• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Nessus

Never cared for SS'S dungeons outside of the desert ones (and even out of those two I'd say only Sandship is particularly great).

The time travel mechanic from the sandship is what the entire game should have been based around.

Without it the game felt a little uninspired relying solely on the Wii Motion+ stuff.

Aldric

The time travel mechanic from the sandship is what the entire game should have been based around.

Without it the game felt a little uninspired relying solely on the Wii Motion+ stuff.

The desert is by far the best area in the game. lf everything else had been as good then the game would have been fantastic.

NewGame

Banned
It's bigger than Skyrim, plays better than Skyrim and probably has more variety than Skyrim. and is better designed in general than Skyrim. I'd imagine Skyrim would be a joke compared to this game currently.

Others trying to back up their terrible buggy WRPG in this thread, don't let it get you down- we get to have the new Morrowind of the generation and they get to have a big sook about it!

kylepxs5k.gif

AddiF

Still wondering what these carving that was added to Twilight Princess HD means in the context of BotW:

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-hd-will-link-to-the-wii-u-game-but-what-s-happen-919611.jpg

The Gorons were showing the Link family a new hit TV series, about the legendary Triforce, titled "The Legend of the Triforce". Mother Link wanted to know more, as she was intrigued by the plot and was especially interested in the episode "Fifty shades of Green" but Father Link was not amused. He was worried. Weird romance, excessive violence. "Television is the true evil of our minds, not Ganon". Child Link was excited, he wanted to be like the hero. He wanted to slay hundreds of evil creatures and terrorize chickens.

Later, Father Link was trying to stop Child Link from burning grass on their land. He was ruining crop and burning all the apple trees. Father Link, sadly, was burnt himself and was reduced to ashes. Mother Link and Child Link were walking up to the graveyard when they stumbled upon a Flock of Seagulls. Mother Link told them their story, how TV corrupted the mind of Child Link but back in her own mind, she was still stuck on Fifty shades of Green. She was corrupted too. The Seagull Men listened on, "No way! Whoa!", "Tell us more! MORE!" they said, and Mother Link was really excited someone would listen to her stories. Really excited. Too excited. All Child Link could think of, was breaking his fathers' urn to check for Rupees or hearts.

Nine months later, a weird Bird-Child was born to the Link Family and somehow Father Link emerged from a secret Reincarnation cave up in the mountains. Mother Link was so terrified to see Zombie Father Link, and to be honest, didn't want to explain Bird-Child to him, that she ran away and was never seen again. Zombie Father Link and Child Link continued their lives, went out for a walk with the Bird-Child when they met an old friend, Fishman. "EW! A zombie!", he screamed and was about to stab the zombie with a spear. "No, no. It's me! Father Link!". They cheered and laughed together and Bird Child flapped its wings in joy. A happy family with a fishy friend. Suddenly a flying head appeared out of nowhere and nobody knew who that was but who cares, it was cool and chill. Child Link wanted to kill it, though.

--- ... Friday can't come soon enough, sigh.

Aldric

Small update from the french press: the reviewer from Le Monde thinks Breath of the Wild is better than Witcher 3.

Any words on HD Rumble? I know it wasn't Nintendo's focus for this game, but is there something? Does it at least work better than the Wii U Gamepad rumble?

Piggus

Any words on HD Rumble? I know it wasn't Nintendo's focus for this game, but is there something? Does it at least work better than the Wii U Gamepad rumble?

The Wii U gamepad's rumble is pretty shite, so it must be better in some way. There are lots of little ways they could use the HD rumble in this game, but we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Sigh... It's going to be a long week.

Others trying to back up their terrible buggy WRPG in this thread, don't let it get you down- we get to have the new Morrowind of the generation and they get to have a big sook about it!

The people who are apparently "having a big sook" get to enjoy and appreciate both games for what they accomplish. Skyrim is over five years old and is completely different from Zelda, so I'm not even sure why it's being brought up.

The Wii U gamepad's rumble is pretty shite, so it must be better in some way. There are lots of little ways they could use the HD rumble in this game, but we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Sigh... It's going to be a long week.

