• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Makai

I like the theory that Link's left arm was broken (bloody in the trailer), so he switched to his right and got used to it

Jeffrey Grubb 2,263 subs
Fox Ribon 288 subs

I'm not sure what the requirements were but there didn't seem to be many, which I find surprising. Again -- Good for them. I think it's neat seeing a variety of videos from different youtubers showing the game rather than just the expected big dogs.
Jeffrey Grubb appears to be a writer for VentureBeat.

I can't explain Fox Ribon though. It looks like he manufactured an identity and somehow Nintendo saw fit to give him one. Doesn't even have a website. That's odd.

I should have shoveled in a couple recent filler news stories and reviews on my website. Might've been able to convince Nintendo to send me a Switch.

Dystify

You forgot 10/10 Jeffrey Grubb

VentureBeat, no? That's there. If I forgot any other please tell me. :D

Also, VentureBeat appears to rate in a scale of 100... All the ratings in the image are already adjusted for how the sites rate. The ones with ?! don't give scores so I'll need to find a word for it...

speiky

In gamexplain discussion they mentioned running to the final boss immediately and i think saying it works. Just 100% expect to die just trying to get there.
SL1 says hi.
I'm sure we will some crazy fun stuff in the future.
Final boss beaten with 29 sticks lol.

giphy.gif

Hindl

This game may be the next Ocarina of Time as far as speedruns go if Nintendo doesn't go nuts with patches. Lots of exploit potential

Yeah I'm excited for that. Everyone talks about how polished and bug-free the game is, so I want to see what glitches and bugs break the game

Randomizer

Nice to Skyward Sword getting some love in here and other places around the web lately. It was an absolutely brilliant game. For a while it seems a loud vocal minority consisting mainly of motion control and Wii haters set the narrative that it was a bad game.

It has beautiful music, art design, visuals, great interesting combat, fun story with good characters, great bosses and dungeons. It had its problems to be sure, variety of locations and environments being the biggest flaw. It was quite easy and much too hand holdy at times. Don't get me wrong about the motion controls too. Whilst I have no problems getting them to work and do not in any way consider them broken, I did feel like they were unnecessarily tacked on in places. Flying the bird and using bombs were the biggest offenders. I like motion controls when they are used intuitively where it makes sense, not just for the sake of it. Anyway seems any flaws that SS had have now been addressed in BOTW, which is great.

Kinsei

Banned
Yeah, I'll be hanging out in the review topic, but I'm not reading any review text beyond what's highlighted in that thread until I'm finished with the game.

It's not wrong, though you have to
finish The Great Plateau first.

Same. I've seen enough so I'm just going to read the text blurb from each site.

DNAbro

SL1 says hi.
I'm sure we will some crazy fun stuff in the future.
Final boss beaten with 29 sticks lol.

Oh I'm 100% expecting people to be able to do it. Just majority of people who attempt it won't be able to do it, especially on the first try.

It was an absolutely brilliant game.

I want to start this off by saying that we're friends.

variety of locations and environments being the biggest flaw.

But, I have to disagree with this! It had a plethora of locations and variety, I felt. You had three core areas, but those areas had sub-areas; Faron Woods for example, which had Lake Floria. The desert, which had the initial area, the sandsea, the caverns, etc. The sky had Skyloft, Thunderhead, several smaller islands (Bamboo Island, Pumpkin Landing, etc). Then you account for the seven dungeons, each of which were pretty large with their own visual theme.

I wouldn't really say that it lacked locations or variety compared to other Zeldas. But maybe it's subjective somehow? Every time I replay it I'm always happy with the selection of locales and dungeons.

Joei

god damn I'm excited. Don't have a Switch pre-ordered and I can't do a midnight launch, and really don't have time to play a new game right now, but I am so excited for this release. Can not wait to read your guys' impressions.

god that game is great

You will give the people of GAF an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun, Skyward Sword.

The game had so many memorable moments, I cant wait for SS HD so I can relive them all. God I love this game.

Another one of my favorite scenes: https://youtu.be/Qmvzg1CdN4A

qREVRww.gif

;_;

Skyward Sword is an insult to life itself.

lcnUEoM.gif

Jobbs

Banned
No one should complain about Breath of the Wild's graphics now.

I think breath of the wild is beautiful.

Art direction, animation, and color selection are really king at this point. Horizon wows me primarily for these reasons, too, even though it's very impressive technically in addition to that.

I bought a Wii U when the intial BotW trailer dropped (the reveal).

I'm about to trade in my 3DS + Vita and anxiously await more stock for the Switch. I'm so weak for Zelda... 😓

speiky

Oh I'm 100% expecting people to be able to do it. Just majority of people who attempt it won't be able to do it, especially on the first try.
Could've left it majority of people trying to do it really :)

The possibilities with this game are mind boggling. I wonder what perfected 100% runs will clock at?

Because it's not as ugly as a game that came out a decade ago? I don't have a problem with how BotW looks but this doesn't make much sense.
I judge games by their lineage, not by other games with more advanced tool sets.
THAT doesn't make much sense.
(Breath of the Wild looks like what Skyward Sword should have)

Top Bottom