• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Who cares about the meta scores.

Its been 6 years since the last Mainline game, 10 for me since I skipped SS. Those spinoffs were aright, but I need my Console Zelda now.

Pineconn

If IGN doesn't give this a 10/10 after giving SS a 10/10 when everything coming out so far is so positive i'll lose my mind.

SS is not even close to a 10.

Richard George did the IGN SS review; Jose Otero is doing the IGN BotW review. Different people. For reference, Jose gave SS an 8.3 when he reviewed it for 1up.

That one and a couple others are really good. Too bad the rest of the soundtrack uses generic MIDI instruments

Way more than a couple. There's MIDI tracks but plenty of much better ones.

Romance Theme
Skyview Temple
Miniboss
Ancient Cistern
Skyloft
Fi's Theme
Boss theme
Loftwing? theme
Final Boss
Lanayru Sand Sea
Main theme
Ghirahim battle
Staff Roll
Scaldera battle

Those just came to mind immediately, I'm sure there's more. There were also MIDI tracks that were very, very good.

Jobbs

Banned
People with fewer subs on youtube than *I* have (which is almost nothing) somehow got Switches and Zelda to preview. I should have asked for one. :D

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Can you do this in the game

mQVlXxF.gif

If IGN doesn't give this a 10/10 after giving SS a 10/10 when everything coming out so far is so positive i'll lose my mind.

SS is not even close to a 10.

Jose Otero is reviewing Breath of the Wild. He didn't review Skyward Sword for IGN. He reviewed it for 1UP, where he gave it the equivalent of an 83%.

People need to stop treating review sites as some monolithic entity. Different reviewers score these games.

Whatever happened to actual good reviewers like Greg Kasavin???

He went and made Bastion and Transistor.

Richard George did the IGN SS review; Jose Otero is doing the IGN BotW review. Different people. For reference, Jose gave SS an 8.3 when he reviewed it for 1up.

^this!

I will never understand why some people demand for inter organizational consistency, or that somehow scores should be analyzed relatively. Different reviewers, social contexts, industry attitudes etc etc all affect a score that a game is given at the end of the day.

The obsession over metacritic is also similarly fascinating tbh as a junior member on Gaf who has never witnessed a game launch on this site before.

Digital Chumps preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH3SqY8Ujs4

(140 subs)

And this isn't salt, btw -- I'm glad they're paying attention to the little guys and I think their total saturation strategy is probably a good move on the whole.
They're also on Metacritic though: http://www.metacritic.com/publication/digital-chumps

So they're up there high enough to the point where they're receiving review copies of games and whatnot.

They look like a website first, and a YouTube channel second, third, or somewhere else at the bottom of the list. Just keep that in mind when you stumble upon low view count or subscriber count YouTube channels with a Switch. Their YouTube channel isn't indicative of their success as a website.

They've also managed to hit 1,479 reviews. That's pretty impressive. I only hit like 15 on my website before I gave up and stopped.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
People with fewer subs on youtube than *I* have (which is almost nothing) somehow got Switches and Zelda to preview. I should have asked for one. :D

I saw a channel with just a few hundred subscribers get a Switch. It's crazy.

Also I just need 24 hour updates from everyone playing that basically just say "It's still amazing"

Fantastical

Death Prophet
The obsession over MC is always insane to me... but you do you. I think it's been years since I actively participated in a review thread.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
I saw a channel with just a few hundred subscribers get a Switch. It's crazy.

Also I just need 24 hour updates from everyone playing that basically just say "It's still amazing"

Yeah I'd like some updated feelings on the game from all these guys gushing in the previews. Does that magic hold up the entire game or does it show most of its cards early?

Jobbs

Banned
They're also on Metacritic though: http://www.metacritic.com/publication/digital-chumps

So they're up there high enough to the point where they're receiving review copies of games and whatnot.

They look like a website first, and a YouTube channel second, third, or somewhere else at the bottom of the list. Just keep that in mind when you stumble upon low view count or subscriber count YouTube channels with a Switch. Their YouTube channel isn't indicative of their success as a website.

Jeffrey Grubb 2,263 subs
Fox Ribon 288 subs

I'm not sure what the requirements were but there didn't seem to be many, which I find surprising. Again -- Good for them. I think it's neat seeing a variety of videos from different youtubers showing the game rather than just the expected big dogs.

I try to read/watch any interview with Aonuma, Miyamoto or Fujibayashi on this game that I can. It is just so fascinating to me that Nintendo said "you know what? Let's make an open world game".

I've never been more interested in the story behind a game than I have been for BOTW

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Yeah I'd like some updated feelings on the game from all these guys gushing in the previews. Does that magic hold up the entire game or does it show most of its cards early?

I guess technically they're not allowed to say anything. The embargo only covers the first 5 hours but you can tell from the impressions, Twitter posts, and podcast chatter that they're speaking to more than the 5 hours.

DNAbro

Eiji said you could
fight Ganon immediately but I'm thinking that's probably wrong.

In gamexplain discussion they mentioned running to the final boss immediately and i think saying it works. Just 100% expect to die just trying to get there.

I'm actually worried reviews are going to reveal too much. kind of don't even want to look at them before I'm deep in the game.

Yeah, I'll be hanging out in the review topic, but I'm not reading any review text beyond what's highlighted in that thread until I'm finished with the game.

Eiji said you could
fight Ganon immediately but I'm thinking that's probably wrong.

It's not wrong, though you have to
finish The Great Plateau first.

Dremorak

Banned
I'm actually worried reviews are going to reveal too much. kind of don't even want to look at them before I'm deep in the game.

Just look for the numbers. I can almost guarantee it'll look like binary.

1010101010101010101010101010109(damn it IGN! You had one job!)

Jobbs

Banned

BaconHat

Why is Link right handed if it has a standard control scheme?

Because we lefties can't have nice things.

In reality, they probably decided after twilight princess and skyward sword that link being left handed was not needed anymore. Which is a shame, since it was fun having a left handed hero like myself.

Top Bottom