• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

LotusHD

Banned
I have said quite a few times that I feel there is definitely bias with the Zelda franchise in the media. They are not untrustworthy always however with Zelda I feel they are for sure. I cannot look back at the previous Zelda games and agree with 90+ metcritic scores Im sorry but no... Skyward Sword especially and phantom hourglass.

Seems convenient.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I have said quite a few times that I feel there is definitely bias with the Zelda franchise in the media. They are not untrustworthy always however with Zelda I feel they are for sure. I cannot look back at the previous Zelda games and agree with 90+ metcritic scores Im sorry but no... Skyward Sword especially and phantom hourglass.

I don't think any of the zelda games (aside of Zelda 2 and the CDI games) are bad and I would score all of them 90+

Still graphics dont mean shit. If it did, everyone would own a pc and jerk off to high fidelity graphics. Gameplay is where it is at. Also, tales from my ass. You do not speak for the vast majority. lol What the fuck are you talking about.

Man, OrbitalBeardJr is a lot more foul-mouthed and aggressive than his dad is

I don't see why some people are offended by the mere suggestion that the game has less than stellar graphics. Obviously it is probably the close to the best it could be on Switch, but it is hard to argue that the game would be any worse if it were made with modern hardware. I'm not even disappointed by the visuals (maybe TV mode frame rate is a little disappointing), but I can recognize that the game could look much better. Clearly it is not possible given Nintendo's choice of hardware, so I'm not really bothered by it. Acknowledging what could have been possible isn't a crime.

Thatanas

Wondering if someone can answer:

Is there any music like the trailers in-game? While I appreciate the focus on natural sounds and the piano-esque sound, I would miss not having any music during gameplay.

Peltz

Yeah, the only thing going against it is graphically it's not as the top anymore.

Graphics are a bit more hyped on forums than mainstream I believe, but there's no denying the wow effect when I first played Mario 64 or OOT, it was probably the best looking game I've ever seen at the time. Zelda BOtW looks like it will age well alongside games like Wind Waker or Okamki, but it's a different type of beautiful here, more art direction than jaw dropping visuals.

It's pretty jaw dropping, but not in the Horizon Zero Dawn sense. Still for a (partially) handheld system, this game is as impressive (graphically) as Mario 64, Metroid Prime, or OOT was for consoles.

Plus, on the technical side of things, this game is wrestling with a physics engine in an open world with a stable framerate while still looking beautiful on underpowered hardware. It definitely is a technical showpiece in its own way, as much as Horizon or UC4. If you think "technical" accomplishments are only about image quality, then you have a very one-dimensional view about how to push hardware.

Lom1lo

I hope this is not a trend with Performance being better in Handheld Mode. They are basically locking me into playing handheld mode -.-

Bumhat

This thread has got me so hyped that my hand just slipped and I appear to have pre-ordered a Switch, BotW, and a Pro controller.

Oooooops!

VanWinkle

Haha that would be the logical thought process, but it's hilarious how many people focus so intently on visuals despite not doing what it takes to actually get the best visuals.

Zelda looks INCREDIBLE.

Because you can care about the quality of something without having to have the absolute best, most expensive version. I care a lot about graphics, but that doesn't mean I need to have a high-end PC. I can still be plenty disappointed and plenty impressed by games. Unfortunately, the Switch has a power level that doesn't allow Zelda BOTW to be impressive to me anymore (except from a handheld game standpoint).

I don't see why some people are offended by the mere suggestion that the game has less than stellar graphics. Obviously it is probably the close to the best it could be on Switch, but it is hard to argue that the game would be any worse if it were made with modern hardware. I'm not even disappointed by the visuals (maybe TV mode frame rate is a little disappointing), but I can recognize that the game could look much better. Clearly it is not possible given Nintendo's choice of hardware, so I'm not really bothered by it. Acknowledging what could have been possible isn't a crime.

This is what frustrates me. I mean, pretty much everybody would like it if the game looks better. Why else do so many Nintendo fans talk about beautiful the game is? Visuals must be important to them. It looks a lot better than, say, Twilight Princess. So if it even looked a theoretical generation ahead of what we got (which we be possible on PS4-PS4 Pro level hardware and certainly not out of the realm of possibility), that could only be a good thing to all of these people gushing about the visuals, right? So why defend them when there are clear and fairly drastic shortcomings in several areas?

Alas, since Nintendo decided to make it a handheld, we got the best or around the best we could have gotten, so it is what it is. I'm pretty happy with the visual output overall. Disappointed from a console standpoint, happy with it from a handheld standpoint.

Alienous

It isn't a phenomenon exclusive to Zelda. I've observed that franchises with a number of great titles have their poorer titles viewed more favourably than they would seem to merit. But I'd say that also happens with GTA and Metal Gear Solid, for example.

That said there are certainly Zelda games that deserve their 90+ Metacritic scores. Ocarina of Time? Wind Waker?

And it's all opinions anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

RRockman

Banned
One thing that I noticed that kinda bugs me. When ever I see link attack with one handed weapons he does the same combo. Can you not change the angle of your sword swing anymore?

Peltz

I hope this is not a trend with Performance being better in Handheld Mode. They are basically locking me into playing handheld mode -.-

To be fair, this is a launch game, and it will also likely be very dependent on what each game is trying to do. Increasing the resolution on an open world game when docking is likely a much more taxing thing than increasing the resolution on a fighting game for example.

Peltz

Skyward Sword is a +90 game. PH is an +85 game.

It isn't a phenomenon exclusive to Zelda. I've observed that franchises with a number of great titles have their poorer titles viewed more favourably than they would seem to merit. But I'd say that also happens with GTA and Metal Gear Solid, for example.

