• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Marlowe89

I've been out of this thread since around page 70, but is there some sort of backlash causing doom and gloom? Having a hard time capturing the vibe.

Not particularly. There are some concerns here and there about the amount of dungeons and also the frequency of weapon degradation, but it's nothing too major. Most people who have a copy of the game seem to be having very, very good impressions.

We'll probably have to wait until release before we can have more sophisticated discussions about BotW's deeper mechanics and gameplay elements considering our limited access to the game now.

Wanderer5

So is anyone else still playing a Zelda in anticipation for the release? Any reason for why you chose your specific last one?

Playing some Wind Waker HD as a warm up for my WiiU.:p I never did beat it, and still might not before BotW takes me away, but I still enjoying some of it, especially now I just got the swift sail to make traveling faster if I wanted to.XD WW sure has a wonderful adventurous feel as you are roaming the ocean.

Lizardus

About weapon degradation, aren't weapons plentiful? Being able to make enemies drop weapons and pick them up seamlessly. At the end of the IGN "5 things" video, I saw Link hitting a bokoblin with flurry rush, during which his weapon broke. The bokoblin was knocked off his feet and his weapon dropped. Link picked it up and started attacking it again.

it seems pretty fluid and intuitive, always keeps you on your toes.

Streamlining is actually good thing for me. One of the worst aspects of the classic Zeldas is that you can find yourself wandering around a dungeon for extended periods of time with nothing to do because you don't have a key or something or you missed a room. This happens a lot more in games like LA and LttP. MM and OoT kinda have this in spots but not as often.
This is not a bad thing to me and it's something I severely miss in modern Zelda games. I feel like you should be puzzled a bit about sense of direction, you should get lost once in a while. My main problem with Zelda dungeon designs since WW is the feeling that you're being 'led on '. It feels like you can't miss anything. TP has massive dungeons but save for a couple of them they feel guided and it really then feels less like a big labyrinth and more like a series of set pieces or a collection of self contained puzzle rooms. That's less appealing design to me.

I'm super curious how the dungeons in BoTW will be. I hope they'll be vast and labyrinthine like the older games, I figure since there are few of them they should go all out.

Antagon

Any word on if Hero Mode/difficulty settings are available right from the start?

Difficulty settings are added later through (paid) DLC. Not sure how they're going to work.

The game is supposed to be quite hard however, even according to people that mentioned that they've just finished some soulsborne games.

Burny

I'm super curious how the dungeons in BoTW will be. I hope they'll be vast and labyrinthine like the older games, I figure since there are few of them they should go all out.

I'm the exact opposite of you. The more labyrinth like the dungeons are and the more chances there are of getting lost in then, the more I dislike them. It's simply not fun to me to wander around in all the same rooms for any period of time, wondering which switch or door I might've missed. Not as a central recurring mechanic. On the other hand, getting 'lost' during free exploration of an organic game world I find entirely entertaining. But the Zelda dungeons have always struck me as the most un-organic and to an extent boring parts of the world. A bunch of rooms with utterly abstract trigger based puzzles. Searching for a key to get to the next puzzle never was the series high point for me.

What I can agree with is that it doesn't get so much better by just eliminating the chances to getting lost. A linear sequence of entirely arbitrary puzzles lasting an hour or so is still just that. Completely antiquated as a game concept, even if the puzzles themselves have generally been entertaining. Other games have long since managed to build more organic worlds were the progress isn't divided into an hour of overworld exploration and story sequences, only to be utterly interrupted by an hour of grinding through trigger based puzzles.

Which is why I'm all the more hopeful that the short shrines and reduced amount of potentionally even optional dungeons in BoTW will finally make the perfect contemporary Zelda for me, not one stuck in a formula cemented in the nineties, that's been trounced in terms of how organically the game flows by other games since then.

Toparaman

Banned
Has there been any framerate comparisons yet between the Wii U version and the docked Switch version?

Edit: Based on the impressions thread, seems like the framerate drops are more severe in the Switch version.

ReyVGM

I'm the exact opposite of you. The more labyrinth like the dungeons are and the more chances there are of getting lost in then, the more I dislike them. It's simply not fun to me to wander around in all the same rooms for any period of time, wondering which switch or door I might've missed. Not as a central recurring mechanic. On the other hand, getting 'lost' during free exploration of an organic game world I find entirely entertaining. But the Zelda dungeons have always struck me as the most un-organic and to an extent boring parts of the world. A bunch of rooms with utterly abstract trigger based puzzles. Searching for a key to get to the next puzzle never was the series high point for me.

