• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Ehhh...I don't like the way he asked that question, but graphics are important to the vast majority of people. If this game looked way better, more in line with a great quality PS4 game, that could ONLY be a good thing.

But I'm just glad it looks pretty good, sometimes meh, but sometimes VERY good. For a portable, I can't ask for too much.

Still graphics dont mean shit. If it did, everyone would own a pc and jerk off to high fidelity graphics. Gameplay is where it is at. Also, tales from my ass. You do not speak for the vast majority. lol What the fuck are you talking about.

Instro

Visuals are the main thing. RDR is my top 1 game of all time but I just can't go back and play it now. It looks even worse than I remember. I like to remember it as I first played it.

That's fair. I have some of the same issues with 3D games in general, although not always. Remasters, or PC versions, really help in this regard.

To be fair something like this kinda happen in the Horizon thread where people were shitting on it even tho it seemed to be reviewed and praise well.
My favorite quote that someone said in that thread....

"88 in the Metacritic is good now? Or is this game getting a free pass just because?"

^very stupid thing to say especially if the games you like get around this score......and imagine someone might say the same thing because this is Zelda....ridiculous honestly.

Happens all the time. I thought it sucked when Fallout 4 was getting that treatment, and I hate Fallout 4 :p

It's all too easy -when you're not caught up in the hype for a game yourself- to sort of assume that there's more to that hype than meets the eye. I wasn't excited at all for Horizon until reviews started pouring in, but despite my negative outlook on Guerilla Games, before release I wasn't just making the assumption that the swirling hype behind the game was created solely by overzealous fans who simply couldn't wait for the next bombastic disappointment from the graphics kings. As though they're beholden to some religious extent to their brand loyalty and can't make decisions based on their own preferences like the rest of us can... It seems like that kind of shit is only 'safe' when you're addressing someone who's excited for a Nintendo game.

phanphare

Banned
What is a 2017 game supposed to look like exactly? There are lots of games coming out that vary GREATLY both technically and aesthetically.

I personally want to see what 2017 game, let alone any game, is doing all the things that zelda is doing in terms of an interactive open world

Kindekuma

Banned
wait what

Time for a visual aid!

jevcPs.gif

This is looking more and more like it's going to be a landmark game like Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, or Metroid Prime. Hype levels off the chart at this point.
Yeah, the only thing going against it is graphically it's not as the top anymore.

Graphics are a bit more hyped on forums than mainstream I believe, but there's no denying the wow effect when I first played Mario 64 or OOT, it was probably the best looking game I've ever seen at the time. Zelda BOtW looks like it will age well alongside games like Wind Waker or Okamki, but it's a different type of beautiful here, more art direction than jaw dropping visuals.

LordKano

Sorry to ask again but has someone found screenshots that has been taken with the capture button ? I wanna see how they are compressed.

Having avoided BotW info up until now due to wanting to go in fresh, I have to say I'm critically hyped about this game right now. Everything sounds like it's up my alley. Even the weapon durability sounds like it's done right, and that's a mechanic I normally don't like very much.

The smart AI, the dynamic environment, the way everything works together to make the world feel alive. Plus the attention to detail and the numerous surprises I've already heard even with the limited information I've been reading. I'll be using a deer as my main ride, thank you very much.

So thrilled to explore and experience this world.

I didn't jump on anything. I suggested he buy it and play it for himself. How is this a bad thing?

I take no issue with the, "Try it for yourself" advice. It's the suggestion that the media as a whole is hyperbolic and not to be trusted. And if you mean they're hyperbolic and not to be trust for just Zelda games, that accusation is just as bad. And even if you don't generally trust the games press as a whole, there are plenty of sites and individuals who can be trusted where the rest can't. They don't suddenly become untrustworthy because a Zelda game is coming out.

The games press isn't some kind of cabal that is going to rally around a release to assure its success. They are separate individuals and organizations that will conduct themselves as they see fit.

Yeah, the only thing going against it is graphically it's not as the top anymore.

Graphics are a bit more hyped on forums than mainstream I believe, but there's no denying the wow effect when I first played Mario 64 or OOT, it was probably the best looking game I've ever seen at the time. Zelda BOtW looks like it will age well alongside games like Wind Waker or Okamki, but it's a different type of beautiful here, more art direction than jaw dropping visuals.

I think it'll be fine. Mario Galaxy managed to standout and leave an impact as a 480p game when HD was the new hotness.

