• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Yeah, I suppose that unlike Mario, where the enemies were explicitly the foot-soldiers of Bowser's army, in the original Zelda the enemies mostly resemble wild, untamed monsters who has just sprung up as a result of Ganon's evil spreading. It goes along with the series theme of Ganon being an archetype of pure evil whose presence corrupts the land itself.

Ganon becoming an actual human in Ganondorf changed this a bit; presumably he also had an army of footsoldiers in OoT, considering he was a prince(the Gerudos?), but they don't really come into contact with Link. With Wind Waker they needed enemies who actually have the manual dexterity to operate machinery and boats, because of the ocean. As you said, there are moblins, but moblins have always been a little too tough to just be the default mooks. Hence, Bokoblins.

In LTTP the basic enemy was your common or garden soldier, whatever happened to those guys?

hqdefault.jpg

What is this referencing?

I always assumed those were normal Hyrulean soldiers who got corrupted by Agahnim. So they probably wouldn't work well as regularly appearing minions for that reason.

Whilst that is true, they could easily have been brought back in other games when Hyrule was under the control of evil. I guess that, in 3D, human on human sword combat was possibly a bit too violent for Ninendo.

Branduil

Whilst that is true, they could easily have been brought back in other games when Hyrule was under the control of evil. I guess that, in 3D, human on human sword combat was possibly a bit too violent for Ninendo.

Well, there are the Gerudo. But goblin-type enemies as mooks work a lot better in a cartoony fantasy setting than some generic evil soldiers, I think.

Only a few more days, folks.

I'm really hoping Nintendo brings Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD to the Switch but it feels like a pipe dream.

Dystify

OP is joking because that giant bomb timestamp is horizon

Oh really? I must have gotten trolled then. Someone in this topic said that's the time haha. Edit: I just checked myself and it is the right time for Zelda.

When do reviews hit again? Wednesday? 9 AM PST?

In the OP:

Note: The REVIEWS for the game will drop next Thursday, March 2 at 3:00 AM PT/6:00 AM ET/11:00 AM GMT/10:00 PM AEDT.

Charamiwa

Banned
Looking back on some of the most common complaints about the game (before the previews), I think the one that has been thoroughly debunked is the "the world looks empty" criticism. Pretty much every previews mentioned how dense and full of content the world was, and how the large empty spaces fit perfectly. So that's good.

That being said, it's really disappointing to hear there is still frame rate issues. I really thought they'd fix it, considering all the time and effort they put into this game. It's one thing to have slowdowns during specific events like plenty of fire, explosions, physics... But from what we've seen from all the footage it happens regularly without much going on. Really a shame.

Scrawnton

Looking back on some of the most common complaints about the game (before the previews), I think the one that has been thoroughly debunked is the "the world looks empty" criticism. Pretty much every previews mentioned how dense and full of content the world was, and how the large empty spaces fit perfectly. So that's good.

That being said, it's really disappointing to hear there is still frame rate issues. I really thought they'd fix it, considering all the time and effort they put into this game. It's one thing to have slowdowns during specific events like plenty of fire, explosions, physics... But from what we've seen from all the footage it happens regularly without much going on. Really a shame.

These kind of drops are common place in open world games though, actually this game still runs better than most open world games I've played on PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox one.

other Zelda games had frame rate drops too. None were rock solid.

Branduil

Citation needed? From everything I've heard, the framerate is more or less completely locked in handheld mode, and the drops in docked mode are isolated to a few very rare moments.

Charamiwa

Banned
These kind of drops are common place in open world games though, actually this game still runs better than most open world games I've played on PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox one.

other Zelda games had frame rate drops too. None were rock solid.

Horizon
doesn't have them.

But again, I'm fine with a few drops here and there, it's just a little too consistent for my taste.

Caelus

Right now the only complaints I have with what I've seen are:
- Boring title screen, especially in comparison with the other Zeldas
- Regular enemy encounter music doesn't change based on time of day or the enemy's danger levels, the same music plays whether it's dinky Bokoblins or dangerous fucking Lizalfos
- You don't have the option to put your hood down, only take it off entirely

...yeah, these are really minor.

Horizon
doesn't have them.

But again, I'm fine with a few drops here and there, it's just a little too consistent for my taste.

Horizon seems to have some drops in heavy combat from the Digital Foundry video I watched.

Definitely seems like Zelda is worse and more common though.

