• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Gamecentral's:

Having just completed it, we couldn’t help but think of Horizon Zero Dawn while playing Breath Of The Wild, and how simplistic it now seems compared to Zelda. You also have a bow in Breath Of The Wild, but you have to account for how arrows arc through the air, rather than it just acting like a low-tech sniper rifle. Boomerangs have to be caught manually on their return and the best way to defeat the skeletons that appear at night is to chop of their head and punt it into a river, like a goalkeeper trying to make a clearance.[/I]

Wow

Previews sound great. Disliked Skyward Sword so I was always a bit apprehensive about this, but everything is sounding fantastic.

Dystify

I've gotten multiple messages that asked me to put a certain quote in the OP that compares it to a certain game, but no, sorry. This is all about Zelda.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Juniors be tag fishing.

If you only started playing games in late 2013, doesn't that contradict the bit where you say you played the first Zelda and played games in the early 90s?

GOD DAMMIT did I just get trolled?

In case you genuinely are serious:
It's not getting torn apart for graphics because it is very deliberately trying to evoke this style. This is a stylistic choice on the part of the devs, not because they just can't program realistic graphics. This style gives is a charm and timeless quality which cannot be said for games which go for the pseudo real look as there will always be later games which surpass them.

You must not read well, as I stated I just started gaming again in many threads. Hence why I said I haven't played anything since the 90s. Don't call people trolls unless you have proof that they are, it makes you look ridiculous.

I asked a question and it has been answered many times. If you don't like a question, don't bother answering.

Edit: I don't even know what tag fishing is.

On topic, I have been looking at some of the past games I have missed and I have missed a lot of cool looking Zelda games.

Chinbo37

On top of all this mine is pre ordered through Amazon UK so I wont get it until a day or 2 after :(

I can barely contain myself!

Caelus

Lol it looks like Shadow of the Colossus graphics, a PS2 game. God you fanboys get so defensive. I have a switch pre-ordered and will be getting Zelda day one. I'm just pointing out the obvious visuals. Keep kidding yourself then, its fine.

At least put more effort into it.

RRockman

Banned
One thing I'm really excited about is how the game will look and feel once you get good at it. Games like KH, DMC, MGS5 and Vanquish look like freaking animes/action movies in action once the player is good. And I can't wait to be able to raid enemy outposts and empty them with head shots in between swordfights.

Is there a reputation system in place? Like if you pick off all of the monster's buddies will the remaining one try to run away instead of trying to fight you?

helium121

Banned
I remember when they delayed this because they thought they had the ability to create a really special Zelda game. It really sounds as though they pulled it off.

Looks huge and fun. PS2 graphics though... seriously. Washed out and flat with very little detail. I find it hard to believe that it was the actual art direction choice, but more of a hardware limitation for how big the game/world actually is.

Game videos are compressed. It will look better in person.

3199635-2017022317584100-f1c11a22faee3b82f21b330e1b786a39.jpg

We Assassins now!

killroy87

You must not read well, as I stated I just started gaming again in many threads. Hence why I said I haven't played anything since the 90s. Don't call people trolls unless you have proof that they are, it makes you look ridiculous.

I asked a question and it has been answered many times. If you don't like a question, don't bother answering.

Don't take it personally, you worded your post terribly.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Giant Bomb was extremely positive on the bombcast, just overly gushing about the game in general. Some snippets:

- Very lively, does not feel empty at all
- Multiple towns
- sense of discovery unlike any other Zelda since the first Zelda
- constant feeling of accomplishment when discovering new stuff
- Discovered an area where enemies killed you in one hit
- Discovered first dungeon in 25 hours
- unlike with Skyward Sword, wasn't trying to push through the "bullshit" to get the first dungeon because they were enjoying the world of BOTW so much.
- no handholding, learn the mechanics through your own gameplay experiences
- All shrines so far can be solved with all the Stasis mechanics given early in the game
- going to be a "long" review, so much to talk about
- frame dips at times, specifically in towns with weather and NPCs effecting drops. Not frequent though
- graphically, it was strange to go straight from Horizon to BOTW but obviously they have totally different artsyles

Not sure, but gamexplain said the NPCs react dynamically to the weather, such as rushing indoors when rain starts

Wasn't sure what we were allowed to talk about here. But allow me to offer a bit more detail since it's been discussed (and it appears after reviewing guidelines it's okay as long as it isn't specific): NPCs have conversations that are literally dynamic. Their commentary changes according to not only weather, but even factors such as time of day and what you are holding or doing at times. And the dialogue is integrated into the conversation; it isn't a separate bubble or an obviously out-of-place blurb. It actually seems authentic.

unrealist

Lol it looks like Shadow of the Colossus graphics, a PS2 game. God you fanboys get so defensive. I have a switch pre-ordered and will be getting Zelda day one. I'm just pointing out the obvious visuals. Keep kidding yourself then, its fine.

shadow-of-the-colossus-gameplay1.jpg

You are saying they look the same?

Hermii

This game pushes the Wii U to its limits and is a huge technical achievement. Sure it's not nearly as good as horizon but for what it is it's amazing.

Dystify

Giant Bomb was extremely positive on the bombcast, just overly gushing about the game in general. Some snippets:

- Multiple towns
- unlike with Skyward Sword, wasn't trying to push through the "bullshit" to get the first dungeon because they were enjoying the world of BOTW so much.
- All shrines so far can be solved with all the Stasis mechanics given early in the game
- frame dips at times, specifically in towns with weather and NPCs effecting drops. Not frequent though
- graphically, it was strange to go straight from Horizon to BOTW but obviously they have totally different artsyles

Can you link it for me please? Thanks. :)

Ouroboros

Looks huge and fun. PS2 graphics though... seriously. Washed out and flat with very little detail. I find it hard to believe that it was the actual art direction choice, but more of a hardware limitation for how big the game/world actually is.

thatsbait.gif

Seriously, if you aren't going to add any constructive comments or feedback, why even post?

_DrMario_

I hope there's a Master Sword we can find not too far in the game because fuck that constant weapon switching because of durability.

- Multiple towns

Hot damn.

- Multiple towns

I keep saying I'm out of this thread and maybe now I should make it official. What more is there to say? Game is gonna be killer.

Nilaul

Imagine if link's destruction to the eco-system was permanent and it would effect effect how over NPC view him as, potentially turning them against Link.

If Link burns down the whole of Hyrule, you would be pretty mad? Even inclined to kill him if that means saving your live stock.

On topic, I have been looking at some of the past games I have missed and I have missed a lot of cool looking Zelda games.

I still don't understand what you mean when you say you started gaming four years ago but haven't played anything since the '90s.

LotusHD

Banned

- Multiple towns

Jesus lmao, and yet they still loved it, that sounds amazing

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Don't take it personally, you worded your post terribly.

I don't take it personally, I stated in the second paragrapgh I haven't gamed since the early 90s, that's why I was wondering about the technical side.

I just think it is funny how people throw that word around without any proof, it is foolish to say the least.

You need to be 13 to have a GAF account dude. You sound like someone who's only seen emulated PS2 shots or some shit. Jut stop digging this hole of ignorance, because you're already pretty far down and I don't see you getting out

just tell me if the wii u version is gonna be ok, tell me that and i'll buy a wii u and this game right now!

As soon as I read that you have to account for wind when shooting a bow i knew i had to buy this.

The biggest favor Guerrilla Games will get is that its game is being compared to Zelda. And I, for one, am fine with that. GG is a great team of people and deserve to succeed from everything I've seen.

All good videogames deserve success.

Top Bottom