• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Firemind

This is something that I don't get at all, why some people feel the need to attach a cohesive context to Link's actions in order for the game to be interesting. The underlying mechanical function of the puzzle is the thing that makes it fun, not how well it connects to the rest of the game thematically. That's something you as a player brings into the game which may or may not even exist in the game, an intepretation. I know Zelda is supposed to be an adventure and I totally get that SS doesn't evoke that feeling while WW does, but that's not why I play games. You could literally turn Zelda into a level select map type of game like Mario and have it be an arbitrary collection of challenges filled with obstacles and enemies like Mario Galaxy's levels and I would still love it.
Zelda isn't Mario. And I say this as someone who loved Skyward Sword. Its best asset were the controls by far. Every Zelda has its strong and weak points. Doesn't make them bad.

Did he elaborate any more than that? Because that's every open world game ever made.

He did not say that. He talked about some changes that didn't feel very "Zelda", like some "fascinating" (his words) changes that includes crafting, having to cook and keep and eye on cold weather and stuff like that, like this micromanagement that is needed to explore some areas. He did not use the word tedious and ended up saying that the game was pulling him in and made him want to explore but he didn't because he was waiting for his personal Switch to arrive.

He said inventory management and cooking 3 minute cold resistance potions so you can go up a mountain is tedious.

I just listen to the podcast. He just seemed overwhelmed by the dramatic change of the Zelda formula. He didn't even sound disappointed, rather fascinated and in shocked how different it was.

Didn't get the vibe he was calling them tedious, rather he needed more time to play since he's
waiting to play on his personal switch. He seemed more impressed overall then disappointing in my opinion.

He said inventory management and cooking 3 minute cold resistance potions so you can go up a mountain is tedious.

he's still on the great plateau area, which is essentially a tutorial region meant to be taken at whatever pace you wish; one that allows you to explore many of the game's core systems without beating them over your head. so he's willingly (and admittedly) spent several hours within the plateau. let's just stop harping on his views and potentially twisting his words. it's a slightly hot take from a very knowledgeable video gamesman who has seen the tip of the tip of the iceberg that is this game

Marlowe89

I'm sure the dungeons aren't total shit or anything, but one of my favorite things about Zelda is tackling and finding my way through winding labyrinths and it doesn't sound like this game is out to scratch that itch.

What on earth gave you the impression that TP's dungeons were "winding labyrinths"? They all featured the exact same incredibly simplistic layout, contained puzzles that were laughably easy and had incredibly underwhelming bosses. The only thing you could say about them is that they were thematically interesting, but that's nothing more than aesthetic praise. Skyward Sword's dungeons frankly weren't much better, even if I liked the themes of Ancient Cistern and Sandship.

Did you play MM? Its dungeons were infinitely more complex.

I had the same concern, that this way with the shrines you loose the metroidvania progression style of the dungeons and how the different parts interconnect which led to aha moments in previous Zelda games. But then I realized Between Worlds and Skyward Sword in particular streamlined the design to the point you might as well consider the dungeons in those games as a linear series of isolated rooms, as in they can be considered as being independent of each other with very little meaningful interplay between them. While the individual rooms were of high quality, the metroidvania exploration aspect was completely gone for me.

I just haven't analyzed that much. I don't look at it like that. Dungeons are dungeons to me. The dungeons in Skyward still felt like great dungeons to me, I went through them, explored, found shit, killed enemies, solved puzzles, beat the boss. They were super well designed to me and were thematically brilliant with great music.

So, I guess regardless of what you or I think about dungeon designs-- that doesn't matter with my own personal concerns here. Saying well, the dungeons in Breath of the Wild are fine because I personally didn't care for the dungeons in Skyward or Twilight or whatever isn't really an argument toward the quality/quantity of the dungeons in another Zelda game.

And it's fine to not like the dungeons in those, we're Zelda fans, we don't ever see eye to eye and we hate the shit out of each other. :p But for me, dungeon quantity and quality is an important factor, a very important one, and me being happy with or upset with the dungeons in the new game isn't going to have anything to do with how others feel about the dungeons in other games.

