• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

LotusHD

Banned
I honestly don't know how people put themselves through these mental gymnastics. Graphical fidelity and the enjoyment of it is subjective. What some people see as wasteful others don't care about, which is the beauty of opinion. Horizon looks amazing but I play games more than just for visuals. If horizon plays well then the visuals are an added bonus, but that's all dependent on my tastes. I'm not sure what's so hard for people on the internet to understand in regards to that.

I won't lie, I'd be less enthused to play an "ugly" game. It's just... BoTW ain't that for me, so not much else to say. And then as for people who occasionally say "Oh, if only it was on a better console, if only it was on the PS4", (which is not the same imo as saying you don't particularly find the game to be good-looking) it gets tiring to hear because obviously nothing can be done about that. I mean I guess it's nice to vent and all, but yea...

Charamiwa

Banned
Also what's with the "dynamic lighting" bs resurfacing, we've been through this. The Switch version clearly has dynamic lighting and shadows lol. That's how the environment fuckin reacts to the position of the sun in the first place, with the environment casting shadows all over.

And there's plenty of footage of the Switch version that shows dynamic shadows inside of the mini dungeons, it's not something that was removed from Wii U -> Switch. They just changed shit. God dammit, it was an artistic change, not a technical change. This ain't Dark Souls 2 vertical slice -> Retail.

Heh, the lightning in the E3 intro really looks better I think. It actually reflects on Link.

phanphare

Banned
That's what I'm saying, though. He implied it was ridiculous to suggest that an art style without the graphics power to back it up is wasteful. I believe it is. In the Toy Story example, both movies were released at the height of available power in their respective years of release, so it makes sense that Toy Story 1 doesn't look nearly as good now. But my point is just that: today, it DOESN'T look nearly as good, even if TS1 had a similar and still cohesive art style. Graphic fidelity is very important, even if art style is MORE important. I get frustrated when people brush aside any complaints about graphic fidelity just by saying "but art style."

I'm just not seeing your point with the examples you're giving. should they have waited to release toy story 1 because it could have looked better a decade later? also toy story 1 is a great example because while toy story 3 looks better toy story 1 still holds up incredibly well when viewed on its own and not compared to something similar and better. so I think the first toy story is a great example of an art style making up for technical short comings.

Of course. It's just more relevant when discussing games on a systems that are vastly under powered relative to their current competition.

It's easier/fairer/more natural to have wondered how Mario Galaxy would have looked on 360, or BOTW on PS4 Pro than it is to wonder how Horizon would look on a PS5 in a few years. A more relevant comparison there would be how much better could Horizon looks on PC on a current top rig?

For me, I wish they'd have been able to just do a separate console and portable version of Switch that shared highly scaleable games, with the console being at least around X1 in power. I'd love to see what BOTW could look like on better hardware. I am buying the Wii U version and do have a gaming computer (though no where near top of the line) so maybe I'll finally mess around with CEMU after it's reported to run well there and see how it looks.

I mean, I guess, I just don't see how it detracts from the game tho if it already looks good. like Mario Galaxy. that's one of the most beautiful looking games I've ever played to this day. could it have looked better on more powerful hardware? sure! just like literally any other game made for a piece of hardware ever. see: the toy story 1 vs. 3 point. however that game as it actually existed was already gorgeous so it not being on more powerful hardware doesn't really matter.

Discomurf

Also what's with the "dynamic lighting" bs resurfacing, we've been through this. The Switch version clearly has dynamic lighting and shadows lol. That's how the environment fuckin reacts to the position of the sun in the first place, with the environment casting shadows all over.

And there's plenty of footage of the Switch version that shows dynamic shadows inside of the mini dungeons, it's not something that was removed from Wii U -> Switch. They just changed shit. God dammit, it was an artistic change, not a technical change. This ain't Dark Souls 2 vertical slice -> Retail.

Compared to the Wii U e3 build, Link's model and some environments seem to not be effected by the light source in some sequences in the Switch version. I don't think it was artistic reasons, I'm guessing but more likely an issue when porting maybe. Or they may have pulled the effect out of both versions, once we see more of the Wii U version we'll know for sure.