Seriously, I had to turn it off for every game beacuse it's the worst I've ever experienced.

correojon

The desert is by far the best area in the game. lf everything else had been as good then the game would have been fantastic.

I agre that the desert was fantastic, but the game had other highlights as well. For example, Ancient Cistern was awesome (and it had the best boss fight outside of Demise) and the sky dungeon was a masterclass in level design. I do believe the game has some pacing issues, but it´s still a masterpiece for me.

KooopaKid

Banned
Small update from the french press: the reviewer from Le Monde thinks Breath of the Wild is better than Witcher 3.

Not a huge feat gameplay wise but still nice to have confirmation.
It was a given Zelda would be at the very least the best playable and mechanically varied open-world game
ever

it's funny, i looked back through an old thread where someone posited that the sheikah slate was some kind of electronic (right), probably a gamepad (wrong), and people were laughing at them lmao
Looks like a book not a tablet IMO.
Doesn't look like a controller or a screen at all.
This is the longest reach ive ever seen based on an image.
I don't know how you look at that and think "tablet controller." That's pretty plainly a magic book to me.
How the fuck does that look like a tablet?
That's a book OP.
lol

It's bigger than Skyrim, plays better than Skyrim and probably has more variety than Skyrim. and is better designed in general than Skyrim. I'd imagine Skyrim would be a joke compared to this game currently.

Skyrim is a joke compared to just about anything though, to be fair.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
People shouldn't compare Skyrim and Zelda directly in terms of what's better or worse, especially since we still don't know all that much about Zelda. Two different beasts...

... Well, except for pure gameplay of course. It's no secret that Skyrim's base gameplay is its weak point compared to other RPGs and open-world games like the Souls games, Dragon's Dogma and, most likely, the new Zelda game. It's arguably much less refined, more clunky, less varied and less satisfying than the gameplay of those games. But that shouldn't be a surprise, and that doesn't make it an inferior game as a whole - although it's certainly not my thing. The point of Skyrim isn't its gameplay mechanics.

Aldric

I agre that the desert was fantastic, but the game had other highlights as well. For example, Ancient Cistern was awesome (and it had the best boss fight outside of Demise) and the sky dungeon was a masterclass in level design. I do believe the game has some pacing issues, but it´s still a masterpiece for me.

Ancient Cistern is the most overrated dungeon in the entire series. lt's mechanically uninteresting and has the worst item in the game. Yes the boss is fantastic but you don't judge an entire dungeon on its boss.

Branduil

Cuningas de Häme;231106928 said:
People comparing new games to Skyrim most likely forget that Skyrim probs influenced these newer games A LOT...

I'm sure it did, although it seems like Far Cry 2 was a bigger influence on BotW, as well as survival games like Minecraft.

Greddleok

I'm sure it did, although it seems like Far Cry 2 was a bigger influence on BotW, as well as survival games like Minecraft.

Yup, which is so weird. FC2 is such a cult classic that tons of people hated, but those that love it, hold it up as one of the greatest games of its type.

Maybe they didn't realise they were going down the FC2 hole, and just thought "how do we make Skyrim, but a good version of that?" and came out with FC2xZelda.

PrimeBeef

People comparing new games to Skyrim most likely forget that Skyrim probs influenced these newer games A LOT...
It did some good, some bad. As far as an ES game it pales in comparison to Morrowind and Oblivion IMO. I think it was a lot of style over substance.

NewGame

Banned

If anything the climbing mechanic reminds me of Daggerfall more than anything else.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'm working the nightshift Thursdsy night and finish at 6am. I've asked to be woken up as soon as the Switch arrives regardless of what the time is. I'm also working Friday night. Fuck sleep. Zelda more important.

Peltz

I thought Skyward Sword was slightly better than Twilight Princess,mostly due to the combat,wich was a love/hate thing but much better than the braindead of TP. It had a strong main town and the graphics looked cool for the Wii.

But neither of those are real classics like the other 3D Zeldas imo

I thought Skyward Sword was better than Majoras Mask honestly.