What on earth gave you the impression that TP's dungeons were "winding labyrinths"? They all featured the exact same incredibly simplistic layout, contained puzzles that were laughably easy and had incredibly underwhelming bosses. The only thing you could say about them is that they were thematically interesting, but that's nothing more than aesthetic praise.

Well, here's how it works: when I played and replayed Twilight Princess a few times, I thought the dungeons were great and labyrinthine each time. Like I said above, if you didn't feel that way, alright whatevs. I'm talking about being potentially disappointed with the dungeons in this game. I don't really see how bringing up dungeons in the other games has anything to do with this except for the fact that I love the dungeons in some of the ones that some of you are trying to use to defend Breath of the Wild for *potentially* having lackluster ones.

The dungeons in TP and SS were not lackluster to me. That's the long and short of it and where our opinions are colliding all over the place. Those were excellent dungeons to me, so trying to tell me that they're bad is a) not something I agree with and b) not much to do with my personal concerns over the dungeons in this game.

Is that mainly due to the harder difficulty?

A bunch of reasons. This is a very, very different Zelda game (though it's still full of Zelda staples). Most people who play it are probably going to adore it, but there is a subsection of the hardcore Zelda base who didn't want anything major to be shaken up and the developers of this game weren't having that and they tripped over themselves to reinvent the franchise with this title. Most people are going to absolutely love what they've done, I think, but there will absolutely be a group of people who will long for the days of Twilight Princess.

Nanashrew

Banned
A bunch of reasons. This is a very, very different Zelda game (though it's still full of Zelda staples). Most people who play it are probably going to adore it, but there is a subsection of the hardcore Zelda base who didn't want anything major to be shaken up and the developers of this game were tripping over themselves to reinvent the franchise with this game. Most people are going to absolutely love what they've done, I think .

I've personally liked every Zelda game so I'm sure I'm going to enjoy Breath of the Wild.

I absolutely think this is the way to go with Zelda. Maybe do some more dungeon work for a next title (I don't mind the smaller number tbf but it's clear that it bothers some people), but continue to pursue this style of open world gameplay.

I absolutely think this is the way to go with Zelda. Maybe do some more dungeon work for a next title (I don't mind the smaller number tbf but it's clear that it bothers some people), but continue to pursue this style of open world gameplay.

I think we'll get a big, traditional dungeon with the DLC.

Makai

Next Zelda game should be a total conversion mod they put out in a couple years like Majora's Mask.

watershed

Banned
Seeing as how the game is already very difficult and doesn't offer any different difficulty settings, I wonder if Nintendo will release a free update with an easy mode at some point. I feel like there will be a sizable minority who will simply not be able to beat the game as it is. I imagine at some point Nintendo will want to make the game more accessible, though clearly not at launch.

Makai

Seeing as how the game is already very difficult and doesn't offer any different difficulty settings, I wonder if Nintendo will release a free update with an easy mode at some point. I feel like there will be a sizable minority who will simply not be able to beat the game as it is. I imagine at some point Nintendo will want to make the game more accessible, though clearly not at launch.
They announced hard mode instead

Marlowe89

The dungeons in TP and SS were not lackluster to me. That's the long and short of it and where our opinions are colliding all over the place. Those were excellent dungeons to me, so trying to tell me that they're bad is a) not something I agree with and b) not much to do with my personal concerns over the dungeons in this game.

Except you specifically tried to hold those dungeons up as if they were some sort of standard in your mind, citing their design as labyrinth-esque or whatever which is actually pretty objectively false. TP's dungeons are structurally very linear and feature dumbed-down difficulty compared to, say, MM's dungeons and it's not even close.

Except you specifically tried to hold those dungeons up as if they were some sort of standard in your mind, citing their design as labyrinth-esque or whatever which is actually pretty objectively false. TP's dungeons are structurally very linear and feature dumbed-down difficulty compared to, say, MM's dungeons and it's not even close.

