• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

The Sand Sea is probably my favorite designed area in any game. Timestone mechanic was brilliant. Skyward Sword has a lot going for it.

Hoping BotW surpasses though.

Genuine question: what exactly is it about the Sand Sea that blows people's minds? I mean, once you get over the (admittedly extremely cool) visual effect of sailing over sand that continuously becomes water, it's kind of a small area with just a few enemies and exploding barrels here and there. Are people including the Pirate Ship dungeon when they mention the Sand Sea?

Not to disparage people's opinions, but it's something I just don't understand why people think it's so incredible, and I think there are better parts of the Lanayru Desert that much more effectively use the Timeshift Stones.

JaseMath

Genuine question: what exactly is it about the Sand Sea that blows people's minds? I mean, once you get over the (admittedly extremely cool) visual effect of sailing over sand that continuously becomes water, it's kind of a small area with just a few enemies and exploding barrels here and there. Are people including the Pirate Ship dungeon when they mention the Sand Sea?

Not to disparage people's opinions, but it's something I just don't understand why people think it's so incredible, and I think there are better parts of the Lanayru Desert that much more effectively use the Timeshift Stones.

It's that fucking music.

Kthulhu

Tingle's Voyage.

255px-FPTRRcover.png

Kinda curious as well. Sandship is a great dungeon but otherwise...eh.

Wine Waker had the worst dungeons in a 3d for sure though.

People rag on them for their linearity but I think the setpieces/atmosphere were enough to render them pretty great.

Tower of the Gods and Wind Temple are just amazing in that regard. Always get that musty feel from those two.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I love the super spoiler added to the spoiler thread
It was probably done sarcastically but its still hilarious

elithrar

Are there any details on how long the game is? Mass Effect games are 25-40 hours long, depending on how much of a completionist you are. Pillars of Eternity is 50-80+ hours, Skyrim about the same.

ASIS

Are you all really saying that the dungeons in Skyward Sword are superior to the dungeons in Ocarina Of Time, the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess?!?

I know we're just basing this off our personal opinions - but come on - Skyward Sword had maybe 3 "great" dungeons.
Yes.

Astral Dog

Kinda curious as well. Sandship is a great dungeon but otherwise...eh.

People rag on them for their linearity but I think the setpieces/atmosphere were enough to render them pretty great.

Tower of the Gods and Wind Temple are just amazing in that regard. Always get that musty feel from those two.
Wind Waker had some classics for sure. From helping Valoo kill a gigantic centipede . Exploring an ancient tower made for the gods. Rescuing Makar from a weird cave-like forest,returning to kill thd giant bird that kidnaped your sister and the Wind temple was very good too.

hughesta

Banned
I think TP has my least favorite dungeons in a 3D Zelda. WW is on the lower end but I wouldn't call them bad

Both Makar dungeons are fantastic.

I keep editing this post but I guess my best dungeon order would be

SS > MM > OOT > WW > TP

Are you all really saying that the dungeons in Skyward Sword are superior to the dungeons in Ocarina Of Time, the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess?!?

I know we're just basing this off our personal opinions - but come on - Skyward Sword had maybe 3 "great" dungeons.
Ancient Cistern is probably my favorite dungeon in the series. The concept, design, execution and boss for the entire dungeon was spot on. I recall the dungeons being fun, different, refreshing and atmospheric. I'd say the cream of the crop for 3D Zelda dungeons for me are these:

OoT- Shadow Temple, Spirit Temple

MM- Stone Tower (the rest are the most forgettable in the series)

TWW- Tower of the God's, Earth Temple

TP- Goron Mines, Lakebed Temple, Arbiter's Grounds, Snowpeak Ruins, and City in the Sky

SS- Lanayru Mining Facility, Ancient Cistern, Sandship and Skykeep.

DNAbro

There is a quite a few things though it's is kind of hard to say exactly why it worked so well. I literally can't think of one area in any other game that blew my mind just from the concept of what was happening. It just tickles my imagination for whatever reason. The music and visual effect do play a big part on why it does so. Mechanically it might not be the best thing ever, but from a conceptual design standpoint I absolutely adore the idea of it.

