• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

koss424

Fair enough.

The dungeons in OOT are better designed and far more atmospheric. The Forest Temple for example is amazing in this regard. The Water Temple is most people's least favorite dungeon in the game, but it is still incredibly well designed and more challenging than anything in Skyward Sword. The Spirt Temple oozes atmosphere and is fun, while remaining challenging throughout.

TP has the same formula as OOT and Wind Waker's Earth Temple is outstanding. Just a few examples :)

Skyward Sword has some great dungeons, but nothing so remarkable to me that it tops the 3 Zelda games I mentioned.

OoT Water Temple is genius. People hate it because it's hard, but it's not unfair in any way. Once you understand the mechanics of the dungeon you have that aha moment and it's very satisfying.

Mohonky

Wow. Pretty mixed feelings about this.

Seems it looks exactly like the Switch version but in 720p. I am getting the Wii U version but I feel also pretty disappointed that it doesn't look that much better on the Switch, because I want to buy the Switch too in holiday season. Wii U graphics in 900p with FPS drops doesn't look too hot to me.

Game was designed for Wii U to begin with so it's hardly surprising it just got a resolution bump.

A ground up Switch version would obviously be different.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
That XBX title screen makes me want to boot the game up. I never got my Doll since the game bored me to death after 12 hours, but now I feel like giving it a third chance.

ckaneo

OoT Water Temple is genius. People hate it because it's hard, but it's not unfair in any way. Once you understand the mechanics of the dungeon you have that aha moment and it's very satisfying.

Well dont forget having to pause the game to put on the iron boots

Kinsei

Banned
Don't know if it's been said, but Dualshockers' Editor-in-Chief seems to really dislike the game and overall has really strong feelings against Nintendo. If he were to review the game (which wouldn't surprise me since he did the one for Horizon also), you can expect a really negative one. Please do not freak out.

What are his problem with the game?

Don't know if it's been said, but Dualshockers' Editor-in-Chief seems to really dislike the game and overall has really strong feelings against Nintendo. If he were to review the game (which wouldn't surprise me since he did the one for Horizon also), you can expect a really negative one. Please do not freak out.

So <95 MC confirmed?

kunonabi

Fair enough.

The dungeons in OOT are better designed and far more atmospheric. The Forest Temple for example is amazing in this regard. The Water Temple is most people's least favorite dungeon in the game, but it is still incredibly well designed and more challenging than anything in Skyward Sword. The Spirt Temple oozes atmosphere and is fun, while remaining challenging throughout.

TP has the same formula as OOT and Wind Waker's Earth Temple is outstanding. Just a few examples :)

Skyward Sword has some great dungeons, but nothing so remarkable to me that it tops the 3 Zelda games I mentioned.

OoT has like the worst dungeons in the series. They're all tedious and painfully easy. They aren't so bad in Master Quest but the vanilla ones are just rubbish. The only games that compete with SS dungeons are ST and TP.

Discomurf

Three new images of Wii U copy

https://i.imgur.com/BjgFedy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PGXQzYC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4QBu1xT.jpg

Not really spoiler-ish, but I don't want to embed.

Dat art style.

In addition to the draw distance detail being more inline with the Switch version, the textures look to be updated as well. Take a look at the mountain on the left -- it appears to be more grey then brown (same as the Switch ver).

Wii U Retail:
https://imgur.com/4QBu1xT

Wii U E3:
breathofthewild1-e1466656369675.png

Audioboxer

In addition to the draw distance detail being more inline with the Switch version, the textures look to be updated as well. Take a look at the mountain on the left -- its more grey then brown, same as the Switch ver.

Wii U Retail:

Wii U E3:

Yeah, it's a definite improvement! Of course, off-screen "potato" screenshots might hide some imperfections.

There is an AMA about the game for the Wii U going on reddit ~ https://www.reddit.com/r/zelda/comments/5wh07r/botw_ama_wiiu/?st=IZOC2T1G&sh=02128bdc

On framerate

IMO it's fine the amount of drops is very limited and never under 20 fps. I think it's totally playable and don't regret a thing!
Piracy questions are leading to bans, so there is nothing illegal above, probably just some spoilers.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It seems less washed out. Probably because its off-screen shots.

I remember something about Switch defaulting to limited RGB for M.H. Williams. As Wii U works only in limited-RGB I wonder if this has something to do with not being washed out.