Right now the only complaints I have with what I've seen are:
- Boring title screen, especially in comparison with the other Zeldas
- Regular enemy encounter music doesn't change based on time of day or the enemy's danger levels, the same music plays whether it's dinky Bokoblins or dangerous fucking Lizalfos
- You don't have the option to put your hood down, only take it off entirely

...yeah, these are really minor.

Preorder cancelled

Two nights ago I had a bunch of dreams related to BotW... But embarrassingly it was essentially just me dreaming of reading previews. Not even playing or being in the game. I need to calm the hell down!

I've given Skyrim enough time to know what it does well and it's a rather mediocre experience in the end. It was purely impressive for the time because what it tried to do was based in the technology rather than much good game design.

The best part of Skyrim is the soundtrack.

Balancing is atrocious and not in a fun way most of the time and if you screw up balancing variety tends to goes out the window. I supposed you could do things like Thievery or magic but those core mechanics have no depth in themselves and therefore have no variety. There's nothing to really learn about pressing a button to blow away enemies. Thus, Skyrim has to rely on roleplaying elements but these are quite weak ultimately compared to better efforts in the genre such as its own predecessor in Morrowind.

Skyrim was a memorable experience, but it was a hardly a well designed one.

A single look at Zelda shows more demands of the player, depth in its gameplay systems, and variety in its scenarios that frankly the two seem incomparable in terms of quality.

I would argue that what they both set out to do and how they attempt to make the player feel in the world is actually very similar. There's a similar line of open ended adventure that both try to do. Mark my words, everything that Skyrim tried to do, Zelda will do better.

Skyrim does a few things that Zelda doesn't, such as the RPG leveling mechanics, but more importantly in my opinion is the modding system. That to me is by far the best part of the game, and how it can be extremely fresh every time I replay it. If Nintendo released a "Zelda Maker" kit for BotW... Minds will be blown for ages...

Small update from the french press: the reviewer from Le Monde thinks Breath of the Wild is better than Witcher 3.

Excellent... Witcher 3 was spectacular for what it tried to do (story/lore/setting) but the gameplay mechanics were severely lacking. EDIT: Except Gwent. Gwent rocks.

I think it's funny how Bokoblins didn't exist until Wind Waker, and yet now they're easily accepted as the staple mook of the Zelda series. It's rare for a series to just adopt a completely new "face" mook 16 years later and have it stick. Like, imagine trying to replace goombas in Mario games- it wouldn't work.

I think they got away with it because they look and act very similarly to the moblins from the first Zelda. Someone looking at a bokoblin in BotW who just played Zelda 1 would assume they are just moblins.

The new moblins look very, very different- and that's okay! I'm sorta excited to see all the redesigned monsters!

Charamiwa

Banned
Oh yeah the title screen is just some official art we've seen plenty of time before, it almost feels unfinished. I wonder why they didn't go the obvious route: some dead rusty Guardian in the grass with the wind blowing.

I was hoping for a Wind Waker kinda title screen. Camera panning around the Great Plateau or something, similar to panning around Outset Island.

Do we have any information if the Wolf Link Amiibo functionality is locked to using the Amiibo?

I think the idea is that there will be other dogs or whatnot with basically identical functionally (finding buried items and attacking enemies), but the Wolf Link "skin" essentially will be amiibo exclusive.

I haven't dived into spoilers completely though, so if someone who knows for sure wants to clarify..

ekim

I was hoping for a Wind Waker kinda title screen. Camera panning around the Great Plateau or something, similar to panning around Outset Island.

I think the idea is that there will be other dogs or whatnot with basically identical functionally (finding buried items and attacking enemies), but the Wolf Link "skin" essentially will be amiibo exclusive.

I haven't dived into spoilers completely though, so if someone who knows for sure wants to clarify..

Ah ok. Well I let myself surprise then.

ReitStuff

Lol my dream tonight was that i got the Switch and Zelda: BotW early, then i woke up... xd

4 more days.

I had a dream I was playing the Switch in handheld mode and was getting so mad because the Switch kept falling off the Joy Cons. Hope that doesn't really happen! Lol

Oh yeah the title screen is just some official art we've seen plenty of time before, it almost feels unfinished. I wonder why they didn't go the obvious route: some dead rusty Guardian in the grass with the wind blowing.

I wonder if in this way the game loads faster? The load time for the game is pretty fast.

Link_enfant

I've been told that there's a significant difference between Wii U and Switch versions regarding the game's colors, is that confirmed? If yes, do we know why?

Top Bottom