You are the exact opposite of most players then. One the most celebrated things about Zelda are the dungeons. I miss dungeons where I can get lost in.

takriel

I take it the reviews will be fairly spoilerific. I think it's best not to read them before playing for yourself. If you're already sold on the game, that is.

Burny

You are the exact opposite of most players then. One the most celebrated things about Zelda are the dungeons. I miss dungeons where I can get lost in.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. There's got to be a reason other adventure heavy games have rarely ever followed the overly heavy handed and formulaic Zelda approach and there's got to be a reason that BotW seems to be such a thorough departure from that antiquated formula. And that's unlikely to be the dungeon's puzzle quality or the bosses, which have been pretty consistently good in Zelda.

Not that I considered it antiquated when playing OoT around christmas 1998 or later Majora's Mask. But non-linar adventure games simply have progressed past throwing an hour of unskippable trigger-based puzzle solving in the player's face every other two hours since then.

NewGame

Banned
From what I've seen so far the dungeons are
good
and they have interesting gimmicks not seen in any other Zelda.

So far what really impressed me was getting up really high and gliding down over a large expanse while going into panic mode as you try to figure out where to go first. I'd really like to see how high you can get in this game because it is quite breathtaking when you get a sweet vista of the local area.

Toparaman

Banned
I've been out of this thread since around page 70, but is there some sort of backlash causing doom and gloom? Having a hard time capturing the vibe.

The impressions thread is pretty much confirming a somewhat barren open world, so yeah, looks like there might be some backlash incoming a la MGS5. Personally I think it might not be a big issue.

Rodin

The impressions thread is pretty much confirming a somewhat barren open world, so yeah, looks like there might be some backlash incoming a la MGS5. Personally I think it might not be a big issue.
People proved many times that they don't know how to judge open world content.

Has there been any framerate comparisons yet between the Wii U version and the docked Switch version?

Edit: Based on the impressions thread, seems like the framerate drops are more severe in the Switch version.
No they aren't lol

ZeroX03

Banned
I mean of people who buy the game. I think a lot of people will buy the game because, of course its awesome looking, but then not be able to progress because of how hard it is. That's just my prediction, and I wonder if Nintendo will want to address that demo at some point.

So do I. The majority of people who buy Breath of the Wild won't finish it.

Rodin

Basically apparently people can't list any complaints or minor annoyances they have with a game without someone coming along to harp on it, even if they still liked it overall.
Especially when those "annoyances" are actually amazing stuff for 99% of the people reading the thread lol

Chaos17

If it gets less than 88, we will never hear the end of the comparisons with Horizon (who even started that feud?)

Console war fans and salty players who want the game on their consoles but can't. Need OT so we will stop seeing this kind of post poping up, so annoying.

squid

What I can agree with is that it doesn't get so much better by just eliminating the chances to getting lost. A linear sequence of entirely arbitrary puzzles lasting an hour or so is still just that. Completely antiquated as a game concept, even if the puzzles themselves have generally been entertaining. Other games have long since managed to build more organic worlds were the progress isn't divided into an hour of overworld exploration and story sequences, only to be utterly interrupted by an hour of grinding through trigger based puzzles.

Which is why I'm all the more hopeful that the short shrines and reduced amount of potentionally even optional dungeons in BoTW will finally make the perfect contemporary Zelda for me, not one stuck in a formula cemented in the nineties, that's been trounced in terms of how organically the game flows by other games since then.

I agree. When I think of my favourite parts of past Zelda games, plenty of other things come to mind before the dungeons. The best part of Wind Waker was the adventure on the massive sea, coming across islands and discovering what they housed, getting to know windfall and other islands and the characters on them.

The best part of Majora's Mask was the atmosphere and world, the characters and their side quests, and the fantastic music. The fact it took everything you were familiar with in Ocarina and took it in a completely different, really bizarre, melancholy and dark place.

Even Ocarina of Time, Kakariko Village and Gerudo Valley and Desert were some of my favourite parts of that game. The Forest, Spirit and Shadow Temples were also great, but a large part of that was the atmospheres they had.

