• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Speely

Banned
He's kind of a wild card. I tend to disagree with him on alot of games but he's generally quite good about articulating why he does or doesn't like something, which I respect.

Agreed. I appreciate his surly, particular take on things. Maybe because I have been gaming for over 30 years and I respect a bit more of a jaded view ("jaded" not meant as a subtle slight at all.) I don't always agree with him, but I like him.

He didn't really sound disappointed to me. He says that he felt that the series needed changing for a while now, but that it really didn't need to change that much. He also calls the changes fascinating. The way he talks about the cold, crafting, and that stuff didn't felt like a major negative to me... just saying how things have changed? He also mentioned that the game really does pull one in and that he was keeping himself in the starter area (even though the game pushes him to explore) because he wanted to play the game on his personal Switch when it releases.

I don't think enough is said for how non-restrictive Zelda's lite survival elements are. It's not like you're made to engage in these mechanics just to keep your character afloat, as is the case with too many full-on survival games... where half of the 'fun' is babysitting meters and taking part in rote activities steeped in layers of realism. Most of the survival elements in this game, I can approach on my own terms (and noticeably more accessibly than in other games featuring similar survival elements, to boot), and the ones that I can't (temperature, for example) might as well be identical to the classic area-gating in old Zelda games - not too obtrusive, and encouragement for experimentation and further exploration.

Yeah Jeff doesn't sound negative on the game significantly. He sounds like he is being a critic (of games) and assessing it, and he also sounds like he is early in the game.

I would expect him to be suspicious and to want to complete the game before fully opining.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah Jeff doesn't sound negative on the game significantly. He sounds like he is being a critic and assessing it, and he also sounds like he is early in the game.

I would expect him to be suspicious and to want to complete the game before fully opining.

Oil and Water. Vinegar and Bleach. Zelda and Jeff.

Wereroku

I don't think enough is said for how non-restrictive Zelda's lite survival elements are. It's not like you're made to engage in these mechanics just to keep your character afloat, as is the case with too many full-on survival games... where half of the 'fun' is babysitting meters and taking part in rote activities steeped in layers of realism. Most of the survival elements in this game, I can approach on my own terms, and the ones that I can't (temperature, for example) might as well be identical to the classic area-gating in old Zelda games - not too obtrusive, and encouragement for experimentation and further exploration.

Also the temperature stuff seems to be something you can deal with once you get the proper outfits. I think Jeff's reservations are coming from him purposefully not playing the game past the early parts. I assume you get a lot of quality of life stuff once you start venturing out.

Again, he loves Ocarina of Time, Zelda 1 and 2, Minish Cap, and WW, and LttP is one of his favorite games ever. So I don't think Zelda has never been his thing

He hates Majoras Mask doesn't he? I don't remember him mentioning Ocarina with much fondness either, but I am a relatively new bombcast listener.

Mory Dunz

I mean, RE7, Nioh, Yakuza 0 and Horizon already came out and were really good

Yeah I wrote "games that already came out" in the list

There will probably be at least a few games announced at E3 that will come out this year too.

Oh, Ni no Kuni 2, Mass Effect, Sea of Thieves, Divinity Original Sin 2 and Nier are some games you missed.

oh yeah, dang.

Hm, a decade after 2007 let's see how it goes.

and Mario Rabbids will lowkey be GOTG
/s

Hindl

He hates Majoras Mask doesn't he? I don't remember him mentioning Ocarina with much fondness either, but I am a relatively new bombcast listener.

Yes he really hates Majora's Mask. He appreciates how weird it tried different things but thought it was executed poorly. As for Ocarina, he wrote the original Gamespot review for it, and awarded it Gamespot's first ever 10/10. Here's some excerpts:

Ocarina of Time definitely follows in the footsteps of the previous games, and the result is a game that can't be called anything other than flawless.
This game is the real thing. This is the masterpiece that people will still be talking about ten years down the road. This is the game that perfectly exhibits the "quality not quantity" mantra that Nintendo has been touting since the N64 was released. In a word, perfect. To call it anything else would be a bald-faced lie.

So I think you can say he's fond of it. Here's the full review
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-the-review/1900-2543677/

He has mentioned he hasn't gone back to it because he doesn't want to see how it's aged and wants to remember it the way it was when he first played it

Yeah I wrote "games that already came out" in the list
Sorry I missed it

So a speed runner named SethBling took 12 minutes to go from the Great Plateau (after obtaining the paraglider) to the Final Boss room. He didn't fight it though since it could be spoilers.

Just amazing how flexible this game can be.

he was specifically talking about an early point in the game where he had trouble with all the timers, temperatures, outfits you have to wear, foods you have to cook, materials to make the foods you have to cook... didn't mention anything about unbreakable weapons or extended life of weapons. personally i have no idea.