My opinions are objectively false now, cool. Okay, can I say that I thought the dungeons in Twilight Princess were plentiful, varied, lengthy enough and fun to me? Because I can't personally say I felt that way about Majora's or Wind Waker's.

I want to be clear that I'm not worried about the game overall and I'm counting the milliseconds until Friday. I'm just not sold on there being over 100 small shrine things that look similar in place of a selection of thematic and more complex. Like the development effort that went into the shrines could've went into more dungeons proper.

Or I could love all the shrines and the dungeons available. I dunno. I'm just conversing and sharing thoughts!

ZeroX03

Banned

You know even with an easy mode, the majority won't beat the game right?

Hindl

Is that mainly due to the harder difficulty?

No. If what you liked about Zelda was the intricate dungeons that act as giant thematic puzzles and the classic formula of traverse the dungeons > some big plot development happens > do more dungeons > end game that oot standardized and most 3d Zeldas followed, then this game might be disappointing. It de emphasizes the dungeon and puzzle solving aspect in favor of exploration.

No. If what you liked about Zelda was the intricate dungeons that act as giant thematic puzzles and the classic formula of traverse the dungeons > some big plot development happens > do more dungeons > end game that oot standardized and most 3d Zeldas followed, then this game might be disappointing. It de emphasizes the dungeon and puzzle solving aspect in favor of exploration.

It really doesn't de-emphasize puzzles at all. It just handles them differently.

Jobbs

Banned
That too. Open world Metroid.

I'll still be shocked if Nintendo ever wakes up and "gets" Metroid for the first time since Super, but them coming around on Zelda and putting actual exploration into the series has convinced me anything is possible

mStudios

Replaying A Link To The Past now
fce2515bd75abb64e75fc43b9e9b5157.png

Firemind

I'm just not sold on there being over 100 small shrine things that look similar in place of a selection of thematic and more complex. Like the development effort that went into the shrines could've went into more dungeons proper.

Or I could love all the shrines and the dungeons available. I dunno. I'm just conversing and sharing thoughts!
Oh I agree that the shrines are more a dessert than the main course, but maybe the dungeons themselves, few as they are, will be awe-inspiring? It's good to be optimistic!

Marlowe89

My opinions are objectively false now, cool.

Opinions can be false, yes. You said they were "labyrinths" and I can't understand how they would even remotely fulfill that definition.

Okay, can I say that I thought the dungeons in Twilight Princess were plentiful, varied, lengthy enough and fun to me?

Sure, but if you're going to compare them to another game's dungeons such as MM or BotW, you need to realize that people are allowed to dispute them - especially if those comparisons are not given a whole lot of backing beyond "varied" and "plentiful" which is what many people would argue MM's dungeons were.

Somehow I get the feeling that you didn't actually play through MM, but I could be wrong.

Oh I agree that the shrines are more a dessert than the main course, but maybe the dungeons themselves, few as they are, will be awe-inspiring? It's good to be optimistic!

I hope so. If the ones available are good, then whatever. I guess in my mind I'm looking at how many shrines there are and how huge the world is, perhaps even overly so, and wondering maybe if some of that extra and potentially repetitive space could've been more dungeons instead. It's just kind of a bummer to me that you have a world so large, yet some of the least dungeons in the series. And I don't really count the shrines. Those feel like just a shitload of bonus areas to me.

Opinions can be false, yes. You said they were "labyrinths" and I can't understand how they would even remotely fulfill that definition.

They did to me. Perhaps your personal idea or definition differs to mine at least in relation to videogame dungeons.

Somehow I get the feeling that you didn't actually play through MM, but I could be wrong.

One might even say objectively wrong :p

sazzy

My local JB Hifi (Australia) is getting 18 Wii U copies (2 preordered) and about 100 Switch copies (14 preordered) of Breath of the Wild.

I'm getting the Wii U version.

Hindl

It really doesn't de-emphasize puzzles at all. It just handles them differently.

