• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

arlucool

Is there a link to the video?
Given people reactions, I'm scared to give you a direct link, haha. The name of the youtuber is runJDrun, search his channel.
For a little context, that giant barrel is in the Plateau, seens nobody had notice: If anything, that's the less spoilery area of the game.

Tyeforce

Maybe a super safe/media black out/ wake me up in March 3 thread should be made.
I guess that could be done, but why are people who are on a self-imposed "media blackout" reading and/or posting about the game on a gaming forum like this to begin with? Isn't that, like, defeating the whole purpose of a media blackout? lol If you're that sensitive to what may be "spoilers" then participating in threads like this of any kind online is going to be a risk for you regardless.

Avoiding absolutely all spoilers is gonna be mighty difficult for the next few days. You better have them skills.

LRZwzN5.gif

what-ok

I think the spoiler thread is for spoilers and the preview thread is for previews. What the definition of each of those is very subjective. The only guarantee of not being let down by your personal definition of what's appropriate may require one to avoid threads with BOTW in the title at this point.

error4041

Goddamn it—this is the shit everyone in here is talking about! I didn't know this and I didn't want to know.
Actually I haven't been following spoilers that much, (just this thread for the most part) I just assumed bottles weren't in the game due to the fact you craft potions and elixers and it's just limited by inventory space.

so bottles could still be in the game, but I'm not sure what purpose they would serve.

Or you could be sarcastic, but I'm assuming not.

I'm old enough to remember playing The Legend of Zelda with my older brothers. I remember staring at screenshots and looking at the artwork and the map and wondering what was out there. It really felt like anything was possible.

In the 3D era, it never once felt like anything was possible. It felt like I was at a theme park, as a celebrated guest, and the game was guiding me through it. It felt like a tour of what it might look like to explore and discover things, but I'm not really doing it. The game designers were on my shoulder the whole time.

I know this is partly a me thing, and I just like my exploration-focused games to feel indifferent to me. I think that's what makes them seem alive and important -- That they feel like they'd go on existing even if I wasn't there. Dark Souls in 2011 is what turned me back on to video games. It was the first game that recaptured that childhood feeling of anything being possible.

I'm super excited for BOTW because it really looks like they've learned from their many mistakes.

This reminded me of what Stephen Totilo wrote in his preview, avowedly from the perspective of someone who's quite fond of the 'formula' of Zelda's 3D era:
http://kotaku.com/early-impressions-of-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-1792716002
My emotional journey over my first four hours of playing the new Zelda: liked it, grew skeptical of it, doubted it, regained appreciation, now hooked on it. If you love the Zelda formula you may take this same ride when you start playing The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, which comes out for Wii U and Nintendo Switch next week. I've only played a paltry bit of this gargantuan game, so I cannot tell you how that journey may end...

If you, like me, are a fan of many recent Zeldas, you expect an authored experience, something that feels laid out by a designer's hand. Zelda games are the opposite of all of gaming's randomly generated content. Their landscapes are intentional, their pathways paved purposefully... In those opening hours, my worry grew as it began to feel too random to feel like Zelda...

My doubt faded. My sense that this world was as random as it initially appeared melted. There was a designer's hand all over this place, just more subtly... I've gotten back on the road then wandered off it. Little things keep catching my eye, and when I approach a suspicious hut or a curious chain or an odd ridge, I'm usually rewarded with a puzzle of sorts. This wild world has definitely been hand-shaped...

7roject28

Motherfuckers need to stop adding gifs of new stuff here. I didn't know Link could do that and didn't want to know.

What's so spoiler about barrel hiding? Then Nintendo shouldn't have shown the kite and that you can glide with it. Or they shouldn't have shown that you can pick up any weapon and use it. Windwaker did all that stuff also. That's not considered spoiler. Maybe they shouldn't have shown the game at all and just say.....

Zelda
Please be excite
March 3rd 2017.

LotusHD

Banned
I think the spoiler thread is for spoilers and the preview thread is for previews. What the definition of each of those is very subjective. The only guarantee of not being let down by your personal definition of what's appropriate may require one to avoid threads with BOTW in the title at this point.

Essentially. Like we got so much "worse" stuff that was posted in past pages, and yet no one said anything. Then I see arguably minor stuff like the barrels, but apparently that's too much. At the end of the day, everyone's gonna have their opinion on what counts, but since it's a preview thread, the majority of what's been shown is ultimately fair game.

I'm not bothered by anyone overhyping it. You kidding? I'm stoked for Zelda. Looks sick. I was just simply saying Edge is full of shit in my view since they're biased over Zelda and anything Nintendo so I'm not taking their review seriously,
I know this guy is gone from the thread and all but I just wanted to get this out.

You think Edge is full of shit, but you believe the 9 it gave Nioh anyways?

Pif

Banned
Avoiding absolutely all spoilers is gonna be mighty difficult for the next few days. You better have them skills.

LRZwzN5.gif

I never understood if this was a "joke" fight or not.

I mean, if this was real, why just doesn't the black dude punch forward for body hits? The other one is in the corner and is a big mofo, a bit hard to miss...

But it describes the spoiler dodging situation brilliantly.

ASIS

Saying that Skyward Sword has the best dungeons in any Zelda game is a little bit silly. It has a couple great ones, but that's it.

This is all purely subjective and based on personal opinions, mind you.
I understand this is your opinion, but so far you have completely failed at providing any arguments outside of "really? SS?"