DMONKUMA

Happens all the time. I thought it sucked when Fallout 4 was getting that treatment, and I hate Fallout 4 :p

It's all too easy -when you're not caught up in the hype for a game yourself- to sort of assume that there's more to that hype than meets the eye. I wasn't excited at all for Horizon until reviews started pouring in, but despite my negative outlook on Guerilla Games, I wasn't just making the assumption that fans were actually all just fanboys who simply couldn't wait for the next bombastic disappointment from the graphics kings. It seems like that kind of shit is only 'safe' when you're addressing someone who's excited for a Nintendo game.

Yeah I see that. It's just unfortunate that the quote I posted is from someone that is a Nintendo fan so that doesn't help at all in these types of things.......of course I do look forward to these two as they seem like great time wasters :p

I'm pretty new to gaming as I have said, I only started in late 2013, but can someone explain to me why this game isn't getting torn to shreds for it visuals? The pixelation, it is smudgy, barely any detail on anything, the white haze across the screen, etc. I don't know all the proper names for things, sorry.

Is this just the way the games are, or is it because it is Zelda? I have seen games get chopped to bits because of this, I'm just wondering, as I have a Switch on pre-order and I can't wait to play this game. The last Zelda game I played was the first as I have games since the early 90s, so I am still learning my way around this hobby.

No need to beat me up either, I am curious.

Games visuals should be judged while taking into account the hardware they're running on. Breath of the Wild is running on a 393gflop GPU (that's about 1/3 of Xbox One GPU, 1/4 of the standard PS4 GPU and 1/8 of the PS4 Pro GPU). The game can also be played anywhere in handheld mode aswell which is a big plus point to a lot of people.

I think the game looks great despite it's hardware limitations. The size of the World, the grass tech, the draw distance, the steady framerate and the artstyle all make it look fantastic and completely different to the other open World games out at the moment.

I personally want to see what 2017 game, let alone any game, is doing all the things that zelda is doing in terms of an interactive open world

Yeah honestly, if that blurb about
a giant monster fight having an errant bomb going off, knocking down a tree, and then having the giant monster pick up that fallen tree to use as a weapon
is true, I can't possibly think of a single game that has this level of interplay between emergent systems and interactivity with the environment.

I think this will be remembered as the most complex and satisfying systems driven open world game yet.

Does anyone know if any more previews will be coming up throughout the day?

One of the best games to go back to in my experience is Wind Waker, and that's due specifically to the art style. It should be similar for BotW, it has a timeless art style. It's not trying to be "realistic for 2017" like many other games are, such that they will look dated in 2027.

Super Mario World has tested time and forever will. One of the best ever.

Xdrive05

That's interesting that the framerate is more choppy in TV mode than handheld! As long as it's very infrequent like they say, then no problem to my mind.

Rodin

The Zelda team were probably rushing to get this ready for launch, so they may not have been able to fully optimize for docked mode. I'm really hoping a patch at some point can clear some of this up. Still seems very, very playable though, so I'll live.
Yeah they did say that it's the exception at the end of the video, which lines up with what other previews have said. I was even starting to wonder if this game uses docked clocks at all when displayed on the TV, but without seeing at least direct comparisons of draw distance and other stuff it's hard to even make the assumption.

Visuals are the main thing. RDR is my top 1 game of all time but I just can't go back and play it now. It looks even worse than I remember. I like to remember it as I first played it.
Not being able to go back and replay an incredible game like RDR because graphics sounds absolute nonsense to me, but to each their own i guess.

Hmm...this is looking very good. I am content with the visuals as well, particularly on the handheld. Anyway, there are other games around to satisfy the graphical itch. A good time to be playing games indeed.

You literally can't play your favorite game of all time because the visuals are dated?

Not being able to go back and replay an incredible game like RDR because graphics sounds absolute nonsense to me, but to each their own i guess.

It's not just about resolution and textures. Empty buildings and lack of NPCs and world densityvare part of the visuals. Those aspects are very bad in RDR even though I remember them being good.

DMONKUMA

Zelda is also making me excited on other big project games that Nintendo have in development. Imagine if the next game from Retro has similiar treatment to this 😍

Have you tried it on Xbox One S?

I'm not even joking, RDR adhering to a stable 30fps is pretty transformative. It's still a decent looker and at a stable framerate it looks stellar in motion.

