, they actually use them as weapons themselves, but most importantly, explosions are just fucking cool.

SS certainly had its flaws, but it was still an excellent game imo. Not GOTY or GOTG worthy, but an exceptionally polished game that showed off the true potential of motion controls within the context of a well done action-adventure title.

I feel people are unduly harsh on it's linear progresssion, and as a result don't give credit to other aspects.

I understand you may feel differently, but I feel like dismissing the game as mediocre or too flawed to be recognized as an excellent title is a bit of an over exaggeration.

I agree it's a solid action adventure title. The mechanics were sound. It was lengthy and told a complete story. It wasn't a failure on that level.

But in my opinion, somewhere along the way, they lost track of whether or not it was actually fun. It kept me busy. I completed it. But I don't look back particularly fondly on the experience.

Branduil

I don't think BotW being one of the best reviewed games ever would be too surprising. Zelda games almost always review well, and then add to that the fact that it has fairly conventional controls, and good enough graphics for most people, as well as the open-design that appeals to a lot of reviewers, and you have a game that hits a lot of buttons for most people.

For me, Breath of the Wild looks like the Zelda game I've dreamed about since Ocarina of Time. A lot has been made of Zelda "finally" joining the open-world party, but really, only a few elements in the game seem to be new to even the Zelda series. It's the way they've arranged all those elements together that makes it seem so novel, combined with the necessary advances in technology. It's the potential hinted at in both OoT and the original LoZ, united at last.

That's fine. Reasonable and intelligent people can disagree about the quality of media.

I applaud you for not being an asshole about it. :p I could talk about all the things I love about it on a valid level as well I'm sure you could do the opposite, also on a valid level. I'd wager much of that game is just subjective as hell, in fact I can totally understand why.

KingBroly

Banned
I don't think BotW being one of the best reviewed games ever would be too surprising. Zelda games almost always review well, and then add to that the fact that it has fairly conventional controls, and good enough graphics for most people, as well as the open-design that appeals to a lot of reviewers, and you have a game that hits a lot of buttons for most people.

For me, Breath of the Wild looks like the Zelda game I've dreamed about since Ocarina of Time. A lot has been made of Zelda "finally" joining the open-world party, but really, only a few elements in the game seem to be new to even the Zelda series. It's the way they've arranged all those elements together that makes it seem so novel, combined with the necessary advances in technology. It's the potential hinted at in both OoT and the original LoZ, united at last.

I think how journalists are describing it is the revealing part. Usually it's like 'yeah, it's pretty good BUUUUUUT' then goes onto lists lots of complaints. There's also usually 1 dissenter that pisses off everyone, but one hasn't revealed themselves yet...maybe.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So there isn't really a Switch megathread and I'm not sure where to ask this. Has there been any news on the standby feature of the Switch and how it compares to Vita? Can I suspend the game and continue where I was later with little to no battery being used up like Vita?

marrec

Banned
So there isn't really a Switch megathread and I'm not sure where to ask this. Has there been any news on the standby feature of the Switch and how it compares to Vita? Can I suspend the game and continue where I was later with little to no battery being used up like Vita?

I haven't seen anyone talk about the battery drain in sleep but from what I know:

From sleep to gameplay is less than 10s
If the battery dies while playing it will preserve your gameplay and resume from that moment when you plug it back in.

The Vita standby time was glorious, I doubt we'll get that kind of standby with the Switch.

If IGN doesn't give this a 10/10 after giving SS a 10/10 when everything coming out so far is so positive i'll lose my mind.

SS is not even close to a 10.

Spinifex

I read 2% drain for every 8 hours in standby somewhere.

If IGN doesn't give this a 10/10 after giving SS a 10/10 when everything coming out so far is so positive i'll lose my mind.

SS is not even close to a 10.
Just keep in mind that whenever the review does come out, IGN isn't a hivemind, and the one who reviews it will likely be different from the one who reviewed SS.

Also, the score IGN gives it doesn't affect your enjoyability of the game.

Nanashrew

Banned

After 8 hours in sleep mode the Switch will drop only about 2% of its battery so it's got some great efficiency.

Chris Scullion has a short video clip showing how fast it is going from sleep to game. https://twitter.com/i/web/status/835451038517903361

It's nice and fast.

There was this thread about Switch's sleep mode.

You might have missed it. Other than that thread, I haven't really heard much about it.

Top Bottom