Switch:
z-switch9ikqv.png

Wii U:
z-wiiugojnp.png

Easy_D

never left the stone age
that's the big question for me as well -- hopefully we can see some of the intro area footage soon which would show it

They removed it in the intro sequence, probably because it didn't make sense or something. The effect itself is still in the game. Makes no sense that they'd have to remove it for whatever reason when the same lighting system governs the entire open world with realtime shadowing. If it can handle that, it can handle it in smaller in-doors segments. Oh and there's also this: https://youtu.be/gpxjUp4Ov6E?t=677

Whoahhh. Realtime shadows inside of a shrine, who would've thought such a thing was possible. On the Switch!

Edit: Okay, I'll give you that they seem to apply some other indirect form of lighting on Link for whatever reason. Like the general light seems to affect him, but not directly. Weird. It's especially noticable outdoors when he moves in and out of shadows. The shadow isn't really cast on Link as you'd expect, but his shading does get darker when inside a shadow and brighter when outside of one, but like I said, it looks more indirect. You can even see it in the example above, there are some specs of that orange glow on Link's model, but not to the degree of the old demo.

Of course. It's just more relevant when discussing games on a systems that are vastly under powered relative to their current competition.

It's easier/fairer/more natural to have wondered how Mario Galaxy would have looked on 360, or BOTW on PS4 Pro than it is to wonder how Horizon would look on a PS5 in a few years. A more relevant comparison there would be how much better could Horizon looks on PC on a current top rig?

For me, I wish they'd have been able to just do a separate console and portable version of Switch that shared highly scaleable games, with the console being at least around X1 in power. I'd love to see what BOTW could look like on better hardware. I am buying the Wii U version and do have a gaming computer (though no where near top of the line) so maybe I'll finally mess around with CEMU after it's reported to run well there and see how it looks.

See I dont buy this argument cuz it seems like you are framing things to suit your own narrative. Soon and very soon nVidia will be dropping 10+ TFLOP gpus. In fact, if you SLI, etc you can already hit these benchmarks. Right now there are PC players wishing that they could play Horizon at 4k, 60 FPS with the latest AA, etc. Things that PS4 Pro players cannot do. Where does the buck stop?

I do get the frustration with Nintendo though. They just dont put out these cutting edge graphical show cases anymore. I guess I just dont care because the games are so freaking good and there art style are usually timeless.

Links model and some environments seem to not be effected by the light source in some sequences in the Switch version.

Switch:
z-switch9ikqv.png

Wii U:
z-wiiugojnp.png

We've been over this many times, that's not necessarily the retail Wii U version. It's very likely that effect was removed for interiors in both versions. Those effects are still present in the world, just not in the intro cave.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just not seeing your point with the examples you're giving. should they have waited to release toy story 1 because it could have looked better a decade later? also toy story 1 is a great example because while toy story 3 looks better toy story 1 still holds up incredibly well when viewed on its own and not compared to something similar and better. so I think the first toy story is a great example of an art style making up for technical short comings.

I agree on that.

But with Nintendo it's not a matter of them needing to wait for technology to advance, they could simply put out hardware equivalent in power to other current consoles (that are currently regularly selling for $50 less than Switch with a game included...).

Yeah, yeah, I get that they tried that with N64 and GC and failed, and the stupidly underpowered Wii was a huge success. So I get why they do what they do, and feel they can't compete directly in the core console gamer market. Doesn't make it suck any less for those of us who wished we were playing their great games like BOTW on Nintendo hardware that held its own powerwise.

VanWinkle

Honestly, everyone. There are gonna be people who knock the game for not being up to the graphical standards of what are available on ps4 and xb1. I mean I guess I just dont care. I have UC4 which is the best looking game I own and I shelved it because I found the game to be very boring (cleared parts 1, 2, & 3 on the UC collection). TW3 is also a fantastic looking game when compared to the likes of Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne and yet there were many times I popped back in From's games because I just found the gameplay to be so much better and fun.

