• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

ckaneo

I don't understand why people have such a hard time accepting that a choppy framerate should not be acceptable for a game running at 900p in 2017 on brand new hardware.

Obviously this game isn't pushing any technological boundaries because it's running on an under powered machine.

Why can't we have this exact graphic style, just running more smoothly without people immediately jumping to defend poor performance.

The question is: Should a game that looks like this and runs at 1600x900 be locked at 30 frames in 2017?

There is only one answer.

Why is the game not pushing technological boundaries and running on an underpowered machine mutually exclusive?

Are there wii u and switch games for reference on how it should run for it's hardware?

Again, it's 2017 and this is new hardware.

If it looks like this and runs at 1600x900, it should be running at 60 frames.

Who am I kidding? I'll play it and probably love it.

This was the year where we convinced ourselves that a tablet was a home console. That is the power we are getting from Nintendo in 2017.

Then why does it matter, really? We play for enjoyment, and you admit yourself you'll probably still enjoy it a lot.

The shrines and other parts of the game have constellations all over them, but I've yet to see a big, pretty night sky. Any word of if there's visible stars at night (unless it's a spoiler)?

All the time-lapse videos from Polygon have nasty weather or fog at night.

I don't understand why people have such a hard time accepting that a choppy framerate should not be acceptable for a game running at 900p in 2017 on brand new hardware.

Obviously this game isn't pushing any technological boundaries because it's running on an under powered machine.

Why can't we have this exact graphic style, just running more smoothly without people immediately jumping to defend poor performance.

The question is: Should a game that looks like this and runs at 1600x900 be locked at 30 frames in 2017?

There is only one answer.

The answer is that its running essentially on a $300 tablet so yes. Thats to be expected.

Alienous

Framerate is not good. Game doesn't seem fast and smooth at all. Reminds me OoT on the n64.

I just played it at the London event.

Perhaps a case of rose-tinted glasses? Or maybe it's the variance between good and bad performance that is throwing your perception off?

I haven't played it but I doubt it's that bad, given all the footage I've seen.

VanWinkle

I'm a bit worried about the framerate, from watching some of the videos. I'm not the kind of person who needs 60fps; I'm fine with 30fps sometimes, but I at least want it to be a solid 30fps.

I do agree that games should be judged by what the platform can produce. There are folks that would like to see Nintendo come up to spend graphically with the platforms around them and I don't see a problem with that.

Id like that too but it is what it is on console. If you really want Breath of the Wild at 4k/60fps then play it on a PC using cemu.

The haze you mention is part of the artstyle when it's sunny and bright. Again personal preference. The game looks far better in the gamersyde videos than it does in youtube videos.

Hopefully the framerate is improved with a day one patch. The day one Switch os patch might help it aswell.

Spinluck

Lol it looks like Shadow of the Colossus graphics, a PS2 game. God you fanboys get so defensive. I have a switch pre-ordered and will be getting Zelda day one. I'm just pointing out the obvious visuals. Keep kidding yourself then, its fine.

You sound like the defensive one here backing yourself into a corner with a dumb comment.

SoTC is no where near this game's graphically fidelity. It's literally a generation and a half gap.

Aww fuck it, THIS LOOKS AMAZING FOR A PS2 GAME!!!

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
oh man this is hard to read through. i really want to play this game so much. won't be picking a switch up until nintendo fix the joycon issue and any other hardware issues that may appear.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Framerate is not good. Game doesn't seem fast and smooth at all. Reminds me OoT on the n64.

I just played it at the London event.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves :p

Wasn't OoT capped at 20fps? But yeah, I agree with your point that the game could be smoother

Mr Swine

Banned
So I don't know if this has been brought up in the thread but Gamexplain posted a video where they compare the handheld and docked mode. Looks to me that when docked the game uses better textures, draw distance and shadows but runs a bit worse than handheld mode.

I hope that Nintendo releases a patch to stabilize the frame rate a bit

Read/watched some more previews and this game really does seem to be great. That said, there are some things I'm not feeling.

I don't like weapons having durability. I know you'll come across many of them throughout the game, but I've never been a fan of this type of mechanic. The combat looks serviceable, but most of what I've seen looks...not boring, but also nothing to write home about. (I should note that I'm talking about the melee/ranged combat with your standard weapons like swords and axes and whatnot, specifically.) Throwing weapons looks fun, though! Anyway, it doesn't help that animation in this game doesn't look all that good, to me. And while I do find the visuals to be lacking, the art on display is fantastic. Music as well.

All in all, as someone who has never really cared about Zelda games, this is the first one I've ever been really interested in, and I look forward to playing it one day.

BashNasty

So the consensus is that this has the chance of being a GOAT caliber game?

It certainly seems like it could be very, very, very good. I cannot wait.

Everyone bickering about the graphics in this thread is crazy. It's an expected type of crazy in these threads, but crazy nonetheless. Game looks fantastic.

Skyzard

Banned
Bit of an exaggeration no?

A bit better than OoT but not by that much ... :/

Switch is awesome though. Screen is nice, detailed. System is much smaller than I thought.

Joycons are wicked! And the dpad isn't bad on them. I prefer it to the pro controller dpad to be honest, that was super stiff but the pro controller itself is probably the most comfortable controller I've ever held.

Hopefully there's an improvement with release zelda because as neat as it was the Framerate and sluggishness including initiating an attack wasn't that hot.

A bit odd controls though, found myself clawing.