That said there are certainly Zelda games that deserve their 90+ Metacritic scores. Ocarina of Time? Wind Waker?

And it's all opinions anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Oh yes I agree. There are definitely Zelda games worth 90. The recent ones not in the slightest. 80's maybe but not over that. Yeah it's all opinions in the end but it's my opinion that they are skewed a certain way.

Yeah honestly, if that blurb about
a giant monster fight having an errant bomb going off, knocking down a tree, and then having the giant monster pick up that fallen tree to use as a weapon
is true, I can't possibly think of a single game that has this level of interplay between emergent systems and interactivity with the environment.

I think this will be remembered as the most complex and satisfying systems driven open world game yet.

More importantly, the game's AI is both surprising yet able to be learned. And I think that's what the real accomplishment.. Enemies behave as you would expect and because planning is such a huge part of the game it reminds me of Resident Evil 4's triumphs.

CaVaYeRo

Here's mine:

http://www.gamereactor.es/avances/378283/The+Legend+of+Zelda+Breath+of+the+Wild+-+impresion+final/

Absolutely loving it so far. Ofc some things I have to check when I complete it, but feel free to ask and I'll answer as far as I can.

BTW, did you know Switch game cases are pretty much same size as the Dock itself? I don't believe in coincidences:

nintendoswitch_2019123.jpg

unboxingdezelda_2020553.jpg

nintendoswitch_2019113.jpg

balohna

Because you can care about the quality of something without having to have the absolute best, most expensive version. I care a lot about graphics, but that doesn't mean I need to have a high-end PC. I can still be plenty disappointed and plenty impressed by games. Unfortunately, the Switch has a power level that doesn't allow Zelda BOTW to be impressive to me anymore (except from a handheld game standpoint).
GAF is obsessed with finding new GOAT things. Happens a lot on off topic side too ("Is X the greatest Y of all time?"). Kinda weird IMO. Zelda can be a great launch title without being an all-encompassing GOAT.

Speely

Banned
This thread has got me so hyped that my hand just slipped and I appear to have pre-ordered a Switch, BotW, and a Pro controller.

Oooooops!

Welcome aboard!

These previews... I cannot deal with my hype right now. I just can't. This game is going to be a treasure. It's really happening!!!!!

LotusHD

Banned

Meh, everyone knows it could look better, I don't think anyone would dispute that. But like, it's hard to argue that there's any real point to posts repeatedly bemoaning that it doesn't look as good as it could have, or wishing it was on a PS4, etc. Because realistically it's like, well... what do you want us to do about it? What we got is what we got, which imo looks pretty good considering the art style.

I don't understand why people have such a hard time accepting that a choppy framerate should not be acceptable for a game running at 900p in 2017 on brand new hardware.

Obviously this game isn't pushing any technological boundaries because it's running on an under powered machine.

Why can't we have this exact graphic style, just running more smoothly without people immediately jumping to defend poor performance.

The question is: Should a game that looks like this and runs at 1600x900 be locked at 30 frames in 2017?

There is only one answer.

ckaneo

It probably will be. There is no power in the dock.

Logically speaking increasing resolution comes at the cost of framerate

I don't understand why people have such a hard time accepting that a choppy framerate should not be acceptable for a game running at 900p in 2017 on brand new hardware.

Obviously this game isn't pushing any technological boundaries because it's running on an under powered machine.

Why can't we have this exact graphic style, just running more smoothly without people immediately jumping to defend poor performance.

The question is: Should a game that looks like this and runs at 1600x900 be locked at 30 frames in 2017?

All I know is my gut says 'maybe'

LordKano

Here's mine:

http://www.gamereactor.es/avances/378283/The+Legend+of+Zelda+Breath+of+the+Wild+-+impresion+final/

Absolutely loving it so far. Ofc some things I have to check when I complete it, but feel free to ask and I'll answer as far as I can.

BTW, did you know Switch game cases are pretty much same size as the Dock itself? I don't believe in coincidences:

Dude your screens are always the best ones. Every time, they are the less compressed/most appreciable of the whole bunch.

It would be different if it was built from the ground up for Switch but this is a WiiU port so yeah the choppy frame rate shouldn't be defended.

Skyzard

Banned
Framerate is not good. Game doesn't seem fast and smooth at all. Reminds me OoT on the n64.

I just played it at the London event.

udivision

The Wii came out 10 years ago. This debate has been played out, and there really is nothing more to say. There's no reason to pretend that Zelda is the best looking game ever, but there's also no reason for that to halt your enjoyment of the game.

Yes, outdated hardware. Nintendo. 2006, what a brave new year that was.

Again, it's 2017 and this is new hardware.

If it looks like this and runs at 1600x900, it should be running at 60 frames.

Who am I kidding? I'll play it and probably love it.

This was the year where we convinced ourselves that a tablet was a home console. That is the power we are getting from Nintendo in 2017.

Alienous

It probably will be. There is no power in the dock.

Logically speaking increasing resolution comes at the cost of framerate

I believe the Switch is supposed to run faster than it would in Handheld mode, and therefore hotter, and the fans in the dock would compensate. So, theoretically, there shouldn't be a performance decrease.

It's possible they overestimated how well the Switch could render certain effects at a high resolution.

Caelus

Framerate is not good. Game doesn't seem fast and smooth at all. Reminds me OoT on the n64.

I just played it at the London event.

I think one of the previews said the framerate is better in the final compared to the demo build? (1.0.0 vs 12S). Not sure how big the difference is.

Top Bottom