• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Timeaisis

Framerate looks decent to me.

Do we know if these previews were played with the Joycon grip or Pro controller? Trying to get impressoins of joycon grip comfort while playing.

Alienous

The people looking at a bunch of GIFs and youtube videos and saying it might be the greatest game of all time are the exact reason why I hate being a Nintendo fan.

It's like one degree of cringe separation from that basement dweller gamer stereotype.

And yet here you are.

People are just seeing lots of things they like.

On top of this it's a new Zelda. And previews are wildly positive.

And it's a game that was announced 3 years ago that has seen multiple delays.

There's obviously excitement over how good the game looks, how positive the press is about it so far, seeing lots of cool shit in the videos and whatnot, and simply having a positive outlook about a game that we've been excited about for years now to play.

canocha

So I don't know if this has been brought up in the thread but Gamexplain posted a video where they compare the handheld and docked mode. Looks to me that when docked the game uses better textures, draw distance and shadows but runs a bit worse than handheld mode.

I hope that Nintendo releases a patch to stabilize the frame rate a bit

Wonder if they tried 720p output from the dock instead of 1080p. Will the game still render and 900p ou 720p?

ASIS

Read/watched some more previews and this game really does seem to be great. That said, there are some things I'm not feeling.

I don't like weapons having durability. I know you'll come across many of them throughout the game, but I've never been a fan of this type of mechanic. The combat looks serviceable, but most of what I've seen looks...not boring, but also nothing to write home about. (I should note that I'm talking about the melee/ranged combat with your standard weapons like swords and axes and whatnot, specifically.) Throwing weapons looks fun, though! Anyway, it doesn't help that animation in this game doesn't look all that good, to me. And while I do find the visuals to be lacking, the art on display is fantastic. Music as well.

All in all, as someone who has never really cared about Zelda games, this is the first one I've ever been really interested in, and I look forward to playing it one day.

wait what?

If this is your first Zelda game, then something to keep a note of. Nintendo games generally always favor inputs over animations. Meaning that you can change the action of the screen pretty much anytime you wish, unlike, say, Dark Souls. When watching it feels like the game has rough cuts in the animation, but playing it is entirely different, you will appreciate the responsive controls I assure you (provided the Joy Con fiasco is solved :p).

I am so stoked for this. Blood moon, big enemy tossing little enemies, getting struck by thunder, tree chopping, etc. It looks AMAZING.

Also I can't believe people are dissing the graphics, c'mon guys. This is an interact-able Studio Ghibli world for crying out loud.

I'm sorry come again? There is Blood moon in this?

...... Please god help me get through these seven, extremely rough days ahead of me.

Kindekuma

Banned
Framerate looks decent to me.

Do we know if these previews were played with the Joycon grip or Pro controller? Trying to get impressoins of joycon grip comfort while playing.

That's more of a hardware impression than an impression on the game itself... I'd check the Switch Preview thread for that answer.

VanWinkle

So I don't know if this has been brought up in the thread but Gamexplain posted a video where they compare the handheld and docked mode. Looks to me that when docked the game uses better textures, draw distance and shadows but runs a bit worse than handheld mode.

MAN. That looks worse than I thought it would. :(

Handheld mode looks great, though.

some of the nitpicking in here is ridiculous

We have multiple sources hinting that this is a contender for the all time list, maybe the top ten or better and there are people pissing and moaning about frame drops.

Does it matter? Really?

I don't think the textures are any different, it's just a by-product of direct capture footage vs filming your screen offhand. That frame pacing though, yikes.

We have multiple sources hinting that this is a contender for the all time list, maybe the top ten or better and there are people pissing and moaning about frame drops.

Does it matter? Really?

I never understood comments like these. Are we not allowed to find some aspects disappointing?

VanWinkle

Does it matter? Really?

ARGH. I hate this reductive argument. Yes the game will likely be amazing. We can still be concerned about the framerate. Framerate is important, whether a game is good or bad.

Alienous

Does it matter? Really?

What would you like us to discuss instead? Just praise? Or is a little bit of criticism allowed - just not framerate talk?

This. Sounds. All. So. Good. Please, very please, will you come soon next friday?

I have this feeling, as if this certain picture from the booklet of Zelda I is coming alive. You know, which picture I mean. This let my imagination thrive when I was a kid back in the day. It made me imagine how big of an adventure TLoZ was.

wait what?

If this is your first Zelda game, then something to keep a note of. Nintendo games generally always favor inputs over animations. Meaning that you can change the action of the screen pretty much anytime you wish, unlike, say, Dark Souls. When watching it feels like the game has rough cuts in the animation, but playing it is entirely different, you will appreciate the responsive controls I assure you (provided the Joy Con fiasco is solved :p).
This is actually one of the reasons I don't like more "realistic" animations in other games. Sometimes I just want my character to turn around on a dime while running. A lot of games these days force me to do either a weird circular pivot or a sluggish turning animation. I appreciate the detail, but I prefer function over form in those cases.