Bare in mind I only got 10 minutes with the game and it was the preview event.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
So I don't know if this has been brought up in the thread but Gamexplain posted a video where they compare the handheld and docked mode. Looks to me that when docked the game uses better textures, draw distance and shadows but runs a bit worse than handheld mode.

It would certainly be nice.
That video doesn't do Handheld mode justice since it's off-screen footage

ckaneo

I think that's just the way it was captured lol.

bomblord1

Banned
Id like that too but it is what it is on console. If you really want Breath of the Wild at 4k/60fps then play it on a PC using cemu.

The haze you mention is part of the artstyle when it's sunny and bright. Again personal preference. The game looks far better in the gamersyde videos than it does in youtube videos.

Hopefully the framerate is improved with a day one patch. The day one Switch os patch might help it aswell.

We don't know if it will even run at all when it comes out. And on top of that Cemu doesn't support arbitrary resolutions a patch has to be made to run a game at anything other than native and that could take quite a while even if it does run correctly.

Listonosh

as long as handheld mode is smooth, that's all that matters imo

i hope all first party devs treat handheld as the primary target for smooth fps

The same framerate stutters happen both in dock and handheld. In the desert area for instance it's non-existent. It's the grassy areas that take the biggest hit. It's not game breaking but its noticeable.

The people looking at a bunch of GIFs and youtube videos and saying it might be the greatest game of all time are the exact reason why I hate being a Nintendo fan.

It's like one degree of cringe separation from that basement dweller gamer stereotype.

Just a little cleaner and more colorful.

Meh, everyone knows it could look better, I don't think anyone would dispute that. But like, it's hard to argue that there's any real point to posts repeatedly bemoaning that it doesn't look as good as it could have, or wishing it was on a PS4, etc. Because realistically it's like, well... what do you want us to do about it? What we got is what we got, which imo looks pretty good considering the art style.
This is a fair assessment, but honestly I don't find it any more pointless to rave about the graphics. I think it's a reasonable evaluation. This is my most anticipated game and I even held off buying Horizon to play it, but there are moments where I wish the frame rate were more solid or the textures were sharper or the resolution was higher. When I think things like this, I don't think about it being on PS4 or wish Nintendo made a traditional home console or any of that nonsense. All it is is my personal evaluation of the game.

That said, the game looks absolutely fine to me, haha.

VanWinkle

I don't think anybody is asking for/expecting 4k/60fps. They just want visual performance in line with the competition in the console space. 1080p with 30fps and some nice motion blur, along with much better LOD and some AF. Those aspects alone would have made the game look much better.

But, again, it's a handheld. I know I can't expect more from this hardware. I'm just disappointed that it's not what it easily could have been from a power perspective.

73V3N

Banned
The people looking at a bunch of GIFs and youtube videos and saying it might be the greatest game of all time are the exact reason why I hate being a Nintendo fan.

It's like one degree of cringe separation from that basement dweller gamer stereotype.

First preview thread you are part of?

Again, this is not a Nintendo exclusive thing.

It happens with every fanbase for everything. Everyone gets excited (sometimes too excited) for the new thing.

handheald mode was captured using a camera pointing at the screen, they even said that at the start.

The difference in colours and sharpness mostly come from that.

Comet

I am so stoked for this. Blood moon, big enemy tossing little enemies, getting struck by thunder, tree chopping, etc. It looks AMAZING.

Also I can't believe people are dissing the graphics, c'mon guys. This is an interact-able Studio Ghibli world for crying out loud.

LordKano

b60.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I really wish we'd get some Wii U version previews.

Zemm

Love how in the thread of Horizon you posted a hokey play on your username as your reaction to the reviews pouring in but here, you question the authenticity of the impressions.
PredictabilityNeverWins.

Had that guy on ignore for ages, I can peg them so quick now. ZemmAlwaysWins

Why don't you call everyone out? Have you been in other topics among other fans before you only call out Nintendo fans?

And that Jason Schreier guy said this game is looking like an all time classic.

It's not really the GIFs alone. It's the sheer general level of interaction and incredible depth that seems to be applied to everything, the GIFs are simply clear examples of that. The learning curve for the game seems utterly staggering for a Zelda game or an open world game in general.

Neidii

While I'm really hyped for the game, and I got it for Wii U since I don't think Switch is worth my money quite yet, I still think that the low framerate and lag on a new console on a tv is unacceptable. Game looks really nice, love the art style and I'm sure it'll be really good but I'm not going to lie. The 30 fps lag on tv experience is terrible for something released in 2017. I wonder how the Wii U version will feel like, I hope it's playable.

LotusHD

Banned

K.

Yeah man I hate excitement too

It's a clear sign of being a basement dweller

pswii60

While I'm really hyped for the game, and I got it for Wii U since I don't think Switch is worth my money quite yet, I still think that the low framerate and lag on a new console on a tv is unacceptable. Game looks really nice, love the art style and I'm sure it'll be really good but I'm not going to lie. The 30 fps lag on tv experience is terrible for something released in 2017. I wonder how the Wii U version will feel like, I hope it's playable.

What lag? Input lag? I haven't read anything like that.

And many console games are 30fps, especially open world ones.

Mindman

After watching some of the gameplay videos in awe, I realized the only letdown for me is that music doesn't constantly play. Love that about Skyrim and Zelda could have endless melodies to adventure to.

In a funny coincidence, I immediately unpaused the Gaming Anthems playlist on Spotify after watching the videos and guess what played?? The Zelda theme!! :)

RRockman

Banned

Sorry we can't be as drab and banal as you are.

Top Bottom