• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Scrawnton

Most have said all they can say until Thirsday.

On a Pro?
Both experience hitches in the same situations.

But there's no point to technical comparisons. They're both very different games and they're both handling open worlds in different ways. Horizon is flashier but some previews make it seem like Zelda has a lot more going on under the hood mechanics wise so I'd expect some frame drops.

The minor drops I've seen in zelda are nothing compared to the issues I've seen in most other games of its type. It's not gonna ruin the experience unless you're mostly a pc gamer with a good rig.

buttdiver

I've been told that there's a significant difference between Wii U and Switch versions regarding the game's colors, is that confirmed? If yes, do we know why?

The only official statement on the differences is that the Switch version runs at a higher resolution and has more immersive sounds.

Justinian

It feels like the Zelda drops are being blown out of proportion specifically because there isn't much else to complain about with the game.

It's a good thing.

I would say it's not being criticized enough. We're talking extended drops down to 20fps which is pretty severe. It's especially bad since Nintendo first party games have performed perfectly before this.

I would say it's not being criticized enough. We're talking extended drops down to 20fps which is pretty severe. It's especially bad since Nintendo first party games have performed perfectly before this.

Citation needed.

Everyone has said they are very brief and very rare, not "extended". The only reason you see it so much in the GameXplain video is that they've identified a specific area where it happens and are running back and forth through it constantly.

Scrawnton

You're posting on a forum where people praise Bloodborne endlessly. It would be very hypocritical for gaf to rally heavily against BotW's framerate.

I've never heard of framedrops that low in this game yet for extended times. I'm not saying you're wrong but can I read the source?

correojon

Yesterday the WiiU´s button blinked with a notification and my heart skipped a beat. As I rushed to turn the WiiU on I was wishing that Nintendo was releasing the game a few days earlier for WiiU owners, or just allowing preloads.

Nope. Just some notification that some shit that isn´t BotW had updated :(

Horizon
doesn't have them.

But again, I'm fine with a few drops here and there, it's just a little too consistent for my taste.

Yup, Horizon lacks a lot of things BotW has :)

You're posting on a forum where people praise Bloodborne endlessly. It would be very hypocritical for gaf to rally heavily against BotW's framerate.

I've never heard of framedrops that low in this game yet for extended times. I'm not saying you're wrong but can I read the source?

Bloodborne's framerate was fine on the whole, it was just the poor framepacing that made it look jerky. And I don't know if you've been living under a rock, but people have been begging From for a patch for that since the game released.

And you're not going to get any evidence of Zelda's performance until the embargo is up and Digital Foundry (and others) can do a thorough investigation.

Cloukyo

Banned

You mean brief drops very rarely, none of which have affected any reviewer's opinion of the game.

From what I heard it happened a couple of times when gliding during a storm, which was graphically intensive.

This won't happen all the time, stop talking shit.

Justinian

Citation needed.

Everyone has said they are very brief and very rare, not "extended". The only reason you see it so much in the GameXplain video is that they've identified a specific area where it happens and are running back and forth through it constantly.

The source is from various preview videos. Here's just a couple instances:

https://youtu.be/S-jmGy3LcZo?t=4m4s
(extended frame drops during traversal)

https://youtu.be/ojsc6dg1sjE?t=10m32s
(frame drops during heavy alpha, which happens A LOT when fighting enemies and when DoF kicks in)

If you move forward frame by frame you can easily tell it's 20fps in both cases based on the videos being 30fps.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Speaking of Bokoblins, the design upgrade they got between SS and BotW is quite spectacular. I mean, look at this goofy shit:

SS_Enemy_Bokoblin_Header.png

And then this:

Edgy, cool, badass, like a Gremlin. Not like that goofy doofus from SS.

aravuus

I can't say I've played enough on my Wii U to notice, so I gotta ask: do digital vs retail copies tend to have a huge difference in performance? I recall XBX's retail copy having long loading times, but those could be fixed by downloading some optional stuff.

Otherwise I'd go with a digital copy in a heartbeat, but downloading stuff on my Wii U is a fucking pain since it's unbelievably slow and it keeps cutting the connection all the time. So I'm having a hard time deciding between a retail and a digital copy.

Speaking of Bokoblins, the design upgrade they got between SS and BotW is quite spectacular. I mean, look at this goofy shit:

And then this:

I absolutely HATED the bokoblins in SS. Overused enemies and they were lazy to just make a fat variant of it later on in the game:
tumblr_inline_mijoycGE4b1qz4rgp.png

Scrawnton

Bloodborne's framerate was fine on the whole, it was just the poor framepacing that made it look jerky. And I don't know if you've been living under a rock, but people have been begging From for a patch for that since the game released.

And you're not going to get any evidence of Zelda's performance until the embargo is up and Digital Foundry (and others) can do a thorough investigation.

No you're right, people are clambering for a patch but it is still very highly revered despite its framerate issue. That's what I'm getting at.

I want evidence from that poster saying there are 20fps for extended periods of time when all we have is evidence of the framedrops being a rare occasion and not long lasting at all.

