• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Dystify

The guy who bumped it has posted in this thread a bunch, so no way he did it on accident. Sucks someone has to be that one to go for the "lolz".

Oh well. Things happen. The guy who posted a screenshot of the thread just made me realize the dark GAF theme is a thing. I now need to check how the layout looks in that. :p

Oh well. Things happen. The guy who posted a screenshot of the thread just made me realize the dark GAF theme is a thing. I now need to check how the layout looks in that. :p

We'll call it GAF's law: if someone can be a dick and unfunny, it will happen.

But yeah - Dark GAF theme is the way to go.

Honestly I can't provide any specifics yet, just very general impressions to be safe. But I still have a long way to go before the game is finished... and Thursday is going to be a very interesting day.

This whole conversation about length people are having is a really misleading thing IMO. If we measured length alone, technically the game would measure up to around 1 hour, since that’s hypothetically how long it would take someone to complete it if they rushed to the end. Estimates of time to complete the entirety of the main storyline I'm sure will be explored when it's allowed, and they might be slightly more practical, but even this is still heavily misleading, as no one in reality is ever going to skip around all of the other content—shrines, combat, treasure, side quests, exploration, mysteries—just to reach the next primary destination.

Even from the first five hours it is obvious that this game is absolutely massive.
Hey just wanted to thank you for giving us something else to read. Glad you are enjoying it.

Really quick; people keep on posting pictures of the area in a shrine where Link is at the pedestal and isn't receiving real time lighting from it. There are plenty of videos on YouTube now that show that the retail Switch version still has Link receiving real time lighting from camp fires and other light sources. The shrine pedestal is an isolated case where Link does not receive the lighting that you would expect. The lighting was not downgraded.

People are able to play this on CEMU already?

No, on their Wii U. CEMU encountered some problems for now.

Really quick; people keep on posting pictures of the area in a shrine where Link is at the pedestal and isn't receiving real time lighting from it. There are plenty of videos on YouTube now that show that the retail Switch version still has Link receiving real time lighting from camp fires and other light sources. The shrine pedestal is an isolated case where Link does not receive the lighting that you would expect. The lighting was not downgraded.

The real discussion is if the lighting INDOORS as in ANY SHRINE is downgraded.

ASIS

I'm watching a stream right now of the game installing. I'll post it in the spoiler thread if it turns out to work. Could be like 20 minutes or so. Could also just set this guy's Wii-U on fire, I don't know.

link?

PM of course, don't post it here.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
like I said the main thing I'm having trouble with here is the hypotheticals being brought out to reflect reality. literally every game ever made would look better on more powerful hardware but that's not the reality of the situation so who cares? I guess you I just don't see the logic personally.

Ah, I get that I guess. It's just different for me here because Nintendo is putting out such inferior hardware to their competitors (who launched over 3 years ago) and prioritizing features I don't care about like portability over graphical fidelity.

So I see that as different than like the Toy Story 1 to 3 example where it would have been a matter of waiting years for tech to improve, it's just a matter of one company putting out tech that's years behind current standards.

That's frustrating to me, where as holding off on games for years for tech to improve is absurd. I get that you just don't care and aren't put off by wishing a game like BOTW was on hardware equivalent to your PS4 Pro or PC like I am, and that's fine. I just view it as my gaming time is limited and anytime I'm "slumming it" with lesser looking games on lesser hardware is time that could go to a game I both love looking at and playing on my more powerful platforms. It's a testament to my love of Zelda that I'm excited for BOTW at all given that.

phanphare

Banned
Ah, I get that I guess. It's just different for me here because Nintendo is putting out such inferior hardware to their competitors (who launched over 3 years ago) and prioritizing features I don't care about like portability over graphical fidelity.

So I see that as different than like the Toy Story 1 to 3 example where it would have been a matter of waiting years for tech to improve, it's just a matter of one company putting out tech that's years behind current standards.

That's frustrating to me, where as holding off on games for years for tech to improve is absurd. I get that you just don't care and aren't put off by wishing a game like BOTW was on hardware equivalent to your PS4 Pro or PC like I am, and that's fine. I just view it as my gaming time is limited and anytime I'm "slumming it" with lesser looking games on lesser hardware is time that could go to a game I both love looking at and playing on my more powerful platforms. It's a testament to my love of Zelda that I'm excited for BOTW at all given that.

this is sort of what I meany by drawing the line in the sand just short of where you want to frame the narrative. so Switch is inferior to other hardware on the market? so what? Xbox One is, PS4 is, PS4 Pro is, Scorpio will be, etc. etc. etc. like I said I get wanting more but again that could apply to every game and console ever made and likely ever will be made except maybe the x360 where it was actually using top of the line graphics (I believe) for its time. I don't know, I can sort of see where you're coming from I just don't fully get the logic because to me it seems like you're picking and choosing where to apply that logic. though I can be logical to a fault ;p

Listonosh

Problem solving

iJGiLISlzVo1q.gif

Fireworks
F8HpmlrLmYAU.gif

what the...?! Holy hell, I've put in a lot of hours into this game, and NEVER thought of trying anything like that. That's fucking rad!

jariw

Yooooooooooooooo this Hyrule Castle theme! If anyone was doubting the OST they will be surprised for sure. SPOILERS

Edit: the guy has another theme as well but big spoilers obviously.