KingBroly

Banned
His name is Giuseppe Nelva, and he expressed those opinions in the comment sections here and here.

Quite frankly I think he comes off as a bit childish and biased. But hey he's the guy that runs a website, he can express whatever he wants.

Based on his comments in your second link, he will absolutely be giving this game a low score if he reviews it.

His name is Giuseppe Nelva, and he expressed those opinions in the comment sections here and here.

Quite frankly I think he comes off as a bit childish and biased. But hey he's the guy that runs a website, he can express whatever he wants.

Here's the main point:

Thanks. His comments seem designed around modern sensibilities - he expects a certain look from his open-world games, which is his prerogative.

But it's concerning when professionals in the field are unable to account for intent and genre. Open-world games have no connection with absolute graphical showcases, and the claim about judging Zelda based on how Nintendo has said its a home console... I'm not sure where he's going with it.

It's interesting how criticism layers itself, and I can't quite understand where he's basing his main objectives from.

Edit - yeah, it seems primarily graphics motivated. Personal preferences are fine, but art direction and achievement matter too. That comment seems a bit underhanded and biased.

LordKano

Here's the main point:

Sounds like a playstation fanboy on gamefaqs.

phanphare

Banned

Here's the main point:

lol, I was yawning reading all those tired talking points

essenn

Simply enough, after playing today's best open world games, playing Zelda feels like a massive step back in basically every aspect.

Everyone else is saying the opposite

Also randomly bringing up Horizon, sounds like a fanboy caught up in this rivalry

Kicko

Here's the main point:

Ha, so no real gripes about the actual gameplay just the visual presentation. Nah, I'm not going to take this guy seriously.

Charamiwa

Banned
Thanks. His comments seem designed around modern sensibilities - he expects a certain look from his open-world games, which is his prerogative.

But it's concerning when professionals in the field are unable to account for intent and genre. Open-world games have no connection with absolute graphical showcases, and the claim about judging Zelda based on how Nintendo has said its a home console... I'm not sure where he's going with it.

It's interesting how criticism layers itself, and I can't quite understand where he's basing his main objectives from.

I said childish because of the "people are giving it a pass because it's Zelda" argument, which is hard to take seriously.

Otherwise yeah, it's entirely possible to prefer other open worlds.

phanphare

Banned

Also randomly bringing up Horizon, sounds like a fanboy caught up in this rivalry

it seems that he's specifically talking about the technical aspect of the graphics and visual presentation. doesn't mention anything else.

Audioboxer

The game looks way less hazy in these pictures. I'm convinced that capture footage is just weird for this game.

Could be incorrect TV RGB settings. Often messing up limited/full can lead to washed out images, or contrast overblown and black crush. Or as the poster above said just poorly calibrated TVs at E3.

Giuseppe Nelva said:
I played Zelda on both Switch and Wii U several times, and extensively.

Truth is, it looks extremely antiquated, low resolution shows both in models and textures, effects are poor, and make textures and environments look even flatter. and when played on a TV frame rate is really bad due to the hardware struggling with the higher resolution. On top of that, the lack of hardware resources is also felt in gameplay elements, like AI for instance.

Simply enough, after playing today's best open world games, playing Zelda feels like a massive step back in basically every aspect.

After playing Horizon: Zero Dawn, Zelda feels extremely antiquated. Many will ignore it because it's named Zelda, and nostalgia will put some super-thick rose-tinted glasses on their nose, but that's simply how it is.

And yes, while Pine isn't even a super-advanced game, there are multiple aspects of its visual presentation that easily surpass Zelda, which is fairly sad, considering the massive difference in budget and resources.

Not everyone will give Zelda a pass because it's Zelda.

Here is one of the quotes - 18 hours ago.

"Not everyone will give Zelda a pass because it's Zelda." screams to me "I'll show them mwahahaha"

But, his opinion is his and he has the right to rate it as he sees fit. I am interested to hear more about his perspective on AI. What I've seen so far is pretty impressive, but if there is something lack I'm interested on hearing.

ASIS

Here's the main point:
On one hand, he's right. Zelda does look outdated compared to horizon. On the other hand, there is more to a game than its graphics. And personally speaking Zelda's looks are more than adequate. In fact I think it looks beautiful.

lol @ his comments, 100% the opposite of everyone else who has played the game. get ready for the 5/10.

