• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

I thought the dock was supposed to give it enough of a power boost that this wouldn't be an issue?

I know this thing is under powered, but I didn't expect 900p30 to be an issue for Zelda while docked.

You would think so and expect it but who knows how the game engine handles higher res rendering right now.

It was a small issue at the press events of the past, it might be better now.

Elixist

It seems that some of the distant terrain is very ugly unfortunately :/

q7693Eb.gif

I know it's hyperbolic, but I think this is going to be an all-time classic.

Great to hear!

Press question, though. What kind of guidance does Nintendo (or other publishers) give press regarding defining embargos on "reviews" versus "previews"? Clearly Nintendo won't care if you (and other outlets posted in the OP) suggest that the game is "an all-time classic" before the review embargo is up, but these comments seem to essentially be review-type commentary to me. I realize that there's no numerical score associated with your comment, but your outlet (along with a few others) don't even assign numerical scores in reviews. The whole concept of a "preview" embargo versus a "review" embargo just seems like so much grey area to me.

I expected a 50/60 hours game, but I read two previews that say it's probably more than 100 hours, based on what remained to be discovered on their map. Incredible.

It's close to twice as big as Skyrim in world size, of course it was going to be way longer than 50 hours. I'm expecting to spend close to 200 in my first playthrough.

lol

Zelda will be a great game to play while I'm sitting on the toilet constipated from eating too much matzoh

sorry for the gory details non-jews

Better than the alternative during Tu B'shvat... All those seeds and dried fruit would make for a much more unpleasant toilet play session.

Incidentally why does every Jewish holiday get reduced to what it does to your bowels? Or is that just in my family...

Alrus

Why are you guys wasting your time. Any counter argument was already dismissed as "fanboys love everything Nintendo makes anyway" in one of his first post.

Courage

Some of the encounters I'm seeing in footage, and how it varies between your toolset, the AI, the physics, are truly mindblowing. People praise the open world in The Witcher III, justifiably so as the pinnacle, for its beauty, in lore and detail, but in terms of sheer depth in an open world, I don't think I've ever seen anything like this in the medium.

VanWinkle

Yah. Graphics don't mean shit

Ehhh...I don't like the way he asked that question, but graphics are important to the vast majority of people. If this game looked way better, more in line with a great quality PS4 game, that could ONLY be a good thing.

But I'm just glad it looks pretty good, sometimes meh, but sometimes VERY good. For a portable, I can't ask for too much.

DMONKUMA

feels like the review thread might be populated with its fair share of Horizon fans, explaining to us plebs how high review scores don't actually matter, they're all inflated because everyone overrates Nintendo games, shit's just an 8.8 really, if even that, and you're just a fanboy if you think it's legit, Legend of Belda hahahaha

man, as sick as Horizon looks, I'm not looking forward to another round of stooges comparing every single game ever made to it ala Witcher 3 and Bloodborne

To be fair something like this kinda happen in the Horizon thread where people were shitting on it even tho it seemed to be reviewed and praise well.
My favorite quote that someone said in that thread....

"88 in the Metacritic is good now? Or is this game getting a free pass just because?"

^very stupid thing to say especially if the games you like get around this score......and imagine someone might say the same thing because this is Zelda....ridiculous honestly.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
It's kinda funny how some posters can't stand people enjoying a Nintendo game for some reason, definitely a "Stop liking what I don't like!" moment.

To be fair something like this kinda happen in the Horizon thread where people were shitting on it even tho it seemed to be reviewed and praise well.
My favorite quote that someone said in that thread....

"88 in the Metacritic is good now? Or is this game getting a free pass just because?"

^very stupid thing to say especially if the games you like get around this score......and imagine someone might say the same thing because this is Zelda....ridiculous honestly.
Yeah, shit like this always happens on the internet. Too many people can't feel good about what they have unless they drag down what other's like

Pinky

Banned
What is a 2017 game supposed to look like exactly? There are lots of games coming out that vary GREATLY both technically and aesthetically.

Because of the visuals, or is there something else about the game you feel is off-putting?

Visuals are the main thing. RDR is my top 1 game of all time but I just can't go back and play it now. It looks even worse than I remember. I like to remember it as I first played it.

feels like the review thread might be populated with its fair share of Horizon fans, explaining to us plebs how high review scores don't actually matter, they're all inflated because everyone overrates Nintendo games, shit's just an 8.8 really, if even that, and you're just a fanboy if you think it's legit, Legend of Belda hahahaha

man, as sick as Horizon looks, I'm not looking forward to another round of stooges comparing every single game ever made to it ala Witcher 3 and Bloodborne

Posts like these always keep me out of hype threads, lol. No need for this.

Does anyone know if any more previews will be coming up throughout the day?

Visuals are the main thing. RDR is my top 1 game of all time but I just can't go back and play it now. It looks even worse than I remember. I like to remember it as I first played it.

One of the best games to go back to in my experience is Wind Waker, and that's due specifically to the art style. It should be similar for BotW, it has a timeless art style. It's not trying to be "realistic for 2017" like many other games are, such that they will look dated in 2027.

Top Bottom