BoTW will never hold the title of best looking game of all time. Far from it. I do think though the game looks as good as it can considering the hardware which is why it gets a pass from me. Had it been a switch exclusive it would have looked even better. Still, I think many parts of the game look beautiful due to the art style and the lighting.

What I never realized until now is that people really believe that nintendo's games gets some kinda pass due to nostalgia just because the opinions of the masses fail to line up with these peoples own pre conceived notions.

Like I can go from UC4 to play ALBW and have an infinitely better time. And albw is pretty basic for a 3ds game.

I think the poster a few posts up had it right: if you want to knock a game for a personally percieved short comings then fine. However, when you start questioning how other people can like things that you dont like and attribute this to nostalgia or some sort of nintendo pass, thats when it gets childish and insulting.

Your first paragraph felt very out of place to me, since graphics quality and gameplay are two mutually exclusive beasts, where gameplay satisfaction is subjective and has nothing to do with graphics. So you didn't really SAY anything in it.

I do agree about the whole "Nintendo gets a pass" thing and the hardware power, though. The biggest reason I'm okay with the BOTW visual quality is that it's a handheld device. And to satiate my own frustrations with it, I will forever think of it as a handheld device and not a console.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
See I dont buy this argument cuz it seems like you are framing things to suit your own narrative. Soon and very soon nVidia will be dropping 10+ TFLOP gpus. In fact, if you SLI, etc you can already hit these benchmarks. Right now there are PC players wishing that they could play Horizon at 4k, 60 FPS with the latest AA, etc. Things that PS4 Pro players cannot do. Where does the buck stop?

I do get the frustration with Nintendo though. They just dont put out these cutting edge graphical show cases anymore. I guess I just dont care because the games are so freaking good and there art style are usually timeless.

Well, I even noted that a better comparison for Horizon was how good it could look on top PCs. :D And you rightly note my frustration with Nintendo, that I elaborated on in a post just above.

It just is what it is with them, and I get they can't compete (or at least feel they can't) with equal powered hardware. That's fine, and I don't really share your overall love for their games anymore (a few exceptions like Zelda and Metroid if they ever truly revisit it) aside so I'll probably just do without them for awhile after BOTW on Wii U since I just care too much about graphics and dislike portables.

phanphare

Banned

exactly. high end PCs merely existing doesn't make the best looking PS4 games lesser and PS4 existing doesn't make the best looking Wii U/Switch games lesser.

I agree on that.

But with Nintendo it's not a matter of them needing to wait for technology to advance, they could simply put out hardware equivalent in power to other current consoles (that are currently regularly selling for $50 less than Switch with a game included...).

Yeah, yeah, I get that they tried that with N64 and GC and failed, and the stupidly underpowered Wii was a huge success. So I get why they do what they do, and feel they can't compete directly in the core console gamer market. Doesn't make it suck any less for those of us who wished we were playing their great games like BOTW on Nintendo hardware that held its own powerwise.

yeah I don't get this argument either. it seems like you're stopping short of where you personally want to frame the narrative. I get wanting that from Nintendo but it certainly doesn't make the games that look gorgeous look any less gorgeous.

Oregano

I agree on that.

But they couldn't do that in the Switch's form factor. No matter how much people want to pretend they can(See any thread about a hypothetical new handheld from Sony).

Well, I even noted that a better comparison for Horizon was how good it could look on top PCs. :D And you rightly note my frustration with Nintendo, that I elaborated on in a post just above.

It just is what it is with them, and I get they can't compete (or at least feel they can't) with equal powered hardware. That's fine, and I don't really share your overall love for their games anymore (a few exceptions like Zelda and Metroid if they ever truly revisit it) aside so I'll probably just do without them for awhile after BOTW on Wii U since I just care too much about graphics and dislike portables.

