• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Metalgus

Banned
IDK who GameXplain is, but, their quote made me smile from side to side

Can't wait

They're great. They do the usual previews-reviews-discussions but they are best known for their massive trailer analysis. But yeah, they are big Nintendo fans so sometimes you have to take them with a grain of salt (thouth they do seem pretty objective usually). Check them out on Youtube.

LotusHD

Banned
What? Discovering the first temple after 25 hours?! How is that a positive thing?!

e65.gif

I took it as positive due to the fact that it took that long, and yet they're still gushing about the game, which presumably means that the world is just that fun and interesting to explore and get lost in. They did not mind at all being sidetracked. Plus as we all know by now, everyone has their own routes they can take when playing this game, so if someone is overly focused on getting to the dungeons, I highly doubt it would take that long.

KORNdoggy

i'm sure the game will be fun and innovative. but boy are the visuals ropey. if there is a ton of grass being drawn in it looks serviceable. but the footage i've seen out towards the "grass" topped cliff edges looks so bad. flat textures, flat lighting, low poly. i would have expected some more consistency from nintendo, at least on the switch version where i'd assume it has more power to play with.

Pinky

Banned
First dungeon in 25 hours? Yep, now I'm definitely worried.

But they mention this:

- unlike with Skyward Sword, wasn't trying to push through the "bullshit" to get the first dungeon because they were enjoying the world of BOTW so much.

Everyones' experience will be different. Some will want to push forward to advance the game/story and some will want to spend time exploring the world and discovering everything it has to offer. I'm sure you can get to the first dungeon in a much lesser time than 25 hours if you choose to do so.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
1080p60™ was a very successful PR strategy by Sony on the back of which they sold a ton of PS4s. Before 2013 very few people really cared about perfect IQ; after the SNES the weakest console won out every single time. People by and large didn't give a shit. Now that Sony GAF + PC GAF make up 60% of our community, you'll hear people incessantly talking about jaggies and image quality like it means something (this will likely die out some time after Scorpio releases).

It being Zelda at best makes game journalists and fans for a second realize this series is a lot older than the clean graphics malarkey, so in that sense might influence the way people talk about it yeah.

Your absoulutely corect, it seems as there is now a standard that has to be met and if it isn't, a game gets smoke checked for it. I don't even really play games for the gameplay, I am a very big book reader and video games give me a chance to play books that come to life. I love storylines and digging into lore, it is one of my favorite aspects of video games.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
First dungeon in 25 hours? Yep, now I'm definitely worried.

Just to clarify, they specifically said you can beeline straight to the castle, so I don't see why you couldn't make a beeline to a duengon if wanted.

They also said that they have the impression that everything is open to player and anything is possible to accomplish from the get go. Now whatever you are trying to accomplish might be hard as hell, but you do have that choice.

LotusHD

Banned
This is mine, in Italian, if someone is interested:
http://www.switchitalia.it/2017/02/24/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/

Basically, the game seems VERY promising, even for someone like me that doesn't love open world games "per sé".
The level of detail offered so far is incredible, to me. The "sperimentation" they push the player to do in so many aspects of the game is outstanding

I've said it before, but damn, if I don't come out loving Zelda's take on open world games, then I probably will never truly "love" the genre.

Peltz

Wasn't sure what we were allowed to talk about here. But allow me to offer a bit more detail since it's been discussed (and it appears after reviewing guidelines it's okay as long as it isn't specific): NPCs have conversations that are literally dynamic. Their commentary changes according to not only weather, but even factors such as time of day and what you are holding or doing at times. And the dialogue is integrated into the conversation; it isn't a separate bubble or an obviously out-of-place blurb. It actually seems authentic.

Nintendo sorcery

Chaos17

Wasn't sure what we were allowed to talk about here. But allow me to offer a bit more detail since it's been discussed (and it appears after reviewing guidelines it's okay as long as it isn't specific): NPCs have conversations that are literally dynamic. Their commentary changes according to not only weather, but even factors such as time of day and what you are holding or doing at times. And the dialogue is integrated into the conversation; it isn't a separate bubble or an obviously out-of-place blurb. It actually seems authentic.

Nintendo putting some Animal crossing interaction, god damn, I'm never going to be able to leave a village am I ? XD

!!!!

Mother of god... it truly is a classic PC RPG reborn.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Your absoulutely corect, it seems as there is now a standard that has to be met and if it isn't, a game gets smoke checked for it. I don't even really play games for the gameplay, I am a very big book reader and video games give me a chance to play books that come to life. I love storylines and digging into lore, it is one of my favorite aspects of video games.
Sounds like you should devoure/like zelda then. It seems to evolve around exploration of the world, finding out stuff about the worlds lore and solve puzzles with survival thrown into the mix all of that with, that's how I feel, ghibli movie kind of graphics.

