• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Hindl

Whatever you do, don't go into the spoiler free discussion thread. All they do is criticize the game. Obviously no game is perfect, but sheesh. Lighten up.

What? Most people are positive, and one guy started out incredibly positive and is starting to cool on the game as he gets deeper in. Which is fine, games can have their flaws

Whatever you do, don't go into the spoiler free discussion thread. All they do is criticize the game. Obviously no game is perfect, but sheesh. Lighten up.
Its fine. Griss' complaints dont even sound reasonable imo. He talks about how he must avoid enemies all the time because they are stronger than him because his weapons are weak and that he hasnt found a dungeon yet. Sounds like he doesnt know how to play.

jchap

This is very very wrong.

Best estimates put BotW at 1.7-2x the size of Skyrim. Not like 9x.

EyeUA9P.png

Its fine. Griss' complaints dont even sound reasonable imo. He talks about how he must avoid enemies all the time because they are stronger than him because his weapons are weak and that he hasnt found a dungeon yet. Sounds like he doesnt know how to play.

I think a lot of hardcore fans of the traditional 3D Zelda template are going to feel this way.

Me? His impressions got me excited to no end.

NewGame

Banned

Criticize as in flip out when we see that ____ is in the game and complain that the game isn't out yet.

Unless this is trying to bait-click the sweet little innocents into the spoiler mine field...

Speely

Banned
What ever happened to playing games and judging them for yourself rather than caring about what the internet thinks?

Have you met the internet? It's an armpit.

That said, I can see some folks having issues with BotW. It's an intrepid and chancy game. You don't make that kind of game while expecting no hot takes that don't align with your vision.

I think a lot of hardcore fans of the traditional 3D Zelda template are going to feel this way.

Me? His impressions got me excited to no end.
I feel exactly the same way for both of those statements lol. Im extremely excited to no end as well!

I feel like people who have been clamoring for Zelda to change really werent prepared for it to change and are stuck in some purgatory or somethin lol

MoonFrog

Certainly, BotW comes across as exactly the Zelda that spoke to the main lines of criticism against the series and in a convincing manner, by the current body of evidence.

Definitely a different approach.

It's hard to talk about how I feel about it in a non spoiler thread I guess, so I won't bother. It just doesn't sound good to me. But how something sounds can differ from execution, so I'll leave it at that for now.

One thing I can say is that I don't really like the idea that maybe they made so many (repetitive looking) shrines to make up for that. All the shrines I've seen in the media are just samey and they don't look particularly interesting.

I have a feeling that I'm going to love the game, but have personal criticisms and will likely miss certain aspects of say Skyward Sword. Which is going to be ass backwards for some people, but it is what it is.

Majora's Mask was fine. Wind Waker wasn't. It just depends how they designed them. For what it's worth, I found most in TP and SS incredibly disappointing.

I found those to have the best dungeons in the series. Also I didn't care for Majora's dungeons at all, and there was a lack of them. Wind Waker's were piss poor, yeah.

ubiblu

Majora's Mask was fine. Wind Waker wasn't. It just depends how they designed them. For what it's worth, I found most in TP and SS incredibly disappointing.

Now that the dungeon, story progression, and world formula has been upended, I don't think the number of possible dungeons is a problem whatsoever. The content of the shrines is already calculated to be waaay more gametime than any previous game's dungeon sets combined. You also need to remember that exploration is the primary focus this time around.

You see that sweet-ass looking dungeon? Good luck figuring out how to get to it. That in itself is going to be half the fun.

One thing I can say is that I don't really like the idea that maybe they made so many (repetitive looking) shrines to make up for that. All the shrines I've seen in the media are just samey and they don't look particularly interesting.

The media at large have only been able to showcase a palty sum of the total, found during the first 4-5 hours. We know the total number of shrines, it is huge, and many are hidden and only revealed after completing challenges or meeting other criteria (I believe). I would not let the shrines revealed thus far paint a rough picture of the collective

The content of the shrines is already calculated to be waaay more gametime than any previous game's dungeon sets combined. You also need to remember that exploration is the primary focus this time around.

A truckload of samey-looking shrines isn't as interesting to me as a set of labyrinthine dungeons with their own themes. In fact the shrines especially the number of them doesn't sound like a very big plus. When I heard there were over 100, my first thought was that they gimped out on the dungeons, and that seems to be the case.

