• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

LotusHD

Banned
I've gotten multiple messages that asked me to put a certain quote in the OP that compares it to a certain game, but no, sorry. This is all about Zelda.

Damn people are petty huh

Lol it looks like Shadow of the Colossus graphics, a PS2 game. God you fanboys get so defensive. I have a switch pre-ordered and will be getting Zelda day one. I'm just pointing out the obvious visuals. Keep kidding yourself then, its fine.

Once again, just no.

Yeah, I just did a quick test, capturing the same scene in handheld and docked mode.

I think Docked Mode has some color issues and that's where the haze in captured videos comes from. Doesn't have anything to do with compression.

Giant Bomb was extremely positive on the bombcast, just overly gushing about the game in general. Some snippets:

- Very lively, does not feel empty at all
- Multiple towns
- sense of discovery unlike any other Zelda since the first Zelda
- constant feeling of accomplishment when discovering new stuff
- Discovered an area where enemies killed you in one hit
- Discovered first dungeon in 25 hours
- unlike with Skyward Sword, wasn't trying to push through the "bullshit" to get the first dungeon because they were enjoying the world of BOTW so much.
- no handholding, learn the mechanics through your own gameplay experiences
- All shrines so far can be solved with all the Stasis mechanics given early in the game
- going to be a "long" review, so much to talk about
- frame dips at times, specifically in towns with weather and NPCs effecting drops. Not frequent though
- graphically, it was strange to go straight from Horizon to BOTW but obviously they have totally different artsyles

Half of that we weren't allowed to talk about!

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I still don't understand what you mean when you say you started gaming four years ago but haven't played anything since the '90s.

In the second paragrapgh I said that I haven't games since the early 90s. I am new to the technical side of this since I hadn't pick up a controller since then. That was all.

Meaning, I just started gaming again in 2013.

I don't want to throw this thread off, if this was a misunderstanding, I'll own it. My bad.

Caelus

C5aliicWcAI2van.jpg:large

From the Zelda Facebook page, since this is the Zelda hype thread right now thought it'd be fitting here.

Rodin

I doubt it's an error. Odds are it fucks up performance in the bigger shrines
But it's still in the open world, we discussed this even too much.

shadow-of-the-colossus-gameplay1.jpg

You are saying they look the same?

That's a bullshot btw lol, it didn't run in 1024x575

Yeah, I just did a quick test, capturing the same scene in handheld and docked mode.

I think Docked Mode has some color issues and that's where the haze in captured videos comes from. Doesn't have anything to do with compression.

Can you try to put both the console and the TV in full RGB range?

A lot of the previews here read like extensions of the already impressive E3 preview from last year, so it's not a huge surprise really. If anything, for it to be less glowing than what we've heard would be the real surprise. It's no surprise, looking at how Zelda is treated, that this is Nintendo being 100% confident in the product. More so than any Nintendo game I've seen in years, even Smash/Kart.

That being said, to hear that NPC and world is lively is really exciting. The biggest concern I had for the game was that it might be a bit too empty, but if it's dynamic with a lot of rich NPC interaction that is great.

Peltz

Giant Bomb was extremely positive on the bombcast, just overly gushing about the game in general. Some snippets:

- Multiple towns
- unlike with Skyward Sword, wasn't trying to push through the "bullshit" to get the first dungeon because they were enjoying the world of BOTW so much.
- All shrines so far can be solved with all the Stasis mechanics given early in the game
- frame dips at times, specifically in towns with weather and NPCs effecting drops. Not frequent though
- graphically, it was strange to go straight from Horizon to BOTW but obviously they have totally different artsyles

25 hours before hitting the first dungeon. WOWOWOW

You mentioned gyro aiming is on by default. How does it work when the JoyCons are separated, like if you are holding one in each hand?

I think it was in the preview by Gamexplain, they drew a comparison between the npc outines in BotW and MM, and stressed that the npc routines in BotW were more elaborate. That has me excited. I just wish someone could say something about the story. Can't really wait 5 days longer for a review.