What? Discovering the first temple after 25 hours?! How is that a positive thing?! I'm playing Twilight Princess right now and that is almost the play time I have right now and I'm at 3/4 of the game!

e65.gif

I've got time for that, I want the game to take at least 80 hours to complete. Ideally over 120.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member

Is there anything like having your own housing or whatnot? Can you make a space your own?

Ok can I get some previews from people that aren't long time Nintendo fans? Some of these previews are just kinda over the top that I just can't take seriously at times.

No game is perfect, and I would just like a more well rounded preview versus the hype that another great Zelda game is finally here.

skypunch

Banned
Ok can I get some previews from people that aren't long time Nintendo fans? Some of these previews are just kinda over the top that I just can't take seriously at times.

No game is perfect, and I would just like a more well rounded preview versus the hype that another great Zelda game is finally here.

This.

Plenty of these people have been harsh to other Nintendo games, and even other Zelda games.

Luigiv

Blimey, BotW really is a straight up "Immersive Sim". I was not expecting any of this 9 months ago.

I love Skyward Sword, currently replaying it on Hero Mode, and to me BoTW looks like the logical evolution of that game. Weapon durability and upgrades, stamina, areas packed with action leading to dungeons, Link have a greater set of actions. One preview mentions physics of shooting arrows, well that was in Skyward Sword too.

It seems like the major evolutions are a fully connected world, rather than sectioned off, and non-linearity. And I think the fully connected world is something Nintendo has wanted to do for a while but we're limited to by hardware.

So it seems to me Skyward Sword, love it or hate it, was an important stepping stone to get to BotW.

Roi

I took it as positive due to the fact that it took that long, and yet they're still gushing about the game, which presumably means that the world is just that fun and interesting to explore and get lost in. They did not mind at all being sidetracked. Plus as we all know by now, everyone has their own routes they can take when playing this game, so if someone is overly focused on getting to the dungeons, I highly doubt it would take that long.

Ok I didn't know that. Still, I don't want to play this game with a guide-book in one hand but discover it myself. Hope it's somehow obvious what to do if you don't want to 'discover' the whole world.

I have a feeling this one might come very close :)

Plum

There are plenty of previews from sites that don't have a heavy Nintendo leaning. Hell, Gamespot the infamous "8.8" site is absolutely adoring it.

bomblord1

Banned

The problem with this is so far EVERY outlet even ones that are typically heavily critical of Nintendo like Polygon and CNET have been glowing. There's even a few that have outright said they have tried very had to find fault with the game and can only come up with minor issues.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah like I said earlier, some of the hyperbole is off the charts in some of these previews. I get people are hyped but man I'd love some more level headed impressions.

I mean, just look at the OP. Lots of sources there.

Here are a list of previews that aren't incredibly positive on Breath of the Wild:

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I've said it before, but damn, if I don't come out loving Zelda's take on open world games, then I probably will never truly "love" the genre.

Probably, yes. You are right.
What I've found here is that the games pushes you A LOT to experiment.
The idea for me is that we will continue seeing different gifs/videos/images of the game showing us new/different ways of doing something we already did in another way, but also many (maybe little) things we dind't know were in the game at all.

Please note that the only open worlds I really liked were the 2 Xenoblade games so far, but this one seems richer in terms of interactions. Way reacher. Way way way way way richer.
Despite being as big as those (more or less), and equally satisfying visually

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Is the Beastcast spoilery at all, or can I hear it without being afraid?

They open with saying that you need to go into this game with spoiling as little as possible and not using a guide. So most of their conversation is generalized but spoilers can vary depending on what you have seen so far.

Chaos17

What? Discovering the first temple after 25 hours?! How is that a positive thing?! I'm playing Twilight Princess right now and that is almost the play time I have right now and I'm at 3/4 of the game!

Simple,
You're NOT forced to do it because of story if you don't want. You can go explore to your heart content the world before ever touching the first dungeon. How is it that hard to understand ? :)

phanphare

Banned

they're in the OP

Yeah I'm looking for them. GamerRevolution seems to be the closest we can get

Lgndryhr

So aside from some framerate issues this game sounds like it will be amazing. I cannot wait for next week. So glad I took March 3rd off now.

Kouriozan

You should probably check the OP for that.
Or you assume all those previews are from "long time Nintendo fans"?

"Dis game iz wack, N64 graphix on crack"
chadwarden.com

Yeah like I said earlier, some of the hyperbole is off the charts in some of these previews. I get people are hyped but man I'd love some more level headed impressions.

Here's a thought: maybe the worst part is that it's almost too good 🐋

Top Bottom