I'm sure the dungeons aren't total shit or anything, but one of my favorite things about Zelda is tackling and finding my way through winding labyrinths and it doesn't sound like this game is out to scratch that itch. And you say that the primary focus of this one is exploration but I've found that to be the primary focus in all of them. Finding your ways through dungeons and puzzles is exploration.

I just don't think that having a possibly overlarge world means superior exploration. Some said Skyward lacked exploration, but it was full of exploration to me, at least the copy I played. :p

The media at large have only been able to showcase a palty sum of the total, found during the first 4-5 hours. We know the total number of shrines, it is huge, and many are hidden and only revealed after completing challenges or meeting other criteria (I believe). I would not let the shrines revealed thus far paint a full picture of the collective

Well, I'm not passing judgment on anything yet as I haven't played the game. It's likely pre-release jitters. But we do know the number of dungeons, and more than that, an idea of how big/complex they are, and from what I've read in the Edge review, I'm not expecting anything close to the dungeons in a lot of the games, and that does, personally, cause me concern.

I could be so off on all of this. And I don't know the context yet. I do know that the dungeons are like, a key aspect as to why I love Zelda. It's not the only reason obviously, but part of the reason I thought so highly of Skyward Sword was that it had 7 dungeons and they were all bloody phenomenal to me.

Firemind

I found those to have the best dungeons in the series. Also I didn't care for Majora's dungeons at all, and there was a lack of them. Wind Waker's were piss poor, yeah.
When people say dungeons, I also consider the lead up to the dungeon essentially part of the dungeon and Majora's Mask did an excellent job building up each dungeon. Which is why most dungeons in TP and SS disappointed me. They were dungeons to fill up play time. In a vacuum, Snowpeak Ruins and Sandship for example have fantastic concepts. If you think about it though, they are so seperated from the rest of the world that there are no consequences of beating them. You just collect the macguffin and be on your way to the next one. In Majora's Mask, each dungeon felt like a chapter in a book if that makes sense.

You see that sweet-ass looking dungeon? Good luck figuring out how to get to it. That in itself is going to be half the fun.
Exactly. That's part of the fun.

When people say dungeons, I also consider the lead up to the dungeon essentially part of the dungeon and Majora's Mask did an excellent job building up each dungeon. Which is why most dungeons in TP and SS disappointed me. They were dungeons to fill up play time. In a vacuum, Snowpeak Ruins and Sandship for example have fantastic concepts. If you think about it though, they are so seperated from the rest of the world that there are no consequences of beating them. You just collect the macguffin and be on your way to the next one. In Majora's Mask, each dungeon felt like a chapter in a book if that makes sense.

You won't be disappointed with botw then.

one amazing thing about this game is that watching different streams people are doing completely different things in completely different order and everything works.

Yeah I don't agree with this at all. Skyward also had dungeon build up and I thought each dungeon was terrific and way better than anything in Majora's Mask. We'll just have to agree to disagree there. Majora and Wind Waker have easily the worst dungeons in the 3D Zeldas IMO. And of course they're there to fill up playtime? And because you thought Majora's dungeons built up to them that they weren't there to fill up playtime? You've lost me :p

Been watching some previews, didn't notice how much enemies gang up on you.

I'm so use to previous Zelda way where only 2 attacks you and the rest wait there turn.

one amazing thing about this game is that watching different streams people are doing completely different things in completely different order and everything works.
I'm really excited about this aspect of it.

Still debating whether I want to beat the story right away or just mess around. On the one hand I want to see how much I can get away with while just ignoring the story. On the other, I don't want to wait too long and get spoiled.

ZELDAAAAAA

Yeah, this is exciting.

Most open world games actually aren't very "open" when it comes to the main story missions. You usually have no more than one or two tasks on the main path you can tackle at a time. Sounds like that's not the case at all here, which is awesome.

Firemind

And of course they're there to fill up playtime? And because you thought Majora's dungeons built up to them that they weren't there to fill up playtime? You've lost me :p
In Majora's Mask, beating Woodfall Temple makes the poison disappear in the swamp and opens up paths. Beating Snowhead Temple stops the blizzard and opens up paths. Before Great Bay Temple, you help a dying man fulfill his wish. Before Stone Tower Temple, you reunite a dad and his daughter.