So what you're saying is the game sounds like everything I have ever wanted in a Zelda game. Cool.

Jeff gave Twilight Princess a completely deserved score of 8.8 due to how formulaic the Zelda formula had become. I really hope he gives this game a fair chance. I'm guessing he will, fortunately. I've got tons of respect for the guy, so I obviously have no issues with his opinion, of course.

Jeff Gerstmann called it like it was with Twilight Princess. I doubted him then and soon ate my words.

That said, I find him completely unwatchable in their system launch marathon streams.

He comes off as a guy entirely unwilling to meet entertainment halfway. Sitting down during Wii Sports, Barely moving his head in VR etc.

But that sobriety seems to allow him to spot flaws in games that many people during the launch hype are blind to.

So, I respect his views.

Kyzer

Banned
Wasnt the whole thing about the 8.8 that jeff hyped it up in the review as if it was going to score higher than it did ?

Wasnt the whole thing about the 8.8 that jeff hyped it up in the review as if it was going to score higher than it did ?

I mean, maybe (I honestly don't know what his pre-release impressions were), but in the end that wouldn't have mattered. He would have received the backlash regardless.

The Hermit

Jeff Gerstmann called it like it was with Twilight Princess. I doubted him then and soon ate my words.

That said, I find him completely unwatchable in their system launch marathon streams.

He comes off as a guy entirely unwilling to meet entertainment halfway. Sitting down during Wii Sports, Barely moving his head in VR etc.

But that sobriety seems to allow him to spot flaws in games that many people during the launch hype are blind to.

So, I respect his views.

I think the same too.

Hype is too blinding (cough*gtaiv*cough), especially during launch of a new system.

ReyVGM

I can't personally confirm this though.

From the spoiler free thread.

Sounds like someone that carried away by the 5-year long wait and the hype. Happened to me with Ocarina and Twilight. After a few years he'll appreciate the game for what they are and he'll love it.

Speely

Banned
Jeff is a prickly pear. In the GB awards 'casts, he had a hard on for Doom the entire time and then pretty much single-handedly ensured that Hitman beat it out at the last minute.

I think that's a good thing. To me, it says that he is willing and able to dial it back and look at games a bit more objectively even if he loves them. I like that in a reviewer/journalist.

They certainly tried. Lots of leaked stuff, though. The massive size of the world they created is on their side, though. Hard to leak everything about a game this big. ;)

Yeah. I'm just looking for a number and nothing more. Figured we'd know by this point lol.

Krowley

I mean, maybe (I honestly don't know what his pre-release impressions were), but in the end that wouldn't have mattered. He would have received the backlash regardless.

Well, I mean, he did give one of the best games of all time an 8.8... :p

Anyway, he's an honest guy, but his taste and mine haven't always meshed up well at all. I'll be curious to see what he thinks but if he doesn't like the game it won't worry me or anything.

arlucool

Bamboo 竹;231231485 said:
So a speed runner named SethBling took 12 minutes to go from the Great Plateau (after obtaining the paraglider) to the Final Boss room. He didn't fight it though since it could be spoilers.

Yes, that was fun to see. I only got to 8 min. mark, though, before the cutscene started playing. Don't want THAT kind of spoilers.

Also, can someone with the game clear up some doubts, please? If you set the system settings to spanish, do you get Europe Spanish or Latin American Spanish? I thought the latin version was great, and would love to play it as that.

How big is the world relative to something like skyrim?

Breath-of-the-Wild-Map.jpg

Firemind

Bamboo 竹;231231485 said:

I read it's impossible to beat it this way unless you're godly at the game or farm for better items.

watershed

Banned
I can't wait for the reviews to hit. I want to read how each reviewer played this game. It seems like even with everyone beating the main quest, there are so many different possibilities that everyone will write about a different story of their own.

ubiblu

The final map that recently appeared on GameFaqs equates to about 320 squares, noting that the Great Plateau in its entirety is just shy of 4 squares; that's 1.2% of the map! Factoring in fairly clear world borders, I estimate the Great Plateau to still represent no more than 1.4-1.5% of the playable space.

From my own time with the game last night (30 minutes as I'm waiting for the Switch version), the world seems manageable is size when surveying from the Plateau itself, which is far more important for ensuring enough content is there to populate it.

Hindl

WW wasn't much bigger than OoT? OH wait, that says it was smaller?!?

That map isn't accurate, but it's also only counting landmass. The ocean is excluded in that calculation. By that definition OoT and WW probably have similarly sized walkable areas

Smellycat

Whatever you do, don't go into the spoiler free discussion thread. All they do is criticize the game. Obviously no game is perfect, but sheesh. Lighten up.

Top Bottom