The best part of Skyward Sword was Skyloft and... well, not much else really. The sky was empty and the 'world' wasn't much of a world, as it was segmented and decidedly un-adventurous. Which is why Breath of the Wild looks much better for my tastes.

So yeah, while some might love the dungeons, they're definitely not the highlight of the Zelda games for all players.

Audioboxer

GBATemp already has a cheat trainer up that can max out weapon durability. As in put it at the highest number possible the game can recognise (basically destruction proof). Tempted to do it in the next few days :p New to homebrew but I tested what I could of their cheat guide and it works (getting a PC to pickup and communicate with the Wii U).

aravuus

GBATemp already has a cheat trainer up that can max out weapon durability. As in put it at the highest number possible the game can recognise (basically destruction proof). Tempted to do it in the next few days :p New to homebrew but I tested what I could of their cheat guide and it works (getting a PC to pickup and communicate with the Wii U).

There's a guide for it? Where?

I've been meaning to check out XBX again with some cheats for fun. Something like infinite durability could be fun for Zelda, too.. After playing it without cheats first, of course.

Audioboxer

There's a guide for it? Where?

I've been meaning to check out XBX again with some cheats for fun. Something like infinite durability could be fun for Zelda, too.. After playing it without cheats first, of course.

I found it a bit confusing to figure out, but this worked

Download the TCP Gecko Installer. Extract it to your SD Card into the folder E:\wiiu\apps\TCPGecko. Alternatively, also download CosmoCortney's cheat code handler and place it in the same directory (recommended). Proceed to run the Homebrew Launcher by visiting this URL with your Wii U. Finally, load the TCP Gecko Installer app. Press X to install the real time cheat code handler or A to start without it.

Files here: https://github.com/BullyWiiPlaza/JGeckoU

So on the SD card the TCPGecko elf and CosmoCortneys bin file. Boot up the homebrew channel on the Wii U, run TCPGecko, and push X to install it with the cosmocortney bin file (this has to be done every cold boot I believe, it's apps that run in the memory).

Download the latest trainer here (and follow progress) ~ https://gbatemp.net/threads/post-your-wiiu-cheat-codes-here.395443/page-273#post-7141244

Open it and enter your Wii U IP address. I found it from my router settings. Hit connect, and it will say connected. This means you're all good to go whenever you have the game. It is some sort of RAM debugging over your internet network. I don't really understand how it all works besides... magic :p

No files above are illegal in any way. Also, if that guys Wind Waker HD trainer is anything to go by, he knows what he is doing! https://gbatemp.net/threads/wind-waker-hd-trainer.434995/

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Huh, no ? I mean, the world is not barren at all.

Some people just strongly dislike any open spaces that aren't jam-packed with stuff to do. They want a super dense world with activities every 5 meters. Personally, I want a good mix. Some open "empty" spaces to simply traverse between the more dense areas will only add to the sense of adventure for me. And that seems to be what this world is.

Seems like an odd thing to do.

_______

When it comes to dungeons, I also like them big and easy to lose your way in. The frustration of being stuck is balanced out by the euphoria of working out the solution. I remember the ice temple (or whatever it was called) in LTTP as being a perfect example of this. You feel like you've done everything and you're still stuck and then you think harder about how rooms related to one another and...bingo!

aravuus

I found it a bit confusing to figure out, but this worked

Thanks! Doesn't seem hard at all, assuming I don't run into weird error messages obviously lol

I also really dislike durability systems, so it's nice to know there's a way around those if you really want to not worry about them

Man, I don't know where you guys keep getting this shit. We've had a thread up for days detailing the various ways the WiiU version is inferior, including frame rate.

Audioboxer

Seems like an odd thing to do.

Durability is a bit of a peeve of mine. Ymmv of course, but I've never frowned much on people cheating in a SP game. MP, toxic of course. SP it's up to you if you nuke some of your own fun.

Besides all of the usual debates about SP cheating, I just find it crazy how you can use an app on your PC to somehow realtime modify code running on your Wii U. Homebrew wizards!

Galang

Banned

I actually despise this aspect of 3D Zeldas also. I rather have concise smaller dungeons with a huge overworld over dungeons that drag forever.

Top Bottom