I suppose you save the yeti's wife in Snowpeak Ruins but whatever lol.

jxN3

Haven't revisited this thread since the beginning when critics were saying this could potetentially be the best Zelda of all time.

Now that a few days have gone by, has that changed?

In Majora's Mask, beating Woodfall Temple makes the poison disappear in the swamp and opens up paths. Beating Snowhead Temple stops the blizzard and opens up paths. Before Great Bay Temple, you help a dying man fulfill his wish. Before Stone Tower Temple, you reunite a dad and his daughter.

I see, but... I don't think these things make the actual dungeons better or worse. The dungeons in Skyward and Twilight were also part of the story and things surrounding them. I suppose you're associating them with those things, so, whatever, that's obviously subjective so not much to say about it. I just know I want a good selection of atmospheric and well-designed dungeons, and TP and SS gave me that.

The content of the shrines is already calculated to be waaay more gametime than any previous game's dungeon sets combined.

When will people stop trying to twist the shrines into dungeons content? They don't replace actual fleshed out dungeons at all. Stop trying.

Kinsei

Banned
Jeff Gertsmann said it's tedious

No he didn't. He said all the systems at the beginning were overwhelming to him and that it didn't really feel like Zelda. He then followed it up by saying that he has barely played the game because he wants to play it on his personal Switch instead of the office Switch.

Makai

No he didn't. He said all the systems at the beginning were overwhelming to him and that it didn't really feel like Zelda. He then followed it up by saying that he has barely played the game because he wants to play it on his personal Switch instead of the office Switch.
He said inventory management and cooking 3 minute cold resistance potions so you can go up a mountain is tedious.

Ansatz

A truckload of samey-looking shrines isn't as interesting to me as a set of labyrinthine dungeons with their own themes. In fact the shrines especially the number of them doesn't sound like a very big plus. When I heard there were over 100, my first thought was that they gimped out on the dungeons, and that seems to be the case.

I'm sure the dungeons aren't total shit or anything, but one of my favorite things about Zelda is tackling and finding my way through winding labyrinths and it doesn't sound like this game is out to scratch that itch. And you say that the primary focus of this one is exploration but I've found that to be the primary focus in all of them. Finding your ways through dungeons and puzzles is exploration.

I had the same concern, that this way with the shrines you loose the metroidvania progression style of the dungeons and how the different parts interconnect which led to aha moments in previous Zelda games. But then I realized Between Worlds and Skyward Sword in particular streamlined the design to the point you might as well consider the dungeons in those games as a linear series of isolated rooms, as in they can be considered as being independent of each other with very little meaningful interplay between them. While the individual rooms were of high quality, the metroidvania exploration aspect was completely gone for me.

At this point you might as well chop them up into pieces I feel like, since it's so far away from what the concept of a traditional Zelda game was to begin with. I miss the metroidvania style that many Nintendo games were based on because while those individual room puzzles are still intact, at the same time they were tied to a kind of problem solving that demanded spatial reasoning in a macroscopic sense and you to connect the dots. Heck even games like Luigi's Mansion and Paper Mario 64's dungeons followed the same approach, now everything is all chopped up into pieces in the sequels. I'm pretty sure that the main dungeons in BotW will be very different from what we expect.

I suppose you save the yeti's wife in Snowpeak Ruins but whatever lol.

This is something that I don't get at all, why some people feel the need to attach a cohesive context to Link's actions in order for the game to be interesting. The underlying mechanical function of the puzzle is the thing that makes it fun, not how well it connects to the rest of the game thematically. That's something you as a player brings into the game which may or may not even exist in the game, an intepretation. I know Zelda is supposed to be an adventure and I totally get that SS doesn't evoke that feeling while WW does, but that's not why I play games. You could literally turn Zelda into a level select map type of game like Mario and have it be an arbitrary collection of challenges filled with obstacles and enemies like Mario Galaxy's levels and I would still love it.

Welp, I'm replaying MM3D now, I expect to finish it in a day lol, because I know it like the back of my hand, and still love it. I feel like this is the perfect one of the series to go into BOTW from, both games had concepts that strayed greatly from the Zelda format.

Top Bottom