• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

hypotc

Do we know if when you die, you respawn with all the weapons you had before you died?

I'm just imagining it being quite tedious going into a boss fight with 30 swords, using 28 of them, getting killed, and then respawning with only 2 left :/

I hope we get the Master Sword, and I hope its durability is beyond infinity!

disgstd.gif

They were absolutely among the best.

B00TE

Haven't been able to stop myself from looking at the spoiler free previews on YouTube all weekend. I can't wait to have the soundtrack in some form, I'm loving what I've been hearing of it.

Verder

Tf is with all the skyward sword hate?

WE GOT GROOSE
BEST ZELDA
BEST DUNGEONS
BEST COMBAT (when done correctly)

The more important part tho
. that last battle with Demise was some samurai showdown shit when done correctly and I will always love it . And groose

Jobbs

Banned
Well, yeah, if you're gonna ignore all the puzzles, that's true for every Zelda dungeon.

I think part of what has made Zelda dungeons feel kind of contrived and tedious to some of us is the overly formulaic nature. Each dungeon has an item it's based around -- You get the item then do all the things in the dungeon, and the item may be of limited use outside of the dungeon. As egoraptor said -- there's nothing exciting about predicting what's going to happen and what you're going to get and how something is going to work. That's not discovery.

I think part of what has made Zelda dungeons feel kind of contrived and tedious to some of us is the overly formulaic nature. Each dungeon has an item it's based around -- You get the item then do all the things in the dungeon, and the item may be of limited use outside of the dungeon. As egoraptor said -- there's nothing exciting about predicting what's going to happen and what you're going to get and how something is going to work. That's not discovery.

This is definitely true and the Zelda formula has needed a change for a looooong time, but as far as the standard 3D Zelda dungeon blueprint is concerned, Skyward Sword is among the very best.

But THANK GOD BotW isn't following in its footsteps.

Can't really stand Egoraptor, though.

ASIS

Except when you get items outside the dungeon. Or when you use the items in unique and creative ways. To me, it is discovery and great design.

You still have to figure your way through and explore the dungeons regardless if the puzzles or obstacles mostly ends with finding a key. It's still absolutely discovery; then again some people try to tell me with a straight face that Skyward Sword has no exploration, and we're quoting Egoraptor now to boot.

ffdgh

What he said was absolutely true. Some may have different favorite but SS easily ranks among the top.
Ehh...No strong feelings for any of them aside from the ones in Lanayu desert. Those were great. I really should finish SS sometime.

Kinsei

Banned
I always dreamed about exploring the WW's underwater Hyrule. Seeing all those mountains and plains stretching into the distance around the castle. BotW is that dream brought to reality.

Below the sea in WW was such a let down. It's incredibly obvious that you were meant to explore it to reach some dungeons but it was cut for time.

Ehh...No strong feelings for any of them aside from the ones in Lanayu desert. Those were great. I really should finish SS sometime.

The last few dungeons, and especially the last dungeon are just fucking bugnuts. Last dungeon is just brilliant. I mean, there's no discovery and you just waltz in and open a door with a key, but it's still brilliant.

ASIS

Your bias is clouding your judgement. What's that? Preferences and different opinions? Pfffft. SS having some of the best dungeons is a fact, silly!

Seriously though, go back and play them. They are really good.

DNAbro

The Sand Sea is probably my favorite designed area in any game. Timestone mechanic was brilliant. Skyward Sword has a lot going for it.

Hoping BotW surpasses though.

All this talk about dungeons makes me wish Nintendo made Zelda sidegames that only involved solving dungeons.

With BotW and the ability to glide through the air makes me want a Zelda racing game based on the gliding mechanic.

They were absolutely among the best.

I can't think of an overall better lineup of dungeons in the series. Fire Sanctuary, Ancient Cistern, Lanayru Mining Facility, Sky Keep and Sandship are god tier and that's like most of them.

What he said was absolutely true. Some may have different favorite but SS easily ranks among the top.

Are you all really saying that the dungeons in Skyward Sword are superior to the dungeons in Ocarina Of Time, the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess?!?

I know we're just basing this off our personal opinions - but come on - Skyward Sword had maybe 3 "great" dungeons.

Kinsei

Banned
All this talk about dungeons makes me wish Nintendo made Zelda sidegames that only involved solving dungeons.

With BotW and the ability to glide through the air makes me want a Zelda racing game based on the gliding mechanic.

Triforce heroes is all dungeons. You just need two others to actually enjoy it.

Never cared for SS'S dungeons outside of the desert ones (and even out of those two I'd say only Sandship is particularly great).

Still stunned at how beyond cookiecutter the first two are and I don't think the Fire Sanctuary was interesting enough to warrant a second fire dungeon.

I always dreamed about exploring the WW's underwater Hyrule. Seeing all those mountains and plains stretching into the distance around the castle. BotW is that dream brought to reality.

Same. I've always wondered if some of the cut dungeons were related to that... :(

Master, I predict with 95% probability that you'll wake up in a cold sweat.

*sweats*

Jobbs

Banned
You still have to figure your way through and explore the dungeons regardless if the puzzles or obstacles mostly ends with finding a key. It's still absolutely discovery; then again some people try to tell me with a straight face that Skyward Sword has no exploration, and we're quoting Egoraptor now to boot.

I'm old enough to remember playing The Legend of Zelda with my older brothers. I remember staring at screenshots and looking at the artwork and the map and wondering what was out there. It really felt like anything was possible.

In the 3D era, it never once felt like anything was possible. It felt like I was at a theme park, as a celebrated guest, and the game was guiding me through it. It felt like a tour of what it might look like to explore and discover things, but I'm not really doing it. The game designers were on my shoulder the whole time.

I know this is partly a me thing, and I just like my exploration-focused games to feel indifferent to me. I think that's what makes them seem alive and important -- That they feel like they'd go on existing even if I wasn't there. Dark Souls in 2011 is what turned me back on to video games. It was the first game that recaptured that childhood feeling of anything being possible.

I'm super excited for BOTW because it really looks like they've learned from their many mistakes.

Top Bottom