Sheroking

I used to feel this way but have since sort of slipped into the naysayer category.

The dungeon IS hard by Zelda standards, and probably the hardest in the game. But it's not hard because fights are challenging or because it's mentally straining. The water level mechanic just slows down your exploration of the dungeon, and finding that one missing small key was a giant pain the ass.

You wound up having to lower and raise the water a million times to figure it out. At least, if you're anything like me when I was a preteen playing it for the first time.

Interfectum

Here's the main point:

Looks like we know where the old Sony Defense Force editors went.

it seems that he's specifically talking about the technical aspect of the graphics and visual presentation. doesn't mention anything else.

I thought he was talking about the structure of the game itself

On top of that, the lack of hardware resources is also felt in gameplay elements, like AI for instance.

After playing Horizon: Zero Dawn, Zelda feels extremely antiquated. Many will ignore it because it's named Zelda, and nostalgia will put some super-thick rose-tinted glasses on their nose, but that's simply how it is.

I'm not going to attack someone for an opinion of game I haven't played but I'm not too worried about it either given the wealth of reports saying otherwise.

There goes the 95+ though :(

The fact that the only examples of this step backwards he can come up with are graphics-related tells me he's just trying to find more things to complain about, but can't really.

lol @ his comments, 100% the opposite of everyone else who has played the game. get ready for the 5/10.

Perhaps us Zelda fans can allow him to have his opinion and not spend the majority of the BotW review thread critiquing his score and its accompanying text. And not suggest that Metacritic remove outliers from the average score.

Edit - yeah, it seems primarily graphics motivated. Personal preferences are fine, but art direction and achievement matter too. That comment seems a bit underhanded and biased.

you don't have to sugar coat it
those comments make him sound like a tool
it's not like I'm gonna complain about his review if and when it comes
I'm just sayin'

KooopaKid

Banned

Here's the main point:

Visuals visuals visuals. Not a single mention of gameplay. Sigh. This will be fun.

Here's the main point:

Isnt he the guy that gave high scores to No Mans Sky and The Order ? , I can understand it then, he is looking for something that a game like The Order has but Zelda doesnt , I get it .

phanphare

Banned
but seriously if enjoying a new Zelda game means that I'm wearing super thick rose tinted glasses then rose tint my world babayy!

I thought he was talking about the structure of the game itself

I'm not going to attack someone for an opinion of game I haven't played but I'm not too worried about it either given the wealth of reports saying otherwise.

There goes the 95+ though :(

AI is the sole thing he mentions that isn't related to the technical aspects of graphics. you'll see his comparison with Pine later on. "it looks extremely antiquated, low resolution shows both in models and textures, effects are poor, and make textures and environments look even flatter. and when played on a TV frame rate is really bad due to the hardware struggling with the higher resolution."

"And yes, while Pine isn't even a super-advanced game, there are multiple aspects of its visual presentation that easily surpass Zelda, which is fairly sad, considering the massive difference in budget and resources."

key words being "looks" and "visual presentation"

daxy

Here's the main point:

I was just listening to the Waypoint podcast and Austin felt the opposite when comparing it to Horizon. He thought Horizon was alright but very much a 'by the numbers' kind of thing, whereas BotW's open world had really compelling player-environment interaction, characters he actually wanted to talk to and learn about (vis-a-vis not so much so in Horizon), and so forth. In the same podcast Austin talks about not having finished a major Zelda game since Majora's Mask, so I doubt it's fanboyism speaking in that regard. Opinions!

Alrus

The "framerate is really bad when in docked mode" make it seems like he didn't play the game tbh. Frame drops happening sporadically doesn't equal to frame rate being really bad.

Here is one of the quotes - 18 hours ago.

"Not everyone will give Zelda a pass because it's Zelda." screams to me "I'll show them mwahahaha"

But, his opinion is his and he has the right to rate it as he sees fit. I am interested to hear more about his perspective on AI. What I've seen so far is pretty impressive, but if there is something lack I'm interested on hearing.

Super salty gamefaqs fanboy.

In addition to the draw distance detail being more inline with the Switch version, the textures look to be updated as well. Take a look at the mountain on the left -- it appears to be more grey then brown (same as the Switch ver).

Wii U Retail:

Wii U E3:

But what happened to all the people that said the Wii U version was finished months ago and Switch has graphical upgrades over the Wii U?

Top Bottom