Alienous

That's interesting that the framerate is more choppy in TV mode than handheld! As long as it's very infrequent like they say, then no problem to my mind.

I'm thinking more about how it impacts other areas of the game. Will areas that make the framerate dip in Handheld mode result in it chugging in TV mode?

Shari

Has this performance been confirmed anywhere else? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9t2uY91kyg

I went to the reveal party on January and played the demo there, the performance on the tv was noticeably worse at times than on handheld mode but nothing to that extreme, in the video the TV mode looks REALLY bad in terms of performance.

Has any preview pointed this out? It looks really bad :S

I take no issue with the, "Try it for yourself" advice. It's the suggestion that the media as a whole is hyperbolic and not to be trusted. And if you mean they're hyperbolic and not to be trust for just Zelda games, that accusation is just as bad. And even if you don't generally trust the games press as a whole, there are plenty of sites and individuals who can be trusted where the rest can't. They don't suddenly become untrustworthy because a Zelda game is coming out.

The games press isn't some kind of cabal that is going to rally around a release to assure its success. They are separate individuals and organizations that will conduct themselves as they see fit.

I have said quite a few times that I feel there is definitely bias with the Zelda franchise in the media. They are not untrustworthy always however with Zelda I feel they are for sure. I cannot look back at the previous Zelda games and agree with 90+ metcritic scores Im sorry but no... Skyward Sword especially and phantom hourglass.

VanWinkle

Still graphics dont mean shit. If it did, everyone would own a pc and jerk off to high fidelity graphics. Gameplay is where it is at. Also, tales from my ass. You do not speak for the vast majority. lol What the fuck are you talking about.

Uh, yes, they do. If I care about the quality of food, does that mean I'm only going to buy the most expensive best quality? No, it just means I care about the quality. Terrible argument on your part.

Gameplay is more important. There is zero question. Visuals are also very important, though. As for the "vast majority," I say that from reading gaming forums for so long and having worked retail for ten years. Graphics are important to the vast majority of the many, MANY people I talk to. Probably well within the sample size required to make a claim like that.

killroy87

Haha that would be the logical thought process, but it's hilarious how many people focus so intently on visuals despite not doing what it takes to actually get the best visuals.

Zelda looks INCREDIBLE.

Yeah, and Galaxy 2 managed to get a 97% on Metacritic in the same year games such as Mass Effect 2, Bad Company 2 and Red Dead were out.

I played it for the first time within the last month. Sure it's got jagged edges all over the place, but the game remains fun. Add to that the clean art style, and it's still a great game.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Games visuals should be judged while taking into account the hardware they're running on. Breath of the Wild is running on a 393gflop GPU (that's about 1/3 of Xbox One GPU, 1/4 of the standard PS4 GPU and 1/8 of the PS4 Pro GPU). The game can also be played anywhere in handheld mode aswell which is a big plus point to a lot of people.

I think the game looks great despite it's hardware limitations. The size of the World, the grass tech, the draw distance, the steady framerate and the artstyle all make it look fantastic and completely different to the other open World games out at the moment.

I like the art style, however, I would love to see a little more detail on the faces of what I have seen so far. They have a partial nose, no cheeks, it is very weird looking to me. Just a personal preference though.

I do agree that games should be judged by what the platform can produce. There are folks that would like to see Nintendo come up to spend graphically with the platforms around them and I don't see a problem with that.

While the art direction is nice, the smudgy, the white haze, barely any detail could turn potential buyers away. It is Zelda though and I know by what I have read so far, that I can't wait for the package to come soon enough. Handheld mode is most certainly a great touch.

Kthulhu

I have said quite a few times that I feel there is definitely bias with the Zelda franchise in the media. They are not untrustworthy always however with Zelda I feel they are for sure. I cannot look back at the previous Zelda games and agree with 90+ metcritic scores Im sorry but no... Skyward Sword especially and phantom hourglass.

That's why people have opinions.

I think it'll be fine. Mario Galaxy managed to standout and leave an impact as a 480p game when HD was the new hotness.
True, but Gears of War took the spotlight as the game to see in person. It was incredible first time I played gears.

I don't think anything can be as impactful as MARIO 64. It was an achievement in gaming, 3D tech, controls, and set a new graphical benchmark. BotW might do all of those, but won't be a new graphics benchmark.

We'll see though, maybe it will be as impactful as Soul series which seems be the industry's inspiration at this point lol.

Top Bottom