Wow!!! The music make perfect sense with the stuff we've heard so far. And the theme at approx 1:30 is introduced perfectly.

Will probably be around 80+ gaming hours until I hear the music in the game though.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
this is sort of what I meany by drawing the line in the sand just short of where you want to frame the narrative. so Switch is inferior to other hardware on the market? so what? Xbox One is, PS4 is, PS4 Pro is, Scorpio will be, etc. etc. etc. like I said I get wanting more but again that could apply to every game and console ever made and likely ever will be made except maybe the x360 where it was actually using top of the line graphics (I believe) for its time. I don't know, I can sort of see where you're coming from I just don't fully get the logic because to me it seems like you're picking and choosing where to apply that logic. though I can be logical to a fault ;p

Yeah, you're trying to apply logic to simple personal preferences which don't have to be logical. :D

Everyone has different standards for the minimal level of graphical fidelity they can accept relative to the currently best available hardware is a simpler way of stating what I was getting at I guess.

I'm fine with BOTW as a Wii U game, as it's a game on 5+ year old hardware that was underpowered at time of release. However, I'll have a hard time buying a Switch before major price drops/bundles/deals as it's just way below current console graphical fidelity, and costs more than Slim bundles of the other two. It's so far below I'm not sure it will ever appeal to me honestly.

It's a GREAT portable for those into portables, just disappointing for us console only folks who were hoping for a true new console from Nintendo (even if not all the way up to PS4 power levels).

I have gone almost exclusively TV mode, with handheld play constituting probably roughly 1/20th of the time I've spent with the game... in other words, just 3 hours or so.

Thanks... So, do I piss off the wife or experience it on a smaller screen...

These are the defining decisions of our lives...

VanWinkle

But there is a generally accepted standard for consoles and PCs in the industry. That standard is SOMEWHAT relative to the hardware it's on, but much. Even gamers with high end gaming PCs would say Horizon has excellent graphic fidelity.

And, just as a general point about Nintendo not prioritizing graphics, Nintendo DEVS at least must care about graphic fidelity, since they always have the best looking games on the Nintendo systems.

But, like I said, we can't waste time wishing the Switch was more powerful. As a handheld, Switch has good power, and as a handheld game, BOTW looks great. If the Switch was going to be the next Nintendo console for me, I would have be super disappointed. I have to think of it purely as a handheld that I can also connect to the TV if I want to.

piss off the wife, definitely. I would do the same if I were in your shoes :p

Hah solidarity!

Just get your own bed.

I have no problem playing it on the Switch screen in bed, that's kinda one of the reasons I'm so excited for it. I just don't know if I should FIRST play it on the 61'' TV downstairs at like 1am while she's asleep or in bed.

The Fireworks one impressed me the most

After I saw that my hope is now that some upgrade lets you drop multiple bombs at once, for a massive multi-point fireworks display.

Listonosh

This looks like just the respawn of the enemies in the overworld. If I am correct, hope you don't have to watch that sequence every time it happens. Still a strange way to do it tho, almost feels like Bloodborne.

Sorry, not sure if this was already answered, but yeah, the sequence plays out every time it happens. You can thankfully skip it though

KingBroly

Banned
Hah solidarity!

I have no problem playing it on the Switch screen in bed, that's kinda one of the reasons I'm so excited for it. I just don't know if I should FIRST play it on the 61'' TV downstairs at like 1am while she's asleep or in bed.

After I saw that my hope is now that some upgrade lets you drop multiple bombs at once, for a massive multi-point fireworks display.

Square Bomb and a Regular Bomb would be what I'd use

sarcoa

They're also on Metacritic though: http://www.metacritic.com/publication/digital-chumps

So they're up there high enough to the point where they're receiving review copies of games and whatnot.

They look like a website first, and a YouTube channel second, third, or somewhere else at the bottom of the list. Just keep that in mind when you stumble upon low view count or subscriber count YouTube channels with a Switch. Their YouTube channel isn't indicative of their success as a website.
This is correct. DC has existed (primarily through written reviews) as a website for nearly a decade and a most of our staff has been doing games press stuff for ever longer. Our YouTube presence, while valuable, is incidental in getting product early.

Listonosh

Well we got a skip at least. Did you ever time how long it takes for the sequence to start.

I didn't but you can still move around freely once the
Blood Moon starts rising
and the
sky turns red
. I'd say that whole sequence takes around 20 seconds or so. After the 20 seconds the little video that you can skip plays, but you have to watch like the first 2 seconds or so until the skip button appears.

I didn't but you can still move around freely once the
Blood Moon starts rising
and the
sky turns red
. I'd say that whole sequence takes around 20 seconds or so. After the 20 seconds the little video that you can skip plays, but you have to watch like the first 2 seconds or so until the skip button appears.

I more meant, when does the cycle start again in real time (since it's every few in-game days).

Top Bottom