No I worded it poorly. It doesn't de-emphasize puzzles but it does change them. More it does away with the normal style of enter dungeon > progress until you're blocked by a miniboss > get item that lets you complete the dungeon. Instead most of the puzzles are physics based and can be solved with the beginning runes, and that might not be for someone who likes the old games

A bunch of reasons. This is a very, very different Zelda game (though it's still full of Zelda staples). Most people who play it are probably going to adore it, but there is a subsection of the hardcore Zelda base who didn't want anything major to be shaken up and the developers of this game weren't having that and they tripped over themselves to reinvent the franchise with this title. Most people are going to absolutely love what they've done, I think, but there will absolutely be a group of people who will long for the days of Twilight Princess.

The game really goes back to the idea of the first zelda in putting a completely open game in many many ways. The cute characters and wacky stuff is still here, the puzzling is still here, but in a way that really speaks to the many complaints that people had with this series for a while. Because this game really reinvents itself, it wll be the first zelda in years to be extremely relevant between not only the zelda fanbase, but many new fans and people outside of the series and lapsed fans, this is the game.

Seeing very briefly people talking about how to get some stuff, or how to get to that place and which is the better strategy they should follow really goes bakc to the first zelda, where people shared their adventures and tips to help people get stronger swords, hwo to find x dungeon, and things like that.

Maxinas

The sad state of today's gaming standards. Baby mode for all the casuals. At this point i welcome the hard mode from the expansion pass, i need my chest hairs to grow with thicker consistency.

No I worded it poorly. It doesn't de-emphasize puzzles but it does change them. More it does away with the normal style of enter dungeon > progress until you're blocked by a miniboss > get item that lets you complete the dungeon. Instead most of the puzzles are physics based and can be solved with the beginning runes, and that might not be for someone who likes the old games

Very true.

The game really goes back to the idea of the first zelda in putting a completely open game in many many ways. The cute characters and wacky stuff is still here, the puzzling is still here, but in a way that really speaks to the many complaints that people had with this series for a while. Because this game really reinvents itself, it wll be the first zelda in years to be extremely relevant between not only the zelda fanbase, but many new fans and people outside of the series and lapsed fans, this is the game.

Seeing very briefly people talking about how to get some stuff, or how to get to that place and which is the better strategy they should follow really goes bakc to the first zelda, where people shared their adventures and tips to help people get stronger swords, hwo to find x dungeon, and things like that.

Yep, this is a modern take on the original game.

You guys dont realize this world is the dungeon.

In many ways, this absolutely seems to be the case. Puzzles everywhere and not just in shrines.

FTF

Ahhh, ok. Thanks for the responses.

Firemind

I hope so. If the ones available are good, then whatever. I guess in my mind I'm looking at how many shrines there are and how huge the world is, perhaps even overly so, and wondering maybe if some of that extra and potentially repetitive space could've been more dungeons instead. It's just kind of a bummer to me that you have a world so large, yet some of the least dungeons in the series. And I don't really count the shrines. Those feel like just a shitload of bonus areas to me.
At least it's better than how they handled it with The Wind Waker where like less than 5% was actual traversable land mass. Like I said, every Zelda has its strong and weak points.

So is anyone else still playing a Zelda in anticipation for the release? Any reason for why you chose your specific last one?

I started poking into Link Between Worlds because I'd only played it once and it was when they started to open up your path of playing a little.
I also momentarily stopped into Wind Waker because it was the last Zelda game I felt a good sense of exploration in and it was also the last Zelda I have very fond memories of playing.

I don't like playing either too much right now however because I want to be fresh for the new experience in a few days, the little memory hooks are nice leading up to it. 🙂

watershed

Banned
You know even with an easy mode, the majority won't beat the game right?

I mean of people who buy the game. I think a lot of people will buy the game because, of course its awesome looking, but then not be able to progress because of how hard it is. That's just my prediction, and I wonder if Nintendo will want to address that demo at some point.

Top Bottom