PrimeBeef

Bokogoblins are dumb

I dunno, saw a video of one trying to shove a bomb off a platform before it explodes. :p I know that's the AI. I don't recall hearing people complain about enemies not noticing large cardboard boxes moving in MGS games, or how there always seems to be something you need to take out a new enemy type all the time in like every game ever made.

PrimeBeef

I think how journalists are describing it is the revealing part. Usually it's like 'yeah, it's pretty good BUUUUUUT' then goes onto lists lots of complaints. There's also usually 1 dissenter that pisses off everyone, but one hasn't revealed themselves yet...maybe.

Hell the notorious hard to please German reviewers seem to be giving it glowing praise as well. Gamepro Germany gave it a 94, their second highest score ever. This game has been getting universal praise like no other game. I do not understand why people are so hesitant to believe it.

PrimeBeef

So there isn't really a Switch megathread and I'm not sure where to ask this. Has there been any news on the standby feature of the Switch and how it compares to Vita? Can I suspend the game and continue where I was later with little to no battery being used up like Vita?

You can save at any time and it take like 2 seconds to load. Not sure about any standby features. It does have a sleep mode.

Hell the notorious hard to please German reviewers seem to be giving it glowing praise as well. Gamepro Germany gave it a 94, their second highest score ever. This game has been getting universal praise like no other game. I do not understand why people are so hesitant to believe it.

Are there more German previews? I must admit my gaming input is basically GAF nowadays so I don't know which german sites to visit...

Branduil

I think it's funny how Bokoblins didn't exist until Wind Waker, and yet now they're easily accepted as the staple mook of the Zelda series. It's rare for a series to just adopt a completely new "face" mook 16 years later and have it stick. Like, imagine trying to replace goombas in Mario games- it wouldn't work.

I suppose octoroks were the default mook in the 2D games, but their moveset didn't translate to 3D spaces very well. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask opted for diverse ensembles of enemy minions rather than any one default type, creating a void for Bokoblins to fill the face role in Wind Waker.

I think it's funny how Bokoblins didn't exist until Wind Waker, and yet now they're easily accepted as the staple mook of the Zelda series. It's rare for a series to just adopt a completely new "face" mook 16 years later and have it stick. Like, imagine trying to replace goombas in Mario games- it wouldn't work.

I suppose octoroks were the default mook in the 2D games, but their moveset didn't translate to 3D spaces very well. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask opted for diverse ensembles of enemy minions rather than any one default type, creating a void for Bokoblins to fill the face role in Wind Waker.

Well, most of the the other humanoid mooks were rather large, save maybe the Lizafos. It was a niche that hadn't been filled yet, and honestly, I just thought of them more as mini-Moblins, which they sort of are.

Mario Sunshine actually did replace Goombas...with Strollin' Stus.

Strollin%27_Stu.png

It's also the weakest 3D Mario game. Coincidence? I think not.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'm working the nightshift Thursdsy night and finish at 6am. I've asked to be woken up as soon as the Switch arrives regardless of what the time is. I'm also working Friday night. Fuck sleep. Zelda more important.

I'm working this Thursday night as well (7P-7A) but after that I have the next 4 days off. When the doorbell rings I'll be up, no matter the time.

Branduil

Well, most of the the other humanoid mooks were rather large, save maybe the Lizafos. It was a niche that hadn't been filled yet, and honestly, I just thought of them more as mini-Moblins, which they sort of are.

Yeah, I suppose that unlike Mario, where the enemies were explicitly the foot-soldiers of Bowser's army, in the original Zelda the enemies mostly resemble wild, untamed monsters who has just sprung up as a result of Ganon's evil spreading. It goes along with the series theme of Ganon being an archetype of pure evil whose presence corrupts the land itself.

Ganon becoming an actual human in Ganondorf changed this a bit; presumably he also had an army of footsoldiers in OoT, considering he was a prince(the Gerudos?), but they don't really come into contact with Link. With Wind Waker they needed enemies who actually have the manual dexterity to operate machinery and boats, because of the ocean. As you said, there are moblins, but moblins have always been a little too tough to just be the default mooks. Hence, Bokoblins.

Top Bottom