Zips

And then this:

Definitely a good update. It'll be exciting to get to see more of the enemy designs across all the different regions there are in the game.

Scrawnton

(frame drops during heavy alpha, which happens A LOT when fighting enemies and when DoF kicks in)

If you move forward frame by frame you can easily tell it's 20fps in both cases based on the videos being 30fps.
I watched the first video and the framedrops seemed to start and finish while the game was autosaving. Not a huge deal to me.

I didn't notice anything in the second video.

Justinian

No you're right, people are clambering for a patch but it is still very highly revered despite its framerate issue. That's what I'm getting at.

I want evidence from that poster saying there are 20fps for extended periods of time when all we have is evidence of the framedrops being a rare occasion and not long lasting at all.

I posted the evidence just above.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
A couple frames same as Zelda. Neither games have game affecting drops.

Not to blow things out of proportion or anything, but most if not all preview videos I've seen of BotW have very noticeable drops in areas with a lot of grass and trees, etc. Not game-breaking, but noticeable. Doesn't seem to be quite as rare as some think.

The Third Heat

Neo Member

Eh. If this is as bad as it gets, I think I'll be fine. If it starts affecting my ability to accomplish important tasks, then I'll rage. Only twice in my life have I quit a game because of frame rate issues: Mass Effect 3 on PS3 and Banjo-Tooie on the N64. Those were nightmares.

If we are gonna talk which bokoblins are the best designed we should just start with Wind Waker and get it over with

At least I still like the bokoblins look in BotW, not sold on the Moblins

Holy shit. I've been keeping an eye on this thread throughout the weekend and my hype levels are at critical mass. Best Buy is "preparing" my Master Edition order and I really hope they ship it early. They shipped my friend's copy of Horizon early so maybe there's hope!

I pre-ordered my Switch at Gamestop so I could pick it up at midnight (and because I had $300 of trade credit) so I'd love to have Zelda on-hand when I pick it up. If not I'll just have to wait I guess...

Shit... 4 days!

The first one is extended in that it lasts about 2-3 seconds, and the second one lasts probably less than half a second...

When I think "extended" frame drops I'm thinking something like Dark Souls where the framerate is lower for an entire area like Blighttown. Or going through an entire fight. This is not extended in that way, these are rare occasional drops that happen in every single open world game there is.

Neoweee

Me: "I can't wait until Friday! Just let it be Friday!...

Oh... Horizon. Niiice."

This will probably end up the highest-reviewed new game since GTAV, from the sounds of it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If we are gonna talk which bokoblins are the best designed we should just start with Wind Waker and get it over with

At least I still like the bokoblins look in BotW, not sold on the Moblins

WW's are far better than SS's, for sure, but I think I prefer the ones in BotW.

Horizon
doesn't have them.

Yes, it does. Zelda seems to have them occur a bit more frequently though.

Splatoon received a patch that literally doubled the framerate in the game's main hub. It gives me hope that BotW will receive some sort of performance patch in the future.

Only evidence so far is from edge, who because they are a magazine publisher and need to pre-plan these kinds of things got both switch and wii-u versions.
They did mention that the wii u version does have more framerate issues, dropping into the teens on occasion.
The problem is that nintendo isn't sending out wii-u copies to online sites so until launch or afterwards we won't really know the difference or how bad it get's.
I'm sure it won't be that bad though, most people say it's only problematic in the first area and then doesn't really happen later on, that game explain video is taken from the first section.

But you're drawing an equivalency between uneven framepacing and outright drops, when the latter is much more severe.

And like I say, you're not going to get irrefutable evidence until Digital Foundry does their report on it.

Firemind

How lol, he's just saying it's his favorite.

Now, his comments about it being an all-time classic on the other hand... ;D
I mean, I'm sure he isn't close to 100% completion but maybe I'm wrong.

People should also temper their expectations because media outlets have lauded almost every Zelda that came out after OoT as one of the bestest Zeldas.

jariw

1. Quite a few previewers has mentioned occasional frame drops.
2. None, AFAIK, of the previewers has thought the frame drops were game breaking.
3. Some previewers said the frame drops mainly appear on the Great Plateau.
4. There are a few Zelda games that has occasional frame drops. Nintendo does not have a perfect track record regarding frame drops. (Twilight Princess:HD and Wind Waker:HD both had occasional frame drops.)

Justinian

The first one is extended in that it lasts about 2-3 seconds, and the second one lasts probably less than half a second...

When I think "extended" frame drops I'm thinking something like Dark Souls where the framerate is lower for an entire area like Blighttown. Or going through an entire fight. This is not extended in that way, these are rare occasional drops that happen in every single open world game there is.

Well our definitions of extended obviously differ and I'm not claiming that the frame drops are worse than in other games.

I just think Nintendo first party titles should be held to a higher standard because they have always been perfectly optimized in the past. I also think that more noise should be made about it so Nintendo tries extra hard to fix it.

I never understood apologists for poor frame rate. I think it's a large part of the reason that devs don't focus enough on performance these days - because people don't complain enough about it.

Top Bottom