And this is a fair opinion to have. What I appreciate is you not saying that the reason I am enamored with the game is due to some misguided sense of nostalgia. Some people date only 8s and up. Some are happy with 5s. Different strokes, different folks. No need to shit on my tastes and vice versa.

phanphare

Banned
And this is a fair opinion to have. What I appreciate is you not saying that the reason I am enamored with the game is due to some misguided sense of nostalgia. Some people date only 8s and up. Some are happy with 5s. Different strokes, different folks. No need to shit on my tastes and vice versa.

and just like me valuing art style more then raw technical power I value personality far more in a potential partner ;p

VanWinkle

No, they shouldn't have waited. I'm not saying what Nintendo should have done INSTEAD. I'm just saying that the art style could have benefited massively from having better graphics quality. Graphics are extremely important to preserving the vision of the art style, and, simply put, BOTW's graphics are - in most cases - outdated. You may think that's fine, and I figure you do since you think TS1 also still holds up incredibly well (I disagree).

My whole point, again, is just this: without great graphic fidelity, a game doesn't do proper justice to the art style. I'm not speaking about what's subjectively acceptable graphics for each of us. Great graphics make a great art style even better.

I mean, I guess, I just don't see how it detracts from the game tho if it already looks good. like Mario Galaxy. that's one of the most beautiful looking games I've ever played to this day. could it have looked better on more powerful hardware? sure! just like literally any other game made for a piece of hardware ever. see: the toy story 1 vs. 3 point. however that game as it actually existed was already gorgeous so it not being on more powerful hardware doesn't really matter.

But it DOES matter to a lot of us. Mario Galaxy looks good but its low resolution does so much injustice to it. I never played Mario Galaxy until after the Wii U was out. When I first played it, I thought, "man, this looks nice for a Wii game!" But that's all; I didn't think it was gorgeous by any means. I just thought it had a great art style and was impressive for the hardware it was on.

Compared to the Wii U e3 build, Link's model and some environments seem to not be effected by the light source in some sequences in the Switch version. I don't think it was artistic reasons, I'm guessing but more likely an issue when porting maybe. Or they may have pulled the effect out of both versions, once we see more of the Wii U version we'll know for sure.

Switch:
https://abload.de/img/z-switch9ikqv.png

Wii U:
https://abload.de/img/z-wiiugojnp.png

Such a bummer if they indeed changed it in the final version on both consoles.

CrazyHorse

I thought Wind Waker looked stunning before it released, I still feel that way now.
I thought Twilight Princess looked quite ugly before release, still feel that way now.
I thought Skyward sword looked gorgeous, but that being in SD was a crime against IQ for such a beautiful game. Still feel the same. It's perfectly possible to draw visual conclusions before release, imo.

From everything I've seen so far from BotW I have to say it's a very mixed bag at best, and often very, very ugly. No idea why some think that holding such an opinion is clickbait. As for the comparison that seems to rile people up so much, I'll be playing both horizon and Zelda this week, both will vie for my time just as both vied for my money. Therefore they're in competition, to me anyway. I expect Zelda to be a far superior game but I won't give it a pass on the visual comparison.

What I like about BotW visually is the character cell shading, some of the animation, the grass fields, and the village scenes. What I dislike is the shocking IQ - the gamersyde direct feed vids really opened my eyes on this - along with the terrible textures, low poly environments, lack of texture filtering etc. That stuff isn't cell shaded enough to get a pass as 'art style's in the way WW and SS did, imo. And as a result Hyrule doesn't look like a real world to me, and in a game about exploring the wild that could well be an issue. Or maybe not, well see.

It's going to be an IQ step backwards from wwhd which I'm playing at the moment and that just feels strange for a new release.

Art style and atmosphere while playing the game is also important. Minds can change because of that. I didn't like how WW looked for the first few hows of playing it but then it dawned on me how much it was like a cartoon. My 5 year old niece sat down to watch it being played (and she didnt do that even for Mario games) and then I gave her the controller - and she loves playing it.

