• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

This is correct. DC has existed (primarily through written reviews) as a website for nearly a decade and a most of our staff has been doing games press stuff for ever longer. Our YouTube presence, while valuable, is incidental in getting product early.
What he said. YouTube presence =/= success as a media outlet. We're still relatively small compared to the big guys, of course, but our Senior Editors have a ton of experience in this industry combined. It's mostly a labor of love. :)

As a side note, most of our historical reviews are currently offline during a site restructuring. Not that anyone's probably looking, but in case you're wondering where all of the 1,500 reviews went, they're not back up on the site yet.

I thought Skyward sword looked gorgeous, but that being in SD was a crime against IQ for such a beautiful game.

Agreed! I'm about 3/4th of the way through my first play through of SS right now. I knew virtually nothing about it before I started, and when I did I was immediately like "holy shit, they painted all the backgrounds and added a bokah effect in the distance to make it look like a water color painting come to life.

Skyward Sword is absolutely gorgeous IMO, one of the most beautiful games I've ever played. I really hope they figure out how to do an HD remaster of it because it is a goddamn shame and as you said a crime to have such a unique visual style trapped on SD hardware. I think I've seen a screen or two from Dolphin that looked incredible, but they removed the bokah effect from the background for whatever reason.

Also for what it's worth, Skyward Sword might be the first game I've ever played that has made me cry. I wasn't prepared for the emotional gut punch of the exposition sequence between Link and Zelda before you start looking for the final song. I understand that the motion controls aren't for everyone (I've yelled at my screen several times in frustration for sure) but the game is still truly wonderful IMO. I'm enjoying it MUCH more than Twilight Princess.

Breath of the Wild is gonna wreck me if Skyward Sword has me this shook.

PrimeBeef

Skyward Sword is absolutely gorgeous IMO, one of the most beautiful games I've ever played. I really hope they figure out how to do an HD remaster of it because it is a goddamn shame and as you said a crime to have such a unique visual style trapped on SD hardware. I think I've seen a screen or two from Dolphin that looked incredible, but they removed the bokah effect from the background for whatever reason.

I think the HD ruins it IMO. It's supposed to look like an impressionist painting. I've seen the Dolphin HD in pictures and in motion and it looses it's charm. Sure it looks cleaner and more detailed but that is not what it was supposed to look like.

ReyVGM

Yooooooooooooooo this Hyrule Castle theme! If anyone was doubting the OST they will be surprised for sure. SPOILERS

Edit: the guy has another theme as well but big spoilers obviously.

Is it just me, but did anyone get the feeling the song is about to burst out and play Ballad of the Wind Fish from Link's Awakening from a particular set of notes that repeat several times in that track? The note starts at 0:21 in that video. I swears it, it's the beginning note of the Ballad of the Wind Fish.

takriel

Is it just me, but did anyone get the feeling the song is about to burst out and play Ballad of the Wind Fish from Link's Awakening from a particular set of notes that repeat several times in that track? The note starts at 0:21 in that video. I swears it, it's the beginning note of the Ballad of the Wind Fish.
Yep thought the same! What a lovely hommage.

Btw, does the other spoiler track spoil something in the title? Or is it safe to continue browsing YouTube for now?

ReyVGM

Yep thought the same! What a lovely hommage.

Btw, does the other spoiler track spoil something in the title? Or is it safe to continue browsing YouTube for now?

Well, the other track clearly says the name of the track is in the description due to spoilers, so I would advise not to even go there.

ReyVGM

Not clicking on that castle theme link, but fuuuuuu you guy's impressions are making me giddy. Can't wait to hear it in-game.

It's great. It's got that modern music style, but with an actual melody. It also has heroism, dread, and nostalgia.

Actually, music (without descriptions) is not a spoiler for me. I actually like listening to the soundtrack before playing games, gives me time to love the music.

LotusHD

Banned
This will be one of the few times I don't listen to the music for a game beforehand. Mainly because it's a slippery slope for me lol

The temptation to listen to the Hyrule Castle theme is so real but I know I'll accidentally scroll down and read the description or a spoiler comment etc so I'll refrain. Ughhhhhhh

ReyVGM

Yooooooooooooooo this Hyrule Castle theme! If anyone was doubting the OST they will be surprised for sure. SPOILERS

Edit: the guy has another theme as well but big spoilers obviously.

*not spoiler* BALLAD OF THE WIND FISH GO GO GO GOOOO!!!

*It just sounds like it, it's not really in it.

The temptation to listen to the Hyrule Castle theme is so real but I know I'll accidentally scroll down and read the description or a spoiler comment etc so I'll refrain. Ughhhhhhh

I did, no spoilers so far. Don't click on his other music track though, he didn't even put the name of it on the title due to it being a spoiler.

jariw

It's great. It's got that modern music style, but with an actual melody. It also has heroism, dread, and nostalgia.

Actually, music (without descriptions) is not a spoiler for me. I actually like listening to the soundtrack before playing games, gives me time to love the music.

And it use the piano extensively against the orchestral stuff. With all the use of piano music in the ambient soundtracks, it's almost like the piano becomes Link's instrument.

LordKano

There's actual full-screen screenshots of the Wii-U version as well.

Also, images/video of the final cutscenes, bosses, etcetera. So get off the damn internet if you care about not being spoiled.

Do you have a link to some full screenshots of the Wii U version, early in the game ? For comparison sake.

Plum

There's actual full-screen screenshots of the Wii-U version as well.

Also, images/video of the final cutscenes, bosses, etcetera. So get off the damn internet if you care about not being spoiled.

God damn. I'm almost afraid of staying on GAF even though it hasn't happened in the past.

I don't know why I had a shred of doubt about the music in this game. It's incredible.

This is unbearable. One work day almost done, but three to go!!

Yes! this!, I want to laugh at the people that called me out for suggesting the WiiU might look better, please be there lol

The interior lighting in the final Wii U version is the same as it is on Switch.

Not really a spoiler, but I'm linking the image anyway. Check the bottom three screens.

RG0BS1U.gif

Can't laugh for now, boy.

Top Bottom