MADGAME

Either Link has a part time job as janitor of Hyrule or he will literally mop the floor with enemies.

or mop up Bokoblin dung

Untitled_zpsfjefhvsp.jpg

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

- Multiple towns
First dungeon in 25 hours? Yep, now I'm definitely worried.

ekim

Is there any noticeable difference outside of the resolution between the two modes? (less grass, shorter draw distance etc)

Gurish

I'm a PS4 only owner but going by the previews even I can admit it seems like an easy GOTY winner and the best game this gen so far, obviously if it will keep this level for the entire game.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Also, Giant Bomb confirmed that the same quirky charm of the recent Zelda games is all over Breath of the Wild.

I'm assuming they are referring to the NPCs/towns.

Wasn't sure what we were allowed to talk about here. But allow me to offer a bit more detail since it's been discussed (and it appears after reviewing guidelines it's okay as long as it isn't specific): NPCs have conversations that are literally dynamic. Their commentary changes according to not only weather, but even factors such as time of day and what you are holding or doing at times. And the dialogue is integrated into the conversation; it isn't a separate bubble or an obviously out-of-place blurb. It actually seems authentic.

cYanmPn.gif

This game sounds like it's going to be outstanding and I'm getting the sense of anticipation and euphoria I got just before OoT dropped.

I'm still not reading the previews though. I'm on a total blackout but the quotes in OP have me so excited.

phanphare

Banned
Looks huge and fun. PS2 graphics though... seriously. Washed out and flat with very little detail. I find it hard to believe that it was the actual art direction choice, but more of a hardware limitation for how big the game/world actually is.

so you've never played a ps2 game

;p

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Is the Beastcast spoilery at all, or can I hear it without being afraid?

geordiemp

http://www.gamerevolution.com/featu...he-wild-is-like-the-witness-meets-dont-starve
Although players were solving line puzzles rather than interacting with full 3D environments, the game flow of completing quick puzzle sections with travel in-between is a quality that both games share. And just like in The Witness

There are times I've felt like I'm playing a survival game, most notably Don't Starve

I wish I could say I enjoy the combat. It's not that it's bad, it's just boring

Best write up explaining ow the game plays - great if you like survival and exploration.

spekkeh

Banned
I'm pretty new to gaming as I have said, I only started in late 2013, but can someone explain to me why this game isn't getting torn to shreds for it visuals? The pixelation, it is smudgy, barely any detail on anything, the white haze across the screen, etc. I don't know all the proper names for things, sorry.

Is this just the way the games are, or is it because it is Zelda? I have seen games get chopped to bits because of this, I'm just wondering, as I have a Switch on pre-order and I can't wait to play this game. The last Zelda game I played was the first as I have games since the early 90s, so I am still learning my way around this hobby.

No need to beat me up either, I am curious.
1080p60™ was a very successful PR strategy by Sony on the back of which they sold a ton of PS4s. Before 2013 very few people really cared about perfect IQ; after the SNES the weakest console won out every single time. People by and large didn't give a shit. Now that Sony GAF + PC GAF make up 60% of our community, you'll hear people incessantly talking about jaggies and image quality like it means something (this will likely die out some time after Scorpio releases).

It being Zelda at best makes game journalists and fans for a second realize this series is a lot older than the clean graphics malarkey, so in that sense might influence the way people talk about it yeah.

Roi

What? Discovering the first temple after 25 hours?! How is that a positive thing?! I'm playing Twilight Princess right now and that is almost the play time I have right now and I'm at 3/4 of the game!

e65.gif

I'm living vicariously through this thread, as the only preview I touched was the one from Retronauts. No offense to any other outlets, I just do not want to overload myself on hype.

My expectations are already well above a comfortable ceiling... just have to make it several more days.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't sure what we were allowed to talk about here. But allow me to offer a bit more detail since it's been discussed (and it appears after reviewing guidelines it's okay as long as it isn't specific): NPCs have conversations that are literally dynamic. Their commentary changes according to not only weather, but even factors such as time of day and what you are holding or doing at times. And the dialogue is integrated into the conversation; it isn't a separate bubble or an obviously out-of-place blurb. It actually seems authentic.
This blew my mind more than anything else in the previews. That's amazing

killroy87

Half of that we weren't allowed to talk about!

Haha, I was gonna ask, but not really my place.

What? Discovering the first temple after 25 hours?! How is that a positive thing?!

e65.gif
Because they were having so much fun being sidetracked. It doesn't mean the first dungeon takes 25 hours to get to. Just that they personally took that time

Top Bottom