I thought TP looked a bit rough before I played it but the atmosphere made me love how it looks a mere minutes after picking it up.

phanphare

Banned
No, they shouldn't have waited. I'm not saying what Nintendo should have done INSTEAD. I'm just saying that the art style could have benefited massively from having better graphics quality. Graphics are extremely important to preserving the vision of the art style, and, simply put, BOTW's graphics are - in most cases - outdated. You may think that's fine, and I figure you do since you think TS1 also still holds up incredibly well (I disagree).

My whole point, again, is just this: without great graphic fidelity, a game doesn't do proper justice to the art style. I'm not speaking about what's subjectively acceptable graphics for each of us. Great graphics make a great art style even better.

I kind of feel where you're coming from but not really in other cases

But it DOES matter to a lot of us. Mario Galaxy looks good but its low resolution does so much injustice to it. I never played Mario Galaxy until after the Wii U was out. When I first played it, I thought, "man, this looks nice for a Wii game!" But that's all; I didn't think it was gorgeous by any means. I just thought it had a great art style and was impressive for the hardware it was on.

I guess my main point of contention is that you are drawing a line in the sand just short of what reality actually allows

Caelus

Are you still loving the game?!?!?

We're dying in here!

Let his tweets tell you:

Anyone worried about Zelda's music should know that -- according to this game music enthusiast -- there is plenty of terrific stuff in here.

Subject to change, of course, but thus far, preview impressions:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild is shaping up to be Nintendo's Magnum Opus.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is going to redefine a lot of people's standards.

40+ hours at this point. Barely scratched the surface.

When you effortlessly write an entire page of your review in 6 minutes because you have so much to say.

Fuck, I really need to get midterms over with.

Are you still loving the game?!?!?

We're dying in here!
Honestly I can't provide any specifics yet, just very general impressions to be safe. But I still have a long way to go before the game is finished... and Thursday is going to be a very interesting day.

This whole conversation about length people are having is a really misleading thing IMO. If we measured length alone, technically the game would measure up to around 1 hour, since that's hypothetically how long it would take someone to complete it if they rushed to the end. Estimates of time to complete the entirety of the main storyline I'm sure will be explored when it's allowed, and they might be slightly more practical, but even this is still heavily misleading, as no one in reality is ever going to skip around all of the other content—shrines, combat, treasure, side quests, exploration, mysteries—just to reach the next primary destination.

Even from the first five hours it is obvious that this game is absolutely massive.

Honestly I can't provide any specifics yet, just very general impressions to be safe. But I still have a long way to go before the game is finished... and Thursday is going to be a very interesting day.

This whole conversation about length people are having is a really misleading thing IMO. If we measured length alone, technically the game would measure up to around 1 hour, since that’s hypothetically how long it would take someone to complete it if they rushed to the end. Estimates of time to complete the entirety of the main storyline I'm sure will be explored when it's allowed, and they might be slightly more practical, but even this is still heavily misleading, as no one in reality is ever going to skip around all of the other content—shrines, combat, treasure, side quests, exploration, mysteries—just to reach the next primary destination.

Even from the first five hours it is obvious that this game is absolutely massive.

Thank you!

ZorgThePencil

Neo Member
I just noticed that Edge's review is up on the Switch Metacritic page, but it's not up for the Wii U page. Does this usually happen for games that release across generations?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
exactly. high end PCs merely existing doesn't make the best looking PS4 games lesser and PS4 existing doesn't make the best looking Wii U/Switch games lesser.

But it doesn't stop people who care about graphics from wishing whatever game was available on the most powerful hardware so they could have it looking as good as possible.

Those games do indeed look "lesser" to those people who care that much about graphics. The most they can really say is "that looks good for a PS4 game" or "that looks good for a Wii U game" etc.

yeah I don't get this argument either. it seems like you're stopping short of where you personally want to frame the narrative. I get wanting that from Nintendo but it certainly doesn't make the games that look gorgeous look any less gorgeous.

I'm not sure what you think I'm stopping short of, just expressing my opinion. Gorgeous games on lesser hardware do look less gorgeous. BOTW would look better on hardware that could do the art style with better textures, draw distances, 60FPS etc.