In short, I'd like to hear your opinion why you think SS doesn't rank among the top in terms of dungeons?

mStudios

I never understood if this was a "joke" fight or not.

I mean, if this was real, why just doesn't the black dude punch forward for body hits? The other one is in the corner and is a big mofo, a bit hard to miss...

But it describes the spoiler dodging situation brilliantly.

he's looking for a KO punch.

Jobbs

Banned
What is non-spoilery if even the smallest gameplay mechanic is a spoiler at this point? I'm totally perplexed at what else there is to talk about if we can't discuss some of the preview content being released right now.

then go to the spoiler thread

What is non-spoilery if even the smallest gameplay mechanic is a spoiler at this point? I'm totally perplexed at what else there is to talk about if we can't discuss some of the preview content being released right now.
Who knows.. honestly it wasnt that bad. But the closer I get the less I want to know. I done made it this far without seeing some crazy stuff I dont want to see, I can wait a few more days and experienece this game like the reviewrs. I want what they got. They didnt see all this, they jumped in and got BLESSED!

edit: And yeah if its bothering people then just go in the spoiler thread. Idk how yall hoping between the two if I was in the spoiler thread I go in there and never come back lol

Branduil

Why should people who want to discuss preview stuff from the previews leave the preview thread and go into the spoiler thread where they will actually get spoiled, instead of people who don't want to see anything from the game not, you know, going into a thread where people are talking about previews of the game.

LotusHD

Banned
then go to the spoiler thread

edit: And yeah if its bothering people then just go in the spoiler thread. Idk how yall hoping between the two if I was in the spoiler thread I go in there and never come back lol

How y'all gonna tell people that are just simply enjoying the preview GIFs and what not to go into the spoiler thread, especially when there's now actual story spoilers in there. :|

It'd be like if someone told y'all to actually go on that media blackout you're supposedly on if the GIFs in here are apparently too much.
Except it would make much more sense...

spekkeh

Banned
I think it's fine to discuss things from the previews here, but it's pretty clear a number of the video previewers didn't really stick to the five hour embargo, leading a lot of us to not know whether the preview is something we want to see or not. Especially mechanistic things are starting to veer in spoiler territory.

I think in doubt, just spoiler tag it. If you have story stuff, gtfo anyway.

If you don't want to discuss content from previews... what do you expect to get out of this thread?
I have to do SOMETHING while I wait. Reading about the game is something atleast a little excited. I can't stop thinking about the game. I need to pass the time. AAHH! I'm more hyped about just exploring the Great Plateau than I am all other games coming out this year. I'm so sick of waiting.

Preview content is fair game in a preview thread.

How y'all gonna tell people that are just simply enjoying the preview GIFS and what not to go into the spoiler thread, especially when there's now actual story spoilers in there. :|

It'd be like if someone told y'all to actually go on that media blackout you're supposedly on if the GIFs in here are apparently too much.
Except it would make much more sense...
People gon get gif happy thats what im thinking.

All it takes is one uninformed indvidual seeing some new gifs and then somebody put the gif of the goron and link sleeping together and hell break loose

Anth0ny

i've never seen so much sensitivity towards "spoilers" in my life. jesus.

if you're so scared of seeing things like link doing stealth with a barrel, stay out of the zelda threads. or stay off the internet/social media. it's not hard. i did it for skyward sword. and here's a spoiler for you: that game still sucked even though I avoided media from the game at all costs.

it's really not a big deal.

ubiblu

i've never seen so much sensitivity towards "spoilers" in my life. jesus.

if you're so scared of seeing things like link doing stealth with a barrel, stay out of the zelda threads. or stay off the internet/social media. it's not hard. i did it for skyward sword. and here's a spoiler for you: that game still sucked even though I avoided media from the game at all costs.

it's really not a big deal.

Here' s a thought: don't post gifs, just links. Seems super simple and doesn't make you look like a dickbag trying to justify what 'you' consider to be a spoiler.

Why should people who want to discuss preview stuff from the previews leave the preview thread and go into the spoiler thread where they will actually get spoiled, instead of people who don't want to see anything from the game not, you know, going into a thread where people are talking about previews of the game.
This sentence is as bad as Zelda's Skyward Sword hair.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Spoiler: Zelda is in this game.

Here' s a thought: don't post gifs, just links. Seems super simple and doesn't make you look like a dickbag trying to justify what 'you' consider to be a spoiler.
Seriously.

It wasnt even a spoiler to me but I care about my co habitants in this thread and we getting close. Yall should chill on trying to dictate what is aint a spoiler and go to the spoiler thread since yall so trill

Nanashrew

Banned
I'm not sure how finding a barrel is a spoiler though... And people have rightfully pointed out spoiler warnings when linking to some preview footage on some who may have broken a bit of embargo.

A Barrel is nothing. There are a lot of barrels in the game, some with gunpowder in them to blow up, others just simple barrels.

ubiblu

I would say it's as bad as people getting upset about being "spoiled" seeing a mechanic that's been in Metal Gear games since 1998(and was also in Wind Waker, a previous Zelda game).

It's not a spoiler in the conventional sense, but at the same time, a game that is praised for its freedom and discovery usually suggests that the less that is known about the physics and mechanics, the more creative and engrossing solutions may be when you come up with them yourself.

What can I do with that barrel? Can I throw it? Can I hide in it? Can I roll it? You take away some of the discovery from someone when you detail it explicitly. Showing discretion by not posting gifs is a fundamentally basic task.

Like others, I'm just here for the endless praise and hyperbole.

Top Bottom