• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

phanphare

Banned
Re concerns in terms of length:

This

ZQ0aFso.jpg

It's not that customizable. You get everything or just hearts and stamina.

TY. I was unaware of that.

Wait, does that mean you only get the weather and time in the zone you activate that towers in? That would be neat.

Nah just the first one, I think the reason is it basically lets the sun rise and keeps it in daylight and sunny until you activate the tower, it's always the same time when you meet up with Paraglider dude

Would be nice if you can expand longer range forecast or something.

PrimeBeef

The idea would also mean:
* You know where the dungeons are located
* You skip most of the story
* You skip 116 mini dungeons (the 4 on the Big Plateau are required)
* You'll probably have no good weapons or armor during the end game
* You will reach the end game with 3 hearts and default stamina

But can you skip the story and gain access to the 4 dungeons? Was under the impression they were connected and the story led you there.

yeah I can't say I was thrilled by the english voice acting in the trailer

in general I just don't like voice acting in video games period. I think I can count on one hand finger how many times it's been successfully executed for me. it's easier to cover flaws when reading because your mind will compensate and it will also assign a voice to characters that might not jive with how they would sound if done with voice acting.

I dunno. I usually don't like voice acting in games either and I'm one of the people who felt strongly about not wanting it in Zelda.. But I'm completely fine with what little I've heard so far.

I guess I'm just glad Nolan North and Troy Baker aren't in this.

I understand this is your opinion, but so far you have completely failed at providing any arguments outside of "really? SS?"

In short, I'd like to hear your opinion why you think SS doesn't rank among the top in terms of dungeons?

Fair enough.

The dungeons in OOT are better designed and far more atmospheric. The Forest Temple for example is amazing in this regard. The Water Temple is most people's least favorite dungeon in the game, but it is still incredibly well designed and more challenging than anything in Skyward Sword. The Spirt Temple oozes atmosphere and is fun, while remaining challenging throughout.

TP has the same formula as OOT and Wind Waker's Earth Temple is outstanding. Just a few examples :)

Skyward Sword has some great dungeons, but nothing so remarkable to me that it tops the 3 Zelda games I mentioned.

phanphare

Banned
I dunno. I usually don't like voice acting in games either and I'm one of the people who felt strongly about not wanting it in Zelda.. But I'm completely fine with what little I've heard so far.

I would love a game where nolan north voiced link, who talks a lot, and troy baker voiced zelda

would be perfect

;p

JobenNC

None of you can yet prove that Nolan North and Troy Baker didn't alternately record all of Tingle's lines.

Um. I feel like those pics look better than the Switch version...

Personally, the pics don't look better than Switch to me, but these pics were taken off-screen so the quality isn't 100% there. Still, the game looks pretty good, regardless of system.

The versions should be nearly identical besides resolution and some performance differences from what I've gathered of previews and reading some things about EDGE's review that looked at both versions.

I mean, the Switch version is just an better resolution port that you can take on the go (not counting taking the system and GamePad with you where ever there's an outlet :p) I wouldn't expect much difference between Wii U and Switch besides some performance differences at places.

PrimeBeef

Do we have confirmation that there are only four dungeons?

No, but I meant the Divine Beasts. I still think there are 5 plus Hyrule Castle. Since there are 5 pillars, and
The leaved cut scene implies they were raised when the Calamity Ganon rose as some sort of protection for him

Greenymac

Am I too late to pre-order this (just the regular version)? I have the Switch pre-ordered at Walmart, where they don't do game pre-orders, and since Zelda is the only game I care about, I'm worried now that they won't have enough copies.

There's a gamestop 5 minutes from the Walmart I'm going to. Think they would still take a preorder today?

I had been slacking off and not going to preorder but got nervous about supply and went to Gamestop Saturday to go ahead and pay. I think youll be fine. I usually preorder through Amazon, but I don't want to have to wait for UPS to deliver... I want to be able to go snag it as early as possible.

Audioboxer

Personally, the pics don't look better than Switch to me, but these pics were taken off-screen so the quality isn't 100% there. Still, the game looks pretty good, regardless of system.

The versions should be nearly identical besides resolution and some performance differences from what I've gathered of previews and reading some things about EDGE's review that looked at both versions.

I mean, the Switch version is just an better resolution port that you can take on the go (not counting taking the system and GamePad with you where ever there's an outlet :p) I wouldn't expect much difference between Wii U and Switch besides some performance differences at places.

The game has a Wii U gamepad mode as well, so at least in your home you can play the Wii U version "portable" :p

Three new images of Wii U copy

https://i.imgur.com/BjgFedy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PGXQzYC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4QBu1xT.jpg

Not really spoiler-ish, but I don't want to embed.

Dat art style.

Wow. Pretty mixed feelings about this.

Seems it looks exactly like the Switch version but in 720p. I am getting the Wii U version but I feel also pretty disappointed that it doesn't look that much better on the Switch, because I want to buy the Switch too in holiday season. Wii U graphics in 900p with FPS drops doesn't look too hot to me.

Audioboxer

Wow. Pretty mixed feelings about this.

Seems it looks exactly like the Switch version but in 720p. I am getting the Wii U version but I feel also pretty disappointed that it doesn't look that much better on the Switch, because I want to buy the Switch too in holiday season. Wii U graphics in 900p with FPS drops doesn't look too hot to me.

Is the Wii U version definitely 720p native? Almost expected an upscaling job from 640p or something like that :p

The Switch version will be a "quick" port. Probably not going to take advantage of all it can offer. It'll be better but not a million times better.

kunonabi

Given the reactions to the previous trailer, something tells me this is going to be divisive.

It'd be a huge shame if it did end up sucking; not only has NOA been on a stride with voice acting over the past few years (barring Smash 4), but that people are already skeptical of a voiced Zelda would render it disastrous.

Have they though? Kid Icarus was the only success that I can remember. Other M had fine performances (better than the Japanese ones actually aside from Samus) but the script got in the way of them really popping.

I know some people liked the first Xenoblade's dub but still.

ACE 1991

Christ I'm debating buying a Switch in the next few weeks (if it'll even be possible) just for this game. It's a hrd sell though because it doesn't seem like there's anything else even remotely worth playing (to me) coming out for this thing for a good while after Zelda. If somehow they release a robust offering of gamecube games on VC I think I could get behind it.

Charamiwa

Banned
Don't know if it's been said, but Dualshockers' Editor-in-Chief seems to really dislike the game and overall has really strong feelings against Nintendo. If he were to review the game (which wouldn't surprise me since he did the one for Horizon also), you can expect a really negative one. Please do not freak out.

random25

Japanese voice-acted games, and other media, that have localized dub usually have issues, from lip synching offset to dialogue losing some context due to translation. Offering the original Japanese VA with localized subtitles in games like this will always be the best option.

But I don't see the Zelda dub as being poor, as from some spoilery video stuff that I've seen. Pretty much decent to good, just not awesome.

Don't know if it's been said, but Dualshockers' Editor-in-Chief seems to really dislike the game and overall has really strong feelings against Nintendo. If he were to review the game (which wouldn't surprise me since he did the one for Horizon also), you can expect a really negative one. Please do not freak out.
Oh dear.

Can you source where he expressed those opinions?

The game has a Wii U gamepad mode as well, so at least in your home you can play the Wii U version "portable" :p

Well, I know that. :p Depends on your layout and where the system is located in certain cases with the GamePad's range. Off-TV Play is nice for some games and it should be fine for Zelda, but some people don't like it because of the GamePad's not-so-great screen or range issues.

Top Bottom