Does that mean it's not still a nice looking game, especially for those that like the artstyle? Of course not. But it would still look "more gorgeous" if Nintendo has put out more powerful hardware and that does make it lesser to me. Other's don't care and that's fine.

But they couldn't do that in the Switch's form factor. No matter how much people want to pretend they can(See any thread about a hypothetical new handheld from Sony).

Of course. And I've been clear that Switch likely just isn't for me as I have absolutely no use for portables. Time will tell whether the mass market does or not.

Absolutely. I'm very much a different strokes for different folks guy, especially with stuff as banal as hobbies like video games. :D Everyone has their own tastes and preferences. None superior to anyone elses.

Many love BOTW's artstyle, gameplay focus etc. and will be lapping that up the next few weeks. My copy will mostly go unplayed will I'm getting through Horizon as my preferences and tastes lean more toward realistic graphics (in non-realistic settings), strong focus on story and characters, dialogue trees/choices etc. these days. I only preordered Zelda as I'm worried the Wii U version will be tough to find after launch like TP was on GCN.

VanWinkle

I kind of feel where you're coming from but not really in other cases

I guess my main point of contention is that you are drawing a line in the sand just short of what reality actually allows

Well, regardless, I don't want to waste any more time with could-have-beens. I'm super excited for this game, and it's very impressive for a handheld. I just don't want it to be where certain people feel like you can't criticize the graphics quality or want something better in this game. Yes, I get that the art style is good. I think it is, too. But there are many elements about it wherein I seriously think that the art style would have benefited had the background had a lot more detail and geometry, if there were some anisotropic filtering so that textures didn't blur so fast, etc. Those aren't unreasonable things, mind you.

Anyway, I am pumped for the MANY non-visual aspects of this game that I will enjoy come March 3, as well as the occasional visuals that impress me a lot. And, honestly, when I first play it on the handheld, I'm sure I will be mightily impressed for what's coming out of that small device.

This whole conversation about length people are having is a really misleading thing IMO. If we measured length alone, technically the game would measure up to around 1 hour, since that’s hypothetically how long it would take someone to complete it if they rushed to the end. Estimates of time to complete the entirety of the main storyline I'm sure will be explored when it's allowed, and they might be slightly more practical, but even this is still heavily misleading, as no one in reality is ever going to skip around all of the other content—shrines, combat, treasure, side quests, exploration, mysteries—just to reach the next primary destination.

Is the overworld as humongous as engineering Hyrule estimated?

phanphare

Banned
But it doesn't stop people who care about graphics from wishing whatever game was available on the most powerful hardware so they could have it looking as good as possible.

Those games do indeed look "lesser" to those people who care that much about graphics. The most they can really say is "that looks good for a PS4 game" or "that looks good for a Wii U game" etc.

I'm not sure what you think I'm stopping short of, just expressing my opinion. Gorgeous games on lesser hardware do look less gorgeous. BOTW would look better on hardware that could do the art style with better textures, draw distances, 60FPS etc.

Does that mean it's not still a nice looking game, especially for those that like the artstyle? Of course not. But it would still look "more gorgeous" if Nintendo has put out more powerful hardware and that does make it lesser to me. Other's don't care and that's fine.

like I said the main thing I'm having trouble with here is the hypotheticals being brought out to reflect reality. literally every game ever made would look better on more powerful hardware but that's not the reality of the situation so who cares? I guess you I just don't see the logic personally.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
This. Played WW on WiiU mostly in bed.

I can't do it.

1. The button presses etc. would drive my fiance crazy (tried playing 3DS/Vita in bed when I had them).

2. The light ends up making me not able to sleep. I have enough issues sleeping so I try to avoid screens for an hour or two before sleeping.

3. I just can't play these type of games on a smalls screen. Anything where I care about the graphics, art style, soaking in the world etc. I just feel like I'm missing out too much by playing on a small screen. Similar reason I still shell out and go to the theater for movies where I care about the visuals.

Top Bottom