Also yes, I include the Pirate Ship and everything in the surrounding area.

NewGame

Banned
Are there any details on how long the game is? Mass Effect games are 25-40 hours long, depending on how much of a completionist you are. Pillars of Eternity is 50-80+ hours, Skyrim about the same.

Estimates vary, remember that it was stated in e3 that you could 'go to the final area of the game' immediately after leaving the starting area.

So basically you can 1v1 ganon as naked link holding a stick? idk but maybe.

ASIS

I actually don't play Zelda for the dungeons, more so the world and characters
Skyward Sword has great characters, but the world is certainly unique. Great for a one time thing but I wouldn't have been happy if they kept splitting the world like that.

Hindl

I'll spoiler it in case people don't want to know. Doing just the main quest (not rush straight to Hyrule Castle, but complete all the story stuff only) takes
20 hours
according to Edge. But obviously between the fact that you can technically go straight to the final boss, while at the same time spend all your time exploring the world, your actual time will differ wildly. I could see non-glitch speedruns being completed in 3-4 hours, while 100% taking well over 300

ncslamm

I'll spoiler it in case people don't want to know. Doing just the main quest (not rush straight to Hyrule Castle, but complete all the story stuff only) takes
20 hours
according to Edge. But obviously between the fact that you can technically go straight to the final boss, while at the same time spend all your time exploring the world, your actual time will differ wildly. I could see non-glitch speedruns being completed in 3-4 hours, while 100% taking well over 300

This may be one game I never get 100% but still try to do it. I'm probably going to need the guide to find everything.

Finally caught up. Whoever music blessed posted that yo soul and may god please bless gamexplain soul! That botw battle music made me feel like I just heard some alien music or some shit that song was WONDERFUL!!!

20 hours

To give a perhaps more typical experience another preview (can't remember where from) said it took them 25 hours to reach the first dungeon

Its not the worst but i was expecting a Mario Galaxy tier soundtrack becuase thats what they led me to believe and this is far. Far from it.

The music from the trailers in BoTW are awesome though. Thats more like it.

To be fair I dont think any Zelda has gotten the Galaxy treatment :p That was some otherworldly (no pun intended) stuff.

Hindl

To give a perhaps more typical experience another preview (can't remember where from) said it took them 25 hours to reach the first dungeon

That was Dan Ryckert from Giant Bomb, and that's slightly incorrect. It's not that it took him 25 hours to get to the first dungeon, it's that he was having so much fun just fucking around in the overworld that the thought hadn't occurred to him to find a dungeon until he was 25 hours in

I pretty sure that was GB and that was because they said they kept getting side tracked, so most likely they could have gotten to the first dungeon a lot sooner.

I pretty sure that was GB and that was because they said they kept getting side tracked, so most likely they could have gotten to the first dungeon a lot sooner.
Well you can go straight to the boss. Its possible the game is 5 mins.

Everyone will play this game different. A more normal playthrough yeah it could probably take 20 hours to get to one dungeon.

I'm old enough to remember playing The Legend of Zelda with my older brothers. I remember staring at screenshots and looking at the artwork and the map and wondering what was out there. It really felt like anything was possible.

In the 3D era, it never once felt like anything was possible.

I had this feeling while reading Nintendo Power articles about Ocarina of Time during the 64DD days that never came to pass. So I get that. But, I don't agree with what you're saying about the 3D games, they had just as much exploration and "discovery" as any of the others. But BOTW does seem to have the craziest level of that so far.

Well you can go straight to the boss. Its possible the game is 5 mins.

Everyone will play this game different. A more normal playthrough yeah it could probably take 20 hours to get to one dungeon.

They said you can get to the last boss but you will not be able to beat him until you have better weapons and armor.

Alright, I'll admit it.

I named Link, Zelda once. English was not my first language and I thought Link was Zelda.

Edit: Not Wrong thread. I just have nothing to do right now, but wait for BOTW

Top Bottom