Does it matter? Really?

Of course not. So many of the all time greats have frame rate dips.

It's fine to discuss it though.

lt519

Wow these previews are glowing. I was supposed to take Friday off work, but I got dragged into some training, maaaaaay have to get out of that since I can't play Saturday.

The Third Heat

Neo Member
After watching some of the gameplay videos in awe, I realized the only letdown for me is that music doesn't constantly play. Love that about Skyrim and Zelda could have endless melodies to adventure to.

I'm the exact opposite. Fun at first, but I get to the point where if I hear the same song over and over again, I lose my mind. One of the reasons I struggle with a lot of JRPGs is because the music may be good, but it never. stops. playing.

Spinluck

Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Wind Waker had this, Ocarina of Time even had you able to do huge chunks of the main story in a non-rigid way. It's the very recent games: TP and SS that are a bit more handhold-y.

Those games were linear, but they tried masking it in their design. MM did a decent job.

Wind Waker came closest.

But none of them really had that sense of wonder and exploration.

I played Dragon Quest VIII and Twilight Princess around the same time back in 2006ish. I remember being very let down by *TP and floored by the sense of adventure DQ VIII brought with it's take on traveling an open world map. I know it isnt fair to compare a traditional JRPG with an adventure game but it was around this time I was beginning to feel Zelda fatigue. As I'm watching these gameplay clips and reading impressions, I feel Zelda has achieved things I wanted to find in the series but had not been getting and I'm so impressed Nintendo made this game. I feel this game completely nails a unique sense of traveling and adventuring that no other game has quite gotten down yet.

*the HD remaster of Twilight Princess has completely changed my opinion on TP now though. I appreciate TP immensely more and love it. I do still have complaints about the open world lacking to reach much of its potential, but after OOT and MM, it's my favorite 3D Zelda.

Played it a bit last night at a demo event Nintendo had. It was smooth. the water color-esque esthetic really comes out more appealing in person.

Really only played it for 20 mins, so obviously didn't get too far, but the gameplay was pretty smooth and intuitive. I was sneaking up to moblins, pushing stones, and climbing everything really quickly with relative ease.

Switch also seemed sturdy and well made. Switching back and forth was a cool transition, but there was a tiny lag between when the transition between playing on the switch itself to the pro-controller. Nothing major, just noticeable.

Cartho

I know it's hyperbolic, but I think this is going to be an all-time classic.

bowvEWh.gif

Stop it guys, it's too much.

Does it matter? Really?

So all the graphics and frame rate issues should be overlooked because it's being hyped??

I am extremely happy that the reaction is super positive. I need this and mario odyssey to be phenomenal, really happy for aonuma and co. too, it seems like they finally hit the homerun

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Haha I know you're joking but frame rate so far is my only concern. It seems like gameplay and world doesn't have any negatives from what I've read. Seems like this game will be absolutely amazing.

I really wish Wii U versions were out too. Very curious how the frame rate is there. Decent chance it's better since it's in 720p and doesn't have as much detail in grass and other stuff.

I'll likely get it there in any case as I don't plan to get a Switch anytime soon. But definitely want to make sure my hunch is correct, or at least the frame rate isn't notably worse than Switch, before buying. No biggie as I can wait for post launch reviews as I'm playing Horizon and Mass Effect first anyway.

ASIS

Does it matter? Really?

Of course it matters. It is an important detail after all.

The fact that it is being regarded as an "all time classic" by some even with these problems is a testament of the game itself. But it shouldn't be ignored.

I don't understand why people have such a hard time accepting that a choppy framerate should not be acceptable for a game running at 900p in 2017 on brand new hardware.

Obviously this game isn't pushing any technological boundaries because it's running on an under powered machine.

Why can't we have this exact graphic style, just running more smoothly without people immediately jumping to defend poor performance.

The question is: Should a game that looks like this and runs at 1600x900 be locked at 30 frames in 2017?

There is only one answer.
Framerate is very important, but why are folks so super intolerant with this game in particular when there are plenty of games on PS4 and XB1 that don't perform so well, as DF has documented. There will be plenty of games in 2017 on all systems that do not perform as smoothly as we would like.

Just seems the outrage is a bit selective here.

I am extremely happy that the reaction is super positive. I need this and mario odyssey to be phenomenal, really happy for aonuma and co. too, it seems like they finally hit the homerun
I can't wait for Super Mario Odyssey. It should be epic.

2017 might be one of the greatest years of gaming ever.

After watching some of the gameplay videos in awe, I realized the only letdown for me is that music doesn't constantly play. Love that about Skyrim and Zelda could have endless melodies to adventure to.

In a funny coincidence, I immediately unpaused the Gaming Anthems playlist on Spotify after watching the videos and guess what played?? The Zelda theme!! :)
Yeah, minimalist music approach is a bit of a letdown for me as well.

Top Bottom